The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martyn Williams

+5
deadfred
bedfordwelsh
ScarletSpiderman
dogtooth
Glas a du
9 posters

Go down

Martyn Williams Empty Martyn Williams

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:51 pm

So now, the end is near, will get get to face his final curtain? Regrets; probably missing that penalty in the HC shoot-out, but don't we all have a few.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Martyn Williams Empty Re: Martyn Williams

Post by dogtooth Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

i'm sure he will get some game time in rwc. the pool will be a brusing affair and he will be required at some point.

its not over for the nugget just yet.
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Didn't he sign a contract extension at the Blues? So not quite the curtain call yet, also there are still 240 mins of international rugby before the RWC, so he may play his way into the final RWC squad (or worse case scenario injuries to other back row players).

I would still not rule him out of getting into the 100 cap club just yet.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

Glas,

I am pretty sure he will get some gametime in the next two games. Anyway its not as if he's an unknown quantity.

Warburton has been seen as heir apparent for sometime now and rightly so, being given the captaincy as well is great IMO.

Really looking forward to seeing this bacrow combo go again, hope Dan and Sam get some gametime with Delve to.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

Nah. His career is Fatty's Leg I'm afraid.

Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:36 pm

I think he'll start against Argentina if I'm honest, but I don't think he'll be going to NZ.

Back to top Go down

Post by deadfred Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

I reckon hell get on the plane. If WG really wanted to see Turnball or Tupuric then this was a good game to play them - away from home against a top team and a full house.

Experience counts for a lot at WC - look at the never ending desire to play Phillips back into form - and if Wales are loosing a game with 20 to go and need to score tries MW is a great sub.

deadfred

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Honestly Rev, for his sake I hope not. If there is any game where he could get a horrible injury it's that one. I agree that he was right to retire last time and they were right to ask him back, but I saw him at PYS last season and he's off the pace in Rab C Nesbitt terms now let alone WC terms. Take him as the "40th man" motivational coach and player back up by all means. However if Turnbull or Tipuric had to give up their seat on the plane for him...
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:05 pm

Glas a du wrote:Nah. His career is Fatty's Leg I'm afraid.

5* comment
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

Sadly I think he will be at the RWC due to Gatland talking him out of retirement to go to the RWC. Surely Gatland wouldn't go back on his word.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:10 pm

If he consider's himself to be a coach worth his salt, those are the hard nosed decisions he has to make. Allow sentiment in and he's had it.

Put it another way, do you think Henry would have any compunction in dropping him in the same circumstances?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

Would he not be a useful addition within the coaching team...as a back up player / coach.
Huge experience - been there done it....and a wonderful player in his prime.

Would be useful to have in a world cup environment for young lads like Warburton....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Would he not be a useful addition within the coaching team...as a back up player / coach.

Would be useful to have in a world cup environment for young lads like Warburton....

abso flip lutely
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:33 pm

Glas - I meant it sarcastically, I don't trust a word that comes out of Gatlands mouth, no matter how much he bangs on about 'honesty'.

I do argree that as a 'water boy' he would be of use at the RWC, just not as a player in the squad. That said it is not my decision.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Thu 04 Aug 2011, 3:56 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Glas - I meant it sarcastically, I don't trust a word that comes out of Gatlands mouth, no matter how much he bangs on about 'honesty'.

I do argree that as a 'water boy' he would be of use at the RWC, just not as a player in the squad. That said it is not my decision.

Ah right I see, sorry.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 04 Aug 2011, 8:24 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Would he not be a useful addition within the coaching team...as a back up player / coach.

I certainly think so, imagine having MW giving you a bottle of water and maybe a passing comment on what their backrow or back line are or arent doing that he might have noticed.

Almost as good as having the worlds greatest goal kicker as your coach who also hands you the Tee's...!

as voted by 606v2 https://www.606v2.com/t2660-who-is-the-best-kicker-in-rugby-union

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 04 Aug 2011, 9:07 pm

Martyn Williams - great player and definitely has a lot to pass onto the young lads. Seems to have the right attitude to do that too.

Only probably being, Howley (one of the best scrum halfs of his generation) and top bloke. As coach - yuck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 05 Aug 2011, 1:54 am

SafeAsMilk wrote:Martyn Williams - great player and definitely has a lot to pass onto the young lads. Seems to have the right attitude to do that too.

Only probably being, Howley (one of the best scrum halfs of his generation) and top bloke. As coach - yuck.

There we go. Howley is a fair point. But yeah, I'd be happy to see Nugget out there in NZ as a mentor, but probably not a player.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 05 Aug 2011, 8:16 am

You only have to see Howleys interviews. The guy is not a born coach is he?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Mon 08 Aug 2011, 4:06 pm

But there is a difference to a water carrier and a coach - a coach (such as Howley should never have been an int standard, at least not for another 4/5 years) has a huge impact on the style of play, training ground moves, tempo of play and the players. A water carrier would just be there to reassure the squad, keep the atmosphere positive, offer advice and also already be in country in case Wales had a raft of back row injuries and needed him (not 1st choice obviously, but say if Warbs, Turnbull and Delve went down).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by dogtooth Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:20 pm

why is this in the international section. it should be moved to a new section on cardiff-blues-backrow-forwards
dogtooth
dogtooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

dogtooth - prob coz we're discussing whether Williams should go to the WC with Wales

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Let's hope it would work better for Wales than for the England Wendyball team with Becks!

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by cabbagesandbrussels Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

just to add, the guy is a legend and has been a great servant to Welsh rugby over the years. Would have got into most NH sides...

cabbagesandbrussels

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Tue 09 Aug 2011, 1:33 pm

cabbagesandbrussels wrote:

Let's hope it would work better for Wales than for the England Wendyball team with Becks!

But to be fair the England football team perform quite well - it's just the ridiculous over hyping of all their players and the expectation that they should win the competition when they are probably 6 - 9th best team and should be looking to get to the quarters.

It's a bit like if people expected Wales (rugby) to win the WC, just because they won't doesn't necessarily mean that all the players are rubbish or have let down the country, just means there are better teams out there.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down