The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't!

+15
RuckingFlanker86
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
maestegmafia
munkian
Knowsit17
Smirnoffpriest
Impossible Standards
Luckless Pedestrian
Totallybiasedscarlet
scoi
mckay1402
TycroesOsprey
XR
manofgwent
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't! Empty Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't!

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 12:45

Well well. Another defeat looks on the cards on Saturday. I really cannot believe that we are exactly 1 month from our opening WC group game and I don't think our coach has a clue of his strongest tram. He i's being hampered by injuries to some key players, but I now feel warren gatland will pay the price for not putting a squad together.
Hook starts at 15!!! What? Hasn't that experiment failed before?
10. Priestland. Good player. Only his 2nd start.
Is faletau now considered our first choice 8. When he's only got 2 caps.
Our team seems a mixture of talented, inexperienced players and out of form players.
If Matthew Rees doesn't come back. Will Lloyd burns be our first choice. His first start will be on Saturday.

I can see England doing a job on us this Saturday and that will lead to a team low on confidence and our inept coach not having a clue what our strongest team are.
3 wins in the last year. 3 in 14 games. Make that 3 in 15 games.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't! Empty Re: Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't!

Post by XR Thu 11 Aug - 12:54

Just thankful Bennett isn't starting

XR

Back to top Go down

Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't! Empty Re: Wales first team. Anyone know, because gatland doesn't!

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 11 Aug - 13:14

I think Priestland forced a change of thought last weekend at ten given how well he played. Likewise Burns needs to have a start if Rees and Hibbard are injury worries.

I think Toby is now our first choice 8 and he would have had game time in the 6n if he hadnt had an injury. Although I would like to see Delve.

This is our best team imo and I think pretty damn close to gats team.

1. Gethin,
2. Rees,
3.Adam Jones
4. AWJ
5. Bradley
6. Lydiate
7. Warburton
8. Faletau.
9. Phillips
10. James Hook
11. Shane
12. Henson
13. Roberts
14. Halfpenny
15. Byrne

16. Paul James
17. Hibbard
18. Ryan Jones
19. Gareth Delve
20. Lloyd Wiliams
21. Rhys Priestland.
22 George North.

Now people are gonna scream because there is no stephen Jones, but honestly this season Ive been more impressed with the scarlets when priestland has been at 10 than wellies. I do think Steven should go to the WC but the competition for the ten jersey has certainly opened up since the first warm up. Thats the point of selecting Hook for this next match at full back. If Priestland does the business again against England he may well go to the World Cup as first choice outside half.

If he does win the 10 jersey what then do you do with Hook? certainly he could be on the bench to cover four positions and that could be a good option, however he is clearly our most gifted runner in broken play (Shane is not quite what he was) so you want him on the pitch. Roberts JD2 and Henson are set for the centre and Im quite excited about those three being used there so Hook to full back is a logical option. Hooks problem is his versatility hopefully his time in France will allow him to mature into a really top quality OH.

Honestly I think we are about to see one of the most talented groups of players go to a world cup from Wales. Niggly injuries have hampered selection a little bit and Priestlands rise couldnt have been predicted but he deserves the chance to prove it wasnt a flash in the pan last week.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Thu 11 Aug - 14:08

I don't see how Henson is our best option at 12 at the moment. I'd play Ashley Beck over him at the moment simply because he hasn't done anything of worth yet.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 14:14

Hook at 15 i's a shocking selection. I'm actually angered by it.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Thu 11 Aug - 14:32

Its not too far from the strongest and there are questions to be answered before the WC

James Hook - who else has international experience at 15, could swap 10 and 15 but Priestland needs time at 10 so get it now rather than when it really matters
Gavin Henson - last chance, if he doesnt get anything beter than average he'll be out.
Rhys Priestland - best available at 10 or 15 and needs time
Lloyd Burns - close call between him and Bennett, at least we know what Bennett can/can't do
Luke Charteris - we're struggling for back up 2R's
Toby Faletau - Forming a good unit so get the game time now, would have liked to see Delve get a go as i think he'd be less prone to errors but the young lad can be a game changer.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 11 Aug - 14:48

IMHO this selection is a game to early - I wouldn't have complained if we put this team out vs Argentina .... but against a full strength England Headscratch

We need to look at full back:

Full back:
(Out and out) Byrne, Barry Davies, Martyn Thomas, Stoddart
(Players who can cover) Priestland, Halfpenny, Czekaj, Prydie, Hook, Steffan Jones, Dan Evans, Shingler, Tovey, Roberts

Byrne is in awful form but remains our only fit out and out Full Back. We can only hope he finds form but with a lack of game time going into the RWC what are the chances of that. I'm shocked he hasn't been given at least one run out vs England. Of those that can cover, Priestland, Hook and Roberts are the most experienced. I like many others think that 15 is NOT a good position for Hook. I'd go with Priestland or Roberts personally for the RWC and leaning towards Roberts because his defence is solid and I'd rather see Priestland closer to the action where he can bring his passing game into play and his knack for finding gaps. For me putting Roberts at 15 allows a more balanced midfield - less one-dimensional at the very least. We could go:

15 Roberts

13 Hook
12 JD2

10 Priestland

or go

13 JD2
12 Priestland

10 Hook

Keep Stevie on the bench in case we need to settle things down and Rhys can cover 15 too in which case we have choices for the last place in the 22 (centres mainly).

Also I'm puzzled as to why Yapp is ahead of Iestyn Thomas and Charteris ahead of Ian Evans in the squad. I'd definitely get those two in ASAP!
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 14:52

Scoi.
That i's my point. Hook i's the only player to have experience at 15. They weren't good experiences were they!!!
It's gatland's own fault that he hasn't tried anyone else at 15. He's had time to do so and byrne's form has been poor for 2 years.
It's too little. Too late.
I can't see how charteris i's considered back up. Bradley Davies and alun wyn jones are certainly not pulling up any trees. Another 2 who's form has deserted them.

I really fear a bit of a hiding on the weekend.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 11 Aug - 14:56

manofgwent wrote:Hook at 15 i's a shocking selection. I'm actually angered by it.

He's never a full back. I'd almost be happier seeing Henson there - at least I've seen him play well at full back, even if it was years ago!

For me the most ridiculous decision is Gareth Delve being released to play for the Rebels instead of being on the bench.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 11 Aug - 14:58

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
manofgwent wrote:Hook at 15 i's a shocking selection. I'm actually angered by it.

He's never a full back. I'd almost be happier seeing Henson there - at least I've seen him play well at full back, even if it was years ago!

For me the most ridiculous decision is Gareth Delve being released to play for the Rebels instead of being on the bench.

For me it's the inclusion of Charteris in a very underpowered front 5. But I guess there isn't much choice within the 39 man squad Sad
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 11 Aug - 14:58

Ian Evans - are you serious?
He's hardly played and he wasn't exactly lighting up the ML when he did. I think he never got over his injuries and is always branded with the 'potential' tag that we so love to hand around in Wales.
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 11 Aug - 15:03

Impossible Standards wrote:Ian Evans - are you serious?
He's hardly played and he wasn't exactly lighting up the ML when he did. I think he never got over his injuries and is always branded with the 'potential' tag that we so love to hand around in Wales.

So Charteris it is then Sad
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 15:03

Luckless. I should be happy to see 4 dragons starting for Wales. They deserve their call ups. I just wish that gatland had given the likes of faletau game time last autumn.
I don't know how much pressure gatland i's under to religiously pick the so-called star players to sell tickets for our autumn games, but we should use those games to blood more players.
For me. All you need to know about warren gatland's plans for the WC, were in his Fiji selection last November. Just 10 months from a WC and our 2nd row???
I give you: Ian gough and deiniol jones. Absolute frickin genius gats. Genius. Two 30 something's who aren't even involved now. What development!!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 11 Aug - 15:08

MOG, you're preaching to the converted here. It's the same at full back, where Hook's been moved back every time Lee Byrne's been injured, even though the world and his wife knows he's a) better deployed elsewhere, and b) not a full back.

I've said for a while that the Autumn internationals are meaningless games. It's not a tournament, there's nothing at stake. Gatland would have been better off experimenting then, and if he had, we might not be heading to the World Cup with novices in key positions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 11 Aug - 15:15

Impossible Standards wrote:

So Charteris it is then

Sorry TBS, don't like to upset people, can I cheer you up by saying I completely agree about getting I Thomas in and Yapp out? OK
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 11 Aug - 15:20

So Charteris it is then

Sorry TBS, don't like to upset people, can I cheer you up by saying I completely agree about getting I Thomas in and Yapp out? OK

No problemo fella. Just of the opinion that Charteris couldn't push my Nan over. Even crocked as Evans is he'd provide more grunt in that scrum by a country mile and I think we desperately need that physical presence around the park to help us secure possession. You're right that he's only just coming back from injury but even so I'd still put him ahead of Charteris. Things are that bad at lock IMHO.
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 11 Aug - 15:21

TycroesOsprey wrote: If he does win the 10 jersey what then do you do with Hook? certainly he could be on the bench to cover four positions and that could be a good option, however he is clearly our most gifted runner in broken play (Shane is not quite what he was) so you want him on the pitch. Roberts JD2 and Henson are set for the centre and Im quite excited about those three being used there so Hook to full back is a logical option. Hooks problem is his versatility hopefully his time in France will allow him to mature into a really top quality OH.

Honestly I think we are about to see one of the most talented groups of players go to a world cup from Wales. Niggly injuries have hampered selection a little bit and Priestlands rise couldnt have been predicted but he deserves the chance to prove it wasnt a flash in the pan last week.

I'm sorry but saying that just because Hook is one of our most exciting players, doesn't mean he should be at FB - I mean you could say Bennett is one of our most physical forwards, doesn't mean you want him in the 2nd row. Hook has bee awful everytime he's played at FB - the only thing playing him there does is wastes his talents and undermines the teams defence.

If Hook is the best 10 then play him, if he's not put him on the bench the same as for centre, just like you'd do for any other player.

And lots of people could have seen Priestland's rise - Gatland could have too if he'd bothered giving him (and Faletau, Tovey, Lydiate, Warbs, Turnbull, Tupric, L Williams, Burns) gametime before now.

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 15:22

Luckless. Totally agree. It's gatland's fault that there isn't much depth in ke areas.
With the AI's. It's not as if our full side even win against the southern hemisphere so why don't we give test match exposure to our talent?

I'd still have hook at 10. We've won just 3 out of 14 games in the last year and hook has appeared at 10
In all 3 wins. We haven't won with Stephen jones at 10 since the 2010 6 nations. Yes 18 months ago.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 11 Aug - 15:24

Exactly right, Smirnoff. The philosophy of getting your best players on the pitch at all costs is wrong if it means playing them out of position and weakening the side.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by scoi Thu 11 Aug - 15:25

Its been unfortunate that the 2 15's in the squad are injured, Stoddart has taken his chance well this year and seemed to have improved his defence a lot. With the 2 fullbacks gone it was down to the back-ups which are Halfpenny, Roberts, Priestland and Hook.

Hook had some bad games for Wales but that could have been down to lack of creativity from the rest of the backline. He did have a great game at 15 for the Lions though. It will be interesting to see if they swap 10 and 15 at half time on the weekend but i'm not too worried about Hook concern is with Henson's defensive game. If he shy's away from tackles the English centres will have a field day and then it will be down to Hook to clear up his mess and take the blame if they go over.

As for second rows, i agree that it was pointless playing Jones and Gough in the Autumn if they weren't going to be part of the WC squad. We are now left with 3 seconds RJ and JT. Our bench looks scarily lightweight and inexperienced when we are facing such a powerfull pack. A player like Gough could have made the difference if only for a limited duration.

scoi

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 15:26

Smirnoff. Correct.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 15:45

Another example. I personally don't think mike phillips' style of rugby suites the games we're trying to play. But I've given up making that point, because he's always gonna be picked. But can anyone tell me the last time Phillips or Rees (who's not even in the squad) didn't start for Wales. It's probably Gareth cooper!!! If Phillips does get injured. Who's been developed to stand in?? Knoyle(not even started). Lloyd Williams (8 starts for the blues)!!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 11 Aug - 16:06

MOG - it's all part of Gatlands genius master plan to get us ready for the WC by not letting any of our opposition a chance to know any of our secret weapons!

At least thats the only thing that makes sense.

Pitifully few SH's, FH's, FB's, Centres, no 8's, or 2nd rows given a chance - but hey be fair, Gats hasn't had enough time to build a team - its the next WC he's gearing up to with his new contract...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 11 Aug - 16:44

Disappointing is the only word I can think of. How Gatland can still be looking towards "front row strength in depth" at this stage is beyond me as Adam Jones has hardly played in a year and if anyone needs gametime it is him. How he doesn't even make the bench is an eyebrow-raiser to say the least.

Priestland and Hook should swap places, the latter has started three games at fullback by my count and failed to star in any of them, in fact Wales have been beaten comfortably every time Hook has started at fullback.

Henson's presence continues to mystify, although if he's been training well and regularly I suppose it's only logical he gets his slot in rotation.

No specialist lock on the bench, either Turnbull or Tipuric will have to come on out of position and quite frankly I'm sick of seeing talent needlessly wasted by being stubbornly thrown into a shirt they're barely, if at all, acquainted to.

Having said all that I still believe that with a confident mindset this side can win on Saturday, especially considering the England XV looks very beatable to me.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 11 Aug - 16:49

It looks less beatable than the last England side- which beat us Sad
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 11 Aug - 16:56

Oh, and Gareth Delve isn't even starting for the Rebels on the weekend.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 17:23

Luckless. That's incredible. I'm in a state of despair. Gatland has managed to take a grand slam winning nation backwards. I still think we have the talent but the guy leading us is baffling!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 11 Aug - 17:46

manofgwent wrote:Luckless. That's incredible. I'm in a state of despair. Gatland has managed to take a grand slam winning nation backwards. I still think we have the talent but the guy leading us is baffling!

A quote lacking in common sense considering it was Gatland who helped us become that GS-winning side in the first place. I'll admit his selection policy has been frustrating these last two years but credit where it's due. In any case, there's nothing to suggest it's purely Gatland as we've had a recent tendency of playing shoite no matter who starts.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 17:48

Surely that's it for delve then. He must feel completely alienated. How Ryan jones and powell kept him out of the welsh side for years. He's only be capped 11 times!!! Shocking!
Before he left for Australia last year. I remember him saying that there were cliques in the welsh squad.
Whatever peel and delve have done to be treated so poorly when the likes of Bennett and Phillips can do no wrong.
Gatland may be a good coach, but his man management i's absolutely abysmal.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 11 Aug - 17:50

manofgwent wrote:Well well. Another defeat looks on the cards on Saturday. I really cannot believe that we are exactly 1 month from our opening WC group game and I don't think our coach has a clue of his strongest tram. He i's being hampered by injuries to some key players, but I now feel warren gatland will pay the price for not putting a squad together.
Our team seems a mixture of talented, inexperienced players and out of form players.
If Matthew Rees doesn't come back. Will Lloyd burns be our first choice. His first start will be on Saturday.

I can see England doing a job on us this Saturday and that will lead to a team low on confidence and our inept coach not having a clue what our strongest team are.

Mate please name one team that do know their starting lineup...? I cant think of one..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 11 Aug - 17:54

mm,

I must agree with mog to a degree I am not confident with this team really. If A Jones is fit then surely he must play as he need game time, is Jenkins still injured to.

Hook at XV Really?

Delve released to sit on the BENCH for the REds surely he shoul have at least been on our bench.

Not a big R Jones fan but we have no natural No8 cover.

Priestland has great game last week but IMO is still only 3rd choice No10 behind Hook and Jones.

Where is Halfpenny? Is he still injured to
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 17:58

Knowsit.
A good team can win a grand slam but a great one would have built on it.
Lacking in common sense. We've finished 4th in the six nations since that slam. We've won 3 games in our last 14. Are we not on the slide? Are we going backwards?
There's an argument to say that gatland had nowhere to go other than down after winning a grand slam instantly, but he has been inept in building to this world cup.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 11 Aug - 17:59

And we are in no different situation to any other team. I dont understand the panic...

We are trying a few more fringe players, good, so are England.

I like the players in this team and want to see what they can do. The only important games we win are the ones in the RWC.

This is just a warm up game, win or loose it is all about getting it right for playing SA.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 11 Aug - 17:59

Hey Smirnoff honestly I agree with you, If priestland is number 10 then Hook should be on the bench, but I was trying to see it from Gatlands point of view.

I think until saturday last Priestland was being considered as a back up full back who could go to OH in times of desperation. After that match I think he is now being considered as an OH and possibly first choice, nobody would have said that last week.

Dissapointed at Delves ommision but I like Faletau so Im not fussed on that as the more he plays the better he will get.

Front row could have done with Adam in it but honestly giving him another weeks rehab and work alongside Rees, Jenkins and Hibbard is cautious but Im not bothered by it. Argentina are going to be a tough enough test for our lions front row.

On Saturday I expect us to have parity in the scrum just, I think we will win our own ball in the lineout, espescially with Charteris playing. We were good at the breakdown last week and I expect that to continue.

Honestly I think Gatlands picked a team to win and win well. No its not our first choice team which we will see next week for at least a half but it is a team thats building some continuity and now needs to win to kick on.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 11 Aug - 18:03

manofgwent wrote:Surely that's it for delve then. He must feel completely alienated. How Ryan jones and powell kept him out of the welsh side for years. He's only be capped 11 times!!! Shocking!
Before he left for Australia last year. I remember him saying that there were cliques in the welsh squad.
Whatever peel and delve have done to be treated so poorly when the likes of Bennett and Phillips can do no wrong.
Gatland may be a good coach, but his man management i's absolutely abysmal.

Another comment without a great amount of thought behind it. Might I ask how Delve performed in his 11 caps? I don't recall him smashing through brick walls or doing a great amount in national colours to suggest he's miles ahead of his rivals. As I said on another thread, he's a handy player to have in your squad but I'm not that fussed if he misses out.
The mention of Peel is quite frankly laughable. He's been injured VERY often and when he's not he's struggling to hold down a place at a poor AP outfit. No need to place the responsibility of that squarely on Gatland. Unless, that is, I am wrong and the coach should be blamed for global warming and the recession...

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 18:11

Maesteg.
It seems every team know their strongest team. New Zealand, Australia, the spring bold will after 2 home tri nations games.
Look at England. Martin Johnson said he'd look at everyone. He will now use the last 2 games to decide his last couple of squad places. We don't even know our best centre pairing, our full back, our fly half, our number 8, our best 2nd row pairing. It's a joke.
These games are all about putting the final pieces in place, not desperately trying to do what should have been done over the last 2 years. We're a joke.
Look at faletau. He's only had 2 games for Wales and could start v SA. So could burns. Priestland might end up fly half. Talk about chucking these players in at the deep end. I just hope the youngsters are good enough to get gatland out of jail.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 11 Aug - 18:17

manofgwent wrote:Well well. Another defeat looks on the cards on Saturday. I really cannot believe that we are exactly 1 month from our opening WC group game and I don't think our coach has a clue of his strongest tram. He i's being hampered by injuries to some key players, but I now feel warren gatland will pay the price for not putting a squad together.

How deliciously ironic, Wales have reinforced themselves with Dragons players in the pack, 2 of the very players Dragons fans have been harping on at Wales all season to select, and now Gatland has given them both a start we have a Dragons fan complaining!
Charteris is a monster who is a superb line out forward, the Dragons line out was fantastic this season, and Wales have selected Burns who normally throws to him!

There is nothing wrong with the Welsh team at all. Mitchell and James have never come off second best in a Welsh shirt prior to the England game, and really the only issue was James against Stevens, though that changed in the second half. It has also been pointed out since that Stevens was boring into Bennett, which a different referee might of picked up.

Priestland did well last week and deserves a start.

Ryan Jones has been poor for a few seasons and Faletau has come in and made a challenge for his shirt, Ryan will have to be a lot better to retain his shirt when he gets his next chance.

We have waited for years to try Roberts and Henson together, and frankly now they have a chance it is far better to have an attacking Fly Half making space for them. Stephen Jones is a defensive, crash ball fly half, Priestland will move it wide a lot faster.

There is no reason to assume Wales will get smashed in front of a packed Cardiff, we have a deadly back line with talented players who individually can change a game, fast, young moibile, aggressive back row, a couple of large powerful locks, who are solid line out jumpers, and 2 very decent mobile props.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 11 Aug - 18:30

manofgwent wrote:Maesteg.
It seems every team know their strongest team. New Zealand, Australia, the spring bold will after 2 home tri nations games.
Look at England. Martin Johnson said he'd look at everyone. He will now use the last 2 games to decide his last couple of squad places. We don't even know our best centre pairing, our full back, our fly half, our number 8, our best 2nd row pairing. It's a joke.
These games are all about putting the final pieces in place, not desperately trying to do what should have been done over the last 2 years. We're a joke.
Look at faletau. He's only had 2 games for Wales and could start v SA. So could burns. Priestland might end up fly half. Talk about chucking these players in at the deep end. I just hope the youngsters are good enough to get gatland out of jail.

First choice centres -JD2/Roberts
First Choice locks - AWJ/Bradley
First Choice Full Back - Byrne
First choice No 8 - Faletau

As for Outside Half, well Priestland or Hook now, with Wellies providing backup. Hook and Priestland will swap positions at some point on saturday which will give us a clearer idea of who is in the driving seat at 10 for teh Argentina game and WC.

Looking at the side Gats has picked he wants to know a few things, Is Priestland the real deal at 10? Is Henson capable of reproducing 2008 form? Is charteris worth a start against SA given their strength in teh lineout? He wants our second choice front row given more time together because there are clear worries over Jenkins and Rees. Adam is even more important in that situation so wrapping him in cotton wool is fine by me. This wouldnt have been the side if it was SA on saturday and everyone was fit but I totally understand the logic in Gatlands thinking with another warm up to go till the WC.

I mean MOG you spend years complaining about gats not picking dragons well here hes gone and picked a load and your still not happy.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 11 Aug - 18:36

manofgwent wrote:Maesteg.

Mate seriously ask five england fans who are the choice center pairing, fullback, flyhalf, 2nd row pairing or number eight and you wont get a definite answer.

They are the areas they have contention for too, most teams do...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 18:40

Knowsit.
Ask Gloucester fans how delve was playing when Powell and sideways jones were playing for Wales. 11 caps i's shocking for a player of delves talent.
Peel has had injuries. But there have been times when he's been fit and playing well. What did gatland do?? Picked Gareth cooper!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Thu 11 Aug - 18:40

11 of this England side are playing their first game of the season, while 11 of the Wales team have already played an International game.

Wales are fitter.

10 of this England team were involved in the game they got smashed by Ireland.

Wales have been trying to pick Roberts and Henson together for several years.

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 18:59

Maesteg.
The competition for places is completely different.

Fly half.
England.
Wilkinson v flood.
A world cup winning British lion v an in form 10 who had a very good 6 nations.

Wales.
Hook v jones v priestland.
Wales only 3 wins this year have come with hook at 10. Jones i's a lion, but i's nearly 34 and plagued with injury problems. Priestland. 1 start.

Full back.
England.
Fodder.

Wales.
Byrne. No form. Hook? Priestland, halfpenny, Roberts.

Centres.
England.
Tindall and hape. Possibly flutey.

Wales.
Roberts, Davies, hook, Henson??!? Best combination????

No 8.
England.
Easter. Haskell back up.

Wales.
Ryan jones. Works his sicks off, but doesn't carry enough ball. Sorry he carries plenty. Just doesn't go forward with it! Faletau. 2 caps.

I don't think the competition i's quite the same.
England are looking at exactly who will make up there 30. Wales still dont know who's making up the first 15.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 19:00

Alyn. I wish I had your blinkered optimism. Wales are fitter. Who are we trying to kid? England made a load of changes and took their foot off the gas.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Thu 11 Aug - 19:04

AlynDavies wrote: Charteris is a monster who is a superb line out forward, the Dragons line out was fantastic this season, and Wales have selected Burns who normally throws to him!

Sorry Alun got to disagree with this - Charteris is a big lanky guy who despite his 20st frame reminds me of a BMW 535 with a 994cc Fiat engine in it. Huge but no grunt. He offers a lot in terms of ball handling but we've already got AWJ who does that very well. He's very good in the lineout for the Dragons but I've yet to see him produce that for Wales. For all his Dragons form he's always looked out of his depth in a welsh shirt. We need a lock with some good old fashioned grunt.

AlynDavies wrote:Stephen Jones is a defensive, crash ball fly half, Priestland will move it wide a lot faster.

Sorry Alyn, again I've got to disagree. Jones is not a crash ball fly-half. He only takes it into contact if there are no other options on. The fact that he's a safe pair of hands in those circumstances does not translate into him being a crash ball fly half. His natural game is to stand flat and distribute to runners.

But Priestland will have more of a go - got a better running game.

My main concern about this game on saturday is possession ... as in I don't think we'll get much. 30% is a likelihood - 40% would be good considering ....
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 11 Aug - 19:29

Why oh why has he let Delve go only to sit on the bench. To me that means he isn't in the reckoning for a trip to NZ - Hope I am wrong.

Hook at XV - Doh that's been tried and failed before.

If A Jones is fit then he plays as he needa game time

Where is Jenkins and Halfpenny how are their injuries.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Thu 11 Aug - 19:38

Bedford. I've been asking myself the same thing. I haven't got a clue how lomg the likes of Rees, Adam jones, g. Jenkins and halfpenny are out for. Are we being kept in the dark. Any ideas??

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 11 Aug - 19:44

Reports I read said Ress be out of these two games but others said Jones n Jenkins be back, nothing on Halfpenny.

Gatland said Jones was fit but not picked, WHY - He needs game time as well.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu 11 Aug - 19:52

As for Halfpenny I can tell you he was pretty much fit last week and could have played but is being given extra time.

Some players Rees, Adam, Gethin, Halfpenny are being wrapped up until the world cup

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by RuckingFlanker86 Thu 11 Aug - 19:55

Some of the logic on here is baffling. Our front five are weak yet we've replaced Bennett and Davies with two bigger and heavier players. Makes no sense.

Last edited by RuckingFlanker86 on Thu 11 Aug - 20:53; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

RuckingFlanker86

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Thu 11 Aug - 20:49

Totallybiased,I have tried hard to think of a second row forward that has played better than Charteris has over the last 12 months in Wales and that list is blank.
Some peoples' 1st picks,AWJ and Brad Davies have been far from outstanding whilst Charteris has had a few MoM performances.Press hype and actual performances are miles apart.
Charteris might not be nasty but he gets around the park and puts the tackles in.Much underrated by the tabloids but good judges like Mike Ruddock and myself can see what he offers! Smile

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next