The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test?

+10
Carrotdude
Gregers
m@tt
trebellbobaggins
Stellar Key
alfie
teassoc
Liam_Main
Smile
GSC
14 posters

Go down

Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test? Empty Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test?

Post by GSC Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:43 pm

With England now on the verge of clinching the series and the #1 spot in test cricket, the 4th test at the Oval becomes a dead rubber. Gives England a chance to give youngsters like Taylor or Hales a debut in a no pressure situation.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test? Empty Re: Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test?

Post by Smile Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Maybe the one of Trott isn't fit. No point in changing half the team.

Smile

Back to top Go down

Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test? Empty Re: Chance to blood a few youngsters in the last test?

Post by Liam_Main Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

Taylor I hope is given a chance but it's hard to see how he'll fit into the team, who would England drop? Only way I can see Taylor getting in is if they rest Trott.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000094431208

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 13 Aug 2011, 2:52 pm

I'm not suggesting making wholesale or even permanant changes. Could rest a batsman heading into the ODIs
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:28 pm

I would make a couple of changes, on the basis that giving a couple of others experience would be a wise long-term investment. I'd bring in Taylor for Morgan, and Tremlett for Bresnan.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

No chance of any changes except the return of Trott. Flower and co are not playing games , they want to keep winning.

Fair enough too

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Sat 13 Aug 2011, 4:43 pm

teassoc wrote:I would make a couple of changes, on the basis that giving a couple of others experience would be a wise long-term investment. I'd bring in Taylor for Morgan, and Tremlett for Bresnan.

Dead rubber gives GM etc the chance to play a newbie or another bowler but they won't . Doh

Only change may be Bopara dropped and Jonathan Trott returning.

Wasted opportunity. raspberry

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:01 pm

If Trott isn't ready i'd like to see Taylor in for Bopara.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:04 pm

If Trott isn't 100 percent then I would rest him and bring in Taylor. Perfect chance for him to play his 1st game. Nothing better than to be playing in a winning side.
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by m@tt Sat 13 Aug 2011, 8:25 pm

It may be a good idea to let Trott rest before the ODI series. If that happens, the selectors will probably give Bopara another go, even though most people would rather Taylor be given a go.
m@tt
m@tt

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

Well we have our answer...

Still no Trott , but no Taylor. Bopara gets another "last chance" - unless the "5 bowler" advocates are about to be rewarded...

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Stellar Key Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:16 pm

Well IF the pitch is Flat with no great bounce carry or movement ( as Oval pitches usually are ) then I really hope Flower and Capn Strauss opt for 5 bowlers.

We just scored 700 for not many on a helpful wicket so do we need the extra batter.

My view is if the pitch is a belter then play the extra bowler.

Stellar Key

Back to top Go down

Post by Gregers Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:27 pm

WHY IS BOPARA STILL IN THIS SQUAD?????

What does he add?

Gregers

https://www.facebook.com/Gregers25

Back to top Go down

Post by Carrotdude Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:08 pm

Not only did he fail with the bat, he's also a lazy fielder - see the way he dived straight over a ball hit to mid off. I'm sure he did that so he wouldn't have to chase it down.

Carrotdude

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:13 pm

There's no such thing as a dead rubber match in test cricket, each and every match means something.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:36 pm

Theres a certainly a difference for a must win game however.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon 15 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:There's no such thing as a dead rubber match in test cricket, each and every match means something.

Agree with this entirely. England have only just earned the number 1 status. They now need to cement that status. You don't achieve that by playing about with a winning formula. It's not enough to beat India: Let's pummel them. That's how the best teams think.

In addition, I'm not sure if it helps a young player to be brought in for one test, knowing they'll be discarded immediately. Let's not forget that Taylor's hardly having a stellar season anyway. Young players find it easier to fit into a settled, successful squad, and need to be given a run. At some point a batsman will get injured or retire. Taylor will have his chance then. Hopefully at the time he will be in decent form and will grab his chance. I don't see the point in forcing the issue when you don't need to.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:51 pm

i think the selectors will rest trott and play taylor

Back to top Go down

Post by Smile Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:55 pm

Is Taylor in the squad?

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

lol didnt even realise the selectors had named a squad yet for the 4th test

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:29 pm

One further consideration:

Having taken the #1 spot in the rankings, we can potentially lose this between the end of this series and our next Test match - South Africa have a Test series wehre they can gain sufficient points to take over. As such, we should be looking to win this Test so that we extend the rankings lead as far as possible.

Squad has been named, as an unchanged 13 from last week, so Finn and Tremlett included. Trott still missing with his shoulder injury, so Bopara retains his place.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Mon 15 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

There's no such thing as a dead rubber match in test cricket, each and every match means something.

Though you are theoretically correct, there is a psychological difference in a game after the series is decided. Remember how we used to win the dead rubber game against the Aussies? They just didn't have the same bite. The Blackwash series' stood out simply because 5-0 was so rare.

From what I've seen, England seem well aware of Dead Rubber Syndrome, and are looking to emphasise their dominance with a 4-0 series. It'll be interesting to see if they can.

If the Indians react to their defeats out of hurt pride (and they've got to be hurting) the Oval could very well be the best match of the series!

Dummyhalf: I think the Saffers are more of a threat to us than any other side. If this England and Wales team has a weakness, it's against good genuinely fast bowling and SA have that.

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:44 pm

or we could play a full strength team and smash them 4-0 Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam_Main Mon 15 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Looks like we are, same squad as the 3rd Test
Liam_Main
Liam_Main

Back to top Go down

Post by teassoc Mon 15 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

Latest news is that Tremlett and Anderson might not be fit for this test. Onions has been brought in as cover.

teassoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down