The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion

+13
boomeranga
aucklandlaurie
TycroesOsprey
flankertye
Standulstermen
emack2
Taylorman
fa0019
greybeard
Boston Exile
Full Credit
chewed_mintie
Shifty
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion - Page 2 Empty South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion

Post by Shifty Sat 13 Aug 2011 - 16:52

First topic message reminder :

http://rugby.opticon.hu/meccsek/110813HrNemz-Del-Afr-Ausztr.avi
Here is a download link to the game if anyone hasn't seen it yet.

South Africa's World Cup preparations suffered a major blow as they slipped to a third straight Tri-Nations defeat against Australia at Durban's King's Park.

Penalties from Francois Steyn and Butch James, to one from James O'Connor, saw the hosts lead 6-3 at half-time.

Pat McCabe's try put the Wallabies ahead before James's second penalty edged the Boks back in front.

But two more O'Connor penalties in the final quarter saw Australia home.

The Springboks recalled a host of front-line players after a long period of inactivity but despite fielding the most experienced Test side in their history, they could not fashion a try.

They have only one match left, against the in-form All Blacks next Saturday, to recover some form and momentum before they open the defence of their world crown against Wales on 11 September.

New Zealand have opted to rest captain Richie McCaw, fly-half Dan Carter and a host of other leading names for their Tri-Nations match against the Springboks in Port Elizabeth next Saturday, 20 August.

Number eight Kieran Read, lock Brad Thorn, prop Owen Franks and backs Mils Muliaina and Conrad Smith will also miss the trip to South Africa as coach Graham Henry tries to keep players fresh for the World Cup.

Hooker Keven Mealamu will assume the captaincy, Colin Slade will get another chance to cement his place as Carter's back-up in the World Cup squad, and Israel Dagg, Isaia Toeava, Richard Kahui and Tony Woodcock all return after injury.

South Africa: Francois Steyn, JP Pietersen, Jaque Fourie, Jean De Villiers, Bryan Habana, Butch James, Fourie du Preez; Tendai Mtawarira, John Smit (capt), Jannie du Plessis, Bakkies Botha, Victor Matfield, Heinrich Brussow, Danie Rossouw, Pierre Spies.

Replacements: Bismarck du Plessis, Guthro Steenkamp, Gerhard Mostert, Jean Deysel, Francois Hougaard, Morne Steyn, Gio Aplon.

Australia: Kurtley Beale, James O'Connor, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Pat McCabe, Digby Ioane, Quade Cooper, Will Genia; Sekope Kepu, Stephen Moore, Ben Alexander, Nathan Sharpe, James Horwill, Rocky Elsom (capt), David Pocock, Scott Higginbotham.

Replacements: Saia Faingaa, Salesi Maafu, Sitaleki Timani, Ben McCalman, Radike Samo, Luke Burgess, Anthony Fainga'a.

Last edited by AlynDavies on Mon 15 Aug 2011 - 21:00; edited 11 times in total
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion

Post by Rob B Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 13:32

boomeranga wrote:The bit of red I wanted to see is Beau. I just don't understand what went wrong as I was presuming he would be involved. Came on against Samoa, went ok, and then nothing but Hodgeson. There is absolutely no talk of him though, so I guess he is gone.

Right now the thing I'm sweating on more than anything else is the injured blokes. TPN, Mitchell, Slipper and Palu with some form would really help. It's a lot of blokes to get back in form without losing games is the part that worries me, but without them I fear we are not good enough as our bench often looks a bit light weight to me.

Agree on the injured blokes - I suspect the ones who go will be on the bench. TPN back up to Moore; Slipper in or back up to Alexander; Vickerman/Simmons back up lock; Higg and/or Samo back up 8/6 depending on whp the 8 is; Burgess, A Faingaa (assuming he doesn't get a start); D Mitchell back up wing.

Still have to fit Barnes in.

That sort of bench is very different to the current bench and starting to look pretty strong - all good enough to be in the run on team (except maybe Burgess) - which is what you want.

No room for McCalman or Hodgson - unless Deans wants a no7 back up.

I have huge doubts about Palu - played not much rugby in last 2 years but still seen somehow as a backrow messiah. He aint no Kefu. Like Elsom he will need half a dozen full matches to get fit - he won't get them though so I think he is a back up if anything. He is still quite a way from being ready apparently.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: South Africa 9 - 14 Australia : Post Match Discussion

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 13:32

yeah he needs to go running thats for sure.. that +100Kg for steyn looks more like +110Kg at the moment.... perhaps he took diet advice from Andy Goode.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 13:34

I'm sure that hairdo weighs another 10 kg's as well.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by OzT Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 13:35

but Andy Goode only has comb overs......

LOL!!

OzT

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 16 Aug 2011 - 13:48

can you believe Frans Steyn won his first cap on the wing!

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 17 Aug 2011 - 9:21

True Rob. I like Palu (whether he deserves it or not, he's one of the great hopes for Waratah fans), but he usually takes time to find touch in his hands and timing in his hits. Without these he becomes a bit anonomous, and we no longer have time to give him.

Not much longer to speculate anyway. I think tomorrow is D day isnt it?

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob B Wed 17 Aug 2011 - 9:25

boomeranga wrote:True Rob. I like Palu (whether he deserves it or not, he's one of the great hopes for Waratah fans), but he usually takes time to find touch in his hands and timing in his hits. Without these he becomes a bit anonomous, and we no longer have time to give him.

Not much longer to speculate anyway. I think tomorrow is D day isnt it?

Yep Thursday morning all will be revealed. Apparently players are being told today. I set up a separate post : word is Giteau is out.

Rob B

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Wed 17 Aug 2011 - 9:34

Yeah, saw the speculation on Gits.

I'll make the switch to your new article.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2