The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Representing Your Country at Rugby!!

+4
RubyGuby
doctor_grey
rodders
majesticimperialman
8 posters

Go down

Representing Your Country at Rugby!! Empty Representing Your Country at Rugby!!

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:32 pm

Or any sport for that matter, is supposed to be the best thing to happen to player....So surely before the game starts when it comes to the National anthem shouldnt all players sing their National antem?

I know ther are teams like Ireland for example who have 2 national anthems, the Soldiers song and Irelands call...Now i am not trying to stir up any bad grief or anything, but why do some of the Irish team only sing the Soldiers song and not Irelands call or Irelands call and the soldirers song?

Their are also teams like England who have players in the team that are residency qualified, but wether you are a national born and bred or wether you are residency qualified for your team surely you should sing your countrys National Anthyem before the game starts.

What are your thoughts on this.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Representing Your Country at Rugby!! Empty Re: Representing Your Country at Rugby!!

Post by rodders Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
What are your thoughts on this.

I think it's a personal choice for the player to make. As long as they deliver when the match kicks off then thats what matters.

On a personal level I don't like that certain Irish players and fans are against Irelands call as it's supposed to be an inclusive anthem that we can all get behind but each to their own, its the rugby that matters. guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Representing Your Country at Rugby!! Empty Re: Representing Your Country at Rugby!!

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:45 pm

I personaly think that because you have been picked by your country to play for your country, it is like a duty for you to show that you are proud to be playing for your country.

For what it is worth i like Irelands call, because it is asking the whole country of Ireland to come togehter.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sun 14 Aug 2011, 12:48 pm

I think Ireland is a unique case as applies to the question of anthems. So I would separate that from the general theme. Although I would also think the discussion about Ireland might be the most interesting. But I don't feel it would be appropriate for me to offer an opinion.

For all other countries, if a player is qualified to represent that country, I do agree they should sing the anthem. I have always thought representing one's country, birth, raised, or adopted, means a lot more than putting on a particular jersey. The anthem is really a small thing, but can have big symbolic importance.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 1:06 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I personaly think that because you have been picked by your country to play for your country, it is like a duty for you to show that you are proud to be playing for your country.

I agree that you should show how proud you are, but that can be achieved on the pitch as well.

Individual players have different ways to psyche themselves for the game and singing may not be to everyones needs, just because they aren't singing does not mean they are less patriotic. It could be that they are singing it in their minds, or some may prefer to absorb the emotions from listening to the crowd.

From a Welsh perspective the language of the anthem is also not always the first language of the individual!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 14 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

I dont mind it so much, if nerves and adrenaline are taking over and you cant bring yourself to sing to keep composed thats fine, other players do the opposite to deal with the preassure and nerves such as AWJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 8:19 pm

Singing the national anthem is a very personal thing and has as much to do with your social and political values as it does to the fact that you are playing rugby for your country or your adopted country if its England thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:02 pm

Exactly, Iron Mike - I agree completely.

I can't speak with much authority about the psychological state that a player is in before a game, except to draw on my own experiences.

I used to stay pretty quiet before a big game - I'd be more concerned with going through the set-piece moves in my head and generally getting 'prepped'.

My brother, by contrast, used to get 'the shakes' before a game and to combat this, he would be the 'big man' before kick off - doing practical jokes, 'bundling' his team mates, and generally being loud. I can perfectly imagine him in the AWJ mould if we'd played for Scotland.

That doesn't stop me from getting very emotional during F of S - I weep. Like a little girl.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:38 pm

Ireland is obviously a special case and I think you know perfectly well why not all of the Irish players sing the soldiers song Majesticimperialman. I think most of the players sing Ireland's call - maybe a couple don't (RO'G doesn't anyway) - the majority certainly do. I'd say everyone would say the most important thing when wearing your country's jersey is to do it proud and so, even though O'Gara doesn't sing Ireland's call, I don't think anyone could doubt his commitment to the jersey itself.

It really is a personal choice in my view. Do you see everyone in the crowd singing the national anthems for every game? Because I don't! So you should expect that a few players feel the same way and don't belt out God Save the Queen or whatever. If the players don't feel like singing, but still put in complete commitment in the game, then that's fine by me.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:40 pm

Who gives a toss whether or not they sing the anthem? Some players don't do anything during the anthems because they're nervous and/or thinking about the task ahead. I remember reading an interview with Henson (sorry to bring him up) and he was asked why he looked so serious during the anthems and never opened his mouth. He said it was nerves. Some don't know all the words. I bet there's a few Welsh people on here who don't know all the words to Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau either! raspberry

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:42 pm

How many of us would sing if we had a camera thrust into our face? they obviously know they cant sing and that's why they just keep quiet.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sun 14 Aug 2011, 9:45 pm

That's true Cymro. I reckon AWJ does for opposite effect in that it gees him up and gets his blood pumping for the match.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Sun 14 Aug 2011, 11:00 pm

Maybe they should all resort to the John Redwood sort of anthem sining - Pure genius, absolute quality and sincereity if ever there was laughing

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down