The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales surprise key player at the world cup

+5
Seagultaf
Luckless Pedestrian
manofgwent
bedfordwelsh
mckay1402
9 posters

Go down

Wales surprise key player at the world cup Empty Wales surprise key player at the world cup

Post by mckay1402 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 8:54 am

Is going to be Huw Bennett. If he can play as well as he did against England then we should be competative but if he doesn't he will prove a massive weak link. He is going to be key to Wales because he has probably just become first choice hooker...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Wales surprise key player at the world cup Empty Re: Wales surprise key player at the world cup

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:02 am

mckay,

If its him I will eat my proverbial hat.

He has one n half good games in his 50 odd caps and people saying he now 1st choice.

He may well be at the mo but thats down to injury rather than his upturn in form, for me he still shouldn't have been in original squad.

That said and this hurts its good job he came on on Saturday ouch ouch ouch
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Wales surprise key player at the world cup Empty Re: Wales surprise key player at the world cup

Post by manofgwent Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:40 am

When I read the headline to this post, before opening it, I thought huw Bennett myself. I e been his biggest critic, but burns needs more experience and if bennett can re-produce his current form, then he has a vital role to play.
Will Hibbard now play on Saturday. You would have thought Hibbard will start with Bennett on the bench.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:46 am

Huw Bennett is so important to us now. Thank God he's in decent form.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 9:48 am

Bedford

I'm not saying he'll be our best player by any stretch. What I mean is that Gatland has stuck by him and played him over and over again when we have all been calling for him to be dropped (some would have liked more harsh treatment than that) but now he has hit a bit of form Gatland will feel vindicated and because of Bennetts international experience will see him as his first choice hooker.

I agree that he shouldn't have been in the original squad but now I'm glad he is. He is an experienced player and if he can keep playing the way he is then he'll be a huge player.
What I meant by him being a key player is that his form will go a long way to deciding how well Wales play and if we can secure set piece ball.

MOG

I would definitely be starting Hibbard with Geth and Adam on Saturday if they're all fit. These boys have to have a run out and there's no better team to try them against...
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Tue 16 Aug 2011, 12:11 pm

Ken Owen has been with the Wales squad for some time now and played (apparently well) for the Scarlets against Rotherham on Saturday. With doubts over Burns and Hibbard only just started training, will Ken get his first cap against Argentina?

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:36 pm

No, he won't. It doesn't seem right that Lloyd Burns gets the chance to show what he can do but Ken Owens doesn't.

His time will come, though.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 16 Aug 2011, 1:58 pm

Bennett is an impact player for the Ospreys and Wales, I'd still be worried about him starting. However having Hibbard and Bennett Throwing to Alun-Wyn, and Ryan Jones in the line out should at least help. Bearing in mind Ryan and Alun-Wyn were the first choice lock pairing last season. Adam Jones, Ryan Bevington and Paul James are the Ospreys props also so the lifting support should be on key.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Tue 16 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

not saying Bennett won't be a key player and i'm not sure on the answer i'm about to ask, But how many good games has he had in the last 5?

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 16 Aug 2011, 3:31 pm

I think Hook will be, if he wants the 10 jersey he needs to be World class, and he will get his chance out there.

Warburton is on good form, as is Lydiate. Hook will be our stand out player I think though.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Tue 16 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

Jamie Roberts could be our key player at the world cup, he's been the backs defensive captain the last couple of games (if I'm correct) and that defence did well last weekend, however, how much harder/smarter do the likes of S.Africa/Samoa/Fiji run with ball in hand?

The backs winning the gainline battle against those teams will be key aswell and Jamie will be instrumental here, there'll be big tackles coming, he'll know that. He can break those tackles, he'll know that too.

JAAAAAAAAAAAMIE king

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Tue 16 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

Nathan

Not sure...two?

wasn't suggesting by any means that he'll be our stand out player but he will be the key to whether we have a decent amount of posession or not. if he hits his jumpers in the lineout then we'll have ball if not then Matfield will laugh all day.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 16 Aug 2011, 5:02 pm

The biggest surprise for me is the Wales defence with so many Scarlet players, S Edwards must be a much better defence coach than the Scarlets coach, if the Scarlet squad players keep the knowledge and experience gained then the Scarlets could be a handful next season when the squad players return.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down