The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll

+3
WillyGilly
Standulstermen
Notch
7 posters

Go down

Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll Empty Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:12 am

Ulster (15-9):Peter Nelson; Michael Allen, Christopher Farrell, Luke Marshall, Craig Gilroy; Patrick Jackson, Ian Porter
(1-8): Paddy McAllister, John Burns, Jerry Cronin, Lewis Stevenson (capt), Neil McComb, Michael McComish, Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

Replacements (16-23): Andrew Warwick, Callum Black, Adam Macklin, James Simpson, Ali Birch, Blane McIlroy, Stuart Olding, Conor Gaston.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9583.php

It's a very youthful looking Ulster side, even more so than usual, that will travel to face Neath on Friday night. A number of the more impressive players from Ulster U20s have been called into the backline. New faces include fullback Peter Nelson and outside centre Christopher Farrell. Michael Allen, who has previously featured at 13 for the Ulster Ravens starts on the right wing. The backline is completed by three players who starred for Ireland in the U20 Six Nations and Junior World Championship; Paddy Jackson, Luke Marshall and Craig Gilroy. The trio are some of the more experienced players in the backs having all made their Ulster debuts last season. Former Ireland U20 scrum-half Ian Porter is the oldest member of the backline, aged 23.

The forwards have a bit more experience with Lewis Stevenson captaining the side from the second row. He's partnered with Neil McComb and a relatively seasoned trio Magners League backrowers in McComish, Faloon and Diack. The front row still has an inexpereinced look to it with Cronin in his first season as a full professional, John Burns making his first ever start for Ulster and Paddy McAllister still just 22. Big things are expected from the blond loosehead in the future and it will be interesting to see how he goes.

A number of senior players are rested altogether; Andi Kyriacou, Declan Fitzpatrick, Tim Barker, Pedrie Wannenburg, Chris Henry, Paul Marshall, Ian Whitten, Darren Cave, Adam D'Arcy all drop out of the squad whilst Court, Best, Ferris, Wallace, Trimble, Danielli and Pienaar are on international duty. New club captain Johan Muller is back in Ulster but doesn't seem to yet be match fit, along with (to the best of my knowledge) Spence, Humphreys and Tuohy. I'm open to correction here. Jared Payne and John Afoa are yet to arrive in Ulster.

It's going to be interesting to see if any Ulster players are called into the Ireland XV to face Connacht on Thursday night. With two fixtures in three days, there will probably be two entirely different 22s and it's a good chance for some of the guys on fringes of selection to stake a claim for the post-World Cup period should they get the chance.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll Empty Re: Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll

Post by Standulstermen Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:18 am

Is spence still injued? I was hoping to see him named to be honest. Cave and Henry may be with Ireland along with Deccie Fitz. Beyond that i cant see anyone else playing against Connacht

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll Empty Re: Ulster name a young side to face Neath at the Gnoll

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:21 am

Probably be back next week if he's on the mend. I'm a bit worried about our pre-season, Missing oodles of key players and only one serious friendly before the big kick off.

Worried we could have a slow start.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:26 am

I would agree with that Notch. Is Payne even in the country yet? The only thing i would say is with a depeleted Glasgow and Aironi up first we may get two wins anyway. I hope Muller can get back for the 2nd Sept.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:31 am

ITM Cup is still ongoing Stand. He has a contract until the end of that tournament.

Risk of an upset at home to Glasgow is very big in my mind, to be honest. And Aironi away will be tough. Right now this is what we are probably looking at going into the Glasgow game;

1. Paddy McAllister
2. Andi Kyriacou
3. Declan Fitzpatrick
4. Tim Barker
5. Lewis Stevenson
6. Pedrie Wannenburg
7. Chris Henry (c)
8. Robbie Diack
9. Paul Marshall
10. Paddy Jackson
11. Craig Gilroy
12. Luke Marshall
13. Darren Cave
14. Conor Gaston
15. Adam D'Arcy

16. Nigel Brady/John Burns 17. Callum Black 18. Jerry Cronin 19. Neil McComb 20. Willie Faloon 21. James McKinney 22. Nevin Spence?

Without Muller and Humphreys we look seriously weakened. I think Glasgow and Aironi will fancy their chances if we don't get those two back on the pitch even without their internationals.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:36 am

Yeah we definately need Muller back asap. He mentioned i think he would be doing contact this week and with Spence doing it this week they might be available. Payne isnt playing in it though i dont think. i thought he injured his hip.

I still feel at a packed ravenhill we will have too much for glasgow missing Gray, Low, Evans, Morrison, Kellock, Barclay, Beattie, Custier and Jackson.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:38 am

No, Payne is only arriving in September it will be a wee while before he starts again.

They only have two weeks to get fit! Eek. Though to be fair, if Muller wasn't injured he'd probably still be with the Boks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:39 am

Is Stuart Olding the BRA fly half? Or was it Campbell? He played in the schools cup final though right? Or was it Inst? Or even Methody?

As far as I'm aware we surely won't get Afoa till after the world cup and Payne isn't arriving till september. Really liking the look of him btw. Hopefully he can get up to speed asap.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:43 am

Just keep naming every school in belfast sure Willy. He probably played for one of them like Whistle

This was Glasgows side from their friendly versus Newcastle;

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Peter Murchie; 14 Tommy Seymour, 13 Rob Dewey (Captain), 12 Troy Nathan, 11 Colin Shaw; 10 Scott Wight, 9 Henry Pyrgos; 1 Gordon Reid, 2 Pat MacArthur, 3 Ed Kalman, 4 Tom Ryder, 5 Nick Campbell, 6 James Eddie, 7 Chris Fusaro, 8 Ryan Wilson

Expect Colin Gregor and Duncan Weir to start in the halfbacks, which would give them the upper hand in an important area. But not much elsewhere. Concerned about the 'old boy' effect with Dewey and Seymour.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:48 am

Farrell usually plays 12 doesn't he?

http://www.northernbankschoolscup.com/coleraine-ai-v-belfast-royal-academy.html

BRA it was. Right first time lol.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:51 am

Oh, Farrell is that guy. Campbells big lump of a centre?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:55 am

I think so. Well over 6ft. Consequently he could run through the opposition backline. Will be interesting to see how he copes with big boy rugby.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:58 am

My guess is not very well. Looked like the kind of player who looks good in schoolboy rugby because of his size and strength and then when he comes into senior rugby against players who can tackle we realise that he isn't actually great at much else.

But they must see something in him anyway.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Does anyone else think there could be a few surprise call ups for the Ireland v Connacht match? Considering i think a few players need a rest and will play neither Connacht or France like Trimble, Fitz and Paddy perhaps.

And with Kearney injured, how much liklihood is there for example of Declan putting say Adam D'arcy in against Connacht to pin him down for Ireland?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:42 pm

He won't get a cap against Connacht so I imagine that wouldn't tie him down.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:07 pm

I assume the connacht match isn't a full international then Thomand? Didn't realise it wouldn't count as a cap.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:08 pm

We're not playing an international side so I don't think it can count as a cap.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:09 pm

And the team isn't Ireland, either. I think it's going under another name, like "Ireland Select XV" or something like that.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 pm

Spence is still injured.
I expect some of the regualrs missing to be named for the Connacht match

Don't think we can complain about players missing - Glasgow and Aironi are missing shed loads as well.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:04 am

Ulster win 34-15. Really pleased with that.

Scorers i believe where

Burns, Gilroy, McIlroy, Nelson and Diack.

Given the age profile of that team (backline particularly) it is incredibly pleasing. Others will know more about the individual youngsters and im certain next weeks team will be very different but its good for those young guys to get a win in their first outing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:51 am

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/9590.php

Ulster coach Brian McLaughlin was happy with his team's performance:

"I'm pleased with the effort from everybody, the young guys and the older hands did really well. They fought hard together and we came away with a very impressive win."

"Chris Farrell, Peter Nelson, Stuart Olding and a few others were starting in a senior Ulster jersey for the first time and were a credit to themselves. They did an outstanding job for us."

"The more experienced players deserve praise too because they encouraged and helped the younger players. I thought Lewis Stevenson did very well for us as captain tonight," enthused McLaughlin.

He continued, "In the first half, the quality and tempo of our play was outstanding. In the second half we had to dig deep. They came at us exceptionally hard, just like they did when they played the Ravens at Shaws Bridge last year."

"All credit to us; we leaked two tries early in the second half but we came back strongly and scored two excellent tries at the end to complete the game."

McLaughlin believes his side are shaping up nicely ahead of the RaboDirect PRO12 opener against Glasgow on September 2nd. "We are looking forward to our next friendly against Harlequins next week and can take confidence from this performance."

"The tempo we played at tonight and the courage we showed in the second half will certainly stand us in good stead next week and for the season ahead," concluded the Ulster coach.

All in all, sounds very positive. I'm waiting to see how the real Ulster team shape up next week however!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:24 am

exciting times indeed notch

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:30 am

Exciting, but we don't want to be the Arsenal of the League thumbsup

We need the team coming in next week to be up to the same standard. Cave looked good in the highlights I saw of the Ireland-Connacht match.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:27 am

We havent lost our two (Nasri is going) notch. Agreed cave looks good. I cannot enthasise enough how important Muller will be though

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff998rugby Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:03 pm

Humphreys is making good progress so may make it yet.

Also Stevenson was very good, led the team well.
Of course Muller is a big blow but this a guy is not here to make up the numbers and it should be remember he was ahead of Tuohy in the Exeter pecking order when they were both there.

geoff998rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:11 pm

geoff998rugby wrote:Humphreys is making good progress so may make it yet.

Also Stevenson was very good, led the team well.
Of course Muller is a big blow but this a guy is not here to make up the numbers and it should be remember he was ahead of Tuohy in the Exeter pecking order when they were both there.

Smile

All good news! Saw Humph tweet he was hoping to be involved on Friday. Will wait and see.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 pm

Notch wrote:Exciting, but we don't want to be the Arsenal of the League thumbsup

We need the team coming in next week to be up to the same standard. Cave looked good in the highlights I saw of the Ireland-Connacht match.

Notch, what are these highlights you speak of? I tried to find some at the time, but no sign of them online! Was it on TV you saw them?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 pm

IRFU website.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down