The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

+24
Thomond
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
HURLEY_BURLEY
MDB
Feagh McHugh
MMC
ballroomhero
Sin é
formerly known as Sam
geoff998rugby
Mickado
Gibson
Standulstermen
valjester
Feckless Rogue
Boyne
Irish Curry
D24tress
RubyGuby
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
greybeard
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
28 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game Empty What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 11:19 am

Starting from the front and heading back I thought it apt to go and see what bits of information we can/need to learn from the game in Donnybrook tonight as far as I am aware is not being televised.

We need to see if Buckley can play LH and play well.
He has been very disappointing over the first two tests. Very poor scrimmaging and has not been in the loose what we know he can be. Seems to be in a shoot out with Hayes for the fourth prop spot and I think it may just come down to this final game to decide it. Buckley can be exceptional in the loose as seen down south last summer and can scrum as seen in the Autumn against Argentina but can he do it regularly?

We need Cullen to up his performance and see what else Ryan can do.
McCarthy on the bench on Saturday is telling. DK obviously believes that McCarthy and Ryan are quite close standard wise. Ryan has had two tests and now McCarthy will, again it seems like a straight shoot out between the two. Cullen also needs to prove he can up his game, he has been quite ineffective over the last two tests and needs to up the anti quite a bit.

We need to learn whether Jennings can even be considered.
Jennings has played exceptionally well for Leinster this year but injury has ruled him out of all the warm ups thus far. With Ferris back and firing (well fit enough to put on the bench) and Leamy doing quite well so far, we need to see if Jennings can produce something no other backrower can. He is unique in style but can he compete at the highest level (the Connacht game not being the highest level) but again appears a shoot out between Leamy and Jennings with Leamy ahead.

We need to know who will be our 3rd scrumhalf.
Boss vs Murray with Stringer seemingly left out in the cold. Boss has had a good season with Leinster providing a quicker service than before but also a fiery physicality. Murray has had a great run in to the close of the season. Seems to have all the skills needed, appears cool headed and unphased by the big occasions. Best passer of the 4 scrumhalves remaining, good tackler, best boxkicker, good decision making.

We need to double check Wallace can play 10.
It’s been a while since Wallace wore the 10 jersey in green. He won’t be tested too much but we need to see he can do it. Even with Keatley and Mcfadden in the team I’d like Wallace to kick the goals. Needs to show us that he can attack the line hard and can also control the game both in equal measure and where necessary.

We need to see McFadden and Murphy do something special.
As such neither seem to be going to the RWC, as such neither deserve too. They need to show us something that would make DK not want to bring Fitzgerald or Jones. These two seem to be the desperadoes of the group.

My wishlist:
Murray to have a stormer and play the whole second half.
Cullen to up his game.
Jennings to put pressure on Leamy.
Wallace to show us he can control a game.

Back to top Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game Empty Re: What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:11 pm

It's going to be hard to judge as won't be able to see the game... are you going Pete?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game Empty Re: What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:15 pm

Buckley seems to have a great match once every 5 games or so. If he does have a great game tonight, against a kid just learning the ropes, it will be a hollow victory and one that comes with no guarantees that he will have two good games back to back.

We all know he's capable of having a great impact, but we also know he flatters to deceive far too often.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

Yeah Notch I am heading down there this evening can't wait. Heading to the French game sat too. You?

Yeah I agree re: Buckley he seems like a majorally loose canon also, there's no in between he is either very good or pretty bad. Unfortunatly the latter happens much more often.

Who do you guys think will come out better Boss or Murray?

Will be wierd the ex connacht lads playing against Connacht

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:37 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Buckley, Flannery, Reddan and Warwick are all ex-Connacht too.

For Leinster Mike Ross, John Fogarty, Sean Cronin, Eoin Reddan are all ex-Munster and they play grand against us.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:39 pm

True, hasn't been very long though since they left, they haven't even joined up with their new clubs yet fully.

Anyone going to the game this evening?

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:Yeah Notch I am heading down there this evening can't wait. Heading to the French game sat too. You?

Yeah I agree re: Buckley he seems like a majorally loose canon also, there's no in between he is either very good or pretty bad. Unfortunatly the latter happens much more often.

Who do you guys think will come out better Boss or Murray?

I wanted to go but they moved the game forward a day because of the Leinster friendly. So I'm going to that instead and to the France game OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

pete (buachaill on eirne) wrote:

Anyone going to the game this evening?

Yup. Going for the 3 in a Row. Might need a raincoat tonight.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:43 pm

Will be funny O'Connor vs Wallace; the battle of the guys who never quite managed to hold onto the 10 jersey at Ulster. Master vs Apprentice etc. etc. Smile

You'll have to come back on this thread later and give us the lowdown.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:45 pm

Just typical No live Rugby for a quarter of a year. Then 3 come along together.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:48 pm

Buckley is Irelands Andrew Sheridan - Not consistent but when he clicks there's no one better - It's a risk.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 1:59 pm

If there is internet available I will try and keep you all updated.

Should be good they are quite attack minded sides imo

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Buckley is Irelands Andrew Sheridan - Not consistent but when he clicks there's no one better - It's a risk.

Disagree, Sheridan has had dominant performances at international level and when he plays poorly he generally holds hos own. When it clicks for Buckley he holds his own and when he plays poorly he is destroyed.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:06 pm

Sheridan has been completely ineffectual in games and often gets destroyed himself due to his poor positioning. Pound for pound these guys are the Banahans of the front row IMO. We need more from a modern forward

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:11 pm

I agree, there is no point in having a player who is great 1 in every 5 games. That is a useless sort of player who loses teams games

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:12 pm

Notch wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:Buckley is Irelands Andrew Sheridan - Not consistent but when he clicks there's no one better - It's a risk.

Disagree, Sheridan has had dominant performances at international level and when he plays poorly he generally holds hos own. When it clicks for Buckley he holds his own and when he plays poorly he is destroyed.

Disagree too. Sheridan's problem is that he is a major "sicknote", Buckley just seems to lack focus or something. Be funny to see them on either side of a Sale scrum though.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:19 pm

Really interested to see Wallace at 10 again especially with Keatley outside him, I like that combination I have to say.

Wonder who will goal kick also between those two and McFadden

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:26 pm

RubyGuby wrote:Sheridan has been completely ineffectual in games and often gets destroyed himself due to his poor positioning. Pound for pound these guys are the Banahans of the front row IMO. We need more from a modern forward

Nail on the head here

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:29 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]Really interested to see Wallace at 10 again especially with Keatley outside him, I like that combination I have to say.

Wonder who will goal kick also between those two and McFadden[/quote]

They could well rotate between them maybe not McFadden but the other two it would be a good idea
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:35 pm

I was thinking Wallace should cos if he is in a RWC match with no ROG or Sexton he will be the one kicking realistically.

Lots of creativity in the backline tonight

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

Yeah, I'd say he probably will be the most likely to travel and therefore kick.

The fact McFadden has only had one start in our three test matches does not bode well for him, however I do believe he's only one injury away from making the plane even still. So I wouldn't object where he handed the kicking duties later in the game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 2:51 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]I was thinking Wallace should cos if he is in a RWC match with no ROG or Sexton he will be the one kicking realistically.

Lots of creativity in the backline tonight[/quote]

Thats a fair point I suppose thats why wallace is at 10.

And yeah there is thats why I'm in two minds as whether Wallace should play 12 or D'arcy (if fit) or McFadden or whoever as its like he is a 2nd 10 playing and givens alot of options when the attack is split.
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

But you have so many guys who can step in at first reciever in this game between Wallace, McF, Keatley, and Murphy.

If we aren't creative something is wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]But you have so many guys who can step in at first reciever in this game between Wallace, McF, Keatley, and Murphy.

If we aren't creative something is wrong[/quote]

Creative yes but doing anything after that is a no so far thats our problem
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:06 pm

Yeah we really gotta go score some tries don't we?

Who do people think is gonna win the squad place, Murray or Boss?

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]Yeah we really gotta go score some tries don't we?

Who do people think is gonna win the squad place, Murray or Boss?[/quote]

Yeah we're becoming like Scotland Shocked
I think Boss will win it but I really want Murray to get it but only if he plays for a good bit. Rolling Eyes
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

I really hope Murray wins it too. If he and Jones got on the plane I'd be very happy

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:25 pm

Hand on heart time, I don't think I want McFadden to go.

He won't be used, unless it's an emergency (in which case he could always be called up while based in Ireland), he'll be just holding tackle bags.

Now if there's a choice between him doing nothing for the best part of two months, or helping my province get off to a good start in the the Pro12, then I'd rather he stayed here.

For Munster I'd say Murray might also fall into that category, as would McCarthy. What about Ulster? Actually for Ulster I think all of their potential departures will be more in demand for Ireland, so maybe not.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Thu 18 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"]I really hope Murray wins it too. If he and Jones got on the plane I'd be very happy[/quote]

I wonder if it would be better if they went and only played once or twice but also had the expirence of a world cup or being first choice in the Pro12? Same goes for McFadden
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:12 pm

greybeard wrote:Hand on heart time, I don't think I want McFadden to go.

He won't be used, unless it's an emergency (in which case he could always be called up while based in Ireland), he'll be just holding tackle bags.

Now if there's a choice between him doing nothing for the best part of two months, or helping my province get off to a good start in the the Pro12, then I'd rather he stayed here.

For Munster I'd say Murray might also fall into that category, as would McCarthy. What about Ulster? Actually for Ulster I think all of their potential departures will be more in demand for Ireland, so maybe not.

Only if there was an injury to a 10 at one point we might have been looking at losing Humphreys as back-up. But ironically he's the one who is injured. Still recovering from his shoulder op. Hope he's available by the start of the season but rumours are he's doubtful.

Aside from that... guys like Henry, Cave and Whitten are well down the pecking order. Only Cave and Whitten are involved in the B team game tonight.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

Anyway, I like the way Andrew Trimble thinks/tweets;

"@NiallOConnor10 vs @paddywallace12 tonight....bit like messi vs ronaldo last night. good luck lads!

http://twitter.com/#!/andrew_trimble

My thoughts exactly Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

Notch wrote:Aside from that... guys like Henry, Cave and Whitten are well down the pecking order. Only Cave and Whitten are involved in the B team game tonight.

Ah, well I didn't mention them because I wanted to keep this within the bounds of reality Whistle

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:23 pm

greybeard wrote:
Notch wrote:Aside from that... guys like Henry, Cave and Whitten are well down the pecking order. Only Cave and Whitten are involved in the B team game tonight.

Ah, well I didn't mention them because I wanted to keep this within the bounds of reality Whistle

Indeed, and very wise too. If those guys get called up I'd say the injury situation will be pretty bad Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

"Fionn Carr makes a break, passes inside to Henry, he makes the hard yards, Henry to Whitten, to Toner, oh this is lovely stuff from Ireland, and Gavin Duffy touches down in the corner! Wonderful play. The score is now Ireland 5 - 4,562 New Zealand"

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:30 pm

laughing

Bring it! We had a not too dissimilar situation with our backrow last time we toured the Southern Hemisphere to be honest. Do you recall us taking on the Aussies down there with;

6. Niall Ronan
7. Shane Jennings
8. Chris Henry?

That was just silly.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Boyne Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

Is this on any TV channel at all? Internet even?

Boyne

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:35 pm

Don't think it's being televised.

Galway Bay FM usually have radio coverage, they stream that on the net.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 4:37 pm

Notch wrote: laughing

Bring it! We had a not too dissimilar situation with our backrow last time we toured the Southern Hemisphere to be honest. Do you recall us taking on the Aussies down there with;

6. Niall Ronan
7. Shane Jennings
8. Chris Henry?

That was just silly.

Aye, with Muldoon and Ruddock as well. There's a nice piece in the Independent with Muldoon that mentions that and about how much David Wallace scares the bejebus out of him.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:10 pm

I read that. Unbelievable endurance shown by him there. Same thing with Rory Best against the All Blacks later in the year. How the feic do these guys do it? Amazing what you can do with adrenaline.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:23 pm

Looks like no coverage from Galway Bay FM folks.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:43 pm

Facebook updates, from the non-partisan Connacht page...

Connacht 12 Fa'afili makes a big hit on Ian Keatley in the middle of the field. Really making his presence felt. Connacht dominating the lineouts. With 10 mins gon

Bet the Connacht fans enjoyed that bit

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:45 pm

‎14 mins gone and Mick O'Driscoll goes over for Irelands first try after 5 phases of pressure on the Connacht line. Paddy Wallace adds the Conversion to bring it to Ireland 7-0 Connacht

Irelands first try in 175 minutes!

Last edited by greybeard on Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:47 pm

No Shane Jennings as far as I can tell- David Wallace has apparently torn his hamstring and Jennings is needed for the big event Crying or Very sad
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

I mean on Saturday, he'll be in the 22. No long term prognosis re David Wallace and the World Cup.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:48 pm

Ronan is starting, apparently. Don't know who they've called up on the bench.

‎26 mins and Ireland take a quick lineout to send captain Leo Cullen over for their second try. Wallace kicks his second conversion attempt to bring the score to Ireland 14-0 Connacht

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:49 pm

Connacht captain John Muldoon stopped just short of the line after a strong Connacht scrum.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:49 pm

14-0 now. Sounds like Wallace and McFadden are doing well. Both mentioned in the lead-up for both tries on the IRFU twitter feed.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 6:52 pm

Connacht penalty on the Ireland 22 just in front of the posts. Ireland defence deemed offside. Niall O'Connor kicks it to bring the score to Ireland 14-3 after 32 mins

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:01 pm

Connacht are tweeting that it's an even contest. IRFU are saying nothing!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 18 Aug 2011, 7:02 pm

Just found this... relatively not-awful text updates:

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/rugby_irish/45738/

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next