The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

+24
Thomond
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
HURLEY_BURLEY
MDB
Feagh McHugh
MMC
ballroomhero
Sin é
formerly known as Sam
geoff998rugby
Mickado
Gibson
Standulstermen
valjester
Feckless Rogue
Boyne
Irish Curry
D24tress
RubyGuby
Jenifer McLadyboy
red_stag
greybeard
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
28 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game - Page 2 Empty What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Starting from the front and heading back I thought it apt to go and see what bits of information we can/need to learn from the game in Donnybrook tonight as far as I am aware is not being televised.

We need to see if Buckley can play LH and play well.
He has been very disappointing over the first two tests. Very poor scrimmaging and has not been in the loose what we know he can be. Seems to be in a shoot out with Hayes for the fourth prop spot and I think it may just come down to this final game to decide it. Buckley can be exceptional in the loose as seen down south last summer and can scrum as seen in the Autumn against Argentina but can he do it regularly?

We need Cullen to up his performance and see what else Ryan can do.
McCarthy on the bench on Saturday is telling. DK obviously believes that McCarthy and Ryan are quite close standard wise. Ryan has had two tests and now McCarthy will, again it seems like a straight shoot out between the two. Cullen also needs to prove he can up his game, he has been quite ineffective over the last two tests and needs to up the anti quite a bit.

We need to learn whether Jennings can even be considered.
Jennings has played exceptionally well for Leinster this year but injury has ruled him out of all the warm ups thus far. With Ferris back and firing (well fit enough to put on the bench) and Leamy doing quite well so far, we need to see if Jennings can produce something no other backrower can. He is unique in style but can he compete at the highest level (the Connacht game not being the highest level) but again appears a shoot out between Leamy and Jennings with Leamy ahead.

We need to know who will be our 3rd scrumhalf.
Boss vs Murray with Stringer seemingly left out in the cold. Boss has had a good season with Leinster providing a quicker service than before but also a fiery physicality. Murray has had a great run in to the close of the season. Seems to have all the skills needed, appears cool headed and unphased by the big occasions. Best passer of the 4 scrumhalves remaining, good tackler, best boxkicker, good decision making.

We need to double check Wallace can play 10.
It’s been a while since Wallace wore the 10 jersey in green. He won’t be tested too much but we need to see he can do it. Even with Keatley and Mcfadden in the team I’d like Wallace to kick the goals. Needs to show us that he can attack the line hard and can also control the game both in equal measure and where necessary.

We need to see McFadden and Murphy do something special.
As such neither seem to be going to the RWC, as such neither deserve too. They need to show us something that would make DK not want to bring Fitzgerald or Jones. These two seem to be the desperadoes of the group.

My wishlist:
Murray to have a stormer and play the whole second half.
Cullen to up his game.
Jennings to put pressure on Leamy.
Wallace to show us he can control a game.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game - Page 2 Empty Re: What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 pm

I'd say it would be an even contest. Thats close to a scratch team that Ireland Select XV. Obviously there are some quality players but Connacht will have a point to prove.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game - Page 2 Empty Re: What Ireland need to learn from the Connacht game

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:04 pm

Fa'afili makes another huge hit in the middle of the pitch, this time on Paddy Wallace. Connacht physicality is immense

...says Connacht. Well, they would.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Sounds like Wallace knocked on under the posts! Oops Smile
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Fa'afili is a beast actually. Would imagine he's putting himself about.

Just don't break anyone important Connacht OK
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:06 pm

Sher, he's awful Notch, you've been complaining about him for months

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Notch wrote:Just don't break anyone important Connacht OK

Like Muldoon!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:07 pm

Connacht get another penalty this time on the Ireland 10m line. O'Connor narrowly misses. The score remains Ireland 14-3 Connacht with five left in the half

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:09 pm

greybeard wrote:Sher, he's awful Notch, you've been complaining about him for months

Yeah, total impostor clearly Cool

Sounds like a good competitive game. Wish I could have been there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:11 pm

1 minute left and Connacht fail to reach Niall O'Connors kick into the corner. Good pressure from the men in "black"!!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Sounds like O'Connor is starting to be a bit more influential after a poor enough debut last week, so I'm very happy about that. Nice lad. Would like to see him do well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Wallace misses a penalty. Maybe he and NOC changed shirts?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:14 pm

Half time

14 - 3

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Hard to know really. No info on whether that was in front of the posts or from touch on halfway Smile

Wallace is a good placekicker but can be inconsistent. He's a fairly average kicker, but to be fair he rarely gets time kicking in games so doesn't build up a rhythm.

O'Connor regularly beat Pienaar and Humphreys in place kicking sessions last season. Just seems to not be able to translate the very high percentage he had at lower levels and in training to the game.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:22 pm

I didn't realise NOC had a good percentage. Any time I've seen him play he has been a bit erratic with the boot. Pity he never kicked on with Ulster.

Humphs and Elwood both knows what it takes to be a good out half, but one has decided he's not worth the effort any more and prefers to concentrate on the two younsters at Ulster, while the other has decided NOC has the right stuff to take Connacht to what they hope is a new level.

They can't both be right.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Second half kicking off.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 pm

Oh, he has an poor percentage in actual games of rugby. Just kicks very well in training. And was accurate in the games he played before turning professional.

I still maintain if they can sort the top two inches out he'll be a good player. Lack of confidence.

In a sense thats an over-simplification because Elwood doesn't have the option of signing the other options Ulster have at outhalf. I think it shows the faith that the coaches have in Paddy Jackson, Humphreys believes he will be very, very good.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Maybe a bit oversimplified, and yes Elwood can't be choosy, but I don't think NOC is as good as Nikora.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Pen Ireland. McFadden taps. Wallace great hands. Phase of attacks on Connacht line.

Another pen. Ireland take scrum bit penalised. Connacht clear.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Me neither. I think Nikora will be first choice. I think he has a lot more talent than he lets on though, O'Connor, I think if he got rid of the fear in his game he has all the ingredients to be a good player.

They didn't give him chance after chance for nothing at Ulster. It was so frustrating as he failed to put the pieces together again and again.
I don't think he was ever going to make it for us because the more he was tried and didn't play well, the bigger the pressure on his shoulders became. A new start is what he needed.

Nikora is apparently on crutches right now, so they'll need NOC to hit the ground running.

Last edited by Notch on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:33 pm

Geordan Murphy in for a try, missed conv.

19- 3

Conor Murray on.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:34 pm

Notch wrote:they'll need NOC to hit the ground running.

I bet he misses

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:35 pm

This is going fairly well then. Sounds like this backline is gelling better than any we've put out so far Smile

The 'Darren Cave to start versus Australia' campaign starts here Cool
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 pm

It's replacement season.

Young Leinsterman Mick Kearney (good signing by Connacht, would have liked to have kept him) off, TJ Anderson on.

Marcus Horan on as well, for Hayes, Buckley shuffles across (slowly, probably)

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 pm

That means TJ Anderson is into the second row. Or Naoupu has moved in there.

If McCarthy goes to the RWC, they'll be very short in that area with Dave Nolan out as well.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Connacht tweet:

3168 fans in Donnybrook tonight. A brief stoppage in play after some fierce exchanges. Matt Jarvis replaces Tiernan O'Halloran in the Connacht Backline. Ireland lineout

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:40 pm

JOC on for Ofisa

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 pm

Wallace goes for touch off a penalty. Ireland attack but are turned over, Connacht scrum.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Apparently O'Halloran is off because of a hand injury. Hope it's not serious.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Ryan and Henry on for Ronan and Cullen

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:51 pm

Sounds like Ireland well on top. Didn't even realise Chris Henry was with the squad!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 pm

McFadden try, Wallace converts x2. McFadden looking for a big performance to get on the plane.

33-3.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:55 pm

McFadden and Murphy have scored tries for Ireland against Connacht. And it's probable that neither of them are going to the World Cup. Fair play to Deccie, we do have more depth than last time. In certain positions anyway.

http://www.sportsnewsireland.com/rugby_irish/45738/
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Actually Keatley got the fifth try from a pass from McFadden. I hope the highlights of this game get put up.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:04 pm

Hurley scores a sixth try, Wallace misses conversion. 38-3. Wallace is four from seven.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:10 pm

Full time Ireland 38-3 Connacht.

Can't wait to hear the thoughts of the guys who were at the game. The link greybeard posted said Conor Murray and Geordan Murphy were the standouts.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:01 pm

Notch wrote:Full time Ireland 38-3 Connacht.

Can't wait to hear the thoughts of the guys who were at the game. The link greybeard posted said Conor Murray and Geordan Murphy were the standouts.

Murray was indeed very good when he came on, nothing spectacular but his pass is noticeably quicker than boss and he is really calm and always looks in control all the time. I though murphy was good as were wallace and mcfadden. The forwards were meh and I missed a bit of the first half to be honest. Sickened that I'm going away for the weekend and missing the french game.

Also my friend told me that a lot of the players have been informed whether they are travelling or not, I think all of the forwards have been decided and the just have to decide scrumhalf, back three and see if darcy is totally fit in which case him, wallace, bod and earls will be centre cover with earls obviously back 3 cover as well. He also said, which I'm not sure whether to believe or not but I saw it on another forum as well, that cullen won't be making the squad. Doc, poc, ryan and mccarthy to go. If leamy goes that means we will have 5players who can cover 6 so I'm not sure whether to believe him or not, but like I said I saw it on another forum as well. I really can't see leo being left out.

edit:Alcohol may lead to my views not being entirely correct and the reason they are quite short.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:26 pm

On planetrugby they are saying that MOD, stringer, hayes, horan, murphy and cullen have all been told they arent going

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:49 pm

Cullen? No that would be a massive shock.

Mind you, its PR. Probably shoite. Still- Captain in two games? Not going? Crazy if true!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:06 am

yeah thats the notable one. May yet be true with Ryan also seeing plenty of gametime and McCarthy benching this weekend

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:06 am

Huge call if Cullen doesn't go- back three still very much up in the air I think.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 am

Standulstermen wrote:yeah thats the notable one. May yet be true with Ryan also seeing plenty of gametime and McCarthy benching this weekend

Yes, McCarthy benching was a big shout. He is a good lineout operator and Cullen didn't do himself any favours in Bordeaux. But I would still have him on the plane. Macca has no experience...

You know if he is cut, this will be the third consecutive time he's had that conversation with an Ireland coach before a World Cup? Ouch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:11 am

yeah. reports suggest that mcfadden and wallace were good tonight. Also heard that Cave put in a good shift which is good for Ulster.

It is a massive call but Kidney has had a good look at him (cullen). it would be good news for leinster.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:14 am

I feel for the guy. How does he motivate himself now? Jeez thats tough.

Like I said earlier, best backline Ireland have put out this summer Whistle
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 am

In the picture of this report it looks like Cave and Griffin are fighting in slow motion;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/14581558.stm
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:28 am

One thing is for sure; if the squad is named and Kidney takes Felix Jones, Mike McCarthy and Conor Murray- three players who were uncapped going into the summer- ahead of Leo Cullen, Geordan Murphy, Peter Stringer and Isaac Boss, well... lets just say the people who have been slagging him for being too conservative will probably change their tune! Good lord.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:45 am

Notch wrote:One thing is for sure; if the squad is named and Kidney takes Felix Jones, Mike McCarthy and Conor Murray- three players who were uncapped going into the summer- ahead of Leo Cullen, Geordan Murphy, Peter Stringer and Isaac Boss, well... lets just say the people who have been slagging him for being too conservative will probably change their tune! Good lord.

thumbsup

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 am

We need to learn whether Jennings can even be considered.
Jennings has played exceptionally well for Leinster this year but injury has ruled him out of all the warm ups thus far. With Ferris back and firing (well fit enough to put on the bench) and Leamy doing quite well so far, we need to see if Jennings can produce something no other backrower can. He is unique in style but can he compete at the highest level (the Connacht game not being the highest level) but again appears a shoot out between Leamy and Jennings with Leamy ahead.

We may now learn, that Wally will have to fight for his previous rightful place back... and Leamy to bolster Munsters PRO12 campaign. Dunno... yet. Best outcome for me... and Ireland - would be for Wally and Jenno - along with 1F, SOB and Heaslip, to take the best of the rest NH backrows apart between them before the RWC. Then the SH's - when we get down there.
Believe.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:55 am

Gibbo

If Wally regains fitness in time for the weekend then Jennings will have no gametime (Cant see him being selected against England) during the warm ups. No chance he will go imo unless there is an injury

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 am

Stand,
I dont think Deccie would have taken him out of tonights game and not give him gametime. This weekend OR next weekend. That would be a travesty. Travsesties his Ireland chances have been riddled with over the years by injury, suspension and timing. He deserves that chance. Must take it. Must.

He has continually dealth with the best in the NH over the years. Including Wally. The French dont like Leinsters backrow unit. The English either.
IF they play as they can, neither will the SH teams. Leamy has done nothing to improve his chances.He is not the same player he once was. Now its Jennos turn, in a full-strength Irish team. At long last. I cant see Kidney risking Wally missing the WC either. That would be a disaster. We need him. We need 1F, SOB & Heaslip. We need them all.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:02 am

Gibbo

I dont disagree with you in that he deserves a shot but realistically should (and it is by no means certain) Wally be fit in wont be in the 22 for this weekend and next weekend Deccie will be going all out for the win and selecting his first choice backrow. Couple that to the fact that Ferris will get significant gametime against England (if fit) and so will Wally and Heaslip and i think you may be bemoaning another travesty. In an ideal situation i would agree he would be our 5th backrower but i think Kidney has Leamy earmarked for that and as such isnt as concerned about jennings getting gametime

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next