The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts

+6
Valero's Conscience
School Project
The Galveston Giant
eddyfightfan
BALTIMORA
AlexHuckerby
10 posters

Go down

Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts Empty Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:21 am

Fun thread on odd and interesting facts surrounding boxing. I'll start us off -
The famed Georges Carpentier started his career out in the Flyweight division and actually ended up as a Heavyweight though he did start boxing professionally at the tender age of 14!
Evander Holyfield turned down a role in the movie Rocky 5 purely because his character would be knocked out!
Leon Spinks won the Heavyweight title in only his 8th pro fight!
Harry Greb versus Mickey Walker fought each other in 1925 and was actually filmed, however the footage has never been found! (On a side note if it is ever found I imagine Windy would have a party in his pants whilst watching!)
Jersey Joe Walcott retired 6 times before wining a world title!
Lennox Lewis when asked as to why he didn't sign with Don King "How can you trust a guy that can talk for 5 minutes and you can't understand a word of it!?"
Think Nikolay Valuev was tall? The American John Rankin is the tallest ever man to enter a boxing ring at the size of 7 feet 4 inches!
Sam Langford and Harry Wills fought each other 23 times, talk about a rivalry!
It took as long as the era of Michael Moorer for a Heavyweight Champion to be a southpaw!
Rocky Marciano one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time actually took up boxing at 22! (Wow)
Speaking of Marciano he also had the shortest reach for a Heavyweight recorded at only 68 inches, pretty incredible thinking about how Marciano overcame all of this!
Muhammed Ali was upstaged by a stewardess when he was told to fasten his seatbelt on the plane he said "Superman don't need a belt!" The Stewardess replied "Superman don't need no plane neither!"

Got any fun facts or stories yourself?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts Empty Re: Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts

Post by BALTIMORA Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:38 am

Oscar De La Hoya is missing the middle toe on his left foot.

Rocky Marciano was mistakenly registered as a girl by hospital staff when he was born.

Joe Louis was born with a full set of teeth.

Mike Tyson was actually born in Bognor.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts Empty Re: Strange, Funny and Interesting Boxing Facts

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:40 am

BALTIMORA wrote:Oscar De La Hoya is missing the middle toe on his left foot.

Rocky Marciano was mistakenly registered as a girl by hospital staff when he was born.

Joe Louis was born with a full set of teeth.

Mike Tyson was actually born in Bognor.

Hmm, I do wonder if it was just his reach that was short then... laughing

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:02 pm

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=005316&cat=boxer

this guys is 0-31(31)-0

credit to his devotion, but he hasnt even made it passed the 2nd round in any of his fights

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:45 pm

Laugh

His career lasted 13 years, i suppose he could only fight a few times a year because of the suspensions.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 20 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

he should have added under pressure to the end of his name (e.crumble.under pressure)....... and im here all week by the way

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Sat 20 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Gavin Rees is driven around around in a Ford KA by the biggest meanest looking dude you'll ever find.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:53 am

Amir Khan was once a humble and likeable guy!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:59 am

eddyfightfan wrote:http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=005316&cat=boxer

this guys is 0-31(31)-0

credit to his devotion, but he hasnt even made it passed the 2nd round in any of his fights

I can go one better than that, well actually 22 better than that, or thinking about it 22 worse than that.

This guy is 0-53.

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?cat=boxer&human_id=18803

He has only been KO'ed 13 times though.

Granite chin, no arms.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by quentins_monkey Mon 22 Aug 2011, 11:32 am

Union Cane wrote:

this guys is 0-31(31)-0

I can go one better than that, well actually 22 better than that, or thinking about it 22 worse than that.

This guy is 0-53.

Granite chin, no arms.

At what point do you begin to think 'maybe boxing isn't the right career choice?' I mean even if he was awful you'd think law of averages in 53 fights he'd be up against someone a bit worse? laughing

quentins_monkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:38 pm

quentins_monkey wrote:
Union Cane wrote:

this guys is 0-31(31)-0

This guy is 0-53.

Granite chin, no arms.

At what point do you begin to think 'maybe boxing isn't the right career choice?' I mean even if he was awful you'd think law of averages in 53 fights he'd be up against someone a bit worse? laughing

You gotta fell for the guy LOL! Maybe he needs that one lucky break!

I guess he wants to keep going until he wins a fight, poor lad!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm

Valero's Conscience wrote:You gotta fell for the guy LOL! Maybe he needs that one lucky break!

I guess he wants to keep going until he wins a fight, poor lad!
I doubt he's been trying to win them all.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by two_tone Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:50 pm

To be fair he does have some stella names on his record though... Whistle

two_tone

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:53 pm

two_tone wrote:To be fair he does have some stella names on his record though... Whistle

Laugh He can always tell everyone he fought Arthur Abraham.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm

Pascal's 4th opponent didn't have a great record:

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=4788&cat=boxer

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:01 pm

i think alot of these journey men with huge losses are alot better than there record would suggest. they can give any up and comer a tough fight, although not likely to win.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:10 pm

eddyfightfan wrote:i think alot of these journey men with huge losses are alot better than there record would suggest. they can give any up and comer a tough fight, although not likely to win.

Glen Johnson Syndrome.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down