The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

right or wrong?

+6
meh
oxring
licence_007
The Galveston Giant
BALTIMORA
eddyfightfan
10 posters

Go down

do you the the california state athletic comission were right in there decision?

right or wrong? Vote_lcap15%right or wrong? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]
right or wrong? Vote_lcap69%right or wrong? Vote_rcap 69% 
[ 9 ]
right or wrong? Vote_lcap15%right or wrong? Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 13

right or wrong? Empty right or wrong?

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:14 pm

christy martin fought dakota stone (who she won the WBC womens title from the fight before via MD) and was stopped in the last round due to her broken right hand. she was infront on the scorecards at the time, but the referee made her punch her opponent to make sure see could still use it, and when she winced in pain he stopped the fight with 51 seconds left. martin was obviously gutted, and complained to the califorina state athletic commision, claiming that it was sexist, and had she been male she would have been allowed to continue and won the fight. martin, her trainer and her lawyer presented to the board but lost there appeal 5-0.

now there are several presidents for male boxers carrying on with broken hands, a few that pop to mind are haye vs valuev, calzaghe vs lacy and fury vs chisora more recently. the only thing is i can't remember seeing them in any obvious pain, even though they obviously handicapped by the way they were fighting. thought i would do a poll to see if you agree with the boards decision or not.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/6876062/floyd-mayweather-opponent-victor-ortiz-loses-day-training-back-injury

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

right or wrong? Empty Re: right or wrong?

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:19 pm

Calzaghe vs Lacy? Sure you're not thinking of Calzaghe vs Evans Ashira? Gatti broke his vs Ward, I forget which fight, but it's clear to see him wince when he breaks it.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:31 pm

i thought he broke his hand in the lacy fight about round 8 as well. may well be wrong. wonder if any male fights have been stopped due to a broken hand?

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 21 Aug 2011, 1:38 pm

I dunno about the Lacy fight. The Gatti one's here, about 9:15 in. Hits Ward right on the hip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImBAyrnal0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by The Galveston Giant Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:00 pm

Seems wrong, broke my hands a few times and you feel it adrenaline or not, sometimes sore trying to do press ups, it's not life threatening although it can put you at a clear disadvatage, i'm not sure of the rules but it should be up to the individual if they want to continue unless they are showing severe distress signals.
The Galveston Giant
The Galveston Giant

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:03 pm

Have any of us seen the fight or have access to how she was fighting? I haven't seen how much discomfort she might have visibly been in, so I can't really comment on the decision to stop it.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:17 pm

Not seen the fight but other examples of fighters being allowed to continue with bad injuries include Yuri Foreman vs Cotto, Margarito vs Pacquiao and Abraham vs Miranda. The Margarito one was ridiculous, and despite his prior cheating I think the ref was wrong to allow him to continue against Pacquiao.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 21 Aug 2011, 2:25 pm

i honestly dont think the ref had any sort of bias towards her just stopped a fight as he felt necessary. and i dont think he should have to face sexism slanders, but i havent see the fight, and can agree that there have been plenty of examples where men have been allowed to carry on.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 3:24 pm

Balti, for me, the Pac/Margarito fight was a shambles of a refereeing performance. I'm just saying, we don't know if she adapted her style to accommodate for the injury, or if she was simply unable to put up any kind of decent opposition. If she couldn't put up any fight, correct decision. If she'd adapted and didn't seem to be in any sort of trouble, maybe she should have been given the benefit of the doubt.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sun 21 Aug 2011, 4:27 pm

i dont think it looks good complaining to the board with your lawyer claiming sexism, its not good for the sports, i think she just wanted a no contest, boxers (all of them) will never admit they are to hurt to continue, sometimes you just have to accept that the ref has the final say. vitali claimed he wanted to continue against lewis, but at the end of the day its not your decision, its only a sport and its better to lose and fight another day then risk perminent damage.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 21 Aug 2011, 5:45 pm

Keep all comments free of sexism. Many thanks.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 7:13 pm

Isn't sexism somewhat an issue in this topic though?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:28 pm

Christy Martin adapt her style? Clearly you've never seen her fight before

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:32 pm

Correct.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:40 pm

For the record there is a world of difference between discussing the rights and wrongs of women boxing and stating that a woman would be unable to box, without providing any evidence to back up such a ludicrous assertion.

Essentially - discussion with evidence and theory fine. Blank sexist statements that could cause offence, not.

That said - not sure if any girls actually do surf the boxing site to get offended
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sun 21 Aug 2011, 8:47 pm

Was your red post more of a pre-emptive? I just ask since I haven't noticed anything to cause offence yet on this thread?

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by meh Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:27 am

Seem to remember Mayweather recieving the only 8 count of his career after he had to touch down due to the pain he suffered after he broke his hand. The brake was suffered mid fight too yet he was permitted to continue.

Think this issue raises an interesting question of when it is in the fighters favour to stop a fight and when a fighter has been robbed of an earned victory because of an over cautious ref.

meh

Back to top Go down

Post by Pound-for-Pound Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:31 am

I remember Arreola was clearly in pain in the Adamek fight but he just waved the ref away when it looked like he was going to step in. If the fighter wants to continue they should be allowed unless the injury results in them taking punishment.

Pound-for-Pound

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 22 Aug 2011, 2:37 am

Gatti's break was in the fourth round. He won by UD over 10.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 22 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

Seems incredibly harsh, I understand if it's an injury to do with eye sight and if a fighter is badly rocked then the ref should stop regardless of time left but to stop a fight that close to the end with a broken hand is wrong and smells of foul play!

Should lthey stop a fight every time a nose is broke?!?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:17 am

Pound-for-Pound wrote:I remember Arreola was clearly in pain in the Adamek fight but he just waved the ref away when it looked like he was going to step in. If the fighter wants to continue they should be allowed unless the injury results in them taking punishment.

I was going to bring this fight up. He visable wince in pain a few times after landing a punch

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Mon 22 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

Just wondering, if the ref made her punch her opponent to find out, what if she had knocked her opponent out with the punch????
This may seem like a silly post and apologies if it is but just a thought that crossed my mind.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 22 Aug 2011, 12:57 pm

what ever the reason, it will probably work out in martins favour, there 1 a piece now anyways so a rematch will have a lot more interest around it than her next match would have.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 22 Aug 2011, 1:25 pm

licence_007 wrote:Was your red post more of a pre-emptive? I just ask since I haven't noticed anything to cause offence yet on this thread?

Previous unacceptable comment deleted.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down