The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Froch have a chance against Ward?

+13
eddyfightfan
Imperial Ghosty
Colonial Lion
Fists of Fury
Rowley
Seanusarrilius
John Bloody Wayne
BALTIMORA
88Chris05
Union Cane
Scottrf
Steffan
BallchinianMuffwig
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Does Froch have a chance against Ward? Empty Does Froch have a chance against Ward?

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:49 pm

Don't want to over analyse this myself, but I can't see anything else except Ward winning on superior skill, speed, and workrate by decision, does anybody agree or disagree to this? I'd rather see Froch pull off the upset but his tendancy to switch off sometimes and just being as open as he his, I can't imagine him having anymore than a punchers chance!
Thoughts, lads?
Cheers.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Does Froch have a chance against Ward? Empty Re: Does Froch have a chance against Ward?

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:56 pm

I think old big nose has a good chance of winning this as much I hate to admit it. Its all down to Ward though really. If he shows the skills he has and puts on a masterclass then it could be a landslide victory. If he has an off night and big nose performs well then maybe he could win on a decision. Anyone picking big nose (excuse the pun) to win via KO/TKO is deluded. This will be a 12 round fight

COME ON ANDRE

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Does Froch have a chance against Ward? Empty Re: Does Froch have a chance against Ward?

Post by Scottrf Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:57 pm

I saw Steffan as the first reply and I thought 'how many words before he says 'big nose''.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Careful Steffan, picking on (sorry) Carl's nose could easily be construed as being anti-semitic, and you don't want to be going there.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Scottrf wrote:I saw Steffan as the first reply and I thought 'how many words before he says 'big nose''.

You should work for MI5 will observation skills like that...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue 23 Aug 2011, 2:59 pm

Froch is more than capable of beating Ward - I'd say the odds are stacked no more than 60:40 in the American's favour. A couple of years back, I think he'd have comprehensively outboxed Froch as he came forward in straight lines, but Froch's back-foot boxing and discipline in terms of measuring his approach have come on leaps and bounds since then, as demonstrated against Abraham and Johnson, where he mixed foward and backwards movement perfectly.

While Ward is a talent, he is very reliant on being able to bully and outmuscle his opponent, and I'm not sure if he can do that in this fight. Froch will need to cut out the tendancy to get nailed over the top with the right hand (the only thing I could fault him on in either of his last two fights), not because Ward is a massive puncher who could take him out, but because unlike the Johnson fight, Froch won't get the opportunity to unload two or three of his own in response, as Ward will instantly look to hold and muffle the very second he lands anything of note in an attempt to impress the judges.

The smart money is still on a Ward win by decision, but whereas he seems to have stagnated since beating Kessler, Froch has improved in the last twelve months. Don't be at all surprised if Froch wins this.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:00 pm

Union Cane wrote:Careful Steffan, picking on (sorry) Carl's nose could easily be construed as being anti-semitic, and you don't want to be going there.

Doubt it mate considering my fathers side of the family is Jewish

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:03 pm

Your own lineage will not prevent others construing your comments one way or the other you fool.
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:07 pm

Union Cane wrote:Your own lineage will not prevent others construing your comments one way or the other you fool.

Ok I will clear it up now then. I am not anti-semitic. For crying out loud all I did was make fun of Carl Frochs nose. Now all of a sudden im a mini Hitler. Get a grip. Anyway back to boxing. How do you see this fight going then Stain? Bet your backing your boy big nose for a KO/TKO is it?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:09 pm

He has as much chance as the next guy. If Froch starts fast, throws a lot of punches and keeps his workrate up for the full twelve rounds then who knows, perhaps Ward might only be given one or two scores of 120 on the cards. Something spectacular will be needed to convince me this tournament's not utterly plagued by bias in the scorecards.

People talk about Froch being lucky against Dirrell, but he won a close split, so it was hardly a robbery. Against Kessler the fight was closer than one scorecard in particular suggested, but Froch still lost. Johnson should have lost a UD, not the SD as was given.

Ward on the other hand has been given free rein to use his head against Kessler. He was given a free win against Bika, because Bika was never meant to have a chance. Still though the scorecards should have been closer than they were, and Ward had the audacity to complain of Bika fighting dirty.

This fight may not be in Oakland but let's not try to deceive ourselves that it's anything other than another home fight for Ward. He's a skilled fighter but until he's pulled up on his less-than-legal tactics I refuse to sing his praises.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:11 pm

I can't see my boy getting the decision in the US, so he will have to take the fight to Ward and yes, I can see Carl knocking him out late in the fight. He'll ship some punishment, but Ward isn't the hardest puncher in the world and I think Carl will have to walk through some shots to get to his man, but get to him he will.

Froch TKO10
Union Cane
Union Cane

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:12 pm

Steffan wrote:
Union Cane wrote:Your own lineage will not prevent others construing your comments one way or the other you fool.

Ok I will clear it up now then. I am not anti-semitic. For crying out loud all I did was make fun of Carl Frochs nose. Now all of a sudden im a mini Hitler. Get a grip. Anyway back to boxing. How do you see this fight going then Stain? Bet your backing your boy big nose for a KO/TKO is it?

Steffan it's the fact that you're utterly predictable whenever certain things or certain boxers are mentioned. If you're gonna mention Froch's conk you might as well mention the fact that Ward looks a little bit Down's Syndrome too...

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:

Steffan it's the fact that you're utterly predictable whenever certain things or certain boxers are mentioned. If you're gonna mention Froch's conk you might as well mention the fact that Ward looks a little bit Down's Syndrome too...

I thought id leave you to do that...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:17 pm

He is an excellent driver...

hang on did I get the right sundrome?

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Union Cane wrote:I can't see my boy getting the decision in the US, so he will have to take the fight to Ward and yes, I can see Carl knocking him out late in the fight. He'll ship some punishment, but Ward isn't the hardest puncher in the world and I think Carl will have to walk through some shots to get to his man, but get to him he will.

Froch TKO10

Just cant see big nose winning by TKO. He hasnt stopped anyone since a tired Jermaine Taylor in round 12. Thats fine he has done well getting some good points victories but as iv said before every fight Froch is in people always seem to pick him for a stoppage but he wins/loses on points instead. As I said...this fight will go 12 rounds

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

Steffan wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:

I thought id leave you to do that...

Someone had to. Seriously, how can anyone not think this is just screaming 'special needs'?:

http://www.sportscelebrity.info/images/pictures/AndreWard4.jpg

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:He is an excellent driver...

hang on did I get the right sundrome?

T-two forty...twofortyseven toothpicks. Twofortyseven. Definitely twofortyseven toothpicks. Definitely.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:30 pm

alma wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Union Cane wrote:I can't see my boy getting the decision in the US, so he will have to take the fight to Ward and yes, I can see Carl knocking him out late in the fight. He'll ship some punishment, but Ward isn't the hardest puncher in the world and I think Carl will have to walk through some shots to get to his man, but get to him he will.

Froch TKO10

Just cant see big nose winning by TKO. He hasnt stopped anyone since a tired Jermaine Taylor in round 12. Thats fine he has done well getting some good points victories but as iv said before every fight Froch is in people always seem to pick him for a stoppage but he wins/loses on points instead. As I said...this fight will go 12 rounds

Really? I don't remember many people picking him to stop Abraham or Johnson

Alma, I don't think anyone noteworthy did. Abraham was expected to take Froch's head off once the supposedly inevitable tear-up ensued, and Johnson was expected to he just what he was-a tough challenge, but with Froch as favourite.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:49 pm

Froch actually has a good chance of winning, Ward is noticibly smaller and lesser reach, Froch needs to be excellent with his range and use his attributes to his advantage.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:53 pm

Might be heart ruling head as I would dearly love Froch to win this, the very fact it would seem it would annoy steffan is reason enough to want him to win. However think post Kessler there is a real determination about Froch and he genuinely seems to see it as his destiny to win this. Think there are certain points that people make about how hard it will be for him to get a decision over there that are valid but think Froch will realise this and if he can avoid attacking in straight lines as Chris has mentioned and avoid his tendency to coast in rounds or leave some open to interpretation as he can have a tendency to do he can win this.

Seems to me Carl is a little better when he has something to prove or has a real fire in his belly such as when he won the title from Pascal or when he beat Abraham. Would not back him with my own money but he absolutely has a chance in this one.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:54 pm

Audley thought it was destiny, too, Rowley.

My own view is a Ward UD, but a Froch win is highly possible IF he fights the right fight, and that is high volume, in your face, rough when needed.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 23 Aug 2011, 3:57 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Audley thought it was destiny, too, Rowley.

Yes but Froch actually throws the odd punch, something that is pretty central to winning a boxing match but is alas a lesson a step beyond Audley.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Tue 23 Aug 2011, 4:07 pm

I see this as Wards fight to lose. All round I think hes better than Froch, with the better speed, skills and versatility.

If he employs the right gameplan and discipline then I think he should win by several rounds.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:50 pm

rowley wrote:Might be heart ruling head as I would dearly love Froch to win this, the very fact it would seem it would annoy steffan is reason enough to want him to win

I feel kinda honoured by that comment Laugh

You want Froch to win because of me

Damn I just love leaving an impression on people Very Happy

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 6:59 pm

Frochs fights since Taylor are as follows:

Dirrell, Kessler, Abraham and Johnson, 3 of whom have proven to have very good chins while the other is nigh on impossible to hit cleanly so it's only logical that Froch hasn't stopped any of them, with Ward we don't know too much about his punch resistance so it's hardly absurd to suggest that Froch may well stop him.

Going for a close but comfortable points win for Froch, he's got a 5 inch reach advantage which in essence should enable him to utilise his under rated jab to the fullest, can't see Ward having the power to trouble him and in such a high profile fight can't see him being able to get away with murder as he has in the past.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:48 am

i see the TKO stoppage in the 11th or 12th, think ward will start strong and froch will be chasing him for the first couple of rounds, then expect froch to work him out and start landing, ward will probably try butting and holding to put froch of but he solders through and pushs ward into the later rounds, forcing the stoppage. thats how i see, with my prediction records lately if that happens ill eat my hat.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

Everytime I expect Froch to get his backside whipped he surprises me. So I will expectthe cobra to get whipped again and will probably be surprised as usual. Ward did beat Kessler though so I expect him to get the job done in 12 (116-112)
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:34 pm

how much have the fighters been amking during this tourney? Does anyone know? Just curious, obviously it is a fairly high profile tourny and one which might end some of the combatants careers at highest level. So was wondering how much Froch et al are getting coin-wise for this

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 24 Aug 2011, 3:37 pm

Froch's been getting a mill a fight I believe. $

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

yeah i thought it was around there. That is not bad, kinda feel like he desrves a little more but after 5 fights thats plenty to work with. If he gets a win against Ward eh can expect more tho at least a couple million $ v Bute for example

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:05 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:yeah i thought it was around there. That is not bad, kinda feel like he desrves a little more but after 5 fights thats plenty to work with. If he gets a win against Ward eh can expect more tho at least a couple million $ v Bute for example

think a rematch with kessler will make a few quid as well

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:32 pm

i agree eddy. A rematch with Kessler is a fight i defo see happening if Froch even loses to Ward. Kessler is a willing traveller and if Ward ebats Froch then surely he fights Bute, altho i see a Bute v Ward figth ebing very hard to negotiate as they both like to stay at home.

Froch wins, then again a Bute fight will be hard to negotiate. Froch will defo want a homecomer and i dont see Bute leaving montreal to go to notts do you?

But Kessler would, even as champ he would if the money was right which as long as Froch puts up good show against Ward it will be

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 5:37 pm

So would big nose want a Kessler rematch in England then or would he go to Denmark again?

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed unnecessary comment)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:04 pm

I dont see Froch being willing to travel to denmark after last time steffan. He thinks he was robbed ( i do ont thik he was robbed) so he wouldnt go if he could at all avoid it. Would take a decent amount of cash to get Kessler to england if Froch didnt have a belt but at the city ground, on sky, i think it could be done. Kessler is certainly more likely to travel with the WBO belt than that pansy Stielgitz

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:07 pm

Why would Froch go to denmark again they fough there once and Froch knows the judges are dodgy. If Kessler was fair he would fight him in england to prove himself or maybe in america as its neutral. I think froch would win a rematch but he should stay well clear of Denmark unless hes sure he can knock him out.

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:11 pm

I doubt a rematch will happen. Big nose wont go to Denmark again. Having already beaten him convincingly Kessler has no need to go to Engayland and prove himself. Hopefully big nose will lose to Ward and retire paving the way for fellow Engaylishmen DeGale and Groves to give it a shot

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:10 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed unnecessary content)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:12 pm

Don't do yourself any favours do you?

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Waingro Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:13 pm

lol Froch would school Groves and DeGale and so would Kessler imo

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:15 pm

Waingro wrote:lol Froch would school Groves and DeGale and so would Kessler imo

At the moment yes but give it a year or two and both would defeat him. DeGale more so

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed unnecessary content)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:17 pm

Froch would batter Groves and Degale and Cleverley for thatmatter, all 3 need far more development. Froch wont go to Denmark again unless beltless and desperate and even if he loses to Ward he should still have options as he is now well known in states and with showtime who like him. For examle he could have a homecoming bought and then fight the winner/loser of Bute Ward. If Froch beats ward then he doesnt have to go to anyone, he will be recognised as best in division by all.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Give it 4 years when Froch is shopworn maybe, But not in a time frame that is reasonable. Neither Groves nor Degale have shown evidence that they can handle a beast at the weight.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:18 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:If Froch beats ward then he doesnt have to go to anyone, he will be recognised as best in division by all.

I think Kessler would have something to say about that...

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed unnecessary content)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:20 pm

nah, WBA,WBC,Ring belt and run of 7 fights against top opposition beating 6.

Kessler can say what he likes, Froch is king if he beats Ward.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:32 pm

A win over Kessler would fully legitimise his claim though Sean, we'd be left in a situation where arguably one of three could still have a slight claim to supremacy although I would go for Froch but we can't overlook his loss to Kessler.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:34 pm

Seanusarrilius wrote:nah, WBA,WBC,Ring belt and run of 7 fights against top opposition beating 6.

Kessler can say what he likes, Froch is king if he beats Ward.

Agreed. Froch would be in a paper/scissors/stone scenario if he beats Ward, but he'd have had a better run than Kessler, even including the loss to him.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:38 pm

Steffan wrote:I doubt a rematch will happen. Big nose wont go to Denmark again. Having already beaten him convincingly Kessler has no need to go to Engayland and prove himself. Hopefully big nose will lose to Ward and retire paving the way for fellow Engaylishmen DeGale and Groves to give it a shot

www.evilempirebook.com

Why are you linking your posts to that particular site, and inserting 'gay' into every reference to England? Anyone would think you're both fiercely anti-English-speaking AND homophobic.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:39 pm

Or a WUM.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:41 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
Steffan wrote:I doubt a rematch will happen. Big nose wont go to Denmark again. Having already beaten him convincingly Kessler has no need to go to Engayland and prove himself. Hopefully big nose will lose to Ward and retire paving the way for fellow Engaylishmen DeGale and Groves to give it a shot

Why are you linking your posts to that particular site, and inserting 'gay' into every reference to England? Anyone would think you're both fiercely anti-English-speaking AND homophobic.

Oh dear I must have got my spelling wrong. 'Engayland' should be 'Engerland' as the football fans pronounce it. As for the book, its a good read and being as this site needs some advertising to keep going I though I would help out

Last edited by Y I Man on Wed 24 Aug 2011, 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Removed unnecessary content)

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

Well, quite. I'm just wondering why coxy was threatened for making a remark which was far less homophobic on a different thread, earlier today.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Wed 24 Aug 2011, 6:42 pm

How very mature.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next