The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Wales currently better than England?

+35
nottins
Luckless Pedestrian
nganboy
Hound_of_Harrow
Shifty
mcrjfNo7
Turkster
Mr BDO The true darts.
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
HammerofThunor
bathmad
nottins_jones
Comfort
Great White
BATH_BTGOG
Islingtonv2
dummy_half
eirebilly
formerly known as Sam
Taylorman
BigTrevsbigmac
Biltong
Taffineastbourne
mckay1402
wales606
Totallybiasedscarlet
tomathy
offload
Cymroglan
Gatts
beshocked
welshy824
majesticimperialman
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
krusty
39 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Who out of the two nations is currently the best at rugby?

Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Vote_lcap34%Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 34% 
[ 29 ]
Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Vote_lcap66%Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 66% 
[ 57 ]

Total Votes : 86

Poll closed

Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Empty Are Wales currently better than England?

Post by krusty Tue 23 Aug 2011, 5:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

If Nottins was a cat then this article would be the catnip,

Based on the warm up matches, would you say Wales are currently better than England or are England currently better than Wales?

TWICKENHAM:

England 23 - 19 Wales

England - 2 Tries
Wales - 3 Tries

CARDIFF:

Wales 19 - 9 England

Wales - 1 Try
England - 0 Tries

AGGREGATE:

Wales 38 - 32 England

Wales 4 Tries - England 2 Tries

krusty

Back to top Go down

Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are Wales currently better than England?

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 8:50 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Hersh oops I mean BATH_BTGOG you don't believe population size has any relevance ?

It has chuff all to do with it. Remind us again how many FIFA World Cups that China have won.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Are Wales currently better than England? - Page 3 Empty Re: Are Wales currently better than England?

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:35 pm

nottins wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Hersh oops I mean BATH_BTGOG you don't believe population size has any relevance ?

It has chuff all to do with it. Remind us again how many FIFA World Cups that China have won.

If China was a major footballing nation then they may well do very well at it.
Of course the population size and player pool has a lot to do with it it's a argument used often enough when you want to claim Sky sport is yours.

Last edited by Cymroglan on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 9:57 pm

Cymroglan wrote:
If China was a major footballing nation then they may well do very well at it.

Of course the population size has a lot to do with it it's a argument used often enough when you want to claim Sky sport is yours.

Well done for moving away from your point, that countries with large populations should dominate sports 🤦

I'm sure Greece were/are a major footballing nation when they won the Euro Football ?

Jesus. You really have no idea about marketing to a target audience, do you ? When have i ever claimed Sky sports is mine ? 🤦

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:02 pm

Nottins read the thread title ,,, Are Wales currently better than England? what the hell has China got to do with all this.?
It was you that moved away from the point of the article by doing a world tour.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:04 pm

Cymroglan wrote:England should be far better than Wales our population is far smaller.
Considering how small the population of Wales is we are punching way above our weight.
We are ranked 6th in the world and there is no reason why we cant climb a bit higher thats brilliant for such a small nation.

That is what I said.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:08 pm

So, why are you mentioning population sizes ? What the hell has that got to do with all of this ?

You were the one who first moved away from the point of the article by mentioning population sizes.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:13 pm

Of course population size has everything to do with it law of averages is on the side of the country with the largest population.
It's extremely naive of you to think that it does not make a difference.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:25 pm

🤦 NZ and Wales have similiar populations, but NZ consistently beat Wales, again and again and again. Just like Wales beat Scotland consistently with similiar populations. Remind us again where the hugely populated China rank in the IRB rankings.

Last edited by nottins on Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:29 pm

Smart and correct as always Cymro.

"If Nottins was a cat then this article would be the catnip,"

Need we say much more...
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:30 pm

nottins wrote:🤦 NZ and Wales have similiar populations, but NZ consistently beat Wales, again and again and again. Just like Wales beat Scotland consistently with similiar populations. Remind us again where the hugely populated China rank in the IRB rankings.

Stop using silly comparisons Football is not popular in China and neither is Rugby but I'm sure that they have many championship medals in the sports that are popular there Table tennis Badminton Gymnastics etc

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:33 pm

So I was right. Population size has nothing to do with success with sport. Thanks for agreeing with me. Why can't Wales beat NZ at rugby union even though population sizes are similiar ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:40 pm

One million plus more people live in New Zealand, And yes population size has everything to do it if that country is a rugby nation
And of course there is every chance that similar sized nations will have a dominant rugby team.
Since you have brought that subject up why cant England a country thats far more populated than New Zealand beat them on a regular basis.
We a smaller nation are not expected to beat them.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:44 pm

Cymroglan wrote:One million plus more people live in New Zealand, And yes population size has everything to do it if that country is a rugby nation
And of course there is every chance that similar sized nations will have a dominant rugby team.
Since you have brought that subject up why cant England a country thats far more populated than New Zealand beat them on a regular basis.
We a smaller nation are not expected to beat them.

Because the overall population has little to do with the quality of the top 22 players.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:46 pm

But that's the fault of the larger nations if you have a larger player pool to select from then that means there is something drastically wrong with the system.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:54 pm

You do know that it's only recently that NZ have a larger population than Wales ? Oh, it's due to being rugby nation now is it ? 🤦 Wales rank below Haiti in the FIFA world rankings, which of those two sides is a football nation ?

Why can't Wales, a country that's far more populated than Fiji beat them on a regular basis ? It doesn't explain why Wales haven't beaten NZ in the last 50 years.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:57 pm

Why can't England, a country that's far more populated than Ireland beat them on a regular basis? It's really puzzling me now.. Thunor?
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 10:59 pm

Thunor, have you ever wondered why Wales, a country far more populated than Fiji and Samoa fail to beat them on a regular basis ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaysus Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:01 pm

There are positives both ways to having a small population or a large one. Small population means you have less strength in depth, but you can focus all your energy on one or two gems in each position. A large position means you have strength in depth, but it is harder to make the right choice when picking who to focus on.

Jaysus

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:03 pm

nottins wrote:You do know that it's only recently that NZ have a larger population than Wales ? Oh, it's due to being rugby nation now is it ? 🤦 Wales rank below Haiti in the FIFA world rankings, which of those two sides is a football nation ?

Why can't Wales, a country that's far more populated than Fiji beat them on a regular basis ? It doesn't explain why Wales haven't beaten NZ in the last 50 years.

Wales have beaten Fiji on a regular basis I cant remember without checking but I think Fiji have only won one and drawn one.
I know nothing about Football I support rugby but I would not class Wales as a football nation.
I answer all your questions yet you avoid mine.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:04 pm

Thunor, has it ever occured to you that England, a country far more populated than Wales fail to beat them on a regular basis? Even when they have more posession and more players on the pitch they still can't do it! 28 years without beating Wales man! laughing
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:17 pm

Cymroglan wrote:

Wales have beaten Fiji on a regular basis I cant remember without checking but I think Fiji have only won one and drawn one.
I know nothing about Football I support rugby but I would not class Wales as a football nation.
I answer all your questions yet you avoid mine.

Your point that was that large populations should beat smaller populations. When did Wales with a LARGE population last beat Fiji with a SMALLER population ?

Wales have more supporters at club/province level at football than they do at rugby. That makes Wales a football nation thumbsup Wales are ranked below a country hit by catastrophic natural disaster. I.E. Haiti, Why is that ? Population size ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:24 pm

Again you are discussing football I have already stated that I do not have a interest in football if I did I would be in their forum.
All you needed to do was Google the Wales Fiji results
201O Wales 16 16 Fiji Draw
2007: Fiji won 38-34 in Nantes (RWC)
2005: Wales won 11-10 in Cardiff
2002: Wales won 58-14 in Cardiff
1995: Wales won 19-15 in Cardiff
1994: Wales won 23-8 in Suva
1986: Wales won 22-15 in Suva
1985: Wales won 40-3 in Cardiff
As you can see Wales have beaten them several times. I thought you would have known that.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Now this is going to bring back memories for certain people who were in Dubai at the stadium at the time: http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=wales+sevens+world+cup&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=742&gbv=2&tbm=isch&tbnid=NyrbCIjWKKtNXM:&imgrefurl=http://www.sportydesktops.com/wallpaper/W/10/&docid=paLcddjQtoIWhM&w=800&h=600&ei=JR1YTvmiMIKa-wbmlpS7DA&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=125&page=1&tbnh=134&tbnw=220&start=0&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0&tx=159&ty=84

Joyful memories for some, painful ones for others...
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:30 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Again you are discussing football I have already stated that I do not have a interest in football if I did I would be in their forum.
All you needed to do was Google the Wales Fiji results
201O Wales 16 16 Fiji Draw
2007: Fiji won 38-34 in Nantes (RWC)
2005: Wales won 11-10 in Cardiff
2002: Wales won 58-14 in Cardiff
1995: Wales won 19-15 in Cardiff
1994: Wales won 23-8 in Suva
1986: Wales won 22-15 in Suva
1985: Wales won 40-3 in Cardiff
As you can see Wales have beaten them several times. I thought you would have known that.

Anyone who uses Wikipedia would have known that, something this poster regulary uses to back up his 'facts.'
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-bryns-attitude Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:35 pm

nottins,
if wales are a football nation why did only 6000 attend the last football international a few weeks ago? yet 73000 and 51000 turned up for the rugby internationals.

mr-bryns-attitude

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:45 pm

Wales haven't beat Fijii in the last 5 years....

Perhaps Wales' poor football ranking, just above the naturally disastered Haiti might have something to do with it ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:47 pm

Anyone know why nottins is still talking about football?

🤦
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:49 pm

Anyone know why Welsh Little Girl is stil talking his usual load of garbage ?

Last edited by nottins on Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

Only someone who know nothing about everything would say Wales was a football nation. God forbid.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:51 pm

Wales have a far better record than Fiji.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

He's just an all-around embarrassment to his fellow fans on here isn't he? Especially when proved wrong, notty just gets worse when his back is to the wall. He'll dig up something else totally irrelevant from Wiki soon.
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 26 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

Population of War torn Haiti is over ten million yet another example that population size does make a difference.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins_jones Sat 27 Aug 2011, 12:13 am

Tumbleweed

Well looks like we won this one lads. Oh... That's yet another win for Wales over England then! Wink

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo
nottins_jones
nottins_jones

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:08 am

Anyone like to explaing why the Faore Islands are ranked higher than Wales in FIFA world rankings ? Is it due to population size ? I thought not.

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:14 am

mr-bryns-attitude wrote:nottins,
if wales are a football nation why did only 6000 attend the last football international a few weeks ago? yet 73000 and 51000 turned up for the rugby internationals.

If Wales are a rugby nation, why do Cardiff Blues manage an average attendance of around 8,000 yet Cardiff City manage well over 20,000 ?

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by nottins Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:15 am

Looks like I've won this one.

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

nottins

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:22 am

Congratulations you have earned yourself a pint of Magners

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knackeredknees Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:33 am

Just to put my 2p in.... I'm classed as art of the player pool! i'm 37 with a right knee thats held togeter by blind luck and strapping, and a lot less fitter that i was when i was 23.... and play 8 for my local vets/4ths with a bloke whos over 60.....still think i could do a better job than Hape though

Knackeredknees

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat 27 Aug 2011, 10:50 am

I dont usuall like to get involved in these discussions but what i will say is that population does have an inpact on standards. However it doesnt always have to be a positive impact.

Wales with the smaller population focus' mainly on :
Rugby Union
Football

England with the larger population focus' on significantly more sports :
Football
Rugby Union
Rugby League
Cricket
Hockey
Tennis and several more.

These range of sports will drastically reduce the percentage of players that England are able to attract to play rugby i would imagine.
I am not trying to have a go at Wales here as i am sure that they play these sports as well but not to the same level as England.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3