The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Two most valuable players to each side

+30
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
George Carlin
boomeranga
mckay1402
geoff998rugby
samuraidragon
Taffineastbourne
Standulstermen
gavstar
jb1973
kingjohn7
Geordie
ML
ScarletSpiderman
bedfordwelsh
welshy824
dummy_half
Seagultaf
offload
munkian
thebandwagonsociety
disneychilly
nottins_jones
Trevor Brennan Rugby Tour
beshocked
HURLEY_BURLEY
Thomond
Notch
red_stag
flankertye
34 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Two most valuable players to each side - Page 2 Empty Two most valuable players to each side

Post by flankertye Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:03 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, who are the two most important, most vital players to each side. Players their team simply cannot afford to lose.

South Africa
For South Africa it simply has to be Victor Matfield and Bismarck du plessis. Matfield is simply the best lineout operator in the world and is vital for his leadership as well. Du Plessis, the best hooker in the world by some margin. Strong, aggressive with an incredibly work rate. Lots of people expecting him to have a fantastic world cup.

Australia
Has to be Genia. One of the best players in the world and vital for the way Australia want to play the game.
Rob Horwill is my second choice, one of the few quality front five forwards Australia have, Really excited to see how his captaincy affects the team.

New Zealand
Do I even need to say it? Without Dan Carter and Richie McCaw, they are very beatable.

England
Wilkinson. His experience and ability to turn pressure into points will be vital. Second choice, I'm gonna have to say Easter. Experienced and as no one else has seen a huge amount of game time at 8, an early injury to him would leave us with Haskell at 8 for the whole competition. Whilst I'm sure Haskell will be an incredible 8 in a few years, he's not ready yet.

France
France have great depth in most areas and I am not the most clued up on french rugby. But Dusatoir for his leadership and consistency and Harinordoquy for his skill and versatility.

Italy
Gonna have to say Masi at fullback and Castro at tighthead. Both very very good players.

Wales
Adam Jones. Probably Wales most important player.
Gavin Henson, only kidding. James Hook for his versatility and skill.

Scotland
I would say Barclay, but Scotland also have great strength in their backrow. Will probably say Richie Gray would be one of the biggest losses, as would Joe Ansbro. One of the few very exciting Scottish backs.

Ireland.
Gonna have to say O'Connell. Their lineout looks a lot better, and Ireland seem to be more focused and fired up when he's playing.
My second choice is Sean O'brien. Whilst I'm a huge fan of Ferris, he is very injury prone and O'Briens ball carrying is a huge positive for Ireland and how they want to play.

Your thoughts?

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Two most valuable players to each side - Page 2 Empty Re: Two most valuable players to each side

Post by flankertye Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:02 pm

wouldn't...

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Two most valuable players to each side - Page 2 Empty Re: Two most valuable players to each side

Post by Shifty Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Wales - Hook, Adam Jones

England - Wilkinson, Ashton

Ireland - BOD, ROG

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:11 pm

Scotland - Jacobsen and Ford (no replacement for either)

Wales - Adam Jones and Warburton (now that Williams is out of the picture)

England - Youngs (now that Care is out) and Ashton

Ireland - Ross and Healy

France - Dusatoir and Clerc

Australia - Genia and Cooper

South Africa - du Plessis and Matfield

New Zealand - McCaw and Carter

Italy - Parisse and Masi

Argentina - Albacete and Contepomi

Done.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:02 am

I go Genia for NZ - just imagine the running game we could develop
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:10 am

MVP Forward and back
Eng - Palmer and Wilkinson
Scot - Barclay and Ansbro
Wales - Warbs and Roberts
Ire - POC and BOD
NZ - McCaw and Carter
AUs - Horwill and Genia
SA - Victor and Fourie
Italy - Parisse and Masi
France - Trinh Duc and Harinordoqy

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:08 am

Barclay and Ansbro aren't essential for Scotland. Rennie is probably the best player outside of the starting XV and would fill in for Barclay nicely, and actually there's a strong debate right now as to whether Ansbro should start ahead of NDL, who showed good form in the warm-ups.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by flankertye Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 am

Jesus. NDL showing some form. Theres a first...

flankertye

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:35 am

I know. Before his first cap for Scotland he was named at 13 in the Magners Team of the Year the prior season, then in his first cap he produced the worst display of any back I've ever seen, including Bergamasco at 9. Since then he's been pretty average for both Edinburgh and Scotland.....until now. He's much better at 13 than at 12, and AR and Gregor seem to have got him rediscovering his old vim. In terms of ability he's actually a pretty complete player. Good hands, pretty fast, good step and a strong tackler. Problem is he's a confidence player, and Scotland can't afford to have too many of those knocking around.

Still, he's on good form now and it's pleasing to see. I'd still pick Ansbro to start at 13 personally, although would probably give NDL the Romania game.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2