The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gary Lockett interview

Go down

Gary Lockett interview Empty Gary Lockett interview

Post by J-Hop Sun 28 Aug 2011, 5:59 pm

Q. Over the last 10 years boxing training has changed noticeably. The typical set up now consists of a boxing coach, a fitness and conditioning coach and a nutritionist. Do you believe that this set up is now essential in getting a boxer to world class level or is there an element of faddiness to this?

A. I've said my ways are modern but there are tried and tested old school methods that you cannot get away from. Two things you cannot do without - running and sparring. I've heard numerous 'experts' say that as a boxer, you don't need running. All I can say is that those 'experts' have never been in a boxing ring and felt the pain and distress of what real tiredness/exhaustion feels like. I do my fighters Strength and Conditioning myself as I am qualified but I leave the nutrition to a guy that we use. All aspects are very important but boxers are boxers at the end of the day, not runners or body builders and I think it is vital to not forget that basic fact.

Full interview at
http://www.boxing-articles.com/coaches-corner-interview-gary-lockett/

J-Hop

Back to top Go down