The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats

+22
Jaysus
english warrior
Thomond
PJHolybloke
B91212
damngoodOvalball
G2
Feckless Rogue
Dr Kenneth Noisewater
bathmad
Taylorman
aucklandlaurie
Comfort
HERSH
Effervescing Elephant
disneychilly
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
TheGreyGhost
emack2
dave568
OzT
gmclachl
26 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats Empty A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats

Post by gmclachl Wed 31 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

Interesting read.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/opinion/5535927/A-word-on-the-All-Blacks-play-Cheats

gmclachl

Back to top Go down

A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats Empty Re: A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats

Post by OzT Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:15 pm

Geesh, harsh words..

I guess it all depends which side of the ditch you're from.. if it's cheating or skill..

LOL!!

Smile

OzT

Back to top Go down

A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats Empty Re: A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats

Post by dave568 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 3:19 pm

For heavens sake dont let GreyGhost see this, He'll hav a coronary!!!

dave568

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:09 pm

IF the man was honest he could write a similar article ON every country in the land.Starting how the great England side under Sir Clive Woodward,led
J Johnson ,Dallagio,and Back THEY wrote the Book.
First rule in Rugby play to the Referee,I absolutly love it because the All Blacks are the best team in the World[by results].
Ipso facto they are the best Cheats,in EVERY Breakdown the Ref could
penalize either side for a dozen different offences.
How many Refs know enough about the Scrum to pick constant infringements by both sides.
Forward passes,Rush defence that dos`nt work unless your offside.same with kick and chase.
Players pinned down by All Blacks,maybe,Australia on Saturday were doing it better and got away with it.
Nonu penalised for tackling the man without the ball,Conrad Smith,and McCaw had the same thing done to them no penalty.
Vito penalised for coming in the side of a ruck.Horwill at the same Ruck standing offside at All Black side of the ruck nothing.
In the Bok match at least two penalties for not releasing at the Breakdown
Heinrich Broussow was pinning the offending player down,he COULD`nt release.No one says he`s cheating ,listen to the one eyed commentators.
Brilliant play he WON[cheated!!!}a penalty for his side.What was said before the match,we will get physical and WIN penalties.ANOTHER Euphesim
for cheating.
IF are truthful,open both eyes EVERY team on the planet cheats,collapsing scrums,crooked scrum and lineout feeds are coached.
As long as the IRB allows such complex laws ,instead of simplifying them it
will go on.
Recent bitching about the TMO`s duties needs fixing let the TMO advise on cheating..YES there will be games ruined by penalties ,and cards.
BUT eventually instead of coaches condoning,and even teaching them eventually thelesson will be learned.
Ive never read such niave biased,one eyed, clap trap in my live,GROW UP cheating has been rife.
Since William Webb Ellis picked up the ball and ran ,and EVERY country worth there salt does it.The credo isn`t playup,playup,and play the game.
It`s what can I get away with to help my team,when your team wins it does`nt matter how.Every team has an ENFORCER what do you think his duties are?to give the other sides players a good talking too !!!.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:13 pm

Mark Reason is one of England's most experienced sports columnists, he migrated to New Zealand and now calls this country home.

And yet to this day, I meet English people who still ponder aloud why the rest of the world believe their comments border on ignorance.

I can see him now, sitting in one of those mock-English pubs on the North Shore watching Arsenal v Man U. on play back seething into his Boddingtons Pub Ale.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:14 pm

Mark Reason has "form" for these types of comments.

I do find it amusing how some migrants can form an irrational dislike for the locals in their adopted country and seize any opportunity to aggravate or put down their new compatriots Whistle
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:16 pm

Sick of all this to be honest. Every team does and the hypocrisy staggers me. Since New Zealand are usually the benchmark they cop it more than anyone because everyone's trying to get a leg up over them. Just tall poppy syndrome.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:19 pm

I also think that bringing the Rainbow Warrior into it is getting low. People died, y'know.

Frankly if he'd posted that article here, I reckon he'd be serving a 24 hour ban. I got one, don't y'know for just pointing out that half the English team were not English.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Effervescing Elephant Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:20 pm

Kiwireddevil wrote:Mark Reason has "form" for these types of comments.

I do find it amusing how some migrants can form an irrational dislike for the locals in their adopted country and seize any opportunity to aggravate or put down their new compatriots A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats 590675

Whatever do you mean KRD? Not suggesting a case of Pot/Kettle colour establishment are you? A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats 589312
Effervescing Elephant
Effervescing Elephant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:31 pm

Carpe Diem wrote:

I do find it amusing how some migrants can form an irrational dislike for the locals in their adopted country and seize any opportunity to aggravate or put down their new compatriots A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats 590675

Whatever do you mean KRD? Not suggesting a case of Pot/Kettle colour establishment are you? A word on the All Blacks' play: Cheats 589312

Who me? devil
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:36 pm

Good article and so true.

My favourite comment below the article was this one.

Aaron #638 03:15 pm Aug 31 2011
You're a cheat for making me read this article! I want my 10 minutes back!

10MINS to read that! ha ha ha laughing
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed 31 Aug 2011, 4:50 pm

HERSH wrote:Good article and so true.

My favourite comment below the article was this one.

Aaron #638 03:15 pm Aug 31 2011
You're a cheat for making me read this article! I want my 10 minutes back!

10MINS to read that! ha ha ha laughing

Hersh. Your comment borders on ignorance.

I think we can now close that "who is the bigger whinger" thread. Having found the winner.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Wed 31 Aug 2011, 5:00 pm

I agree with Wayne Barnes.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 9:10 pm

Thought it was too good to be true, 606v2 had gone nearly 10 days without a New Zealanders cheat article. BORING.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:15 am

Colin meads has announced the abs dont cheat but is prepared to discuss the matter personally with anyone with an issue with it. Openly and without bias.
For some reason the discussion needs to take place behind his no. 5 Shearing shed at his tekuiti home.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

Hardly breaking news though. We've all known it for years.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:27 am

aucklandlaurie wrote:
Thought it was too good to be true, 606v2 had gone nearly 10 days without a New Zealanders cheat article. BORING.

Yep. It seems that "New Zealand cheats" has usurped that "New Zealand poaches South Sea Islands" myth, now that some of the English fans have (a) realised it isn't true and (b) become a little embarrassed that their team is largely comprised of foreigners now.

I like the broad all-encompassing nature and utter lack of any specifics. It's just such utterly transparently sand-pit stuff "yeah, well you lot, CHEAT" and those great substantiating arguments "Just watch them play, it's all cheating, all of it.". Have to say, as far as uneducated and childish whining goes, this particular line of complaint just about takes the biscuit for all time barrel bottom scraping.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:58 pm

to be fair guys, how dare you score more points than the other team, its definitely cheating.

how dare you.

Change ' New Zealand' to any side with a reasonable amount of success and the article still reads relevant.

Its part of the game we love, the same as refereeing inrerpretations and the colours of alternative kits. Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

New Zealand cheats

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

New Zealand poaches South Sea Islands

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:39 pm

Dr Kenneth Noisewater wrote:New Zealand poaches South Sea Islands

Wow, why would we boil books by RL Stevenson?

Geography lesson: The "South Seas" do not exist outside of historical pirate novels.

Now if you meant to suggest that New Zealand selects players of Pacific Island descent then what of it? So do Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, Australia, England, Wales, ...

Not selecting eligible players because of race counts as discrimination Wink

Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

KWD - Cool your jets. It was a p1ss-take of your man GG.

The sentence doesn't even make sense.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:45 pm

Dr Kenneth Noisewater wrote:KWD - Cool your jets. It was a p1ss-take of your man GG.

The sentence doesn't even make sense.

Sorry mate, the term "South Sea Islander" is a pet peeve - it's regarded as a racist term in parts of the Pacific.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:47 pm

Dr Kenneth Noisewater (Nottins), I refute your contention which I fear has crossed the border into ignorance.

I will now be blissfully unaware of any further of your attention seeking attempts. So knock yourself out.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:49 pm

KRD - no need to apologise.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:51 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Dr Kenneth Noisewater (Nottins), I refute your contention which I fear has crossed the border into ignorance.

I will now be blissfully unaware of any further of your attention seeking attempts. So knock yourself out.

Eh?

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:10 pm

Look. New Zealand do cheat. It's just a fact. There are countless examples. They cheat in every game they play. Denying it is laughable.

But EVERY rugby team cheats. If there is a rugby team somewhere that never bends the rules then I'd say they're not very successful.

The thing that annoys the opposition is that New Zealand are much cleverer at it and seem to get away with more.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:16 pm

Oh stop whining.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:32 pm

I give up.

Only New Zealand cheat.

Wales have no chance of beating S.Africa and shouldnt bother turning up at all, looks like we'll be lucky to scrape past namibia according to some people.

England are full of mercenarys and not a single member of their team grew up dreaming of playing for England.

Wayne Barnes has an agenda against the All Blacks, he doesnt just make mistakes.

The mullet is a good hairstyle, flambouyant yet efficient.

Cooper is a big girls blouse.

McCaw isn't the messiah, hes a very naughty boy.

George North (despite speaking welsh fluently and living in Wales his whole life) is English.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 02 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

NZ are the best team, so they must be the biggest cheats. Isn't that what this thread is about?

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

disneychilly wrote:NZ are the best team, so they must be the biggest cheats. Isn't that what this thread is about?

I dont even know anymore, all the threads in the world descend into one of the above categories with no-one making any sense and everyone twisting stories to suit their purpose!

I think the original topic was that only NZ cheat and thats why they're considered the beat in the world........

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

I thought the gist of it was more: English journalist moves to NZ then shoots his mouth off in the local press trying to drag the reputation of the national team of his adopted country, and host of the show piece tournament through the gutter, not to mention bringing into question the integrity of the sport as a whole on the eve of the game's showpiece. That was it wasn't it?

Very professional of him.

Last edited by TheGreyGhost on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:05 pm

All these arguments sound fine.

Skill, fitness etc have no part to play in the modern game

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:29 pm

G2 wrote:All these arguments sound fine.

Skill, fitness etc have no part to play in the modern game

+1

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:34 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I thought the gist of it was more: English journalist moves to NZ then shoots his mouth off in the local press trying to drag the reputation of the national team of his adopted country, and host of the show piece tournament through the gutter, not to mention bringing into question the integrity of the sport as a whole on the eve of the game's showpiece. That was it wasn't it?

add a dash of xenophobia and a pinch of constant whingeing and sounds like you two are made for each other. I'm sure he could get you into the RWC games as his +1

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

regarding the article (and fully agreeing with several of the above posts) the actual premise is quite correct, although I'd use the words pushing the laws rather than cheating. McCaw is an awesome player partly because he has the skill to play the ref, in other words to get away with things that lesser players dont. I would LOVE to have a player of his ability in the England team. The closest we have had is probably Neil Back, who won us countless turnovers by "cheating" sometimes quite blatantly (apologiees people of Munster).

And dont save your rage GG, I am not saying that Neil Back was better than Richie is.

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:41 pm

*meant save your rage xx

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:44 pm

damngoodOvalball wrote:*meant save your rage xx

dont do it GG, he meant it, do not save your rage!

unleash hell! Laugh

plus, I think i mentioned it earlier, just replace "New Zealand" with the most successful team of any era and the whole article is just as true.

Last edited by Comfort on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding something sensible)

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by B91212 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:47 pm

I do find it amusing how some migrants can form an irrational dislike for the locals in their adopted country and seize any opportunity to aggravate or put down their new compatriots Whistle

Joking aside (seeing as I know you don't really do that much anyway) I understand what you mean with this comment. Most of our friends here are Canadian but we do know a couple of fellow Brits - every time we see they spend all their time moaning about things Canadian. I always feel like saying if you don't like it then f*** off back to England, but the Mrs would be upset if I did.

As with most others on here I agree, the All Blacks do cheat and probably a bit more than some of the other top nations. However, they are good at getting away with it and unless they are caught then fair play, you do what needs doing to win - this is top class international sport. I'm realistic enough to know that one of the reasons England won in 2003 was that at the time they were the best at the (very) dark arts.

B91212

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Fri 02 Sep 2011, 4:59 pm

And Munster were great at the dark arts when they were European Champions. And I seem to remember a few blocks by Leinster when they made that magnificent comeback in the final this year. The reason that the best rugby team is always open to the accusation of 'cheating', is because EVERY team bends the rules. Any team would love to have Back or McCaw. I just find it funny when Kiwi's point blank deny that the All Blacks bend the rules at all. They do, and they're very good at it.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:21 pm

I can't believe we're discussing New Zealand's alleged cheating after two weeks which saw local South African, then Australian TMO's blatantly cheat to favour the home team. Wayne Barnes (chief cheat) referee NZ, and Quade Cooper knee a prone Richie McCaw in the head and get away with it by telling one of the most obvious lies in sporting history at the judiciary.

If we're pointing the finger why not start at the kind of institutional cheating that sees things like the 16 man debacle and Bloodgate happen. Remind which nation was responsible for those?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:29 pm

I think it was the same nation who's skipper was headbutted in the back of the head by an All Black, whilst lying at the bottom of the ruck. I seem to recall the excuse then as he cant have done because he believes in god or something like that.

RE the article, just accept it and be proud that the AB's are better at it than all the other teams who attempt to do the same. Stop being so precious!

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:36 pm

The article isn't a celebration of NZ's sneakiness, it's an all out assault.

You can't level a withering attack on a team's integrity and then accuse their supporters of being "precious" when they respond.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by damngoodOvalball Fri 02 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

Read through all the above comments GG. A huge majority of all the posters are basically saying that they wish their teams were as good at 'pushing the rules' at the breakdown so to speak, as the ABs.

Your typical response to anyone who dares suggest anything slightly negative about NZ, even when doing so in a postive light (again, see above comments) is to deny it then lash out off subject about Wayne Barnes, pretty much every other ref, British colonial history, the tube, food poisoning, etc etc etc blah blah blah weep weep weep.

As Feckless Rogue put it, "The reason that the best rugby team is always open to the accusation of 'cheating', is because EVERY team bends the rules. Any team would love to have Back or McCaw. I just find it funny when Kiwi's point blank deny that the All Blacks bend the rules at all. They do, and they're very good at it.."

Now stop being so precious

damngoodOvalball

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:28 pm

Pure class, unfortunately too subtle for those who habitually "border on ignorance". clap

mug Have this on me.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:I thought the gist of it was more: English journalist moves to NZ then shoots his mouth off in the local press trying to drag the reputation of the national team of his adopted country, and host of the show piece tournament through the gutter, not to mention bringing into question the integrity of the sport as a whole on the eve of the game's showpiece. That was it wasn't it?

At least you have the good grace to do it for free.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:35 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:The article isn't a celebration of NZ's sneakiness, it's an all out assault.

You can't level a withering attack on a team's integrity and then accuse their supporters of being "precious" when they respond.

I can't believe you haven't exploded yet.

You're better than the telly; even though the level of repeats is about the same, you still edge it.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 02 Sep 2011, 7:49 pm

NZ cheat,every team cheats,McCaw cheats,Jennings cheats,hell even Warburton probably cheats. Any good backrow should cheat. Move on.

Last edited by Thomond on Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by english warrior Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:23 pm

The AB's DON'T cheat, while all the rest of the teams DO cheat, because the AB's have every ref and IRB comittee in their pockets.

How bad does it have to be before the AB's get their just deserts, and as for the earlier crack about England under Clive Woodward having written the book, well, if they did, then they got the Blueprint from the Kiwi's. If the AB's have to face what England have had to face, and still do, they would'nt have the one WC that they possess. ( mind you the AB's were the only pro side at the time)

I am an ardent England fan, but don't care who wins the Webb-Ellis as long as those cheating, whinging AB's fall short. I thank you!

english warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Fri 02 Sep 2011, 10:11 pm

Of course NZ have every ref in their pocket. I mean Wayne Barnes did everything in his power to help NZ win the QF but the All Blacks just didn't get the hint.

Staggered at the ignorance too. If NZ were a pro side then would Craig Green have been sitting outside his house at 6am on the Monday afterwards waiting to go to work?

Also hypocrisy. If Neil Back wasn't breaking every rule in the book then England wouldn't have their only WC either. Jog on mate.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next