The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The golfers' Music Room

+51
westisbest
1GrumpyGolfer
Adam D
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
MontysMerkin
puligny
Hibbz
pedro
Roller_Coaster
golfermartin
Bob_the_Job
Aruglia
dynamark
barragan
thedamned3putt
NedB-H
incontinentia
Fader
Skydriver
Yadsendew
Marcus
liegerwoods
SpacemanSpiff
Mercurio
gaelgowfer
EmmDee57
JAS
Shotrock
tarka
beninho
Doc
SmithersJones
BlueCoverman
Nay
Noshankingtonite
oldshanker
Doon the Water
Faldono1fan
MustPuttBetter
Diggers
Lairdy
princedracula
drive4show
oldparwin
navyblueshorts
Maverick
McLaren
super_realist
kwinigolfer
Davie
55 posters

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20

Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 20 Empty The golfers' Music Room

Post by Davie Thu 01 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

First topic message reminder :

Mac started a really good thread today and while I'm not as fussy about things going off topic as some people, it does seem a shame to drown out Mac's thread with music chat - so I think we'll have a music corner for us golfers (in addition to the forum-wide music section)

I know Kwini is keen on his music, often throwing musical references into his ballwasher topics (I remember one of his last efforts on the old site being entitled The Boys Are Back In Town, and the conversation going off into Thin Lizzy territory!

S_R (on the other thread) made a reference to "hating the Beatles" - discuss! Whistle

Davie

Back to top Go down

The golfers' Music Room - Page 20 Empty Re: The golfers' Music Room

Post by beninho Wed 06 May 2020, 8:22 pm

Queen are overrated... but Muse aren't. Still have no idea why I like muse and not queen. Its weird.

Some good post 2000s songs there. Freak like me by the sugarbabes is good. Massive hit made them no money! Bet you look good on the dance floor still bangs aswell.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 6:16 am

Never seen the appeal of Muse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 6:35 am

If you are not into over the top rock music mixing anything from prog style to more operatic, with great guitar playing and a singer going falsetto, then Muse won't be for you. Again, I could have described queen. Maybe I need to listen to more queen?

Anyway, I stand by that Muse have made some great albums and songs. The cover of feeling good is one of my favourite covers of anything. Knights of Cydonia is a crazy good song. And the guitar work on origin of symmetry album is great.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 6:41 am

I think it's the singers voice which I don't like. He makes it an effort to listen to Muse.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 07 May 2020, 7:30 am

beninho wrote:Queen are overrated... but Muse aren't.
Queen have sold 10 times as many records as Muse. Don't think that's being overrated.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 07 May 2020, 7:31 am

super_realist wrote:I think it's the singers voice which I don't like. He makes it an effort to listen to Muse.

That's exactly it for me. He always sounds out of breath and trying to catch it. Gets very irritating after a while. The music is pretty good but once I've got that breathlessness in my head I can't shake it

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Thu 07 May 2020, 7:34 am

Back to the Stranglers - Have they ever done anything of note since Hugh Cornwell left? I always thought he was a crucial part of the band and when he left I thought that was it. Many friends who have seen them since say they are just as good and the "new" guy has probably been there longer than Hugh now, but I don't think I've ever heard anything including him - and even with the increased airplay since Dave Greenfield died, all I've heard on the radio is Hugh era stuff. Walk on By is an all time classic though

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 7:49 am

I'm never wrong wrote:
Queen have sold 10 times as many records as Muse. Don't think that's being overrated.

I know, it was more that a passing attempt to crow my weird liking of muse, against a bit of a meh for Queen. When they are really quite similar.

Queen have some absolute bangers.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 8:03 am

I'm never wrong wrote:

Number of sales doesn't mean you aren't overrated, I don't think Queen are over-rated in particular, but plenty bands are. The Beatles are massively overrated for example, but have sold millions if not billions.

One Direction, Justin Timberlake, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Jay-Z, Maria Carey etc have all sold millions, are they overrated? Of course. They're absolutely abysmal. In fact, often the more mainstream you are the more overrated your music (and anything else is), especially when someone becomes so entrenched in the public consciousness that to say anything against them is seen as sacrilege, e.g Bob Dylan who is truly terrible and undeniably overrated.
For example, I think Tarantino is massively overrated, doesn't stop a lot of people liking his films. Daniel Craig has been massively overrated as Bond for example, but SPECTRE made millions despite being the second worst Bond film of all time.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 8:13 am

Justin Timberlake has some great pop songs. The ones with the Neptune's and some recent ones from movies. Really good.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 8:26 am

I love music. Always wished I'd learnt to play an instrument. When I was a kid I always wanted to play the bass and be like Flea. Anyone else play anything? My mum loved music, and I grew up with radio 2 and her old LPs. She loved the kinks and Steve Winwood. We played Gimme Some Lovin at her cremation, though the lyrics about the temperature rising and the place being hot made me smile.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 07 May 2020, 8:32 am

beninho wrote: Always wished I'd learnt to play an instrument.
Me too Ben. A friend once lent me a bass guitar and I learnt the three (?) notes on the intro to Gary Moores Parisian Walkways whilst he played the main part. That was about my limit.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 9:08 am

beninho wrote:I love music. Always wished I'd learnt to play an instrument. When I was a kid I always wanted to play the bass and be like Flea. Anyone else play anything? My mum loved music, and I grew up with radio 2 and her old LPs. She loved the kinks and Steve Winwood. We played Gimme Some Lovin at her cremation, though the lyrics about the temperature rising and the place being hot made me smile.

Been through phases, got a couple of nice guitars which have become largely ornamental.
Always thought it would be great to jump up on stage amd give a rendition of Johnny B Goode at the work Christmas party.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 May 2020, 2:55 pm

I love my music too, stumbled on a cover in youtube yesterday of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day doing Manic Monday and Susannah Hoffs from the Bangles bouncing around with a guitar in another window. Now right there is probably the sexiest 61 year old your ever likely to see :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Thu 07 May 2020, 3:31 pm

Anyone see Post Malone (someone I've heard of rather then heard) doing an hours worth of Nirvana covers, actually pretty well!

Now Nirvana are not overrated! And in a very nirvana way, he didn't play teen spirit.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 May 2020, 3:33 pm

beninho wrote:Anyone see Post Malone (someone I've heard of rather then heard) doing an hours worth of Nirvana covers, actually pretty well!

Now Nirvana are not overrated! And in a very nirvana way, he didn't play teen spirit.

Sounds like some unknown yank on the Web.com tour.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 May 2020, 3:56 pm

Davie wrote:Back to the Stranglers - Have they ever done anything of note since Hugh Cornwell left? I always thought he was a crucial part of the band and when he left I thought that was it. Many friends who have seen them since say they are just as good and the "new" guy has probably been there longer than Hugh now, but I don't think I've ever heard anything including him - and even with the increased airplay since Dave Greenfield died, all I've heard on the radio is Hugh era stuff. Walk on By is an all time classic though

When I was younger Dave I thought Hugh was the very definition of “cool as f***” To be fair much of the early stuff suits his voice a lot more than Baz. I was gutted when he left, then I saw them at MK bowl supporting Simple Minds and they had Paul Roberts on vocals, it just didn’t work and it put me off them for a bit. But to be fair to Baz he’s now well grown into the role and is a great live performer. Their great strength is that they are much more a touring band than a recording band. I’ll be honest the vast majority of clientele at Stranglers gigs these days are fellow 50/60 somethings who come to jump around and reminisce about their misspent youth, the old tracks do that superbly, new material is used sparingly :-p and yes I do love their version of walk on by

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 07 May 2020, 3:58 pm

JAS wrote:I love my music too, stumbled on a cover in youtube  yesterday of Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day doing Manic Monday and Susannah Hoffs from the Bangles bouncing around with a guitar in another window. Now right there is probably the sexiest 61 year old your ever likely to see :-p Certainly puts Mac’s femme fatale Laura Kuennesberg in the shade

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 16 May 2020, 1:52 am

OK,
This may be turning in to the obituary page, BUT:
\
Two important departures:

Phil May

Astrid Kirchherr

At one time it seemed, perhaps for only a week or two, as if it was a toss up as to whether the Pretty Things or the Stones would be the London challengers to the Beatles etc.

And Astrid Kirchherr was an amazing observer of all thing Hamburg and, from the vantage point of being Stu Sutcliffe's girlfriend, The Beatles. Extraordinary photographer and raconteur of Beatles history. Wonderful interview of her with Terry Gross on NPR's Fresh Air which I'm trying to find for the benefit of all! Here's the start of it:

https://www.npr.org/2010/11/19/131394072/beatles-photographer-astrid-kirchherr-opens-up

Both examples of the importance of knowing the past before we can understand the future.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 28 May 2020, 10:46 am

YouTube suggested this for me:

Good effort, I reckon!
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 28 May 2020, 1:13 pm

beninho wrote:Justin Timberlake has some great pop songs. The ones with the Neptune's and some recent ones from movies. Really good.

Whether people like him or not, he’s certainly talented at what he does.
Not a major fan of his overall.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Thu 28 May 2020, 1:18 pm

Used to listen to a lot of Queen back in the day.

Springsteen is the man.
The Killers
James

Also a big Saw Doctors fan.

Just to name a few.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Mon 01 Jun 2020, 6:12 pm

westisbest wrote:Used to listen to a lot of Queen back in the day.

Springsteen is the man.
The Killers
James

Just to name a few.

Certainly agree on Springsteen, should have been seeing the Killers a week tomorrow at Ashton Gate, it’s now been postponed until next May. Always thought James were massively underrated, they had so so much more than just Sit Down.

The Clash were always my favourite hard to believe it’s 40 years since they were in their pomp, I last saw them on the ‘82 Combat Rock Tour. I did go to a gig, must have been a good 6 years ago now where it was the Farm and Mick Jones and various guests who came on in turn, played a song of their own then their favourite clash song, epic Gig that was :-)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 01 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

Check this out - a fabulous cover version of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street by one of my favourite artists at the moment - Neal Morse (and friends, Mike Portnoy and Randy George)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IszlXuQ99Fo

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 01 Jun 2020, 7:31 pm

Davie wrote:Check this out - a fabulous cover version of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street by one of my favourite artists at the moment - Neal Morse (and friends, Mike Portnoy and Randy George)

Awesome Davie - and I NEVER, ever use that word.

(Gerry Rafferty was a tortured soul . . . . . . )

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 02 Jun 2020, 3:12 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:
Davie wrote:Check this out - a fabulous cover version of Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street by one of my favourite artists at the moment - Neal Morse (and friends, Mike Portnoy and Randy George)

Awesome Davie - and I NEVER, ever use that word.

(Gerry Rafferty was a tortured soul . . . . . . )

That’s just one of those timeless tunes, you can’t work out what it actually has....but it has it...in spades!!

Sure I read somewhere years ago that what he was singing about wasn’t actually Baker Street in London but some little backstreet in Dundee that had back doors into a few bakeries. Walking down that street in the early hours after a boozy night on the pull, popping into a bakery for some warm bread and a chat with a baker.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 02 Jun 2020, 4:06 pm

It's the ultimate dad tune.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 02 Jun 2020, 6:24 pm

Always a great Dave Grohl version!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 02 Jun 2020, 6:24 pm

So, favourite cover versions?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Tue 02 Jun 2020, 6:33 pm

You tube wormhole...

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Tue 02 Jun 2020, 8:20 pm

Gin Blossoms thumbsup

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 02 Jun 2020, 9:44 pm

I love Brandi Carlile's tribute to the great John Prine, for my fave recent cover.

Introduced by Stephen Colbert:

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/stephen-colbert-brandi-carlile-john-prine-tribute-hello-in-there-1234575992/

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 03 Jun 2020, 10:33 am

westisbest wrote:
Hay Wrap is a class tune. I also enjoy their version of Sugababe's "About You Now".
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Wed 03 Jun 2020, 10:43 am

beninho wrote:So, favourite cover versions?
Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower would probably be mine. RHCP's take on Higher Ground is pretty cool too. There's many more I cant think of.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:11 am

How about this for a cover, you can’t tell it’s old by how young Springsteen looks although Grohl looks like he hasn’t changed at all.
https://youtu.be/MkyeGVuc2pQ

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:11 am

Faith No More covering Easy is brilliant.

Soft Cell - tainted love, so good you dont realise its a cover.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:13 am

....or for a really out there cover...how about this one...

https://youtu.be/zYNfOaxDHts

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:54 am

Pretty good effort. Portnoy makes drumming look too easy.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:55 am

incontinentia wrote:
beninho wrote:So, favourite cover versions?
Hendrix's version of All Along the Watchtower would probably be mine. RHCP's take on Higher Ground is pretty cool too. There's many more I cant think of.
OK. Hey Joe wasn't bad either.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Jun 2020, 12:01 pm

Not my favourite song, by any means, but the closing solo makes it worthwhile:

The guy in the red fedora(?) knew how to play a bit...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Wed 03 Jun 2020, 2:37 pm

Inline w/ this thread being about dead musicians, and on the subject of Hendrix doing covers, how about SRV covering Hendrix:

-------

https://www.606v2.com/viewtopic.php?t=69611
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 20 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20