The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things you do just because that's what golfers do

+24
thedamned3putt
kwinigolfer
Caito
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
George1507
Shotrock
Doon the Water
SmithersJones
Lairdy
barragan
mystiroakey
super_realist
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Plunky
shudofhita4iron
Skydriver
Slowride
Nay
oldparwin
McLaren
dynamark
twoeightnine
28 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do Empty Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by twoeightnine Fri 21 Sep - 15:46

A little while I turned up for a few holes and got asked to join up with some guys who had just hit off so hadn't put on my glove and nailed my drive. So I continued like that and had a great round. I have since tried it a few times since and I the only thing I find is that when I hit from the rough my hand can get ripped by the cord grips if the club moves.

But it got me to wondering why I really wear one and I realised that I always have because that is what everyone else seemed to do. Now it is a habit that I am not comfortable breaking.

Is there anything else that anyone else does just because they saw people doing it so it has become habit? Something like waggling before hitting. I understand the idea but I used to do it just because that is what I saw on TV.

I even knew someone who used to tap his back foot on the floor because that was what Jonny Wilkinson did. We obviously pointed out that Jonny did this to squash his toe so that his foot was hard for kicking the ball not hitting a golf ball but he carried on anyway!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do Empty Re: Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by dynamark Fri 21 Sep - 15:48

Get up in the dark and walk around for 4 hours getting cold and wet

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do Empty Re: Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by McLaren Fri 21 Sep - 19:03

This is not something I do, but it seems some people stalk a putt from every angle just because they say the pro's do the same thing. Unless you are a very good putter it seems unlikely looking at it from every angle will help?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Fri 21 Sep - 19:32

More of the younger golfers are taking their hands of the club in the middle of their follow through swing, as that's what the Pros do when they hit a bad shot.

Another is standing staring at the ball for 2/3 minutes after they have missed a putt, both very annoying if you are playing them in a match.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Fri 21 Sep - 20:01

I shoot 67's week in week out because I saw the pros doing it.

Seriously I don't think there is anything I specifically do because the pros's do. Although I have tried many things to see if they work, none of them did for me.

Though I never used to have a waggle, until the pro I was getting lessons from recommended I get one as I tensed my wrists up so much.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Fri 21 Sep - 20:13

oldparwin wrote:Another is standing staring at the ball for 2/3 minutes after they have missed a putt

bit of an exaggeration? if not you should find others to play with

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by Skydriver Fri 21 Sep - 20:23

Allowing yourself to be conned into buying something otherwise mundane just because it is labelled as a golf item (e.g. belts, socks, alignment rods...).

Skydriver

Back to top Go down

Post by shudofhita4iron Sat 22 Sep - 9:09

tap the sand off my shoes after a bunker shot
well i did until i hit my ankle ,now i just stamp my feet

shudofhita4iron

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sat 22 Sep - 12:52

If I hit a really good approach shot , then as walk up to the green I modestly acknowledge the applause of an imaginary gallery. But only if there's nobody around.

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Sat 22 Sep - 14:56

shudofhita4iron wrote:tap the sand off my shoes after a bunker shot
well i did until i hit my ankle ,now i just stamp my feet
That hurts like a b*stard doesn't it?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by shudofhita4iron Sat 22 Sep - 19:29

oh yes first the ankle bone then all your partners laughing hurts aswell

shudofhita4iron

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Sat 22 Sep - 19:45

Plunky wrote:If I hit a really good approach shot , then as walk up to the green I modestly acknowledge the applause of an imaginary gallery. But only if there's nobody around.
me too, does yours include a few tips of the cap?

If i hit an approach that's heading for the flag i really exaggerate the eyes going up and down just cos the pro's do it. I'm not sure of the reason for this.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sat 22 Sep - 19:49

I sometimes lift my trouser leg when getting the ball out of the whole, only I exaggerate it to a urine taking degree.

Why do they do this?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sat 22 Sep - 23:43

Nay bother
I made a comment on a post don't need a Pratt to tell me what I do or do not see.

Slowride
I will say the same to you, I do not exaggerate and have no choice as I have to play them in our knockout match play comps.

When I do make comments they are truthfull ones not made up lies, really piddled off by sarky comments

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Sun 23 Sep - 1:21

incontinentia wrote:
Plunky wrote:If I hit a really good approach shot , then as walk up to the green I modestly acknowledge the applause of an imaginary gallery. But only if there's nobody around.
me too, does yours include a few tips of the cap?

If i hit an approach that's heading for the flag i really exaggerate the eyes going up and down just cos the pro's do it. I'm not sure of the reason for this.

Yep, definitely a few tips of the visor. I also like to hold the pose after a good shot. But again, only if there's nobody around. I'm a high handicapper and i don't want low handicappers making fun of me. Very Happy

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Sun 23 Sep - 8:47

oldparwin wrote:Slowride
I will say the same to you, I do not exaggerate and have no choice as I have to play them in our knockout match play comps.

When I do make comments they are truthfull ones not made up lies, really piddled off by sarky comments

dont know what you mean about sarky comments
i just cant believe anyone stands for TWO OR THREE MINUTES looking at a ball that has failed to drop
it may feel that long but it surely cant be

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 23 Sep - 9:17

oldparwin wrote:Nay bother
I made a comment on a post don't need a Pratt to tell me what I do or do not see.

Im sorry if my post offended you, however I am unsure why as it has nothing to do with what you posted about.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Sep - 11:07

cant think of anything whats so ever to be honest. I just play the game. I twirl my club, i pose and remain still on my follow through after a good shot. But i am sure that is kinda natural anyway and not because pros might do it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Sep - 12:11

BTW twotime i rarely wear a glove. And if its raining or too hot i never wear a glove.

I dont think gloves are a neccesity at all.

But to answer what do we do just because golfers do it. The obvious is having a pint after a round!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Sep - 18:56

Two or three minutes staring at a missed putt is DEFINITELY an exaggeration OP. You may have seen it once (I would have whistled at them to get them to hurry up) but I bet it's not something you see regularly. A three ball could tee off and reach their balls in three minutes. I just don't believe anyone would be that shocked at a missed putt. 20 seconds max.

Ever measured it on a stopwatch?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Sun 23 Sep - 19:00

why are we getting pedantic over OP's comment? Whatever the exact time some people seem to spend a lot of time on the green before and after they hit a putt.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 23 Sep - 19:09

does seem a lot of mississippi's... doesn't really matter though, OP's example is one i find annoying too, though i'm probably guilty of it on occasion - though i don't think i'd take more than 5 mississippi's!

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Sun 23 Sep - 19:09

Because it's nonsense Mac. Nobody would put up with their playing partners looking forlornly at a putt for 180 seconds, let alone the group behind.

People do spend too much time though over a putt or any other shot though, I'm with you on that. I think the brain acts better on instinct, rather than a prolonged protracted stage of preparation. I take zero practice strokes on any putts and no practice swings either on other shots confident my brain will adjust how far I have to move the ball.

What does a practice swing really achieve? Nothing as far as I can see.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Slowride Sun 23 Sep - 19:22

i dont think its pedantry over opws comments - just don't like being called a pratt and being told im sarky when all i did was question the time spent

20 seconds would be outrageous to stare down a missed putt but 2 or 3 minutes is clearly an exaggeration

Slowride

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sun 23 Sep - 19:41

A practise swing as part of a pre shot routine is probally more important than just random swings, however losening up the body is also helpfull

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Sun 23 Sep - 20:44

Nay bother

I owe you an apology, as I totally misread your post, so please accept my apology.

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Sun 23 Sep - 20:53

No Worries OP,

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Mon 24 Sep - 10:15

Spend £3 or £4 on one ball. There is also the wee dance shuffle when you pick up the tee after a good drive - the one you know you've split the fairway the second you've hit it. The shuffle that leads to your non standing leg kicking back when you bend down and 'weech' the tee out all in one movement.

For the guy who's annoyed at the post missed putt period of disbelief - do you play with Lee Westwood?

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 24 Sep - 11:34

What about the lean when trying to levitate the ball from too far right or too far left!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 24 Sep - 11:35

Or indeed talking to it!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Mon 24 Sep - 22:14

Take my hat off to shake hands.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 24 Sep - 22:21

Doon

What sort of hat do you wear?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 24 Sep - 23:05

Talk to my golf ball mid flight or mid putt.

We're not on speaking terms for the most part.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 25 Sep - 7:54

Taking your hat off when you shake hands is good manners. Nothing to do with what they do on TV.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 25 Sep - 7:56

Are hats an affectation like I found a glove to be?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 25 Sep - 8:23

They most certainly are. For the pros they're an irritating advertising billboard which I want to rip off their heads when they're interviewed and the rest just copy the pros. There's no need to wear them in the U.K. what-so-ever unless you happen to play in glasses and it's raining. Might be different in steaming heat elsewhere in the World I guess.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Tue 25 Sep - 8:28

navyblueshorts wrote:They most certainly are. For the pros they're an irritating advertising billboard which I want to rip off their heads when they're interviewed and the rest just copy the pros. There's no need to wear them in the U.K. what-so-ever unless you happen to play in glasses and it's raining. Might be different in steaming heat elsewhere in the World I guess.

I can't play in sunny conditions without a hat on. I often try but between shading my eyes and needing to stop getting a sunburned face (I'm not a ginger but my skin is!) I find I can't do without the shade of a hat.
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 25 Sep - 8:28

Blazing sunshine - I'll wear a hat to stop my heed a burning as it's not as lush up there as once it was. otherwise not a massive fan of them.

Spain tomorrow and doesn't look like I'll need one there either Sad

I'll bemoan my lack of luck on the holes I dropped shots (generally by hacking out of the rough somewhere I left myself and failing to get up and down from 85 yards) whilst simultaneously regaling the world in how good my birdie from the trees on 10 was despite a consistently bad drive in both instances...

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 25 Sep - 8:36

Forgot about the sunburn potential. That's a fair enough excuse for some but shouldn't have been many wearing them this Summer:-

Spoiler:
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 25 Sep - 8:44

George I do not wear a hat unless I am golfing or hillwalking.

If I wore a trilby every day I would have the grace to doff it to the ladies.

I also like people who remove their sunglasses when being introduced, good manners that tends to be of a bygone age.

Mac I have a varied range of golfing/walking hats.....my favourite is a Lowe Alpine luggy hat for cold weather.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Tue 25 Sep - 9:10

I think just shaking hands is good enough manners.. Not gonna take off my top hat or sunnys for anyone..

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Tue 25 Sep - 9:51

I wear a visor (not a ladies one like brandt) when its wet - essential to keep the rain off my glasses.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 25 Sep - 10:55

Doon

Is that like a davie crockett hat?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Tue 25 Sep - 11:07

Doon king of the wild frontier

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 25 Sep - 11:56

I once drove my SUV into a fire hydrant...
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 25 Sep - 12:10

incontinentia wrote:I once drove my SUV into a fire hydrant...
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Tue 25 Sep - 13:55

Not necessarily things I do myself, but...

- Leaning to the right when you pull the ball, and to the left when you push it.
- Club twirl after a good shot.
- Holding the finish after a good shot.
- Using wooden tees that only last a couple of holes instead of plastic ones that last for months.
- Wearing golf shoes (and golf gear in general) to watch golf. You wouldn't wear golf shoes to go for a walk in the park.
- Wearing a visor instead of a cap.
- Calling a golf course a "track".
- Calling the green the "dance floor".
- Wearing a white belt.
- Wearing any type of fluorescent clothes.
- Believing any clothing with Galvin Green written on it is automatically worth 3 times as much, however rubbish it looks.
- Thinking that you have made it in life when you have a reserved parking space in the members car park.
- Wearing a jacket and tie to have Sunday lunch in a restaurant that looks like the set from Fawlty Towers.
- Wearing wristbands with mystical magic properties.
- Checking your alignment / swing plane / stance every time you stand in front of a mirror (eg in a lift).
- Accurate knowledge of sunrise / sunset times throughout the year.
- Owning a pair of chino's.
- Owning a blazer.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue 25 Sep - 16:00

Mac
Check it out. [on Lowe Alpine website]
Luggie Hat is essential wear for winter golf and hill walking.
It has a small wired visor which you can shape round your glasses [if you wear them that is]. Also has a flap that can be worn up or down dependant on the temperature of your lugs. 100% better than a beanie.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 25 Sep - 16:08

Sounds good doon. I shame it is not a davie crockett hat as I liked the image of someone bounding down the fairways with one of them on.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Caito Tue 25 Sep - 21:26

Interesting to note how many of the Ryder cuppers ditch the hats at Medinah when they are not under sponsors obligations. usually a few.

Personally I tend to wear a cap when it's raining wool hat for cold. rare hot sunny day might risk a visor.

Agree sunglasses and hat off for intros and handshake is good manners not affectation.

Caito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next