The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Things you do just because that's what golfers do

+24
thedamned3putt
kwinigolfer
Caito
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
George1507
Shotrock
Doon the Water
SmithersJones
Lairdy
barragan
mystiroakey
super_realist
incontinentia
navyblueshorts
Plunky
shudofhita4iron
Skydriver
Slowride
Nay
oldparwin
McLaren
dynamark
twoeightnine
28 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do - Page 2 Empty Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by twoeightnine Fri 21 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

A little while I turned up for a few holes and got asked to join up with some guys who had just hit off so hadn't put on my glove and nailed my drive. So I continued like that and had a great round. I have since tried it a few times since and I the only thing I find is that when I hit from the rough my hand can get ripped by the cord grips if the club moves.

But it got me to wondering why I really wear one and I realised that I always have because that is what everyone else seemed to do. Now it is a habit that I am not comfortable breaking.

Is there anything else that anyone else does just because they saw people doing it so it has become habit? Something like waggling before hitting. I understand the idea but I used to do it just because that is what I saw on TV.

I even knew someone who used to tap his back foot on the floor because that was what Jonny Wilkinson did. We obviously pointed out that Jonny did this to squash his toe so that his foot was hard for kicking the ball not hitting a golf ball but he carried on anyway!

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Sep 2012, 12:15 pm

Not sure why the pros don't follow us amateurs a little:
In my case shouting b0ll0cks after almost every shot.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Things you do just because that's what golfers do - Page 2 Empty Re: Things you do just because that's what golfers do

Post by thedamned3putt Wed 26 Sep 2012, 4:11 pm

not even looking at a drive if i've welted it down the middle. just make that little shuffle to pick the tee up and then a casual glance over my shoulder to see it bounce in the middle of the fairway. this does not happen very often, so i allow myself this indulgence.

i also do the wave to the crowd when i nail and approach shot but of course, not if anyone is around...

and hats. i have a collection of caps from clubs all over the world but i only wear one if it's sunny. if it's wet, it's my trusty sowester style number which is great. and a coventry city wooly hat for the cold. hats aren't an affectation, they're a necessity!

thedamned3putt

Back to top Go down

Post by twoeightnine Wed 26 Sep 2012, 4:39 pm

thedamned3putt wrote:not even looking at a drive if i've welted it down the middle. just make that little shuffle to pick the tee up and then a casual glance over my shoulder to see it bounce in the middle of the fairway. this does not happen very often, so i allow myself this indulgence.

Which always leads to the great gag of saying "Whoa what a horrible bounce" to get you to turn back again.

twoeightnine

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:09 pm

3putt. good job you only wear one cap, you would look silly with four on.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 26 Sep 2012, 5:14 pm

Super

We've got a guy at our club (who admittedly has some health issues - he's had a kidney transplant) who often wears 4 hats in cold weather. It's a bit of a standing joke - temperature being measured as a one, two, three or four hat day! I think if it's over a four hat day he doesn't bother playing.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:06 pm

Were his kidneys in his head? No wonder he was ill.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:14 pm

One day in the early spring this year it was a bit fresh as we teed off at 7.30am and I wore an under armour beanie to keep the chill out. As the morning progressed it warmed up and I changed to a Nike cap. As we played the last couple of holes the sun came out and I swopped the cap for a Titleist visor.

"F**k me", said one of my playing partners, "I didn't realise we were at Ascot!"

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 26 Sep 2012, 6:39 pm

McLaren wrote:Were his kidneys in his head? No wonder he was ill.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh
Vintage stuff Mac, I actually laughed out loud at that.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:34 pm

McLaren wrote:Were his kidneys in his head? No wonder he was ill.
Laugh He has other issues too (dunno what). Absolutely no fat on him at all and probably weighs 7 stone ringing wet, so got nothing to keep the cold out.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nay Wed 26 Sep 2012, 7:52 pm

I will own up to wearing two hats at times.

when it's cold and starts raining I will wear a Cap with a tammy on top, to keep my head warm while making sure the rain stays out my glasses.

Nay

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Wed 26 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

Me too nb - wooly hat over a visor helps cement my non-trendy image

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Wed 26 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

I used to go out with a Tammy who liked to go on top. And she wore a cap...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 26 Sep 2012, 8:05 pm

As Randy Newman would sing;
"You can leave your hat on".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldparwin Wed 26 Sep 2012, 10:10 pm

Ok let me be the first to admit to wearing thermal long johns under, my trousers, any one else care to admit it????

oldparwin

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Wed 26 Sep 2012, 11:39 pm

raycastleunited wrote:Not necessarily things I do myself, but...

- Leaning to the right when you pull the ball, and to the left when you push it.
- Club twirl after a good shot.
- Holding the finish after a good shot.
- Using wooden tees that only last a couple of holes instead of plastic ones that last for months.
- Wearing golf shoes (and golf gear in general) to watch golf. You wouldn't wear golf shoes to go for a walk in the park.
- Wearing a visor instead of a cap.
- Calling a golf course a "track".
- Calling the green the "dance floor".
- Wearing a white belt.
- Wearing any type of fluorescent clothes.
- Believing any clothing with Galvin Green written on it is automatically worth 3 times as much, however rubbish it looks.
- Thinking that you have made it in life when you have a reserved parking space in the members car park.
- Wearing a jacket and tie to have Sunday lunch in a restaurant that looks like the set from Fawlty Towers.
- Wearing wristbands with mystical magic properties.
- Checking your alignment / swing plane / stance every time you stand in front of a mirror (eg in a lift).
- Accurate knowledge of sunrise / sunset times throughout the year.
- Owning a pair of chino's.
- Owning a blazer.

8 out of 18 for me. It's a good job we are unlikely to ever meet Ray - I would annoy the Hell out of you!

Oh and I wear a cap most times I play, rain cloud or shine, sometimes I even wear a big wide brimmed hat and on the one possibly two occasions a year when I wear shorts on the golf course, they are tailored and I wear knee length socks with them, So there Nyaah, raspberry
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Thu 27 Sep 2012, 7:13 am

I never stick the knee highs on!! thankfully GC's dont require that anymore(well most of em anyway!!)

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Thu 27 Sep 2012, 7:27 am

Do you wear red and white stripey ones like Ms Creamer?

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 27 Sep 2012, 8:36 am

Calling a bunker a "trap" Rolling Eyes

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 27 Sep 2012, 4:34 pm

raycastleunited wrote:...
- Believing any clothing with Galvin Green written on it is automatically worth 3 times as much, however rubbish it looks.
- Wearing wristbands with mystical magic properties.
Laugh Very good ones those two are.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by thedamned3putt Sat 29 Sep 2012, 10:51 am

i will admit to having worn my winter wooly during the competition listed as "summer medal" at our club one year. there was a howling north wind and i wasn't the only one wearing a wooly in august. joys of scottish golf...

thedamned3putt

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Mon 01 Oct 2012, 12:10 am

I think it was Billy Connolly who once said that there are two seasons in Scotland -- June and winter. Whistle

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Mon 01 Oct 2012, 8:39 am

kwinigolfer wrote:As Randy Newman would sing;
"You can leave your hat on".

Joe Cocker surely?
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2