The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What a difference a year can make...

+7
Portnoy
Rava
Gibson
Ozzy3213
poissonrouge
Thomond
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
11 posters

Go down

What a difference a year can make... Empty What a difference a year can make...

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Last year, Exeter Chiefs enjoyed their first ever experience of an AP away game against the Tigers at Welford Road - despite a victory over Glaws in their first ever outing at this level at home, most folk were still predicting the drop. Leading with just 15 mins to go, sadly Exe couldn't put the game away as Leicester brought out the cavalry to take it 37-27. A wonderful performance, even Richard Cockerill found himself praising the Chiefs, who probably had done enough to earn an LBP, but no consolation was to be had.

Roll on one year, first game of a new season, everyone predicting 'second season syndrome', and the Chiefs find themselves back at Welford Road, an inhospitable place at the best of times. But with the Tigers missing 11 players to the RWC (vs just 3 for Exe), despite their excellent recruitment over the summer of Kitchener, Youngs, Tait and Brookes, perhaps they looked slightly vulnerable. Tries from Sireli Naqelevuki, Richie Baxter and Matt Jess were enough to see Exe home with a narrow 28-30 victory (only the Tiggers 2nd defeat at home since Sep-09), even with Gareth Steenson having an off-day with the boot as he left 9 easy points on the table. I hope that this is an indication of the mental preparation that Rob Baxter and co have done overthr summer, so the Chiefs will have the fortitude to hold on to small leads and close out the big games.

A wonderful scalp for the Chiefs Chief

Last edited by AsLongAsBut100ofUs on Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

What a difference a year can make... Empty Re: What a difference a year can make...

Post by Thomond Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:54 pm

A great win,enjoy it Asbo.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

What a difference a year can make... Empty Re: What a difference a year can make...

Post by poissonrouge Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Chief

How!

(note the ! as opposed to the ?)

(You may have to be nearly as old as Asbo to understand this, at least that's what my grandad says!)
poissonrouge
poissonrouge

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:12 pm

Conmgrats buddy, couldn't be happier for you and the Chiefs, hell of a result going to Welford Road and winning. Ale
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Fantastic As. Any win at Welford Rd is to be lauded. Great win. Chiefs on the up. Ale
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Fantastic result As. Really pleased for the Chiefs, a great early statement.
Just hope we can repeat this in November when we visit Welford Road.
cider

Just noticed Swanny was the only one in the Virtual Pub SG League to predict a win for Chiefs. Shame Asbo Braveheart
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 am

I already congratulated As on a fantastic win on another thread, but I'm very happy to do so again.

But (and I'm not being bitter here honestly), the timings of the RWC always seem it impinge on the NH leagues at the expense of the SH nations.

With potentially 30% league time (depending on national performances) of NH clubs/sides exposed to RWC national duty and to injury dependent on game time exposure, it makes a lottery of a League.

And I'm not convinced it doesn't make a mockery of a system where the losers in the big two professional leagues in the NH where avoidance of relegation is paramount.blood flowing.

In the countries within which the the financial and commercial blood keeps the oxygenated pumped.

As I've suggested before: the tail is potentially wagging the dog.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:15 am

Portnoy, think of it as revenge for not allowing newly promoted clubs like Exe a level playing field in financial terms (ie 'P' shares) OK

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:27 am

Balanced by the share of England players compensation funds?
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:36 am

Great start to the season for Exe, with Newcastle up next it could well be 2 from 2 this time next week. Exeter have really added something to the league and have made a mockery of the system seemingly designed to make life hard for the newly promoted teams.

I'm sure Leicester will be in the top 4 come next April though, they have far too many good players not to.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 am

Portnoy wrote:Balanced by the share of England players compensation funds?
I'll see your England players compensation fund and raise you players contributed to youth/age-group sides Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:58 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
I'll see your England players compensation fund and raise you players contributed to youth/age-group sides Chief

It is fantastic that the Chiefs kids have done so well in the age groups.

But. But. But...

The Jeff should not be devalued into Slum Dog Millionaire every four years.

You acknowledged that the Tigers were bereft of seniors. As were Leinster who got stuffed in round. And the Sarries.

But a league is a league - especially if the loser(s) take a huge financial hit.

So for me the the SH should take more of a hit in the years when the RWC is played in the NH. And RWC timings should be equalised in favour of the home nation.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 pm

Portnoy, we have plenty of England-qualified players at Exe, not sure that you can blame us if current England management don't value their talents? Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:05 pm

Portnoy wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:

It is fantastic that the Chiefs kids have done so well in the age groups.

But. But. But...

The Jeff should not be devalued into Slum Dog Millionaire every four years.

You acknowledged that the Tigers were bereft of seniors. As were Leinster who got stuffed in round. And the Sarries.

But a league is a league - especially if the loser(s) take a huge financial hit.

So for me the the SH should take more of a hit in the years when the RWC is played in the NH. And RWC timings should be equalised in favour of the home nation.
No problem with your suggestion, makes sense OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Another year on and gearing up for a HC campaign.
When the movie is made about Exeters remarkable story, which part will Mickey Rourke portray?

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Michael Caine as Tony Rowe, Sub? Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:49 pm

Definitely. However if we're on a budget I would suggest Tom O'Connor.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Laugh

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:07 pm

The first two acts of "Exeter Chiefs - A Premiership Tale" have gone well.

The third act is of course critical and help decide what type of film we are watching.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Moorsman Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:54 pm

action packed thriller so far and I can't see it being any different this season : Yahoo What a start to 12/13 season with Chiefs playing the other 5 11/12 top six sides Very Happy Doesn't look like I need to worry about the Warbonnet getting wet on Saturday either Chief
Moorsman
Moorsman

http://www.thechiefstribe.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down