The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad?

+25
wales606
Golden
gowales
welsh-matfield
HammerofThunor
The Great Aukster
majesticimperialman
LordDowlais
bedfordwelsh
Rory_Gallagher
thebluesmancometh
mystiroakey
irnbrew
MunsterMac
maestegmafia
bluestonevedder
formerly known as Sam
thomh
Mad for Chelsea
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Gibson
ChequeredJersey
dummy_half
TJ1
gnollbeast
29 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad? Empty Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad?

Post by gnollbeast Mon 06 Feb 2012, 12:33 pm

Nothing is certain so these are predictions. With just over a year to go till Australia 2013, these are the players I believe can make the squad and only injury and a string of bad performances will prevent this from happening.

WELSHIES

George North - Only if he goes back to his planet Krypton will he not start. Injury is impossible (titanium alloy does not break on the rugby pitch)
Sam Warburton - Only competition is SOB at the moment
Jon Davies - The best by far at the moment, but who knows what could happen with Mcfadden, Tuilagi, Barritt etc...
Priestland - Him and Sexton a definite to tour, but who will join them?
Mike Phillips - Star in 2009 and getting better in my opinion (possibly his last chance on the ultimate stage, may make RWC)
Leigh Halfpenny - Monster boot and good finisher (Players who can play international rugby at 2 or more positions are now regarded highly useful)
Jamie Roberts - Man of the series in 2009 (only very bad form or injury will rule him out)
Adam Jones - If fit he goes
Toby Faletau - Biggest competition is Ferris, but I think both will tour. Ben Morgan may yet eclipse both of them and sneak in the test team.

Last edited by gnollbeast on Mon 06 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad? Empty Re: Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad?

Post by TJ1 Mon 06 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

Only Scots in consideration now would be Ford, Denton, Grey I guess.

laidlaw might come good and other good scots might make a showing.

TJ1

Back to top Go down

Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad? Empty Re: Lions - 1 year to go - Who from your nation will make the squad?

Post by gnollbeast Mon 06 Feb 2012, 12:35 pm

Denton was a monster on the weekend.

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by gnollbeast Mon 06 Feb 2012, 12:41 pm

Don't forget Tim Visser. Him and North on the wings, bloody eck!

gnollbeast

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 06 Feb 2012, 1:56 pm

From England:
Foden - Certain to tour, good chance to be the Test starter
Ashton - There's always a place for a finsher with that sort of pace.
Tuilagi - Certainly see him in the squad, and a good chance of being the starting 13 outside Roberts
Cole - A solid performer at tighthead and he's still developing

Other than those, there are a few possibles:
Flood - looks to me like he'll probably be the third choice 10 if everyone is fit and in form
Youngs - Needs to rediscover the form that saw his reputation sky-rocket in his first England season.
Lawes - 2nd row is looking like a potentially strong area. Will be a pick on form with maybe 6 good candidates for the 4 or 5 places.
Hartley - not everyone's cup of tea (including mine), but there's not much to choose between the 4 first choice hookers, and with 3 to go he's a good chance as he does most of the basics well.
Corbisiero - Was being criticised before Saturday's game as recently being poor in the scrum and offering little in the loose, but was arguably England's best player. For me, has done very well in the white jersey since coming in for Sheridan, and is slowly building a reputation as a good all-round loosehead. OK, Gethin is as good in the scrum and better in the loose, and Cian Healy will be there or thereabouts, but I'd put Corbs up for discussion at least.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:04 pm

Make up for a squad- approx 38 players- 18 backs, 20 forwards

6 back 3 players, 6 centres, 3 FHs, 3 SHs
7 back rowers, 5 props, 3 hookers, 5 locks

With these numbers in a squad, I'd say England would have Foden, Ashton, Corbs, Lawes, Hartley and maybe Cole for definite. Others possible. It's over a year away though, so anything could happen
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:14 pm

From Ireland:
Kearney - back to his Lions form
Sexton - with Priestland
Best - great leader and key for Ireland
Heaslip - been there and shone
Ferris - missed out to injury last time out
SOB - as a 6/8
O Connell - last Captain - will travel
Fitzgerald (injury permitting) - was getting back to his best.
Healy - growing stronger still so young for a prop
Earls - has a great skill set.

Still 18 months out from it yet. We will see additions/deletions. Injury and form will play their respective cards.

Last edited by Gibson on Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

Honestly if it were picked now I dont see who outside of Ireland and Wales would get in the test side.

For the squad ( assuming 3 per position get sent)
Flood
Hartley
Tuilagi (assuming mircale fitness treatment)
Ashton
Foden
Corbiserio
Cole
Youngs maybe
Lawes maybe
Barrit maybe
Croft maybe
Haskell maybe
Wood maybe

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Honestly if it were picked now I dont see who outside of Ireland and Wales would get in the test side.

Denton maybe?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

For England:
the front row all have a chance of going. Corbs has done very well since making his England debut and covers both sides, Hartley is there or thereabouts (no stand out hookers at the mo), and Cole is a solid performer.
second row: Lawes is the only realistic option right now, but someone like Attwood or even Garvey could stake a claim in the next year.
back row: Croft if he can re-discover hi 09 form, Robshaw and Wood also potential candidates though quite a way off right now.
Youngs and Flood both have a chance, they're not right up there in the pecking order now, but with three likely to be taken for these positions they're defo in with a shout.
centres: Tuilagi has impresses so far, with BOD possibly not making it there's room for him. Need to see more from Barritt and Farell before passing judgement.
back three: Foden and Ashton are both in line to go (possibly start), while Strettle could do enough over the next year to claim a squad place.

Basically with so little experience it's hard to tell, they could have 12+ players, they could have about 5 or 6.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:45 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:Honestly if it were picked now I dont see who outside of Ireland and Wales would get in the test side.

Denton maybe?

Bit premature. Heaslip and Faletau have proved themselves to be top class over a number of games. If Denton keeps that form up over the tournament then his name could come into contention.

I'd say Tuilagi, Foden and Ashton would have a good shot at the test side, and for guys like Lawes and Youngs it could go either way. There are bound to be a few bolters as well. Some of those listed may not even be starting for their country by then.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

Yeah looking ahead for England its guys like Barrit, Farrel, Morgan, Robshaw, and Wood who are likely to get significant time in the national side and have the potential to grow into Lions. They are some way off that right now though. I guess if Care gets forgiven he may have the opportunity to prove he should be ahead of Youngs again.
Corbiserio I guess is the one who 12 months ago was nowhere near but is increasingly looking like the long term answer for England and a potnetial to step up.
Thing is theres a strong chance we will have a new coach with new ideas and new players again come summer. Its going to be very hard for players to press a case with just one year.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Feb 2012, 2:54 pm

To be honest it is looking ever more likely that there will be no England representitive in the Lions starting line up. Only Foden is out right commanding a place in the team at the minute with possibly Youngs and Manu joining him if they can rediscover their best form/fitness. After the RWC and the first round of 6N you'd probably expect something like;

Healy, Best, A Jones
Grey, POC
Ferris, Warburton, Faletau
Phillips/Youngs (depending on tactics), Priestland
Roberts, BOD/Davies/Manu (13 is massively open)
North, Trimble
Foden

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:01 pm

wouldn't have Trimble, they are many better options out there. Trimble is solid but I think Lions wingers should offer more than just solidity. Also thought Ferris (stupid penalty aside) was anonymous yesterday, he wouldn't make my team right now.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

I'm not a big Ferris fan myself, he's a great option if you want to hit things hard but his running lines and hands aren't that great. Going down to Oz the Lions may want a blindside that will bully the Ozzie pack and I think Ferris will do that as currently the Ozzies are relient on Horwell, Moore and Elsom to crash the ball round the fringes to make room for their more expansive players. With that pack the likes of Grey, Warburton, Faletau and Best can easily slot into the backs and rough up the Golden midfield whilst POC, Ferris and the props take down the limited opposition carrying ability in the tight. Lydiate or Robshaw could come in and do a similar job to Ferris (though they aren't as big hitters) or Warburton could step in and a more expansive 6 like Croft could come in and add some more pace to the pack.

I like Trimble as a winger, he's pacey and hard working with a decent skill set and makes his tackles which against the likes of O'Connor and Beale will be important. He's in good form as well at the minute which can't be said for the likes of Bowe or Ashton.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

thought Ashton had a good game on Saturday. Did well when he had the ball - not counting that time where he somehow found himself at first receiver on a defensive scrum - and defended much better than I've seen from him before. Better player than Trimble IMO. Take your point on Ferris, but yeah I'd start Lydiate and possibly Robshaw ahead of him at the mo.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

I didn't think Ashton played too poorly either, apart from that stupid penalty he gave away. He didn't see much of the ball at all, but I thought he looked incredibly tenacious and aggressive in defence and was actually quite impressed at what he did off the ball. Ditto with Strettle, although less solid in the tackle.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:26 pm

I think most of the Welsh starting Xv and a few bench players will go. I doubt that our current locks or hooker are good enough and Ryan Jones would need to keep some fine form to make it.

But the rest of the team should go and many of those will be in the starting line up.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:32 pm

Hopefully no one. Run

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Feb 2012, 3:39 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I think most of the Welsh starting Xv and a few bench players will go. I doubt that our current locks or hooker are good enough and Ryan Jones would need to keep some fine form to make it.

But the rest of the team should go and many of those will be in the starting line up.

Agree, although the lad Cuthbert isnt there at the moment he has the potential to rpove hes also George North over the next year.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by irnbrew Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:01 pm

Well while we,er throwing names in Lydiate,The coach,s these days seem to put great store in combinations .Dare i say that yesterday Warby and Toby looked ordinary with out Lydiate.I thought that Ryan played well and is on form but he does not play the way Lydiate does that enables Warby and Toby do what they do best.Warby has gone on record in the past to say he finds the game twice as hard if Lydiate is not playing .Then again a year is a long time in rugby terms and a lot can change in that time

irnbrew

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:03 pm

flood , ashton, tuiligai, fooden

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

mystiroakey wrote: fooden

Any relation to Andy Foode?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:11 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:I think most of the Welsh starting Xv and a few bench players will go. I doubt that our current locks or hooker are good enough and Ryan Jones would need to keep some fine form to make it.

Agree, although the lad Cuthbert isnt there at the moment he has the potential to rpove hes also George North over the next year.

No you are right I forgot cuthbert. He is not up there with halfpenny, Bowe, Trimble or North from yesterday.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:15 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:I didn't think Ashton played too poorly either, apart from that stupid penalty he gave away. He didn't see much of the ball at all, but I thought he looked incredibly tenacious and aggressive in defence and was actually quite impressed at what he did off the ball. Ditto with Strettle, although less solid in the tackle.

Not sure I would say that Ashton is in anywhere near as good form as he was last year.

Foden looks in great shape alround but Ashton is there on rep not form. He hasn't set the game a light for saints let alone England for quite some time. Strettle is not the player he was in his younger days. I think injuries have taken the best of him.

Roden is the best full back option at the moment with Rob Kearney a very close second.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler wrote:
mystiroakey wrote: fooden

Any relation to Andy Foode?

fooooooden

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:20 pm

Not too sure why people are so confident of Ashton even going, with the likes of North, Bowe, 1/2p, Visser, and possibly Fitzgerald, Earls, Evans I'd say he'd be in the bottom end of that list. Foden may be a decent shout but Kearney is way ahead at the moment.

Best will be too old and don't think POC will last either, Davies, Lawes, Gray, and Charteris will lead the way surely.

Cole and Healy are definately heading in the right direction, and Ford and Rees lead the way for hooker, Hartley may sneak into the squad but get near a test I doubt it!

I think where the lions are going to be strong is the number of options they can feild, with the likes of Phillips/Murray/Youngs/Cusiter, Lawes/ Davies/Charteris etc... A monster backline of 6'4 giants...

Phillips
Sexton
Roberts
North
Bowe
Visser

Or sublime agile ball runners...

Youngs
Preistland
JD2
Tuilagi
1/2p
Kearney
Foden

Either of those backlines would scare the pants off me, and Australia!

And thats not including the BR options of the Irish boys, with Warbs, Falatau, Denton maybe, Barcley, Morgan, Croft.

Or the sheer power in the front row...

Jones
Rees
Cole

would be some power come scrum time...

Healy
Hartley
Jenkins

Would be immense around the park.

I'm excited...

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:25 pm

there are a few certainties in life , thats death, taxes and north and ashton going with the lions.

ashton will be there- id put bundles on it

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:38 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:I'm not a big Ferris fan myself, he's a great option if you want to hit things hard but his running lines and hands aren't that great. Going down to Oz the Lions may want a blindside that will bully the Ozzie pack and I think Ferris will do that as currently the Ozzies are relient on Horwell, Moore and Elsom to crash the ball round the fringes to make room for their more expansive players. With that pack the likes of Grey, Warburton, Faletau and Best can easily slot into the backs and rough up the Golden midfield whilst POC, Ferris and the props take down the limited opposition carrying ability in the tight. Lydiate or Robshaw could come in and do a similar job to Ferris (though they aren't as big hitters) or Warburton could step in and a more expansive 6 like Croft could come in and add some more pace to the pack.

I think this is a load of rubbish, and his huge barrelling runs and the lines he picks are one of his greatest strengths, though if you are going by the match yesterday then I would have to say you make a fair point. Otherwise, his running lines for Ulster are absolutely incredible.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm

Not too sure why people are so confident of Ashton even going, with the likes of North, Bowe, 1/2p, Visser, and possibly Fitzgerald, Earls, Evans I'd say he'd be in the bottom end of that list

I dunno, judging by Bowe's inability to tackle properly I'd probably have Ashton over him at the minute and despite the Flying Dutchmans skills ball in hand his hands are actually pretty poor. Fitz and Earls could do with settling on a position as at the minute seem to wander around and their positioning tends to wander as well. Evans is a bit average and probably wouldn't be selected by any of the other home nations. North is out in front by a mile at the moment but who partners him is a big question mark at the minute. With none of the above or Ashton or in fact anyone else really in any sparkling form, though as I said Trimble seems to be coming good.

Dare i say that yesterday Warby and Toby looked ordinary with out Lydiate

There's always room for the work horse in the backrow, generally the unglamourous job but you miss them when they aren't there. Any one else think Ireland missed Wallace yesterday?

his running lines for Ulster are absolutely incredible

His strength and pace are incredible. Generally he picks out a weak link and runs at it or runs sideways until he spots a likely target and then runs at them. There's no clever side steps or any carefully angled runs it is good old fashioned brute force and it works well enough.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:48 pm

[quote="formerly known as Sam"]
te]Dare i say that yesterday Warby and Toby looked ordinary with out Lydiate

Hooooo bl**dy raaayyyyy.

Lydiate has been outstanding but the other two get the plaudits. That said Ryan Jones most probably had his best game for years in a Welsh shirt yesterday.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:49 pm

Not many people are giving North a chance to go, and this is going to be a long hard topic on here, and the title of the post will be, Who is better or who should start for the Lions Ashton or North ? I can see the thread going into its thousands of reply's with arguments for each player, the post will go down in history as one of the most engrosing debates ever. Wink

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 06 Feb 2012, 4:50 pm

"His strength and pace are incredible. Generally he picks out a weak link and runs at it or runs sideways until he spots a likely target and then runs at them. There's no clever side steps or any carefully angled runs it is good old fashioned brute force and it works well enough."

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guWy9p0Whuw

I could find you plenty more if you wish.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:01 pm

Who goes on the Lions tour from what country will in my opinion, depend on who the coach of the Lions will be.

If you are going on this week ends games.

From Ireland Definates Kerney, Trmble, Bowe, Best, Sexton, Connar Murry.

Possibles Oconel, Ocalahan.

From England, Definates Foden, Ashton, Barrit(though would like to see more of him) Farrel and same as Barrit would like to see more of him.

Possibles Ben Youngs (would need to improve from this week ends game)

Wales, Definates Lee Halfpenny, JDavies, George North,

Possibles, Mike Phillips( Will he be allowed with playing abroad)

From Scotland, Defiantes Denton, Grey, Vissar, Both Lamonts.

That is it for now. But like i said it will all depend on the coach.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:02 pm

LordDowlais wrote:Not many people are giving North a chance to go, and this is going to be a long hard topic on here, and the title of the post will be, Who is better or who should start for the Lions Ashton or North ? I can see the thread going into its thousands of reply's with arguments for each player, the post will go down in history as one of the most engrosing debates ever. Wink

Where on earth did that come from? Has anyone said he wont?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

Lord
We were asked to nominate who from OUR country is likely to go - I think every Welsh poster included North, and I think the rest of us consider him a vitrtual certainty to be in the squad and probably the Test side.

At the moment, if we were picking a side based on recent form, I think the Lions Test backline would be:
15 - between Kearney and Foden (depending on tactics - Foden a better counter attacker, Kearney better kick chaser)
14 - Ashton or 1/2p (again, tactics play a part - 1/2p is a better kicker, Ashton a better finisher and support runner)
13 - JD2 or Manu T (can be picked purely on form - I'm assuming BOD is done now)
12 - Roberts
11 - North
10 - Priestland
9 - Not sure, Murray perhaps?

I don't think too many of us (and I write this being English) would be too unhappy to see North and Roberts lining up for the Lions Test side

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:09 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Who goes on the Lions tour from what country will in my opinion, depend on who the coach of the Lions will be.

From England, Definates Foden, Ashton, Barrit(though would like to see more of him) Farrel and same as Barrit would like to see more of him.

bit short on forwards?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:19 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:Best will be too old...
... and Ford and Rees lead the way for hooker

Best is two years younger than Rees!

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:23 pm

Yeah but he looks about 40

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:27 pm

Mad for Chelsea wrote:
majesticimperialman wrote:Who goes on the Lions tour from what country will in my opinion, depend on who the coach of the Lions will be.

bit short on forwards?

"Possible O'Connell and O'Callaghan"

That statement shows how much madge knows about rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:30 pm

Possibles, Mike Phillips( Will he be allowed with playing abroad

Why won't he be allowed Alfie was when at Toulouse, its a sanctioned IRB tour so clubs have to release selected players.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by welsh-matfield Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:41 pm

welsh contingent
Adam Jones
Gethin Jenkins
Luke Charteris
Alun Wyn Jones
Sam Warburton
Toby Faletau
Mike Phillips
Rhys Priestland
Jamie Roberts
Jonathan Davies
George North
Leigh Halfpenny

Outside bets.
Huw Bennett
Mathew Rees
James Hook
Dan Lydiate
Lee Byrne
Ryan Jones
Ill also be intrested to see how Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, and Ashley Beck progress

welsh-matfield

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Mad for Chelsea wrote:

bit short on forwards?

"Possible O'Connell and O'Callaghan"

That statement shows how much madge knows about rugby.

I put O'Connel and O'Calahan as possibles because they both seem to be losing That Drive, Push, like they used to have. Maybe it is becaue they have lost to Wales 3 times in a row now. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by gowales Mon 06 Feb 2012, 5:59 pm

O'Callaghan won't even be considered for the 2013 lions tour hes way past it now, shouldn't even be starting for Ireland.
O'Connell will be picked if hes fit. I can see him playing well into his mid 30s

gowales

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 6:10 pm

gowales wrote:O'Callaghan won't even be considered for the 2013 lions tour hes way past it now, shouldn't even be starting for Ireland.
O'Connell will be picked if hes fit. I can see him playing well into his mid 30s

If O'Connell keeps playing for two more seasons as he is now he will be captain. Great player in top form for province and Country

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 06 Feb 2012, 6:19 pm

thebluesmancometh wrote:
Best will be too old and don't think POC will last either, Davies, Lawes, Gray, and Charteris will lead the way surely.

Best will be 30 and POC 33 no reason why they shouldnt be there. Both will be up for captaincy as well although I think Warburton will get that

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 7:36 pm

Have to disagree with POC, he is just falling away physically, and thats over 12 months from the tour, the likes of Charteris (top tackler at WC) Lawes (monster) Davies (Athlete) and Gray are far better options at the moment, in 12 months they will all have kicked on too.

Best isn't that old I know but the number is just an indication, physiologically speaking he is on the down turn, Ford and Hartley are certainly better options right now, Rees, Bennet as good options as best too.

Majestic

I'm not quite sure what your looking at to not be naming the likes of Warbs or Adam Jones, highly regarded as top 3 in the world in their positions!!!

Barrit and Farrell definates??? Not if Roberts, JD2, Hook, Mcfadden, Evans, Ansboro, Tuilagi have anything to do with it, all of which I regard higher at present!

I can understand the Foden argument, he'd be in my squad all day, but Ashton has offered nothing for club or country at all this season, he reminds me of Andy Powell, had the season of his life, then was easily worked out and is now living off last years glory.

I have to keep disagreeing with you with Lamonts, and Denton... he's had 1 good game, lets see how he fares against stronger opposition next week.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Mon 06 Feb 2012, 8:21 pm

thebluesmancometh

You did notice that i said, that is it for now.

I did not include the likes of Warbutton, Adam Jones, simply because i was basing my choices on this weeks games only, plus i had not reealy looked at any forwards yet.

And with the Tualagi argument, well he as not played for a while, that is why i did not iclude him.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Mon 06 Feb 2012, 8:32 pm

Wasn't he left out by Lancaster to teach him a bit of a lesson, like Armitage? or is he still injured?

I couldn't contemplate either of the English centres yet, they do very little for Sarecens, the pack tend to do the good work, and they have had 1 decent game against possibly the worst backline in the tournament.

What are you honest opinions of Ashton also, for me he's probably 5/6th choice in the isles right now, last year I wouldve had him and Bowe in the test side hands down, but he seems to have been worked out.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 06 Feb 2012, 8:34 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:thebluesmancometh

You did notice that i said, that is it for now.

I did not include the likes of Warbutton, Adam Jones, simply because i was basing my choices on this weeks games only, plus i had not reealy looked at any forwards yet.

And with the Tualagi argument, well he as not played for a while, that is why i did not iclude him.
Ashton hasnt scored a try in ages but you rated him?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next