The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Every Brit Knows How

+19
disneychilly
bathmad
funnyExiledScot
G2
doctor_grey
blackcanelion
emack2
Great White
Luckless Pedestrian
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
aucklandlaurie
kingjohn7
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
jbeadlesbigrighthand
LondonTiger
rodders
RubyGuby
Dr Kenneth Noisewater
TheGreyGhost
23 posters

Go down

Every Brit Knows How Empty Every Brit Knows How

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:16 pm

...to beat the All Blacks, apparently.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5565908/Barnes-McCaw-is-All-Blacks-Achilles-heel

So it's Stu Barnes this time taking the opportunity to show how out of touch he is with NZ rugby in a typical statement of cliche and naivety. His shallow analysis of the Port Elizabeth game is as completely 1 dimensional as it is rambling and self contradictory. Goes to show what being forced to talk constantly for 80 minutes during the endlessly stop-start NH club game commentary does to you. His mind seems to have become completely disconnected from his brain. Breaking News: All Black captain and first five important to All Blacks. Well blow me down with a feather. I'm surprised he didn't pop in with an allegation of cheating or a mention of "South Sea" poaching while he was at it.

But Barnes is just the latest of a plethora of British coaches, ex-players, current players, journalists and sons of journalists who all seem to have the beating of the All Blacks. Strange then that it happens so rarely.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Every Brit Knows How Empty Re: Every Brit Knows How

Post by Dr Kenneth Noisewater Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:26 pm

English people pay him no heed, he's still bitter that Squeaky Andrew was favoured for England.

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:29 pm

GG Like the good Dr said, no one here is interested in his ramblings - If you want good balanced analysis then just mail me thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Barnes has obviously got you rattled GG.

To be honest the AB's are looking vulnerable. I think if other sides can dominate the scrum, line out and break down and shut down Carter, Muliana, Smith and Nonu and Carter has an off day with the boot then the AB's can be beaten. You heard it here 1st.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:35 pm

At no point does Barnes suggest that NH teams can nullify McCaw and Carter. He merely points out that IF you can you have a much better chance of winning.

This is obvious to anyone with even half a brain.

It is however like saying you have a better chance of winning the 4x100m relay if you shoot Usain Bolt in the foot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:38 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:...to beat the All Blacks, apparently.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/5565908/Barnes-McCaw-is-All-Blacks-Achilles-heel

So it's Stu Barnes this time taking the opportunity to show how out of touch he is with NZ rugby in a typical statement of cliche and naivety. His shallow analysis of the Port Elizabeth game is as completely 1 dimensional as it is rambling and self contradictory. Goes to show what being forced to talk constantly for 80 minutes during the endlessly stop-start NH club game commentary does to you. His mind seems to have become completely disconnected from his brain. Breaking News: All Black captain and first five important to All Blacks. Well blow me down with a feather. I'm surprised he didn't pop in with an allegation of cheating or a mention of "South Sea" poaching while he was at it.

But Barnes is just the latest of a plethora of British coaches, ex-players, current players, journalists and sons of journalists who all seem to have the beating of the All Blacks. Strange then that it happens so rarely.

Certainly, the snippet of Barnes' analysis included in the article you cite is fairly shallow. However, if you read the original article in the Times, he goes into more depth. Regardless, he's a pundit, and is paid to have opinions. What else should he say? "I don't have any clue how anyone can beat the All-Blacks. Let's just give in now." It wouldn't make for much of an article.

You're right that it does seem that many people are offering their thoughts on how to beat the All-Blacks. That might have something to do with their being the best team in the world. And you're also right that those victories don't happen too often. Again, that might have something to do with their being the best team in the world.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:39 pm

"if other sides can dominate the scrum, line out and break down and shut down Carter, Muliana, Smith and Nonu and Carter has an off day with the boot then the AB's can be beaten."

Yeah of course, and if you had the right equipment Rodders I bet we could stop a Tsunami as well thumbsup

The Blacks IMO are more dangerous now than they were 1 month ago, if they see that people perceive a weakness there then it will only serve to galvanise them more IMO.

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:44 pm

It's easy if you know how Ruby Wink.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:48 pm

Reminds me of the infallible three step process to becoming rich and famous.

1 - learn everything you need to know about making lots of money
2 - make lots of money
3 - tell everyone about it

Simple. It's wonder there are so few rich and famous people.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:57 pm

TheGreyGhost wrote:Reminds me of the infallible three step process to becoming rich and famous.

1 - learn everything you need to know about making lots of money
2 - make lots of money
3 - tell everyone about it

Simple. It's wonder there are so few rich and famous people.

I thought it was

1 - come up with an impressive-sounding, complicated system that soulnds like it could make money
2 - tell everyone you've done it
3 - persuade people to pay you to hear how it's done

Wink
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:57 pm

RubyGuby wrote:"if other sides can dominate the scrum, line out and break down and shut down Carter, Muliana, Smith and Nonu and Carter has an off day with the boot then the AB's can be beaten."

Yeah of course, and if you had the right equipment Rodders I bet we could stop a Tsunami as well thumbsup

The Blacks IMO are more dangerous now than they were 1 month ago, if they see that people perceive a weakness there then it will only serve to galvanise them more IMO.

Agree completely. Although im usually wrong predicting things.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:57 pm

Hes entitled to his opinion.it will be interesting to see him when he comes on New Zealand SKY as the UK rugby expert,then we can judge him.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:13 pm

Yeah he completly ignored the key rason why they lost, the refereeing right GG?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:14 pm

roddersm wrote:To be honest the AB's are looking vulnerable. I think if other sides can dominate the scrum, line out and break down and shut down Carter, Muliana, Smith and Nonu and Carter has an off day with the boot then the AB's can be beaten. You heard it here 1st.

Nothing to it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm only yanking your chains guys, I know it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than to beat the all blacks. Wink
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:23 pm

The truth is that the All Blacks are beatable, but the problem is that it's usually not enough for their opponents to have a brilliant game - you also need the All Blacks to have a (relatively) poor game.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:24 pm

And more recently a local TMO.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:43 pm

Garbage. The AB were undercooked, underestimated their opposition and were given a lesson in rugby, especially by the Wallabies who ran rings round them. The AB have never looked more beatable IMO.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:50 pm

I love it that whenever NZ narrowly lose, some England fan pops up to tell us how we "were given a lesson in rugby". The schadenfreude possitively drips from you keyboard.

I suspect it's the anxiety caused by watching England get given lessons in rugby by NZ for a decade.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:22 pm

Before people get to aerated and take cheap shots look at what the article says.Point one that McCaw[and Carter] are key players for the All Blacks
TRUE,but hardly original comment.The same could be said of Matfield and Morne Steyn.or Pocock and Genia for there sides.
Point two Heinrich Broussow was on the winning side on his last 4 tests versus the All Blacks.TRUE
Point three that Broussow outplayed McCaw on all 4 occassions UNTRUE
In 2009 in the first two 3Ns matches,against McCaw ,returning from injury not match fit.He was outplayed by Broussow,by the third 3Ns game match fit.Despite the AB`s narrowly losing Broussow was the invisible man,McCaw completely out played. him
In the recent Boks win.Broussow certainly outplayed him,it was if he was`nt even in the country.ADAM THOMSON was at 7 that day McCaw home in NZ.Nothing like truth getting in the way of a good story.
Point 4 Pocock out played McCaw in Brisbane TRUE.But maybe losing his first choice back row collegues after about 20 minutes.
Did`nt help where was Pocock at Eden Park,all players have off days even the best.
When you`ve missed half a season,and then short of game time as you get older.You don`t just drop straight back in the groove.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:23 pm

Great White wrote:Garbage. The AB were undercooked, underestimated their opposition and were given a lesson in rugby, especially by the Wallabies who ran rings round them. The AB have never looked more beatable IMO.

Yep, the ease with which the All Blacks got it back to 20 all in Brisbane made me think they're ripe for the picking...

Last edited by luckless_pedestrian on Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:49 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsOuBdkSL8U

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:21 pm

blackcanelion,
That was truly educational. The ability to etch one's name in concrete makes McCaw one of the greatest men who ever lived! I think I am falling in love..........

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:25 pm

We could all see where this little debate was going. The old ones are always worth another look.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Great White Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 pm

blackcanelion wrote:We could all see where this little debate was going. The old ones are always worth another look.

Just ask GreyGobbler, he practically invented regurgitating tired, hackneyed, untrue comments as well as redefining libel.

Great White

Back to top Go down

Post by G2 Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:45 pm

I knew it was a mistake, I’d thought I read the article anyway, even after reading the above comments, even though I know Barnes champions the school of the bleedin’ obvious.

Will I ever learn?

G2

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:16 am

TheGreyGhost wrote:And more recently a local TMO.

Just out of curiosity, when do you think was the last time NZ lost a match simply by being outplayed by the opponents?

The tri-nations loss to Australia was down to the TMO's bad call. Clearly the earlier loss to SA was because NZ fielded a weakened side. How far back do we have to go to see a loss where NZ weren't robbed?

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:21 am

I didn't say NZ deserved to win those games, or would have had the TMO made correct calls. All I'm saying is that they were poor decisions, and I hope the RWC isn't marred by something similar.

NZ were roundly thumped by the Springboks in 2009. Three in a row that SA deserved to win, and did.

NZ were beaten by Australia last year in Hong Kong and deserved to lose, mostly because the coaches were persisting with the foolhardy notion that Stephen Donald would one day put in a good performance.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:32 am

I'd ignore Barnes. He was partly responsible for putting together the Sunday Times World Cup preview. A remarkably shallow and ill-informed document.

France's second choice hooker was listed as their "star player", and Murray Low and Ali Dickinson were listed as Scotland first choice props. Low is 3rd choice and Dickinson a distant second.

I couldn't help but feel the magazine was a joint effort from Inverdale and Doyle, it was that bad.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:54 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd ignore Barnes. He was partly responsible for putting together the Sunday Times World Cup preview. A remarkably shallow and ill-informed document.

France's second choice hooker was listed as their "star player", and Murray Low and Ali Dickinson were listed as Scotland first choice props. Low is 3rd choice and Dickinson a distant second.

I couldn't help but feel the magazine was a joint effort from Inverdale and Doyle, it was that bad.

It was a waste of £2.20, wasn't it? And I found out yesterday that the Times will have a World Cup preview magazine during the week which'll probably be much better.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:31 am

A refreshing perspective, unlike this fellow who apparently agrees with everything Barnes says despite not having seen the games in question:

https://www.606v2.com/t13053-well-done-canterbury#440303

🤦 I despair. I really do.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by bathmad Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 am

Tool. Read my comments properly.

bathmad

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:33 am

Now now, attack the post, not the poster.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by disneychilly Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:34 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I'd ignore Barnes. He was partly responsible for putting together the Sunday Times World Cup preview. A remarkably shallow and ill-informed document.

It was a waste of £2.20, wasn't it? And I found out yesterday that the Times will have a World Cup preview magazine during the week which'll probably be much better.

Times? Means it's put together by Stephen Jones. Pass.

disneychilly

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Great White wrote:Garbage. The AB were undercooked, underestimated their opposition and were given a lesson in rugby, especially by the Wallabies who ran rings round them. The AB have never looked more beatable IMO.

I think we looked a lot worse in 2009 during the 3 nations
Course we kicked on during the AIs
So probably not that beatable unless you are Aus or SA
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:40 pm

TheGreyGhost.

Rather than have a pop at Stuart Barnes for his comments, seing that you are an out and olut Abs supporter.....Maybe you would be better off advising the Abs how to (WIN) a Rugby World Cup, for the first time in 24 years. thumbsup

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Majestic
you gotta forgive us Kiwis as we dont really know much about Stuart Barnes, as he is the guest UK rugby expert with the Sky New Zealand panel,we should work him out pretty quickly.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by sad_gimp Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:31 pm

Whaddya know, in the week running up to the Rugby World Cup, pundits are writing opinion pieces on the Rugby World Cup. Quelle surprise.

What is GG's obsession with Brits anyway? Now we are as good as in a WC I don't think any New Zealander is in a position to mock English rugby. Let your team do the talking for a change and spare us this drivel.

sad_gimp

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:02 pm

GG must just sit in front of his computer all day and must constantly search google for 'British newspapers talk about All Blacks'. He then spends his days reading these comments and posting on this board specific comments that criticised his previous luvvies and goes off on various rants.

So my questions are (a) if GG lives in the UK, does he claim benefit money as there is no way trolling here all day can give him an income (b) Why don't you get a job... or a life?

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 pm

Touched a nerve there, then.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

mid_gen wrote:Whaddya know, in the week running up to the Rugby World Cup, pundits are writing opinion pieces on the Rugby World Cup. Quelle surprise.

What is GG's obsession with Brits anyway? Now we are as good as in a WC I don't think any New Zealander is in a position to mock English rugby. Let your team do the talking for a change and spare us this drivel.

Does that mean outside of a WC it is okay for a NZer to mock English rugby?
And are you suggesting the ABs don't do their talking on the field?
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Thunder Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Touched a nerve there, then.

Far from it. Just wondering if posting on this message board and talking crap is the be all and end all of your life.

Mr Thunder

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:36 pm

I cant speak for GG but thats my excuse, whats yours?

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down