The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish team announcement - discussion thread.

+22
debaters1
mrsuperclear
Boyne
Standulstermen
red_stag
Notch
Kingshu
valjester
Sin é
formerly known as Sam
D24tress
marty2086
dublin_dave
rodders
WillyGilly
Thomond
GunsGerms
Mickado
Biltong
Pal Joey
doctornickolas
Glas a du
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Irish team announcement - discussion thread. - Page 3 Empty Irish team announcement - discussion thread.

Post by Glas a du Thu 08 Sep 2011, 10:49 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland team to face USA in Rugby World Cup Pool C on Sunday, 11 September at 7am (Irish time)

15 Geordan Murphy, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Brian O'Driscoll, 12 Gordon D'Arcy, 11 Keith Earls, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Shane Jennings, 6 Stephen Ferris, 5 Paul O'Connell, 4 Donncha O'Callaghan, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Tom Court

Replacements: 16 Jerry Flannery, 17 Tony Buckley, 18 Donnacha Ryan, 19 Denis Leamy, 20 Eoin Reddan, 21 Ronan O'Gara, 22 Andrew Trimble

Source: RTE.

(Yahoo I always wanted to do that)
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Irish team announcement - discussion thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Irish team announcement - discussion thread.

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Sep 2011, 10:55 am

Boyne wrote:Keeping both guys happy mi arsh.

He should be more concerned with winning matches.

We will see ROG sometime at the weekend and most probably during the Oz game (especially if we are chasing the game) but Sexton will start.

I agree Shocked with you Boyne. Kidney never in his life tried to keep two players happy. He always does what he thinks is best for the team. That might mean nursing someone back to form though and dropping someone else to do that.

I really don't see what the big deal is with Sexton & Reddan. Most international halfbacks rarely play together. In fact, Sexton's first international start was with Reddan against fiji and his second start was with O'Leary against South Africa and he would never have played together before that except for about 20 minutes at the end of the Fiji game the week before.

If Sexton & Reddan don't know each other's game at this stage, we can forget it.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Irish team announcement - discussion thread. - Page 3 Empty Re: Irish team announcement - discussion thread.

Post by rodders Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

Sin é wrote:If Sexton & Reddan don't know each other's game at this stage, we can forget it.

They do know each others games. That is not the issue, the issue is they don't get picked together for Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

Rodders I have to say I think your reading way too much into the warm ups. I'd happily bet you that fiver that Sexton will start.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:06 am

those photos were hilarious. slimy head on rog.almost looked photoshopped.

rodders - steven ferris did a bungeejump. so much for wrapping him in cotton woll eh??

imagine steady eddie or gatland had a win ratio like Kidneys. There would be absolute uproar.

anyway where better to put things right than the world cup

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:11 am

Whilst i do think that Deccie has played this nicely i cant agree with you Sin that Reddan and Sexton not playing together will be not be an issue should they start against Oz. I could be wrong but i think the only time they started together during the 6N was the England game?

I firmly believe that we should have played at least 1 warm up (or indeed this game) with them together with the centres . That being said it is all opinion and like i say Deccie may have played a blinder. We wont know but i can sense this being an issue should things go pear shaped in the next game

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

red_stag wrote:Rodders I have to say I think your reading way too much into the warm ups. I'd happily bet you that fiver that Sexton will start.

It's not just the warm ups. There has been a pattern over Kidneys whole time as Ireland coach to rotate certain players.

I guarantee, regardless of the score line, he will change his halfbacks on 62 minutes.

Dublin_Dave yeah the photos were hilarious, hopefully the boys will all be smiling like that after the game. ROG looks about 12 in the photos!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:14 am

104 - not bad on an uncontroversial selection Mickado!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:16 am

I would have made that a banker also next week. Reddan & Sexton to start vs Oz. But Deccie has gone mad recently (in a good way imo) and is giving all sorts of combos and youth a lash at the last minute. Something I feel he should have done earlier.

Howandsoever, we are where we are now (Eddie) , and I really am excited by Murray with Sexton on Sunday. What if they are the key to unleashing this backline? If Murray shows he really has it at this level and Sexton and he - click like a dream... Reddan will be on the bench v Oz Id bet.

Deccie and BOD said some interesting things about the lad, on his surprise start... He's had a great season and he must be ripping it up in training. He oozes calmness and has the full skillset. So let him loose. If he does the business - let him start v Oz. Reddan on the bench as insurance/cover. Also, Oz know feic all about him.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=36/news/newsid=2049231.html

Sexton will never start at 12. But, what we saw with him & ROG on the pitch v France, was enlightening. Its a nice option, should be we be up v Oz with 15 mins to go. No one better to close a game out like ROG. And no one better to taunt them than Sexton.

This is a 22 man game now. The Eddie days are long gone TF. And the only way we will beat Oz, is to use all of em, in the right tactical manner, and at the right time in the game. Meanwhile, lets give the Yanks a damn good thrashing and get our mojo back first. That is so vital. A win alone will not do. It must be a rugby lesson.
Believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImXnGGdYQ4

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

Gibbo, I reckon we will see the ROG-Sexton, 10-12 axis again at some stage if only briefly.
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

No doubt if Ireland lose against Australia not having started Sexton & Reddan together will be the excuse.

I thought O'Gara and Reddan coped admirably the the French game in Bordeau despite it being their first start of the season and not having played together for 6 months and a midfield that neither half backs were fully familiar with. Reddan even had to cope with Leamy as the No. 8.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 09 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

On arriving late to this lads,

Happy with the entire pack. Smile

Happy with the halfbacks

-think Murray is getting his first start in the best possible circumstances.
-think Sexton and Murray are first choice (Great Leinster partnership and were there for GS game vs England I think he wanted to make sure that players who don't normally play together Ie: ROG and Reddan, could.
-think Murray is going to be on the bench next week

Think Darcy is in need of a huge game or else he may lose his place for good
Bod also needs a big one but nowhere near as badly

Agree with earls being on the wing wth Bowe think both need game time and confidence but do believe Trimble is being rested, (DK said that no player would get over 2.5-3 games in warm up and what did Trimble get?) also I think Trimble is our best winger at present.

Murphy is a shoo in for this game considering Kearney isn't 100%

Really liking the way we have a versatile number 18 now OK

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:04 pm

Pete I don't follow. Sexton and Murray are 1st choice but Murray on bench next week?
red_stag
red_stag

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:16 pm

apologies meant Sexton and Reddan are first choice

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Fri 09 Sep 2011, 12:30 pm

Ye, I tned to agree that the ROG-Sexton axis is going to be seen again and more often the deeper we go in this tournament.

And if we make the final, it will start. Believe!

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 09 Sep 2011, 1:29 pm

Andrew Trimble not starting. The ladies of Ulster will be up in arms!!!

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

And his Dad, David. Whatever happened to him?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 09 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

suprised reddan is on the bench to be honest.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Fri 09 Sep 2011, 4:51 pm

Glas a du wrote:And his Dad, David. Whatever happened to him?

Went to the Lords and grew a beard. Think he shaved it off.

Oh, somewhere in this favoured land the sun is shining bright,
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
And somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
But there is no joy in Ballymena — mighty Trimble is left out!

(With apologies to Casey!)

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3