The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Problems with the new Word cup ball?

+8
alcoombe
Biltong
emack2
fa0019
welshy824
Coleman
wales606
RDW
12 posters

Go down

Problems with the new Word cup ball? Empty Problems with the new Word cup ball?

Post by RDW Sat 10 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

Have to say the standard of kicking so far in the world cup has been awful, with world class kickers suck as Carter, Wilkinson and Patterson missing numerous kicks that they would normally get.

Reckon the new ball is causing this? Will be interesting to hear some of the kickers comments on it.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Problems with the new Word cup ball? Empty Re: Problems with the new Word cup ball?

Post by wales606 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:25 am

There has been a lot of misses,

Is it the climate? Lots of wind? (though Carter should be used to it, although he does sometimes have off days)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Problems with the new Word cup ball? Empty Re: Problems with the new Word cup ball?

Post by Coleman Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:27 am

The Namibians and Fijians didnt have a problem with it. Neither did the French of Japs. The England v Argie game though. Never seen anything like it. Was dreadful. Something to do with air pressure pockets in the indoor stadium maybe?

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:30 am

i feel sorry for the argentine kickers, they were hard kicks but if they had got them they would have got the win they deserved.

is the ball designed to discourage kicking and play a more adventurous after all this is new zealand?

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:34 am

Jonny was talking about the stadium being particularly difficult to kick in due to the roof & the air in the enclosed stadium earlier in the week. That the lack of wind etc was something most players were not used to.

Also given that most of Jonny's attempts were all at the edge of his range in the corners he would have normally missed half of those anyhow.

The ball is the same ball used used in test rugby so I don't think there is any issues there.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Carter,one miss and a poster plus 4 goals not so dusty,all the goal kickers are missing.Weather conditions in places like Invercargill and Wellington can be tricky.
Maybe teams should`nt just rely on winning penalties and kicking goals,the classic RWC formula.
What has been so far a lot of teams getting wake up calls,minnows not just here to make up the numbers.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:37 am

Can see a conspiracy theory coming up, poor kicking negates teams who score three points, so tries will be the decider. Whistle
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by alcoombe Sat 10 Sep 2011, 11:59 am

welshy824 wrote:i feel sorry for the argentine kickers, they were hard kicks but if they had got them they would have got the win they deserved.

If both sides had made their kicks it wouldn't have altered the result, Argentina missed 6 penalties, England 5.

I think the kicking problems in the Arg v Eng match were more likely stadium or player related.

alcoombe

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:02 pm

i thought argentina lost more?
but surely the stadium would only be like playing in the MS, and i unfortunately remember wilkinson getting a fair few kicks other there

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by emack2 Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:11 pm

Have no fear Biltong,Suzy is on stand by and NZ is doing the catering.Revenge is a dish best served cold Listeria pies already for the Boks!![relax moderators not wumming just an idle jest]

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

emack2 wrote:Have no fear Biltong,Suzy is on stand by and NZ is doing the catering.Revenge is a dish best served cold Listeria pies already for the Boks!![relax moderators not wumming just an idle jest]
That's funny, I could have used her (no sexual inuendo there) a few times in the past.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

We live in Africa alan, food poisoning isn't the answer. Ous stmachs are lined with scorpion poison.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Way ahead of u emack, Boks travelled with enough biltong pap and boerewors to last 10 weeks Smile
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 10 Sep 2011, 12:44 pm

Nerves thats all it is.... You can blame one miss for air pressure or whatever else you want but on your next attempt you compensate for that.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Sat 10 Sep 2011, 1:27 pm

Cymroglan wrote:Nerves thats all it is.... You can blame one miss for air pressure or whatever else you want but on your next attempt you compensate for that.
But it impacted kickers on both teams today. Thats highly unusual. Especially at this level, don't you think? I even thought there were some poor kicks from hand as well, but that is harder to assess. I think there is certainly something different, whether the pitch or the ball. Otherwise I can think of no good reason for such poor performances.

Maybe there actually is a conspiracy? Maybe even, dare I say, a vigilante in the mix?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat 10 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

The main problem seems to be that no fecker can kick it between the posts

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down