The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is being religious good or bad for Boxers???

+15
TopHat24/7
Super D Boon
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
gab
compelling and rich
Rowley
BALTIMORA
Steffan
bhb001
oxring
88Chris05
coxy0001
Mind the windows Tino.
Scottrf
TRUSSMAN66
19 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Is being religious good or bad for Boxers??? - Page 2 Empty Is being religious good or bad for Boxers???

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 2:06 pm

First topic message reminder :

Yes
----
1. It can make you not worry about dying and let you go the extra yard
2. Make you more disciplined in life generally..
3. Can make you more goal-focused.

No
---
1. Might make you feel when you are under the kosh (like that word) that it's God's will you are destined o lose..
2. Might make you lack the killer-instinct....
3. Make you more likely to be duped by unscrupulous people.......because you tend to see the good in people more..or you are supposed too anyway!!

Sure are other arguments to be made but is being religious generally a good or bad thing for Boxers..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Is being religious good or bad for Boxers??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is being religious good or bad for Boxers???

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:01 pm

Beer then wine? Bloody hell - bit posh for the valleys aren't you Steff?

My relatives stick to either beer OR shorts. Can't afford wine.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Is being religious good or bad for Boxers??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is being religious good or bad for Boxers???

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:02 pm

emancipator wrote:Good stuff Oxy,

Some of the most well reasoned and logical posts I've ever read on here.

You're not a medic by any chance are you?

A lot of doctor-speak filtering through.

ghost

Medical student, final year. Was it the RCT bit that gave it away? I realised just after writing that - not everyone speaks in terms of RCTs.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:03 pm

So how old are you then Oxy?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:03 pm

Cool, good luck with your finals, where are you studying?

I'm a CT1, general med.

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:06 pm

emancipator wrote:Cool, good luck with your finals, where are you studying?

I'm a CT1, general med.

Awesome! I thought I was the only medic on here.

Where have you been dispatched by the system to? Somewhere nice? Enjoying Gen med?

PS 22 Steffan. Though worryingly close to 23 (next week)
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Im feeling left out now

Any Archaeology students here or am I stuck with the Med school boys?

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:08 pm

Steffan wrote:Im feeling left out now

Tumbleweed

Wink

Where you doing Archaeology mate?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:09 pm

Midlands, big, busy hospital

Working in acute med at the moment. It's ok, very busy, also shift work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

oxring wrote:

Tumbleweed

Wink

Caerdydd. Unlike you my clients are already dead

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

religion has done nothing good for antony small's career!!

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:57 pm

Steffan wrote:
oxring wrote:

Tumbleweed

Wink

However - good time to be involved in it; what with the cave on the Gower and the Newport ship a couple of years ago.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 6:58 pm

compelling and rich wrote:religion has done nothing good for antony small's career!!

Anthony Small hasn't done much for Anthony Small's career either Wink
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why are so anti-religion Balti...?

You're oozing contempt..

suspect he has read the God Delusion once too often and taken it all a bit seriously

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 13 Sep 2011, 7:02 pm

oxring wrote:
compelling and rich wrote:religion has done nothing good for antony small's career!!

Anthony Small hasn't done much for Anthony Small's career either Wink

very true, if there were a god he'd been struck down by a bolt of lighting along time ago

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

kinda with balti on this in some respects as dont believe in any type of god/supreme being or whatever u want to call it
but have a realy good friend who borders on bible bashing(his face book statuses make me chuckle)
we agree to disagree on what we believe and base our friendship on mutualy apreciated things

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:05 pm

kinda cool how this thread degenerated to this tho Smile

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:13 pm

You should have seen its equivalent on the old beeb! Went on for a month!

That said, I was younger and quicker tempered then. Much less reasonable.

In the end a moderator locked it and wrote - "fantastic debate but nothing to do with boxing."

Only time they ever bothered to explain to me why they were behaving as they were.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:24 pm

I'm a practising Catholic and it never helped me I was awful in the ring.
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:34 pm

Steffan wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I dropped out of university as deep down, I knew I was too thick to justify the time and expense. If it wasn't for my fantastic job, brilliant kids and awesome wife, you would make me feel very inferior.

As a mature student I quote something I read the other day "At age 30+ success is still being single with no screaming brats to clean up after and spending your Sunday mornings chilling from the night before rather then being dragged around B&Q or IKEA looking at units and other boring stuff and wondering at what point your life became so mundane"

Class Very Happy

Did you read that in a jazzy, funky student magazine. Or did you write it yourself in a desperate attempt to hide your own insecurities?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:36 pm

brilliant kids and awesome wife...

The Lady doth protest too much...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:brilliant kids and awesome wife...

The Lady doth protest too much...

Don't worry big guy, I am sure they are not as brilliant as your wife's kids.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by gab Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:42 pm

Mind the windows Tino. wrote:
Steffan wrote:
Mind the windows Tino. wrote:I dropped out of university as deep down, I knew I was too thick to justify the time and expense. If it wasn't for my fantastic job, brilliant kids and awesome wife, you would make me feel very inferior.

As a mature student I quote something I read the other day "At age 30+ success is still being single with no screaming brats to clean up after and spending your Sunday mornings chilling from the night before rather then being dragged around B&Q or IKEA looking at units and other boring stuff and wondering at what point your life became so mundane"

Class Very Happy

Did you read that in a jazzy, funky student magazine. Or did you write it yourself in a desperate attempt to hide your own insecurities?

work with a guy late 30s spends all his money on computer games and blue rays its how he chooses to live his life which is fair enough each to there own.
have tried to show him the error of his ways ..he can pull the women when he tries hes just happy like that
when im old (well older;) ). and i got my kids and grandkids around me and hes got nothing but whatever the newest consol /gadget is i think il be the more contented going to meet my maker whome ive never believed in;)

gab

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

as your Wife's kids..........

Cool nice riposte

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 9:31 pm

Steffan wrote:

Class Very Happy

Read it. Although I do genuinely believe having kids is for people with nothing better to do with their time. My new mrs hates kids. I dont hate them but our mutual passion for the belief that there is more to life than breeding little people is a strong bond in our relationship

Marriage is for people with more money than sense. She owns her own hairdressers and her mummy and daddy are minted so I may use the small sense I got and marry her Smile

Iv earned it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:01 pm

You're an incurable romantic........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:02 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:You're an incurable romantic........

I was thinking something similar. Byron's poetry has nothing on Steffan
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue 13 Sep 2011, 10:07 pm

Like I said fellas. Iv earned it

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Super D Boon Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:00 pm

It's all nonsense. God is love not war!

Super D Boon

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

Super D Boon wrote:It's all nonsense. God is love not war!
New Testament God maybe. Old Testament God was a right miserable bugger.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

It's too meaty a subject for hit and run merchants.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

Steffan wrote:
oxring wrote:

Tumbleweed

Wink

I'll chuck in Economics if that makes you feel any better....though I graduated in 2005 admittedly. My clients/subjects then were neither dead nor even sick, just generally milling about being annoyingly irrational and generally unquantifiable. Hence the phrase 'ceteris paribus', being the little Latin explanation to why nothing ever turns out the way economists predict!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

Why would anybody want to study archaeology????

I know we've got a few old fossils on here but...

Jeez!!!!.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:25 pm

rowley wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why are so anti-religion Balti...?

You're oozing contempt..

suspect he has read the God Delusion once too often and taken it all a bit seriously

I've read it, yeah, among several other books on the subject. Key factor is working with a lot of catholics. Long story.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:28 pm

Give us the short version...I'm Catholic and I'm a great guy.

Seriously though what's the problem!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:40 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Give us the short version...I'm Catholic and I'm a great guy.

Seriously though what's the problem!!

Far, FAR too many hypocrites for my liking. While I do know some c*******s who are fine, I for one don't see the point in being any kind of 'moderate' or 'casual' follower of any faith. It's like being a moderate vegetarian-you either are or you're not. I know of a catholic school which is partnered with one in Uganda, and I just find it dispiriting that an issue such as Uganda's appalling attitude toward homosexuality is skirted over and ignored. There are other issues, but right now I can't go into them.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:46 pm

Full of hypocrites you're right....Some of the most racist, mean spirited people I've met have been fellow Catholics....

However perhaps not enough to paint a whole religion black.......

Religion whilst it does cause a lot of fear and trouble in this World it does however keep some potential scumbags in check it has to be countered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BALTIMORA Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:52 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Full of hypocrites you're right....Some of the most racist, mean spirited people I've met have been fellow Catholics....

Religion whilst it does cause a lot of fear and trouble in this World it does however keep some potential scumbags in check it has to be countered..

No, I admit it's not enough to tar all with the one brush. I just don't like that these institutions which paint themselves holier-than-thou are actually after nothing more than material gain. That, and the argument that "well there's no proof either way" simply doesn't pass muster.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 14 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Full of hypocrites you're right....Some of the most racist, mean spirited people I've met have been fellow Catholics....

No, I admit it's not enough to tar all with the one brush. I just don't like that these institutions which paint themselves holier-than-thou are actually after nothing more than material gain. That, and the argument that "well there's no proof either way" simply doesn't pass muster.

I am not a religious man, but the bit I don't get (and bear with me here, I dropped out of university remember) is why, on occasions, do people who believe in God try and get people who don't, to "prove" God exists? How can that possibly work? Shouldn't the onus be on the person of faith to prove that he/she/it exists?

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

"Dropped out of University remember..."

Don't get confused with education and common sense...

Hate it when people assume a guy/girl is bright just because she's got a BSC or BA......

Most of the cleaners are brighter than some of the dumbasses I work with..

The onus or choice is for the person to believe or not..and not to either force his faith on anyone.......... or ridicule someone for having faith

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

BALTIMORA wrote:

I am not a religious man, but the bit I don't get (and bear with me here, I dropped out of university remember) is why, on occasions, do people who believe in God try and get people who don't, to "prove" God exists? How can that possibly work? Shouldn't the onus be on the person of faith to prove that he/she/it exists?

The 'onus' shouldn't be on anyone. Neither party has a duty of proof to the other. The whole point of faith is it's a belief in something that cannot be proven or disproven. I realise this sounds like codswallop to atheists/religious sceptics but at the end of the day faith should be a personal thing, if you believe in it fine, if you don't also fine.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:08 pm

as Bertrand Russell said, I can assert that a chocolate teapot is circling the Earth.It is not then satisfactory to say, "Well, until you prove otherwise, I state this a true". It is for the person asserting a "fact" to back it up, not leave it to others to counter their belief.
It's in the very essence of religious people (with the exception of Buddhists) to convince others of their way of thinking.Just as Marxists believe that they who know the truth about the evils of capitalism will be saved in a new society, we humans tend to need a handrail such as religion or philosophy to support us in our feeling that "We will be saved", "we know the truth" etc,etc. "The Bible" literally means "The Good News", remember, it was an instrument of propoganda, meant to save people.
The question should be, in my view, "Do People Need Religion?"!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:10 pm

Good post tophat.....

deep stuff andyboy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:11 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:"Dropped out of University remember..."

Don't get confused with education and common sense...

Hate it when people assume a guy/girl is bright just because she's got a BSC or BA......
Most of the cleaners are brighter than some of the dumbasses I work with..

The onus or choice is for the person to believe or not..and not to either force his faith on anyone.......... or ridicule someone for having faith

Yet you've used your Keele background as a stick to beat plenty of other posters with on here when condescending alternative views to your own.

And it's BSc by the way...

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Good post tophat.....

deep stuff andyboy..

Thanks.

PS: Didn't intend my following post to sound as harsh as it did when I re-read it!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

Only in jest...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

andygf wrote:as Bertrand Russell said, I can assert that a chocolate teapot is circling the Earth.It is not then satisfactory to say, "Well, until you prove otherwise, I state this a true". It is for the person asserting a "fact" to back it up, not leave it to others to counter their belief.
It's in the very essence of religious people (with the exception of Buddhists) to convince others of their way of thinking.Just as Marxists believe that they who know the truth about the evils of capitalism will be saved in a new society, we humans tend to need a handrail such as religion or philosophy to support us in our feeling that "We will be saved", "we know the truth" etc,etc. "The Bible" literally means "The Good News", remember, it was an instrument of propoganda, meant to save people.
The question should be, in my view, "Do People Need Religion?"!

That's pretty much where I am Andy, each to their own but Russell's chocolate teapot analogy is the one I am always drawn to when I ponder the existence of a supreme being. Science can't answer everything and realises this but really dislike the idea that allows people to fill in the blanks with hocus pocus and superstition

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:18 pm

I believe in God.....but I feel sorry for those who live their lives basically following his beliefs to the letter...

If you try your best to be good it should be enough..

Had something disastrous and devastating happen to us a few years after coming over here and I'd hate to feel that there wasn't a leveller somewhere out there..

after this life...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:19 pm

A comfort blanket if you will.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:20 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
BALTIMORA wrote:

The 'onus' shouldn't be on anyone. Neither party has a duty of proof to the other. The whole point of faith is it's a belief in something that cannot be proven or disproven. I realise this sounds like codswallop to atheists/religious sceptics but at the end of the day faith should be a personal thing, if you believe in it fine, if you don't also fine.

TopHat, good answer, thank you for your considered post.

Truss, I think you will find I have gently ribbed Oxy over his education already so your point becomes a little irrelevant. I don't care if anyone went to University or not. It was a joke, beefcake.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 14 Sep 2011, 2:22 pm

maybe........Scotty

Religion can be whatever you make it... and it's as important as you want it to be..

like Balti said though there are a lot of people who think that by spending a few minutes in confession with a soft Priest... it cleanses the vile views they spout...and hypocrisy is rife!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next