The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

+70
Cari
Taylorman
emack2
Nos na Gaoithe
PJHolybloke
Breadvan
HURLEY_BURLEY
kiakahaaotearoa
Bujin
G2
Artful_Dodger
Notch
aucklandlaurie
JmD
Rob B
Rugby Uberlord
RDW
boomeranga
Goosestepper
mutememories
Pot Hale
Gatts
eirebilly
OzT
Submachine
Cymroglan
Jenifer McLadyboy
Feagh McHugh
Pal Joey
greybeard
littlejohn
Kingshu
MrsP
Don Alfonso
D24tress
clivemcl
akaredtop
BlueMuff
MunsterMac
WillyGilly
rapidsnowman
Rava
Glas a du
Mickado
Gibson
Bullsbok
logie28
The Great Aukster
Hookisms and Hyperbole
valjester
Taffineastbourne
mrsuperclear
Thomond
asoreleftshoulder
Standulstermen
UlstermaninGlasgow
dublin_dave
Full Credit
Sin é
shantara
Comfort
GunsGerms
Feckless Rogue
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Tayto
George Carlin
rodders
red_stag
Boyne
MMC
74 posters

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by MMC Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ireland:
1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:
16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Conor Murray
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Andrew Trimble

Australia:
15. Kurtley Beale (NSW Waratahs)
14. James O’Connor (Western Force)
13. Anthony Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
12. Pat McCabe (Brumbies)
11. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
8. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
5. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
4. Dan Vickerman (NSW Waratahs)
3. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)

Reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)
18. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
19. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
20. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
21. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
22. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)

COME ON IRELAND!!

littlejohn's thread about how we can beat the Wallabies:

littlejohn wrote:Would like to hear other people's views on what ireland need to do to have a chance of beating Australia this Saturday. Here are some of my naive thoughts on what needs to happen:

1. Ireland to play with same agression when they played England earlier this year. While ireland have not really performed since then, I'm quietly confident they'll be fired up for this game!

2. Steal some of Italy's tactics for the game. Italy did really well in the first half vs Oz by kicking very well timed up and unders (generally aimed at AAC), and they were very well organised in defence, which resulted in frustration creeping in for the Wallabies. If they had a decent 10 this might have been a lot closer!

3. Start with ROG - His tactical kicking and ability to vary it is in my opinion a better fit for this kind of game. We can always bring Sexton on later if we need to change tactics. I think he's also marginally better at kicking penalty and conversions.

4. Whereever Cooper is standing in defence run at him (ideally using O'Brien/Ferris) - Pretty obvious one this, although he does often stand deep covering full back off lineouts, etc.

5. Play Australia at their own game - Australia have been very good at putting pressure on rucks, but Ireland will need to do the same when Australia have the ball, slowing it down where possible to stop Genia getting into gear.

6. Leverage Bowe and Kearney's height - Cross field kicks (timed well) could reap rewards for us. Rog is excellent at this.

All in all I accept this will be a tall order, but Ireland play the underdog tag better than anyone! I'm praying it won't be yet another herioc defeat. Bring on Saturday!

Last edited by MMC on Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:11 am; edited 3 times in total
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:55 pm

MMC - thats George Hook. He never lets us down when it comes to talking down our chances.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/rugby/world-cup/another-early-world-cup-exit-on-cards-for-ireland-16048366.html
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Ireland vs Australia - Discussion Thread

Post by Full Credit Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:00 pm

I was a lot more nervous about this game a few months ago but having seen the respective teams form I think Australia will win this comfortably. Aus have avalanche-esque momentum having won the super15, Trinations and dealt with Italy with relative ease. Ireland's momentum hasn't even left the station.

A bit has been said about Ireland having to come out firing on all cylinders which basically goes without saying if they're to have a shot at this. Likewise, if Australia come out and play how they did against NZ the last time this game could be all over after 30mins. Australia are going to score points, there's no doubt about it, Ireland will have to keep the scoreboard ticking over and retain possession until the cows come home.

There is no way known that Ireland will catch Australia off guard. This is a crucial game that has a huge bearing on the paths each team will take into the playoffs and is one that I'm sure Australia have had their sights set on for some time. Here's hoping it's a good spectacle.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by MMC Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:01 pm

Ah that's explains it Sin. Thanks for that. I've edited the article to give the author credit where it's due. Wink

I wonder whether we'll be able to gain any sort of upperhand on Australia in the scrum. It seems that with Ross in there, Healy's dramatic improvement since the Toulouse semi-final of 2010 and Greg Feek's involvement we've been getting better and better in that area.

The fact is, if we're not going to win the battle of the breakdown then we have to win the other battles in order to have a chance. Will the scrum be one of those?
MMC
MMC

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 pm

SOB, Ferris and Heaslip will all need to do their share of carrying and clearing rucks. In fact POC and his useless lump of a sidekick will too.

If we don't dominate the set piece and breakdown then we will lose because on current form Australia are far more threatening with the ball in hand.

We need to restrict and disrupt their possession as much as possible, make them work overtime in defence and take whatever points comes our way. I think if we can get SOB, Heaslip and Ferris running at backs then we will be able to put the wallaby defence on the back foot and if that happens there will be gaps for Bowe, Earls, Trimble etc.

If we can do that for 80min then we have a chance.

I'd play Kearney at the back too because they will kick a lot I feel so we need to be solid under the high ball.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:04 pm

Leinterbaby - Both our head coach, players and many of our fans would appear to have lost their marbles. It is looking worryingly similar to 2007

the fact that some are genuinely considering an axis of Murray,Rog and Sexton for a game we have had 4 years to build up to is beyond nuts. The time to try something leftfield has long gone and has been wasted.

Kidney has made an absolute horlicks of things in particular with his constant tinkering at half back and his complete lack of tinkering in midfield. its an unholy mess. after the england game surely the evidence was there that our best combo is Reddan and Sexton with Rog as an impact sub as required. Obviously not for Kidney who seems obsessed with big lumps of scrum halves. Murray im sure will turn into a very good quality scrum half but he is not there yet and talk of him starting v aus is some kick in the teeth to reddan and also to boss

Kidney has done all in his power to keep for me our best half back units reddan & sexton and stringer and Rog away from each other. I still think Stringer would have been a massive asset with his fast pass and would add some much needed urgency.

Do not get me wrong Sexton and Reddan have not been great since the England game but is it any wonder the team have been disjointed with so much fluting around in one of the most critical areas on the field. deccie if you want to play a territory game and kick a lot of ball play ROG and grow a pair. Personally think we should be giving our all to replicate the performance v England.

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:07 pm

Bring back Gordon Hamilton!!!!

You want a good omen? In 91 Ireland lost all their warm up games to rubbish teams, scraped out of their group then put in one of our nations best ever performances v Aus in the quarters. Aus had one of their best ever teams too.

As gibson would say, Believe!!

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:10 pm

leinsterbaby wrote:Guys not performing:

Heaslip
Darcy
Sexton
Earls

These guys better rucking raise their game or we will get a pounding.

You can add O'Driscoll and DOC to that group. And there's a few others that aren't exactly on fire either. I thought that the player management program,and more warm up games was supposed to have them in tip top shape for the World Cup? The player management program was a hindrance to the provinces, but was justified as being for the greater good of the national team. It seems to me we've had more injuries than ever though. And we've been completely unable to even play two good games on the trot.

I'm sorry for being so negative by the way. I'm the worst for panicking when my team isn't playing well. On old 606, I was wondering out loud if Schmidt was the right man for the Leinster job Smile After all Leinster lost three out of four of their opening games. That meant Schmidt was a disaster, right?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:19 pm

Ireland have been lost since Scotland 2010 though. I think it's fair to be critical now.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:20 pm

dublin_dave wrote:Kidney has made an absolute horlicks of things in particular with his constant tinkering at half back

I have to say, I agree with this. I've heard many foreign pundits, including Bob Dwyer (world cup winning coach) and Lawrence Dallaglio (world cup winner), express puzzlement at why Kidney hasn't backed Sexton definitively as his number one out-half, and told ROG he's number two. Kidney has also shown a complete refusal to play Sexton with Reddan which is obviously our best combo. he won't break up the DOC/POC combo. He won't break up the D'arcy/BOD combo. It makes no sense what he's been doing with the half backs. You might say it's Sexton's fault that he hasn't stepped up. You'd be partly right. But it's the coaches job to fill his ten with confidence, not drain it out of him and undermine him.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:
dublin_dave wrote:Kidney has made an absolute horlicks of things in particular with his constant tinkering at half back

I have to say, I agree with this. I've heard many foreign pundits, including Bob Dwyer (world cup winning coach) and Lawrence Dallaglio (world cup winner), express puzzlement at why Kidney hasn't backed Sexton definitively as his number one out-half, and told ROG he's number two. Kidney has also shown a complete refusal to play Sexton with Reddan which is obviously our best combo. he won't break up the DOC/POC combo. He won't break up the D'arcy/BOD combo. It makes no sense what he's been doing with the half backs. You might say it's Sexton's fault that he hasn't stepped up. You'd be partly right. But it's the coaches job to fill his ten with confidence, not drain it out of him and undermine him.

I concur.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:23 pm

Personally think we should be giving our all to replicate the performance v England.

Weather forecast is bad for Saturday 17th Auckland:

Rain (4.5mm) and wind speed/gusts 30-40 kph.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by UlstermaninGlasgow Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:24 pm

I think a lot of people are forgetting how much work Cian Healy puts in at the breakdown, him and Rory Best are two of our best groundhogs and with Wallace out they will do a lot of work as well as O'Driscoll doing what he always does, albeit a bit out of form...

I still think that Paddy Wallace has to start at 12, D'Arcy is well out of form and McFadden just simply doesn't have enough experience to face an in-form Aussie side. Paddy always plays well down under!

Back three is tough... neither Bowe, Earls or Murphy particularly impressed, even though Tommy scored 2 tries he dropped about 5 bombs, while Earls was anonymous and Murphy is an injury doubt. In light of this Trimble has to start with Kearney and probably Tommy as we will need good chasers and strong tacklers to counter the Aussie backs. Thank god Ioane is out and AAC will start, expect the kicks to be aimed at his head all night.

At half back we have the choice of either Leinster scrum half, although I think that Boss should get the nod simply to counteract the Aussie back row and his great linkup with Heaslip/O'Brien and Ferris don't forget! While at 10 I think it has to be Sexton, give him the opportunity to show us why he's the great Irish hope and have ROG come on to finish it off

Healy Best Ross
DOC POC
Ferris Heaslip O'Brien
Boss Sexton
Wallace BOD
Trimble Kearney Bowe

Court Flannery Ryan Jennings Reddan ROG Earls

As Gibson would say "Believe" thumbsup
UlstermaninGlasgow
UlstermaninGlasgow

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:27 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:

I see you have wiped the autumn internationals out of your mind (and you are right to).

A Sexton & Reddan combination started against NZ & SA. We lost both of them as well and Sexton at least was playing reasonably well.
The reason most people have forgotten these games I presume is because you couldn't blame either ROG or O'Leary for them.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:30 pm

UlstermaninGlasgow wrote:I think a lot of people are forgetting how much work Cian Healy puts in at the breakdown, him and Rory Best are two of our best groundhogs and with Wallace out they will do a lot of work as well as O'Driscoll doing what he always does, albeit a bit out of form...

I still think that Paddy Wallace has to start at 12, D'Arcy is well out of form and McFadden just simply doesn't have enough experience to face an in-form Aussie side. Paddy always plays well down under!

Back three is tough... neither Bowe, Earls or Murphy particularly impressed, even though Tommy scored 2 tries he dropped about 5 bombs, while Earls was anonymous and Murphy is an injury doubt. In light of this Trimble has to start with Kearney and probably Tommy as we will need good chasers and strong tacklers to counter the Aussie backs. Thank god Ioane is out and AAC will start, expect the kicks to be aimed at his head all night.

At half back we have the choice of either Leinster scrum half, although I think that Boss should get the nod simply to counteract the Aussie back row and his great linkup with Heaslip/O'Brien and Ferris don't forget! While at 10 I think it has to be Sexton, give him the opportunity to show us why he's the great Irish hope and have ROG come on to finish it off

Healy Best Ross
DOC POC
Ferris Heaslip O'Brien
Boss Sexton
Wallace BOD
Trimble Kearney Bowe

Court Flannery Ryan Jennings Reddan ROG Earls

As Gibson would say "Believe" thumbsup

I thought Trimble was as unimpressive as Murphy. If you think Earls was anonymous, what do you think of Trimble in the 12 mins touched the ball once and that was to kick it away!

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:40 pm

In the 12 mins he was on were we not trying to maul and scrum the USA over the line? Unless you want him to join in the back of the scrum im not sure what he can do.

His kick was idiotic but it doesnt negate the fact that over the past 5 games he has been our best player

Just to qualify that Sin befiore you come back. I have not and did not say Earls was anonymous

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 pm

Sin é wrote:

I see you have wiped the autumn internationals out of your mind (and you are right to).

A Sexton & Reddan combination started against NZ & SA. We lost both of them as well and Sexton at least was playing reasonably well.
The reason most people have forgotten these games I presume is because you couldn't blame either ROG or O'Leary for them.

I think the reason people have forgotten about them is because they were almost a year ago and they have performed well together for Leinster and Ireland in the meantime.

O'Leary and now D'Arcy are being criticised because they haven't done the business for Ireland since 2009 .RoG isn't being criticised but you seem to think that anyone preferring Sexton is an attack on RoG.It's not,I'd have no problem with him starting on Saturday but I don't think it's as significant a decision as a lot of people make out.They are both at a similar level and unless the forwards sort themselves out then we could get Carter in there and we'd still be hammered.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:44 pm

Boyne wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Are Heaslip and Ferris actually fit?

Yip. JH is just playing *ahem* with something in reserve we hope.

And if 1F is injured, bejaysus, I wouldnt like to see him in full form.

Both are grand. I reckon BOD is hurting tho.

Fair do's - I have been basing recent comments on the warm up games.

All Scotland fans assume that Dan Parks has been playing with something in reserve for the past 8 seasons.

A man not keen on getting his knees muddy.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:12 pm

I've never attacked ROG. Ever. Based on what we saw of Sexton in the last match, ROG should start against Australia. Even more so if it's raining. I was criticizing Kidney's approach to the half backs.

We know that the team say they want an attacking style of rugby. Which makes sense given the tackle interpretations and the fact that our lineout is less dominant than it was.

Reddan and Sexton were playing great attacking rugby for Leinster all year. I personally think it would have made sense to back them as the number one 9/10 combo, quite a while ago. You also have the added bonus of ROG being a brilliant impact sub (Stringer also, in my opinion). He can close out a close game. He can change the tempo if we need to comeback or want to pull away.

But Kidney hasn't backed Reddan/Sexton as first choice. He hasn't backed anyone. He persisted with TOL and then dropped him at the last minute, in favour of Murray. He never started Sexton and Reddan together in the warm ups. He never gave Boss much game time, then brings him to the World Cup. Sexton doesn't know where he stands with the coach. Who is our first choice scrum half? Who is our first choice flyhalf? Does anyone here know?

I just think it's been mismanaged. It's an example of the actions of a head coach who I think has lost his way since the tackle interpretations changed. In my opinion. And that's not an attack on ROG. He's a legend.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:25 pm

we were poor in last years autumn internationals correct. to be honest we have been poor in 80% of games since the grand slam win and you could argue we were poor in two of the Grand Slam games. not quite sure i see your point.

on the evidence of our one coherent complete performance in 2011 and the Heineken cup (next best barometer for international selection) i would go with Reddan and Sexton. Sexton has not been very good however neither has Rog when he started.

your point on the weather however is a valid. If the kiwi met office is more reliable that our own Met Eireann and the weather is absolutely filthy it may be best to start with Rog as his tactical kicking is superior and his decision making in a green jersey is better

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm pretty sure ROG will start. Probably marginally the right call at the moment provided kidney gets the tactics right.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Fanning rported a team today I think it included D'Arce and Sexton with Trimble in too,I think.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsuperclear Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 pm

Would anyone be surprised if Kidney did one or some of the following? Pick Court over Healy, Flannery over Best, Murray/Boss over Reddan, ROG over Sexton, Sexton/Wallace/McFadden over D'arcy, Earls over Trimble/Bowe, Earls/Murphy over Kearney.

Kidney has been obsessed with "building a squad" but it definitely seems to have come at the cost of having a settled team. The odd 50/50 decision affects every team but it seems we have a fair few and it's arguably a problem with the key positions of half backs where you want players playing with confidence in an ideal world. We're facing the biggest game in Kidney's tenure as head of the Irish team and yet he's still probably mulling over these decisions as we speak. I'm not sure I'd overly criticise him due to Eddie's steady XV from the last world cup but I wouldn't be complimenting him either. On the flip side you look at the decisions the New Zealand management have to face and maybe I'm just ranting and talking aimless and pointless shoite. The team really should be settled and playing with confidence at this stage IMO though, but it isn't, and it probably won't on Saturday either. I'll do my best to BELIIIIIIIIIIIIEVE when that whistle blows though.

mrsuperclear

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:48 pm

Kidney is becoming the Marc lievremont of Irish rugby.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:49 pm

mrsuperclear wrote:Would anyone be surprised if Kidney did one or some of the following? Pick Court over Healy, Flannery over Best, Murray/Boss over Reddan, ROG over Sexton, Sexton/Wallace/McFadden over D'arcy, Earls over Trimble/Bowe, Earls/Murphy over Kearney.

Yes, no,yes, no, yes, no and yes.

Thomond have you got a link to Fannings team?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

asoreleftshoulder wrote:
Sin é wrote:

I think the reason people have forgotten about them is because they were almost a year ago and they have performed well together for Leinster and Ireland in the meantime.

O'Leary and now D'Arcy are being criticised because they haven't done the business for Ireland since 2009 .RoG isn't being criticised but you seem to think that anyone preferring Sexton is an attack on RoG.It's not,I'd have no problem with him starting on Saturday but I don't think it's as significant a decision as a lot of people make out.They are both at a similar level and unless the forwards sort themselves out then we could get Carter in there and we'd still be hammered.

You seem quick to jump to the conclusion that this has anything to do with Sexton Or O'Gara. I was responding to this comment "Kidney has also shown a complete refusal to play Sexton with Reddan which is obviously our best combo." which of course is complete garbage and very relevant because I think Eoin Reddan's performance against the All Blacks was one of the worst performances of a scrumhalf I've ever seen (and that includes anything Tomas O'Leary might have played with one hand and a leg).

Its also very relevant as to why Kidney tried to twin O'Leary & Sexton as much as possible.

Up to the game on Saturday I would have had Sexton & O'Leary starting (purely because I think Genia is going to wipe Reddan out). I changed my mind about Sexton after last Sunday game. He is in very poor form.

I also think it is absolute nonsense coming out from some of you that Kidney should have backed Sexton better - he has had about 18 starts in the last 2 years, far more than any other outhalf going. If he can't sort his head out to compete with a 34 year old for the starting 10 spot, how is he going to compete against the like of Quade Cooper & Dan Carter?

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:02 pm

Sorry,I don't someone told me about it,so it mightn't be 100% accurate.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Thomond wrote:Fanning rported a team today I think it included D'Arce and Sexton with Trimble in too,I think.

Fanning is clueless. He is only setting something up so that his next article can bitch about the selection.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:09 pm

Sin é wrote:
I also think it is absolute nonsense coming out from some of you that Kidney should have backed Sexton better - he has had about 18 starts in the last 2 years, far more than any other outhalf going. If he can't sort his head out to compete with a 34 year old for the starting 10 spot, how is he going to compete against the like of Quade Cooper & Dan Carter?

Sin how many successive starts has Sexton had? How could you have O'Leary to start when he's not even in the squad?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:20 pm

Sorry to say that I can see only one outcome.Ireland have been on the slide for some time.POC and DOC and BOD/Darcy combos are past their best and half-backs seem a shambles.Good luck against Oz,you'll need it.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:27 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Sin how many successive starts has Sexton had? How could you have O'Leary to start when he's not even in the squad?

Out of 20 games, 15 starts & 5 sub appearances. Longest run of games was 6 in a row. He has always played two in a row as well (he has never been dropped after playing one game). He has also been injured a bit (hand injury etc).

This is the way it has gone
Start 2; Sub 1: Start 3: Sub 1; Start 6; Sub 2; Start 3; Sub 1; Start 1 USA.

I had O'leary (or physical SH to start). I just don't think Reddan is up to it.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by valjester Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:31 pm

The team fanning posted in this article is; Kearney; Bowe, O’Driscoll, D’Arcy, Earls; Sexton, Reddan; Healy, Best, Ross, O’Callaghan, O’Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, O’Brien.

I think that it is extremely harsh on trimble but I don't think earls has been as bad as everyone is making out. Besides the france game on the wing he has been solid in every game we have played.

Darcy is lucky to be included and I'm delighted that best is still in. He has been playing really well lately and deserves his place.
Sexton will deliver, big game player and this is a huge vote of confidence in him which he'll react well to.
Doc and Heaslip are big game players and will deliver, doc is inconsistent these days but on the big day he will deliver and heaslip is one of the best 8s about.
Kearney always plays well against australia, bowe got all the rust out of his game and earls was brilliant for munster from february, our back three will be solid and take any chances presented.
Still very worried about bod and his shoulder problems, but he will still but his body in the way.
Ferris and sob will work well. Ferris and heaslip will do a lot of the tight work which will let sob do the carrying wider out. Going to miss wally on the bench though as neither leamy or jennings are good enough.
Healy back is a big boost, because as good as court was healy is a monster in the loose and we will need him defensively and for carrying.

Hope is coming back and I hate optimism more than anything else, as it will be so painful when it all goes wrong.

valjester

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't want to be overly negative about our chances, but I think we will lose by 20-30 points. Pocock is going to have a field day against our backrow- we won't win any match if we don't have the ball. I know its sacrilege to criticism SOB, but his breakdown work at international level is poor. Heaslip's breakdown work is limited. Ferris's breakdown work relies on physicality and we need someone with brains rather than brawn to slow down Australian ball and try and turn them over. Does anyone honestly believe that this much vaunted backrow is the one to do it? I am a huge fan of Jennings at provincial level (I'm an Ulster fan btw) and have called for him to be in the team for the past 3 seasons. His last two performances have backed up what Red_Stag and MBTGOG have been saying for quite some time- a very good club player but just not quite good enough to be an international 22 player. Without Wallace we have three ball carriers and no one to do the dirty work. Instead we will rely on Best and Healy, the two best players at the breakdown in the Six Nations. Problem is, they are frontrow forwards.

The other problem is the completely uninspiring back play. O'Driscoll looks off the pace, D'Arcy needs no discussion, and Sexton's wrap around and loop is utterly predictable. I genuinely don't see how we can win this match as things stand. To me, the air of 2007 is in the lack of confidence and expression in the players themselves.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:59 pm

roddersm wrote:
Sin é wrote:

How could you have OLeary to start when he is not a rugby player.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Jennings made 8 tackles and missed one - hardly a match changing stat against a team intent on boshing it up the midfield. Sexton, D'Arcy and BOD made more tackles than the entire backrow (Murphy didn't even have to make one!).

The joy of stats, huh?

Hook makes one good point in his self-absorbed diatribe - about not picking up from the scrum. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that Heaslip was worried about his concussion and hence his aversion to carry the ball. A relatively paltry 18m was low for him especially compared to the biggest carrier - Ferris with 39. Interesting that Best was the second forward in the metres run stat with 24 - not bad for a guy that Brent doesn't see as dynamic. (BTW Jennings is recorded as 0).

Despite some saying Kidney doesn't know his best team, he sticks with those players whom he thinks are his best such as D'Arcy. I can't see him suddenly dropping him for the most important game of his coaching career and he probably needs his skills at the breakdown more than ever.
I reckon he could go for:
Healy, Best, Ross
DOC, POC
Ferris, SOB, Heaslip
Reddan, Sexton
Earls, Darce, BOD, Bowe
Kearney
Court, Fla, Ryan, Jennings, Murray, ROG, Trimble

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hookisms and Hyperbole Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:31 pm

How Earls can continued to be picked by people in here despite Trimble being Ireland's best player in the warm-up matches beggars belief. Is it because he made a single mistake and took a poor decision to kick the ball? On the basis of making mistakes such as those surely Sexton, Earls, Bowe, D'Arcy, Murray, O'Driscoll and O'Gara should never play for Ireland again. Trimble has been consistently better than Earls for the entire season.

Hookisms and Hyperbole

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm

I am feeling fairly negative about thw game but i dont think we should write off the ferris, SOB, Heaslip trio before they have played. Just go out and give it a lash. I actually dont have much issue with Earls being seleced but it should not be on the wing in front of Trimble.n In the spirit of 'givin it a lash' stick him at 15 with Bowe and Earls and run it back. Wont work most likely but then we probably wont win being conservative either Sad

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Taffineastbourne wrote:Sorry to say that I can see only one outcome.Ireland have been on the slide for some time.POC and DOC and BOD/Darcy combos are past their best and half-backs seem a shambles.Good luck against Oz,you'll need it.

Shocked Holy smokes Taff I think you might be on to something!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by logie28 Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:41 pm

If Darcy somehow manages to keep his place in the team we are in big trouble, he is now actually a liability. It gives me no pleasure to say this, he had been a great player at times, and appears to be a good man and honest servant to Irish rugby, but his form is shocking. Playing with 14 men would possibly be better than letting him continue.

Who replaces him? Wallace or McFadden. Or BOD to 12 and Bowe, Earls or even Trimble to 13. Bottom line, his time is unfortunately up

logie28

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Not being controversial here but the Aussies are too hot atm ,and with James O bieber at the back they've got yet another playermaker in the backline. Qaude Burglar will be stepping circles around irishmen this week .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:57 pm

I think thats probably the least controversial thing you could say BB. Had you mentioned how Gordon D'arcy is going to manshame Pocock and Elsom whilst outpacing Ioane on the way to a hat trick i might have agreed with you

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Ioane is out for an indefinite period. Broken thumb.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Gibson wrote:Ioane is out for an indefinite period. Broken thumb.

Yeah Gibbo. Cause thats THE reason that wont happen! laughing

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:02 pm

roddersm wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:Sorry to say that I can see only one outcome.Ireland have been on the slide for some time.POC and DOC and BOD/Darcy combos are past their best and half-backs seem a shambles.Good luck against Oz,you'll need it.

Shocked Holy smokes Taff I think you might be on to something!

Laugh

McFadden in. Lets beat de basterds with speed, power and a low centre of gravity man. His time is now.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:13 pm

Lads,
Jennings is NOT a ball-carrier. He is a proper 7. Not a ball-carrier. We have enough of them. He is the only man for Pocock. SOB will get lost at 7 (as per) and it will depreciate his natural game by 50%.It happens all the time with his club at HC level. Do we really want that? This is why Jennings plays there for Leinster - when he is fit.

Sheesh.

Kidney will start Ferris, SOB and Heaslip v Oz. That's for sure. Just hope we have Jenno on the bench, instead of the now useless and ineffectual Leamy.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Tayto Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 pm

Time to bring the curtain down on Darcy.
His time in an Irish jersey is spent.
Any other coach would have him playing in the pro 12.
But that's Deccie for you, loyal to a lot of poor players.

Sexton is the man for the 12 shirt OK

Tayto

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:28 pm

Tayto. It would be a radical move by Deccie, mo chara. But man, I agree with you. For this game anyway. guinness

But you know what's going to happen. He will play Darcy.

I just pray he has McFadden on the bench.

Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 am

Ireland:

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Stephen Ferris
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip
9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (c)
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Rob Kearney

Replacements:

16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Donnacha Ryan
19. Denis Leamy
20. Conor Murray
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Andrew Trimble

Well there you go.

Contentious calls are Trimble on the bench, D'arcy retained and Sexton retained.

Earls needs to replay Deccies faith in this game otherwise he will be lambasted for leaving out his form player
D'arcy retained showing that he has zero belief in Paddy Wallace and Fergus McFadden (will this signal the end of Paddy in green?)
Sexton missed 12 points or so in New Plymouth. I cant imagine ROG is happy. Has Deccie been hoodwinking us not wanting us to see Reddan and Sexton together in a game?

If he hasnt then not playing them together in any of our last 5 games could be disastrous.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:28 am

Not zero belief in Mcfadden. He has years to go yet. Just a waste of time and a place taking Paddy Wallace. It is obvious now he is there for 10 cover and 10 cover only. Another boo-boo by Deccie. He should have taken Fitzgerald if that was the case. Ryan instead of Cullen on the bench... well.

Its not a bad team. But the bench says more about him than the XV. I would have had Trimble starting instead of Earls(Deccies Pet). Leamy on the bench, compounds it all for me.

Anyway, its the team. I hope they perform. So much down to Reddan & Sexton. And the backrow.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:37 am

Could be worse, glad to see Reddan Sexton.

Trimble and Darcy calls are not great. But ah well.

Like Ryan on the bench

COME ON IRELAND

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:02 am

Probably would have gone with ROG but Sexton always has a big game in him so I can see why Kidney has kept him. Trimble could be forgiven for being pretty peeved with sitting on the bench but Earls is a similar pick to Sexton, always the possibility of a big performance there.

Darcy keeping his place just shows us that Kidneys thinks we've no other viable options. Shame that.

Right, let's just get behind them.

COME ON IRELAND!!! BELIEVE!!

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next