The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

+56
Rava
orb
cursedsun
lostinwales
brennomac
nganboy
MunsterMac
D24tress
greybeard
stevetynant
Standulstermen
robbo277
TrailApe
21st Century Schizoid Man
Hound_of_Harrow
Knowsit17
Mickado
tecphobe
welshy824
Pal Joey
englandglory4ever
fa0019
RuggerRadge2611
iso
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
BATH_BTGOG
trebellbobaggins
flyhalffactory
B91212
nathan
maestegmafia
Biltong
EnglishReign
Cowshot
Dave.
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
WillyGilly
Notch
SGD prop
Portnoy
boomeranga
TheGreyGhost
rodders
Cari
Thomond
eirebilly
Ozzy3213
Artful_Dodger
dubh_linn
Glas a du
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
Gatts
aucklandlaurie
Gibson
60 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  Empty Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by Gibson Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:12 pm

After 4 years of waiting, team building and anguish. This game has finally come. A key game to decide who takes control of their own destiny, in this Rugby World Cup Pool and beyond.

Australia and Ireland have History in this comp. A long and close one. History says, Australia beat Ireland every time in this Cup. Albeit twice by 1 point.
Can Ireland beat a team, who I personally believe are the best team in the World right now? I doubt it. They are 2 years ahead of us in their squad development.
But, this Irish team has not performed for an age. Is this the game when Ireland wake up and show Kidney's winning hand? Have we been holding back for this one? I hope so.
Otherwise, Australia will run rough-shod over us and around us.

We are due a huge performance. And it helps our psyche that we are underdogs. A term I normally despise and refuse to accept, but it's true in this case.

For your delectation and to refresh the memory banks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftwqtYBpASs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvhHy6MFfi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOqXJbkPVs

Update:.
Pocock is out. Ioane is out. The odds have been altered drastically.
O' Brien is up against a rookie. Ben McCalman. A man even less experienced than him at 7. This is the winning and losing of this game in my opinion. The breakdown. An area Oz excel at. They bullied NZ there. Pocock did McCaw there. Not usual.

Can Ireland compete with the Oz backrow, with Ferris, O' Brien and Heaslip on our side? Can we stop and suppress the opportunities for Genia to do his thing and negate their brilliant back line? That possibility has now been increased, with the loss of the brilliant Pocock. How much so, we don't know yet. But, this will buy Ireland extra time and space to do their voodoo. If, in fact, they have it in them to do so. After a mediocre showing in 5 games leading up to it.

For Ireland: Kearney is back. Healy is Back. Sean O Brien is back. Key players, who were part of a side that demolished an English team chasing the SLAM.
It was the last time Ireland played to their full potential. All games since and before have been mediocre - over the last 2 years.

Aussie are a far superior, technical and cohesive side. No doubt about it. But with the loss to injury, of two key players, the pendulum has swung. It's game on.

Lineups.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10935/index.html

Aussie update:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=38/news/newsid=2051878.html

Irish update:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10935/index.html

Aussie, Irish and all other rugby-mad fans. It would be grand if we could have virtual-pints, mutual-respect, banter and craic on here. Before, during and after the game. Win lose or draw.

Enjoy the game. guinness

Last edited by Gibson on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:09 am; edited 19 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  Empty Re: Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:17 pm

In a few hours time I'm off to Eden Park to hopefully see the Convicts give the Paddys a long overdue lesson in rugby....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  Empty Re: Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by Gatts Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:19 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: In a few hours time I'm off to Eden Park to hopefully see the Convicts give the Paddys a long overdue lesson in rugby....

Don't forget your blanket laurie, its chilly out there Whistle

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:27 pm

Gatts
I have courage to keep me warm..

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: Gatts
I have courage to keep me warm..

Epic. Enjoy the game

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:39 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: In a few hours time I'm off to Eden Park to hopefully see the Convicts give the Paddys a long overdue lesson in rugby....

Ha! Excellent! These convicts are from our very Paddy loins or (Lions) donchaknow. Dont spit on yer Grandas grave. zen
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:41 pm

the convicts went to Australia, we stayed in the UK...who had the last laugh!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:46 pm

You know Gatts, that always historically intrigued me. Sending prisoners, from a dank, damp, polluted, industrial nightmare of a land, to a land of Sun, milk, honey and beauty.

How did it work out?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:23 am

Most of them died

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:27 am

Arguably they've lost their most important forward and back there (maybe pushing it back wise, Cooper and Genia probably matter more, although he's probably the most in form, coming off a fantastic Super 15 season and someone who will run in the tries with a pace and power few wingers in the world can).

The odds have been shaved quite significantly. Not convinced Australia cannot be 'got at' up front; by putting McCalman, who I always thought was an 8, at 7 will mean the Irish will get away with a lot more spoiling at the breakdown than they would've with Pocock in there. It's an Irish forte to spoil, they have to slow down the ball to Cooper and Genia, and this will help.

Still anticipating an Australian win though; don't think they'll flag until later in the tournament (when they play England, most probably).

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:35 am

To be honest never heard of McCalman. Which Franchise did he play for? Whats his bio.

By the way Gibson... very good post as an intro. This is going to be fantastic. Can't wait to see Cooper line up a kick. censored

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:38 am

HammerofThunor wrote:Most of them died
Laugh

True. But not enough of them Thunor. Some of their ancestors, will come back to haunt us later, this very morn.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:19 am

Taylorman wrote:To be honest never heard of McCalman. Which Franchise did he play for? Whats his bio.

By the way Gibson... very good post as an intro. This is going to be fantastic. Can't wait to see Cooper line up a kick. censored

Taylor,
I'll be honest and tell you, I've never heard of him. Pocock scared me. I would have had Jennings - Europe's best 7, to deal with him, but Kidney disagreed with me for some mad impetuous reason. All that has changed now with the omission of Pocock. O' Brien was voted the best player in Europe this year. As a 6. Not a 7. What helped him get there, was Jennings at 7 and Heaslip at 8 - for Leinster. But, the team/22 is picked now and it looks a lot healthier now than before.

Ben McCalman stats:

Australia:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=38/player=32131/index.html

Western Force:
http://www.sportal.com.au/rugby-union-rwc-player-profile/australia/ben%20mccalman/2925/60/13

He's only played 19 minutes for Oz. Plays for Western Force. Played for the Baa Baas vs England. Great player apparently. I'm sure he and O Brien will relish this challenge.

Last edited by Gibson on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:28 am

Gibson wrote:[I would have had Jennings - Europe's best 7

Eh!?! Doh

Decent player, but not even close to that accolade. Agree that you will suffer without a natural fetcher, and would have done even moreso had Pocock played. The man is a physical freak, how he can stay on his feet with three bigger men crashing into him is mad. Ireland have to use the lineout, off the top, get POC and DOC playing like they did against England, with pace and purpose, get the back row, which is up there on a par with the best unit in Europe, clearing out and carrying over the gainline. Sexton can do the business with quick ball on the front foot, as shown against England, and BOD is BOD.

Is D'Arcy playing? Think he's been a weakness for a while. Needs a solid game today, not make as many mistakes as he has been.

Genuinely would love to see Ireland win. They have the players to win, they really do, especially up front, but it's the difference between potential and actually going out and performing; if they play the way they did against England a few months ago, they should win. If they play like they did against England last month, they will get played off the pitch. Not sure if they have the fear yet; the fear to play like they did back in March.

Apparently it's raining...come on...'on your day' and everything... guinness

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:40 am

Hoi Miaow mate.
Ah Jenno has been in 3 x HC Finals. Won 2. Won a English Prem with Tigers and a CL with Leinster. I mean. Hes handy like. He's a fav of mine and most of the Irish fans take de pish out of me for it. Phhoke em I say. zen

But, just to say, Warburton is eclipsing him now. Fantastic player. A proper 7. A rare commodity. guinness

TBH, Darcy is on the wane and his partnership with BOD will break a record in a few hours. The longest center partnership ever. I hope it clicks in the biggest game for us since 2007.

We need Sexton and Reddan to get the backline buzzing. Like they do for Leinster. And for that, we need go-forward ball. Heaslip, Ferris, SOB and Healy will help in this.

At least that's how Leinster demolished the rest of Europe, so why not Oz?

Last edited by Gibson on Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:41 am

Gibson wrote:Hoi Miaw mate.
Ah Jenno has been in 3 x HC Finals. Won 2. Won a English Prem with Tigers and a CL with Leinster. I mean. Hes handy like. He's a fav of mine and most of the Irish fans take de pish out of me for it. Phhoke em I say. zen

But, just to say, Warburton is eclipsing him now. Fantastic player. A proper 7. A rare commodity. guinness

Lions skipper 2013

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:56 am

I'm not doubting he's a good player, but I'm not sure he'd even be your best option at 7 had Wallace been fit. Think there are a fair few after Warburton who are better: Dusautoir certainly, Zanni possibly as well. Barclay has quality, and Rennie looks like one for the future. England don't seem to have an openside to offer. But even in Wales, Tipuric and Turnbull, admittedly inexperienced, I'd say are excellent, international quality opensides.

Now, I'll admit, that medal list is impressive, but I'm trying to judge him as a player in his own right, and I'm not sure he stands out over the likes of Warburton or Dusautoir.

Anyway, no need for this. SA game starting, this should be interesting!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:56 am

Gatts wrote:
Gibson wrote:Hoi Miaw mate.

Lions skipper 2013

I wouldn't bet against it Gatts. He's special. As is Falateau. As is Lydiate. Wales have a sublime backrow now. One that will develop, mature and will be there for years. One that knocked 7-bells of shoite out of the Saffers.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:15 am

Fred? Fred!
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:16 am

Is Hastings gay?
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:17 am

Roysh said Fred.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:19 am

How can a whole town be gay since 1066? Well, besides Brighton that is... And San Fran...
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:21 am

Need 2 hours sleep. Mind de Gaff(Gap) will ye lads?

Tanks very muck. OK
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by dubh_linn Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:29 am

Pocock out! Thats the best news i've had all year!....i'm actually daring to hope now....a very dangerous emotion following the irish rugby team!

dubh_linn

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:21 am

Best of luck to the Aussie fans on the board - may the best team win.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:31 am

Steven Moore out for Aus
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:31 am

Morning all. Cant wait for the match to begin.

aucklandlaurie, can you please explain to me just what your problem is with the Irish?
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:33 am

Jaysus, the BBC are still going on about Tindall Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:41 am

I find it unusual that a Kiwi is going for OZ,I have never seen it happen. All the best though Laurie. Hope you enjoy what should be a great game,it's your own choice who you support!

Last edited by Thomond on Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:47 am; edited 1 time in total

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:41 am

Morning All Smile mug

Tommy Bowe could get his 100th test point today of he scores. Very Happy and I could reach my 5000th 606v2 post on this thread.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:44 am

Morning Cari, its getting close Smile. I get to watch the match in HD this time, only prob is the French commentary Wink
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:46 am

Sacre Bleurt Billy! Well it's surprising how much of a foreign language you pick up as you watch a game...I like the way the French commentators pronounce some of the Irish/Welsh players names too when I've watched Heino games on French telly.

I can PM a link to you for ITV coverage, but it won't be in HD...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:51 am

Nah its cool but i will watch in on France 2 thanks very much though Cari.

Are you watching Breakfast on BBC 1 now. The worlds biggest idiot is on Smile
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:56 am

Very decent win for South Africa. Looks like they are now warmed up for this RWC
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:05 am

Come on Ireland! Yahoo
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:07 am

Who's the world's biggest idiot?

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:10 am

There was some Kiwi PR consultant giving it large over the Tindall incidenr miaow. He really looked like a fool as well
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:12 am

Who cares. Game time soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:16 am

I suspect Ireland are about to be bitterly, bitterly disappointed.

I'm predicting Australia by 30 points.

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by boomeranga Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 am

Moore gone as well. That's bad news. TPN is a great replacement (my favorite player), but not fit to play out 80.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:18 am

Sorry Billy - I went and made myself a cooked brekkie and ate it just then Smile

Gwaaan Ireland! I really hope Quinny is commentating again heart

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:20 am

Looks like it Cari. And would be refreshing, decent pundit. Although the Scottish bloke was decent in the last game as well. And Martin Twittingham seemed to be less annoying than usual, though still inept.

Think this will be a close game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:22 am

I BLYDI LOVE THE AWKWARDNESS AT THE BIG SCREEN!!!112

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:22 am

My heart wants an Ireland win.

But my head tells me that they're going to get hammered.

Good luck though guinness Leprechaun
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:22 am

I hope so, Quinny has a beautiful tone of voice...very soothing actually. And he knows what he's on about.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by TheGreyGhost Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:23 am

You're not wrong Miaow, cringeworthy isn't it?

TheGreyGhost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 am

I love the little moving players when they're doing the team on the big screen. Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 am

I wouldn't be surprised if we lost but I hope/think we won't lose by more than 15 points.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 am

Oh no! He didn't get the right camera!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:24 am

As an Irish fan, i honestly cant see a win. I think that Aussies by 15.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next