The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread

+26
kiakahaaotearoa
disneychilly
trebellbobaggins
boomeranga
George Carlin
doctornickolas
Knowsit17
Cymroglan
PJHolybloke
Davie
EnglishReign
I'm Robin F'n Gibb
rodders
Cowshot
maestegmafia
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
Ozzy3213
kingjohn7
majesticimperialman
aucklandlaurie
Otagolad
Full Credit
Oxford Welsh
Taylorman
emack2
Pal Joey
30 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Winning Margins

NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap32%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 32% 
[ 6 ]
NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap42%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 8 ]
NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap16%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap0%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap10%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_lcap0%NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 19

NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Empty NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread

Post by Pal Joey Sat 15 Oct 2011, 1:58 am

Eden Park, Auckland 21:00 NZ/ 19:00 AEST/ 09:00 GMT

New Zealand:

1. Tony Woodcock, 2. Kev Mealamu, 3. Owen Franks, 4. Sam Whitelock, 5. Brad Thorn, 6. Jerome Kaino, 7. R McCaw (C), 8. Kieran Read

9. Piri Weepu, 10. Aaron Cruden, 11. Richard Kahui, 12. Ma’a Nonu, 13. Conrad Smith, 14. Cory Jane, 15. Israel Dagg

Reserves:
16. Andrew Hore, 17. Ben Franks, 18. Ali Williams, 19. Victor Vito, 20. Andy Ellis, 21. Stephen Donald, 22. Sonny Bill Williams

Australia:

1 Sekope Kepu, 2 Stephen Moore, 3 Ben Alexander, 4 Dan Vickerman, 5 James Horwill (C), 6 Rocky Elsom, 7 David Pocock, 8 Radike Samo,

9 Will Genia, 10 Quade Cooper, 11 Digby Ioane, 12 Pat McCabe, 13 Anthony Faingaa, 14 James O'Connor, 15 Adam Ashley-Cooper,

Reserves:
16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 James Slipper, 18 Rob Simmons, 19 Ben McCalman, 20 Luke Burgess, 21 Berrick Barnes, 22 Rob Horne.

Last edited by Linebreaker on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:44 am; edited 5 times in total

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Empty Re: NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread

Post by Pal Joey Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:11 am

Kurtley Beale is now out, so AAC is the FB with Anthony Fainga'a at outside centre.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread Empty Re: NZ v Australia Semi Final: Live Match Thread

Post by emack2 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:23 am

A draw is not an option in a poll that is silly.Rules state in the event extra time.Then 10minutes sudden death,then a drop goal shoot out.

emack2

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:34 am

In being bold, going with the fact that beale is out, the poor cooper form factor, the game being at eden park and that every world cup home match for NZ is STILL a minimum 20 point win, I'm going for 15 +.
This match will define both GHs and this teams place in history and I reckon both have learned their lessons from '07.
The other factor is I believe last weeks match took some sting out of the oz forwards.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:53 am

emack2 wrote:A draw is not an option in a poll that is silly.Rules state in the event extra time.Then 10minutes sudden death,then a drop goal shoot out.

Good point emack... of course there will be a result. Thanks for pointing out the obvious Doh

I've removed the 'draw' from the poll.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:54 am

Line - you must be excited in Sydney as the time comes near !! You supporting Wales or France in the 1st Semi ??

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:54 am

emack2 wrote:A draw is not an option in a poll that is silly.Rules state in the event extra time.Then 10minutes sudden death,then a drop goal shoot out.

drop goal shoot out at the end of all that is silly too.
I would prefer that they have full length field sprints by the starting 15.
First to win 5. Back- forward- back- forward etc till one side has won 5.
That would be cool.
Painful..but cool!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:58 am

that would be weird !!! my money would be on NZ for that....

kicks also suck. remember Cardiff vs Leicester in the Heineken - we lost at Martyn Williams if I remember right - at least keep it to a few backs who can actually kick !!

I'm not so sure now but in other world cups if it stayed even after xtra time, countbacks and a few more things - they actually would have ended up with a toss of the coin !!!! Heads we win the world cup - would be ridiculous.

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:46 am

Any coin tossing option to split a draw after extra time is ridiculous. At that point its taken out of the teams hands because between them, they failed to produce a winner, the games primary requirement.
Drop goals and the like make the coin toss 'entertaining'.
As far as the game goes my thoughts all year are oz success centres around 6 primary players.
Beale, cooper, pocock, genia, Ioane and Oconnor. At some point each of the oz wins has centered largely around these 6 players.
Whether it be pococks huge effort last week or some linebreaking runs by the rest.
Beale has largely been the key link or initiator of the tries from the deep.
With beale out and coopers form suspect this puts huge pressure on the remaining 4, and 15 as a whole.
ABs will look to shove pocock off any ball in the breakdowns then isolate genia cooper ioane and joc.
As with carter beales absence is huge- oz have no one near his abilities from the deep. His confidence will be missed.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:55 am

My wobblies sense is telling me a close Aus win. I don't know why and I haven't really seen any evidence to support it but I can feel it in me waters. The leagueies will give it to NZ early on in the day and that'll motivate the wobblies to put in a massive, kiwi lunch-eating effort. Nonu to cross for first try though.

A penalty shootout in rugby has to be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Is anyone in a hurry to get home? Just keep playing until we've got a winner, even if it takes 3 hours.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:28 am

How bout we give you the league full credit?
Plus we'll throw in a couple of netball tests?
No?
Damn.
Hate these "can feel it in the water' things. Scary.
Only water ill be feeling is wen it starts running down my leg cos im too scared to leave the screen! mad

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 15 Oct 2011, 5:51 am

You'd have to sweeten the deal a bit more... throw in some cricket and the next few years Bledisloes and you might have yourself a deal. Nah, even then it's hard to go past RWC success.

I can't wait for this game, the wobblies without Beale and plenty of tired bodies out there, the AB's without Carter and McCaw held together with sticky-tape. The WC mockers still hanging over NZ, the history of Eden Park, the stage is set. Wallaby

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:03 am

Not that it matters a great deal but am I correct in thinking that if Aus win they will overtake NZ on the rankings?

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:46 am

Yep.
Anyone who beats nz will.
France would have gone from 6 to 1 amazingly if they beat us in pool play.

Meant to say really gutted for beale not making this. Been a (though sonetimes reluctant) fan of his since he scored that 60 meter try of carters turnover last year.

True class Beale. He just seems to be everywhere. Has no fear and is one of the most talented ball carriers ive ever seen. In the cullen mould

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:06 am

Yes losing Beale is a big loss as he's a very potent attacking player but I'd say they knew they were going to be without him all week and would have trained accordingly. AAC, while unlikely to set the world alight should be solid enough at the back. McCabe and Faainga are pretty decent in defence but don't offer a lot in attack, JOC and Digby are going to have to get more involved to get us on the front foot.

Hopefully Beale will be right for the finals. Whistle

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:11 am

I didn't realise they called the Bronze match a "final" Very Happy

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sat 15 Oct 2011, 8:13 am

I knew that was coming.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 2:39 am

Interesting no one oz 7 +.
I dont think joc and ioane will see much ball anyway.
I think both teams will keep this in the forwards.
ABs learning i think involves protecting the %s.
Possession territory risk.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 3:04 am

I think i've got these marsupials worked out.
Kangaroos to win,
Wallabys to lose....

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 3:41 am

Saw in the sydney morning herald jake white was mentioned as a potential replacement for GH.
Interesting. I can't think of one kiwi that stands out so why not? Even Ewan mckenzie appeals.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 4:02 am

Thats completely different to the impression he gave Kamo when they were talking on the preview priogramme yesterday,White said he would like to return as the SA coach,but didnt feel the time was right yet,To return to top level coaching, or maybe he didnt consider All Blacks top level.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:00 am

You going to this one laurie?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:19 am

Maybe he didnt consider the ALL Blacks top level.

You can hargly blame Jake White for that now can you.

The All Blacks have been expected to win the RWC every year since they won the first one 24 years ago. Their is no garuntee that they will win today so Jake White in my opinion may well be better of trying for the SA coach instead.

Stand more of a chance of winning the Web Wllis trophy than New Zealand do. Whistle

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:31 am

Taylorman
No I went last night,i was shouted so i couldnt really get to fussy about watching a welsh france test.
Saw a lot of very disappointed welshman last night and the attitude of the kiwi crowd was that they felt sorry for them.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:42 am

Good one maj. Ill guarantee you they win tonight. Hows that?

All good.
Use the current 24 year line up. It expires in a week anyway. thumbsup

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:46 am

So whats your pick laurie?
Im going the whole nine yards and picking them to retain the 20 point dif at home.
I reckon this match has some GH specials to it.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:56 am

tell you what we have had a real warm spring to- day,the track will be hard and fast,but because the games are now so late there can still be abit of dew on the ball ,all up these will suit Australia rather than New Zealand.
If the likes of O'Connor and Ioane get the ball with any space outside they treat it like counter attacl ball. Also I have concerns about the defence around the ruck.
If ABs leave any opps in those two areas Australia will hurt us badly,Tighten them up and we can win by 10.
Put it this way the ABs have to do better than the Kiwis, currently 26 nil at half time.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 16 Oct 2011, 6:58 am

aucklandlaurie wrote: I think i've got these marsupials worked out.
Kangaroos to win,
Wallabys to lose....

Kangaroos to win is an understatement at the moment....

I was feeling quite confident about tonight but last night dreamed the AB's won by 10 (I'm hoping that since I'd had a few that maybe the old subconscious wasn't quite firing properly). Good luck to both team and here's hoping we get a genuine contest unlike last nights. No doubt this is the real final.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by aucklandlaurie Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:09 am

Full Credit the kiwis look like their preparation this week has consisted of a game of touch a couple of days ago and every thing else since has been done in the bar.

aucklandlaurie

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:24 am

Taylorman

You have admit, that this is it,80 minutes blood, sweat, and tears.
Whos tears? Who will have tears of joy, and who will have tears of sorrow? that is a tough one to answer, you could/should say New Zealand at home in eden park, no problem New Zealand win easy.

But this is a RWC and New Zealand have never beaten Australia in a RWC.
So theire is no certanty that either team will have an easy day.

It will be interesting to see who wins today.

Good luck to both teams.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by kingjohn7 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:27 am

gone for ABs +15. no result would shock me but fancy a strong performance tonight.

kingjohn7

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:27 am

Cheers maj.
In all honesty I think it will be a lesson for oz.
And all.
Gotta be confident. No time more than now.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Full Credit Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:28 am

Don't knock that preparation Laurie, that was our standard prep when I was playing.

Full Credit

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 7:59 am

Breaker, can we use this as the match thread?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:02 am

Geez full credit. Look how many points you owe us from the league!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:14 am

Ozzy3213 wrote:Breaker, can we use this as the match thread?

Yeah sure Pete - I'll change the title.

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:19 am

Is Beale definitely out now? That is a huge blow to Aus if he is.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:20 am

Hi ya linebreaker.
Nervous?
Brrrrrrrrrr.......is it cold in here... Shocked

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pal Joey Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:22 am

A bit nervous, Taylorman.

However just watching the league test, I feel a little better... Smile

Pal Joey
PJ
PJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:28 am

Pity its not being played between full strength sides.

I hope someone has give TGG his valium, this could be another really tense match...and lets face it its the real final.

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:30 am

Lets hope it is another great game...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

Adverts on ITV leading into this were for My Little Pony and toys for five year olds.

Was it an omen???? Shocked

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:46 am

I fancy Cruden to tear it up in this one and see the AB's home. I know it is a huge step up in class, but his form for Manawatu in the tail end of the ITM Cup was at times sublime.

Should have been in the squad from the start as he is a better player than Slade and can make things happen out there.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:48 am

Cowshot wrote:Adverts on ITV leading into this were for My Little Pony and toys for five year olds.

Was it an omen???? Shocked

..............................................................................................................................................................................................
Maybe it was telling the All Blacks that their is job for you selling childrens toys, if you dont win today. Sorry

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:49 am

maestegmafia wrote:Lets hope it is another great game...!

It cant be that great, wales cant lose this one Wink

Joking aside that was a corker yesterday regardless of the reason why. The play wasnt great but pure drama right to the end. Wales have been on the wrong end of a few of those in recent years...Irelands grand slam win, the south africa game etc

Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowshot Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:52 am

Maybe it was telling the All Blacks that their is job for you selling childrens toys, if you dont win today.

The tension is visibly aging Fitzy as we watch. I'm not sure his knees will last until half time!

Cowshot

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:52 am

Yes hes nippy alright.
Could star here. Read is key. So is weepu.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:58 am

Go on the ABs! Kiwi
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

Next 90 minutes will define henrys career so for his sake i hope they carry it off.
Cmon ab's.
Haka time!
Kapo!

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 16 Oct 2011, 8:59 am

Love the Haka.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next