The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

+56
Rava
orb
cursedsun
lostinwales
brennomac
nganboy
MunsterMac
D24tress
greybeard
stevetynant
Standulstermen
robbo277
TrailApe
21st Century Schizoid Man
Hound_of_Harrow
Knowsit17
Mickado
tecphobe
welshy824
Pal Joey
englandglory4ever
fa0019
RuggerRadge2611
iso
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
BATH_BTGOG
trebellbobaggins
flyhalffactory
B91212
nathan
maestegmafia
Biltong
EnglishReign
Cowshot
Dave.
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
WillyGilly
Notch
SGD prop
Portnoy
boomeranga
TheGreyGhost
rodders
Cari
Thomond
eirebilly
Ozzy3213
Artful_Dodger
dubh_linn
Glas a du
Taylorman
HammerofThunor
Gatts
aucklandlaurie
Gibson
60 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  - Page 11 Empty Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by Gibson Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

First topic message reminder :

After 4 years of waiting, team building and anguish. This game has finally come. A key game to decide who takes control of their own destiny, in this Rugby World Cup Pool and beyond.

Australia and Ireland have History in this comp. A long and close one. History says, Australia beat Ireland every time in this Cup. Albeit twice by 1 point.
Can Ireland beat a team, who I personally believe are the best team in the World right now? I doubt it. They are 2 years ahead of us in their squad development.
But, this Irish team has not performed for an age. Is this the game when Ireland wake up and show Kidney's winning hand? Have we been holding back for this one? I hope so.
Otherwise, Australia will run rough-shod over us and around us.

We are due a huge performance. And it helps our psyche that we are underdogs. A term I normally despise and refuse to accept, but it's true in this case.

For your delectation and to refresh the memory banks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftwqtYBpASs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvhHy6MFfi4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPOqXJbkPVs

Update:.
Pocock is out. Ioane is out. The odds have been altered drastically.
O' Brien is up against a rookie. Ben McCalman. A man even less experienced than him at 7. This is the winning and losing of this game in my opinion. The breakdown. An area Oz excel at. They bullied NZ there. Pocock did McCaw there. Not usual.

Can Ireland compete with the Oz backrow, with Ferris, O' Brien and Heaslip on our side? Can we stop and suppress the opportunities for Genia to do his thing and negate their brilliant back line? That possibility has now been increased, with the loss of the brilliant Pocock. How much so, we don't know yet. But, this will buy Ireland extra time and space to do their voodoo. If, in fact, they have it in them to do so. After a mediocre showing in 5 games leading up to it.

For Ireland: Kearney is back. Healy is Back. Sean O Brien is back. Key players, who were part of a side that demolished an English team chasing the SLAM.
It was the last time Ireland played to their full potential. All games since and before have been mediocre - over the last 2 years.

Aussie are a far superior, technical and cohesive side. No doubt about it. But with the loss to injury, of two key players, the pendulum has swung. It's game on.

Lineups.

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10935/index.html

Aussie update:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/teams/team=38/news/newsid=2051878.html

Irish update:
http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/matches/match=10935/index.html

Aussie, Irish and all other rugby-mad fans. It would be grand if we could have virtual-pints, mutual-respect, banter and craic on here. Before, during and after the game. Win lose or draw.

Enjoy the game. guinness

Last edited by Gibson on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 7:09 am; edited 19 times in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by boomeranga Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:32 pm

Congratulations Irish fans. That was a terrific performance and completely deserved result. Your defense rattled us and your forwards destroyed ours. Very impressed with the back row, but all your team were terrific. Ours, not so much. Absolutely gutted.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Ireland v Australia -  Live Match  thread.  - Page 11 Empty Re: Ireland v Australia - Live Match thread.

Post by Portnoy Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:33 pm

Cowshot wrote:Oh come on Portnoy - give them an hour or so before we start nitpicking Wink.

This is a huge, huge win for Ireland:

It's big monkey off the back. Not just a win, but Aussies without a single point in the second half? When did that last happen? It was a boa constrictor of a win!

In years to come, people might look back on this game as the moment when Ireland ceased to be a regional rugby power, and actually became a world rugby power. It seemed that significant to me.

Sorry Cowshot. You are entirely right. I loved the Irish win.

I've got a properly inquisitive mind. Sorry again.
Portnoy
Portnoy

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

Fair play to Les Kiss- the tactic Ireland have of holding the players up even when they don't get turnovers slows the ball down so much for the opposition its mostly made unuseable.

All Blacks aside the best performances in the tournament so far by Wales and now Ireland- fantastic stuff- now go and enjoy some dwarf tossing boys - you deserve it

and good luck to England and Wales tommorrow

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:35 pm

Portnoy wrote:
robbo277 wrote:The ref dealt with the Kearney high tackle on the pitch. I don't think it warranted more than a penalty, and that is exactly what the referee gave. No need for a citing.

I hope so. But just because the incident is dealt with on the pitch, does that mean that the citing committee doesn't get interested.

When a player gets stopped at the neck and his legs fly forward is problematical. And you'd have to ask Lawes if he agrees on the balance of recklessness.

The same happened to JP Peterson and Shane Williams last weekend and neither culprits were cited.

A high tackle as a player ducks in attack is wholly different to a citable malicious offence similar to the ones that other players that have been cited are serving their bans for.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

My mate flew to NZ on Thursday and is flying back tommorrow after the match - what a trip - could be Irelands gretest ever win

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

aucklandlaurie wrote: In a few hours time I'm off to Eden Park to hopefully see the Convicts give the Paddys a long overdue lesson in rugby....
Whistle

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:39 pm

Were people really disappointed with the ref yeah? I though t he was grand byt I am biased I suppose.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by D24tress Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:40 pm

I'm still shaking bloody gorgeous.

Ferris did his own impression of dwarf throwing on genia

D24tress

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

I actually thought he was pretty good. Hook etc butchered him for his referreeing of the scrum and then he said he got all the penalties right. I dont know.

The only call i felt he got wrong was the first Oz penalty as Alexander didnt have a bind. That being said we only saw one side of the scrum.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

If Pearson wore dungarees he would look like a lesbian

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:42 pm

Ah what a morning!!

And my prediction since the draw was made in 08 has come through.

Also think that I've been proven right in my observation during the week that the Aussies didn't really take us seriously enough.

I mean my 1 year old daughter knew that Ireland were going to use the choke tackle and yet Austrailia were totally shocked and clueless when Ireland used it.

Now I can go and clean my gutters with a smile on my face for the rest of the day!!

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:43 pm

I thought O'Brien was immense. Not to go all Sin on you guys but according to the stats he was our top tackler (same stats say Ferris only made 5 tackles so i dont know how accurate they are).

Our backrow bullied their opposite numbers which was great to see.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by nganboy Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

Well done Ireland.
Aus just didn't stand up enough in the forwards.
NZ showed how to beat them the other week by driving and doing lot of pick and go. The problem was once they drew even NZ started kicking it again.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 17 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm

A certain poster on here - Rob B, predicted a 30 point win for the Aussies...

hmm I wonder where he is now Smile

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

Classic Australian sports reporting from the Australian

"Ireland’s threed backrowers, Jamie Heaslip, Sean O’Brien and Stephen Ferris, by contrast, were constantly in the Wallabies faces and although at times they went offside with such regularity that referee Bryce Lawrence called advantage after advantage, they never desisted for the simple reason that they went virtually unpunished." and

"but not for the first time in this tournament they were given a lesson in how to manage the referee."

Shame the hacks haven't had as much good grace as most Posters to be honest- will be interesting to see what Irelands George Hook has to say after today aswel.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Had to say had mixed feelings when Tommy Bowe wsas haring down the piutch after that intercept as he would have screwed up my Ireland 1-10 pts win at a very nice 9-2 odds. Jeez that was awesome. Probably not fair to dish out ratings after a team performance like that but the star turns were entire front row (best game I've ever seen Best play), back row (Jamie H still to peak though unlike Ferris and O'Brien). Greg Feek take a bow as well.

God that lift and drive of Genia back 15 metres by Ferris was ossum as our yankee friends might describe it.

Now the pleasure of relieving Messrs Paddy Power of 90 yoyos!!! Also have a double running on the Dubs tomorrow so gtere';s hoping for a green and blue weekend double

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Just caught up with it and havnt read the thread so this has probably been seen before.

Great forward display by Ireland. SOB carrying terrific. Front row way on top.
The tactic of holding the guy up in the tackle was also very good - seemed like Oz played right into their hands there.

Didnt look that dangerous in attack though - it was all about aggressive defense

Think Oz missed Pocock big time

Still wonder if the best Irish player was a mr. Q Cooper....

Oh yes - last point - I hate the fuss there often is over the Ref but so far Lawrence all but ruined one game and very nearly messed this one up too - not that it had any bearing on the result. That time in the first half when Reddan went to pass and knocked the ball on on the offside Oz player with Oz getting the scrum being one that sticks in my mind

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:09 pm

Hound_of_Harrow wrote:
tecphobe wrote:paulie just being interviewed sure its only a pool game weve only played to our potential need to play like that every week.

Well done Ireland, but O'Connell makes a valid point.

Massively. We've two big games we've got to go and win now. Then we can start chatting about the knockouts!
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by cursedsun Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:13 pm

Well, finally got around to registering to the new 606 just to say..

Many congratulations to Ireland on their well played win. Just shows that sometimes valuing the pill can still be the right tactic - especially if the other teams pack isn't so effective up front.

cursedsun

Back to top Go down

Post by orb Sat 17 Sep 2011, 1:18 pm

Wow fantastic win, the pack was immense - whole team will come on leaps and bounds confidence wise after this. Great lift for everyone but we have to bring that intensity to the table every time for the rest of the tournment. Ireland abu! (but scrap that ridiclous "Irelands Call" for something half decent lol).

orb

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:01 pm

Notch wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:
tecphobe wrote:paulie just being interviewed sure its only a pool game weve only played to our potential need to play like that every week.

Massively. We've two big games we've got to go and win now. Then we can start chatting about the knockouts!

Enjoy it Notch - you still away?

I posted that comment because that is exactly the mindset that has so often been missing with Ireland; disappointingly, given the players at your disposal.

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Hound_of_Harrow Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:14 pm

Notch wrote:
Hound_of_Harrow wrote:

Hound_of_Harrow

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:17 pm

If I could have posted this morning I would have gone for an Ireland win by around nine points Wink

No I wouldn't Whistle

It was a great team performance and credit to all the players. Special credit to the couple of players who many (including myself) felt shouldn't have been on the starting lineup.

Like O'Connell said we need to put this type of performance in every game.
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Sep 2011, 2:52 pm

bloody hell I missed the first half because of work, came home at the start of the second then got dragged out to the new Smithys toy store opening in Swansea, so only just got the score!

Well done Ireland, now all you need to do is beat Wales, Fiji or Samoa to get to the semi finals!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:06 pm

Highlights on ITV at 4:30pm and again at 8pm for those based in the UK Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Cari wrote:Highlights on ITV at 4:30pm and again at 8pm for those based in the UK Smile

Might miss both I'm just off out to watch the Dragons V Aironi, I will watch it on ITV player later.
Thanks anyway though kiss
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:27 pm

That was plain and simply amazing! Was shaking with about 30 to go. Anytime Cooper or JOC got the ball my heart started pounding!

Thanks to all the neutrals who supported us and all the sound Aussies who are on here at the moment.

Just watchin it back again and Was going to do an Irish Player ratings article in a bit if no one else was???

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:33 pm

You might as well Pete, I bet the other Irish fans are either in bed or out celebrating Smile

Has everyone read this thread back? I just did, it's quite funny. Whoever said it would be framed and saved had a good point.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:35 pm

Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

What A Match!! Brilliant performence by us but, I can see us having an off day against Italy as things are never simple with Ireland. Still though keep playing like this with the right draw we could well get to the final Whistle

The only bad thing though that I would say is Sexton's kicking wasn't great but I think pete's thread would be the place for that. (btw pete it seems its always you who has to do these kind of things laughing )

Last edited by Irish Curry on Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:38 pm

Haha! I'll make sure I give Tommy really a good one for you Cari! Wink

Have to say DOC really up=-ed his game.
Looking back at it now BOD did a lot more in attack than he usual does with his support lines

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:40 pm

Irish Curry wrote: Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

What A Match!! Brilliant performence by us but, I can see us having an off day against Italy as things are never simple with Ireland. Still though keep playing like this with the right draw we could well get to the final Whistle

The only bad thing though that I would say is Sexton's kicking wasn't great but I think pete's thread would be the place for that. (btw pete it seems its always you who has to do these kind of things laughing )

Haha I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing haha!

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Curry Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:42 pm

[quote="pete (buachaill on eirne)"][quote="Irish Curry"] Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo Yahoo

The only bad thing though that I would say is Sexton's kicking wasn't great but I think pete's thread would be the place for that. (btw pete it seems its always you who has to do these kind of things laughing )[/quote]

Haha I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing haha![/quote]

Laugh
Irish Curry
Irish Curry

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Sat 17 Sep 2011, 3:44 pm

Well looks like I will never know!

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:03 pm

I would highly recommend heading to the Green and Gold Australia rugby site and reading a blog called "A Drunken Letter to the Wallabies".

In direct contrast to any of the gracious, dignified Aussies I have seen post on this forum, there is a highly entertaining spew of unreasoning, unfocussed rage and bile. He hates the Irish, the Wallabies, Robbie Deans. He's calling them out. Priceless.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:04 pm

Just watching the highlights now.

Tommy's run....got me emotional.

Speaking of emotional - bless ROG, he was almost weepy in his post-match interview.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:05 pm

There's a lot of wannabe Irish on here today! Laugh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:07 pm

I support Ireland (when they're not playing Wales) cause of Tommy (the Osprey). and he's a lovely bloke too.

And let's face it...it looks like quite a few other nations fans are glad to see Australia beaten!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:08 pm

Get on the bandwagon, the craic is lovely!

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:12 pm

Just had a read Don, thats pretty funny.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

Cari wrote:I support Ireland (when they're not playing Wales) cause of Tommy (the Osprey). and he's a lovely bloke too.

And let's face it...it looks like quite a few other nations fans are glad to see Australia beaten!

I'm not. It's probably either New Zealand in quarters or Ireland in the semi (assuming we get that far) Sad We've got a better record against Australia

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:48 pm

Me neither. I prefer Australia to Ireland anyway so I'd rather they had won.

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Sat 17 Sep 2011, 5:59 pm

Thunor - France could spoil the party for NZ again.... Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 17 Sep 2011, 6:06 pm

Do they play NZ before we play Scotland? And how do I feel about us throwing a game? Nah, couldn't do it. If we have to play Ireland we have to play Ireland. If it's the All Blacks so be it. To be honest I think Quarters should be minimum for all top 8 teams. After that who knows

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11