The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you define "greatness" in tennis?

+11
Faust
JuliusHMarx
barrystar
Jeremy_Kyle
socal1976
Josiah Maiestas
wow
Tenez
newballs
Mad for Chelsea
Leff
15 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

How do you define "greatness" in tennis? - Page 4 Empty How do you define "greatness" in tennis?

Post by Leff Wed 14 Sep 2011, 9:46 pm

First topic message reminder :

Do you define greatness by the number of titles? If so, Federer is the greatest.

Longevity?

Ability to win on all surfaces?

Winning ruthlessly in straight sets?

Quality of opposition during that era?

Not having bogeymen (if only you didn't face them in the draw, you could win the title)?

Federer - 6 Wimbledon, 5 US Open, 1 French, 4 Australian (only one French and that was when he didn't have to play Nadal)
Sampras - 7 W, 5 US, 0 Fr, 2 Aus (never a serious contender at the French)
Laver - 4 W, 2 US, 3 Fr, 2 Aus (two real grandslams; no man managed even one since)
Emerson - 2 W, 2 US, 2 Fr, 6 Aus (half of the titles were at the least-recognised Aus Open)
Nadal - 2 W, 1 US, 6 Fr, 1 Aus (6/10 titles French)
Borg - 5 W, 4 US, 6 Fr, 0 Aus (best winning percentage in majors entered; tough competition with Connors, MacEnroe, Lendl, and Vilas)
Connors - 2 W, 5 US, 4 Fr, 1 Aus (tough competition with Borg, MacEnroe, Lendl, and Vilas)

Leff

Back to top Go down

How do you define "greatness" in tennis? - Page 4 Empty Re: How do you define "greatness" in tennis?

Post by yloponom68 Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:20 am

yeah Leff, thanks for putting me right on that - still can't believe I erred on that one! Connors, never a Wimbledon champ! Uugh...thanks for picking me up...

Generally - interesting to see what "perspectives" some people put, as part of "greatness." Things I would never have thought of - don't necessarily agree with all of them, but that's one of the things that I do like about this - getting some points of view, opinions that are sometimes different from the "status quo."

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

How do you define "greatness" in tennis? - Page 4 Empty Re: How do you define "greatness" in tennis?

Post by Leff Sun 18 Sep 2011, 2:53 am

yloponom68 wrote: Generally - interesting to see what "perspectives" some people put, as part of "greatness." Things I would never have thought of - don't necessarily agree with all of them, but that's one of the things that I do like about this - getting some points of view, opinions that are sometimes different from the "status quo."

I am not a strongly opinionated person myself. My objective was to keep this an open topic and learn various perspectives. I now know a bit more about various perceptions of what is often called greatness.

This is a good forum, at least the tennis section. OK
JA606 wasn't quite as interesting.

Leff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4