The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best National Anthem Of The WC...

+28
nganboy
boomeranga
hawalsh
MunsterMac
brennomac
Smirnoffpriest
formerly known as Sam
Effervescing Elephant
damage_13
westisbest
Geordie
Cymroglan
doctor_grey
Full Credit
Shifty
Mr Fishpaste
alcoombe
welshy824
deadgoat
Breadvan
Knowsit17
Thomond
Cari
LondonTiger
maestegmafia
BigTrevsbigmac
Gatts
HammerofThunor
32 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best National Anthem Of The WC... - Page 2 Empty Best National Anthem Of The WC...

Post by Guest Sat 17 Sep 2011, 4:30 am

First topic message reminder :

Has to, surely, be the Argentinians'? You think it's finished...and then they start singing! Brilliant, beats Forza Italia in the passion ranks, and that's no mean feat.

Willing to listen to other, more obscure suggestions, but I think that's the best I've heard so far. GSTQ really does come across as possibly the most boring national anthem, moreso than usual now it's on the world stage. Best and worst? Suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Best National Anthem Of The WC... - Page 2 Empty Re: Best National Anthem Of The WC...

Post by boomeranga Tue 20 Sep 2011, 1:07 am

I envy the countries with anthems they can get worked up about. The oz one has words that while a bit on the weird side, express a sense of being lucky to have what we have, but the song itself is crud to try and get worked up with.

Probably a crime to admit, but I turn the telly up for God Save the Queen when sung at Twickenham.

boomeranga

Back to top Go down

Best National Anthem Of The WC... - Page 2 Empty Re: Best National Anthem Of The WC...

Post by nganboy Tue 20 Sep 2011, 4:54 am

The NZ one sounds better in Maori.
English is spoken around the world because America is doing business everywhere around the world.
nganboy
nganboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 20 Sep 2011, 5:11 am

I actually like the words of the oz one as its not about being blimn protected like poor wee undefended souls. Advance aust. fare or is it fair? Sounds more positive for its people than blmn god defending nz or saving the queen where we can picture the early oz settlers all boldly running around fending for themselves, fighting on while the kiwis and poms all huddling round under a wet yew tree hoping that god will come and defend us or save our queen. Blah!

whover wrote ours should be shot.

Musically ive always loved the french one. Especially the ending. That always gets you going. Especially when those big hairy french forwards are brought to tears with it. Damn them! Hug

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by damage_13 Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:52 am

most of the anthems are musical pieces with lyrics shoe-horned in. The recent made up ones are pretty awful too.

I always thought we should've nicked Holst: Jupiter I vow to Thee my country, but the IRB got there first mad

Land of Hope and Glory has too many high notes not achievable by anyone but a small boy.

(we're no longer full of Hope and Glory anymore anyway Sad )

damage_13

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Tue 20 Sep 2011, 9:55 am

Italy for me followed by Wales and Scotland
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:01 am

Agreed damage_13, I Vow To Thee would my preferred anthem alternative. Can't understand why the more pomp and religous Jerusalem and Hope & Glory always top the polls.

It's interesting that none of us and seemingly very few people like GSTQ, but when it became the first official national anthem countries around the world nicked the tune and put their own words to it.

Italian is the best at the WC for me. As people have already said, it's a fun, uplifting, energising tune that it feels very natural to sing along with. Seems quite representative of the Italian identity as well.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by dublin_dave Tue 20 Sep 2011, 11:05 am

the worst is ours by a country mile. cringe worthy diddleyidey sh1te. Phil Coulter is an absolute weapon. it is a complete embarrasment

My favourites are as follows : Argentinian, Russian, Italian, French, Welsh,

dublin_dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2