The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are your best fifteen players after this round...?

+12
Gibson
Geordie
Sgt_Pooly
Taylorman
Biltong
Bullsbok
rodders
Meflanker
Thomond
Dominic Dicoco
whocares
maestegmafia
16 posters

Go down

Who are your best fifteen players after this round...? Empty Who are your best fifteen players after this round...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:31 pm

Another round of great matches, Ireland Australia being the most thrilling for all.

Some teams are starting to really show their colours, demonstrating what we can expect of them over the remaining few weeks.

Who have been the players you rated best?

Let's see people post their own teams rather than nit picking other people's views.

Last edited by maestegmafia on Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who are your best fifteen players after this round...? Empty Re: Who are your best fifteen players after this round...?

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:42 pm

1. Steenkamp SA
2. Servat FRA
3. Kubrashvilli GEO
4. O'Callaghan IRE
5. O'Connell IRE
6. Kaino NZ
7. Burger SA
8. Spies SA
9. Fernandez ARG
10. Trinh Duc FRA
11. Toeva NZ
12. Steyn SA
13. O'Driscoll IRE
14. Williams NZ
15. Clerc FRA

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who are your best fifteen players after this round...? Empty Re: Who are your best fifteen players after this round...?

Post by whocares Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:1. Steenkamp SA
2. Servat FRA
3. Kubrashvilli GEO
4. O'Callaghan IRE
5. O'Connell IRE
6. Kaino NZ
7. Burger SA
8. Spies SA
9. Fernandez ARG
10. Trinh Duc FRA
11. Toeva NZ
12. Steyn SA
13. O'Driscoll IRE
14. Williams NZ
15. Clerc FRA

you seriously need to catch up with some sleep to have TD there! you sure you didnt meant sexton?

by the way, clerc plays 14.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:52 pm

Some very strange selections there as well as positional oddities. Were they just plucked out of the air?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dominic Dicoco Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:54 pm

1 - Healy
2 -
3 - Du Plessis
4 - Rossouw
5 - O'Connell
6 -
7 - O'Brien
8 - Picamoles
9 - Parra
10 - Steyn
11 -
12 - Nonu
13 -
14 - Bowe
15 - Gavin Williams

Based on just this week.
Would like to have Steenkamp and Roberts in there.

Dominic Dicoco

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:55 pm

whocares wrote:

you seriously need to catch up with some sleep to have TD there! you sure you didnt meant sexton?

Post your own team don't just criticise others.

I am sure I am not alone in saying that we would rather read your accolades far more than you pedantically and pointlessly nit picking mine.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:01 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
whocares wrote:

I am sure I am not alone in saying that we would rather read your accolades far more than you pedantically and pointlessly nit picking mine.

fair enough...intention wasnt to be harsh or anything, sorry if gave the wrong impression.
havent got time to watch all the games yet (difficlut to put a team based on the 3 games i saw)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:03 pm

whocares wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
whocares wrote:

fair enough...intention wasnt to be harsh or anything, sorry if gave the wrong impression.
havent got time to watch all the games yet (difficlut to put a team based on the 3 games i saw)

No problem mate...!

Maybe you could have said you only saw three games and select a xv from those six teams?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:20 pm

I would but since I missed on wales, NZ and 2nd half of england, it would be a SA-Ireland affair!
now have a whole afternoon to do some catch up!

Last edited by whocares on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:22 pm

whocares wrote:I would but since I missed on whales, NZ and 2nd half of england, it would be a SA-Ireland affair!
now have a whole afternoon to do some catch up!

Look forward to hearing your team later.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:24 pm

Sexton wouldn't be on a team of the week. You could have a few of the Irish pack on it though!

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Meflanker Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:46 pm

I haven't seen all the games yet but i will go by who I have seen

1. C Healy
2. W Servat
3. J Du Plessis
4. S Shaw
5. S Whitelock
6. J Kaino
7. M Gorgodze
8. L Picamoles
9. M Parra
10. J Sexton
11. A Tuilagi
12. M Nonu
13. M Tuilagi
14. V Clerc
15. I Toeava

Meflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:04 am

1. C Healy
2. B Du plessis
3. M Ross
4. H Russow
5. P O'Connell
6. J Kaino / S Ferris
7. S Warburton/ S O'Brien
8. L Picamoles
9. M Parra
10. M Steyn
11. D Ioane
12. J Roberts
13. M Nonu
14. V Clerc
15. C Beale
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:33 am

ok that what I come up with (just done with wales_samoa game)
for NZ, its very difficult to pick one particular player (although all their backs were class), the lack of defense from japan does not help.
the team of the weekend was SA, the performance of the weekend being Irish. this is kind of reflected in the below:

1 - Healy
2 - Best
3 - Du Plessis
4 - DOC
5 - Rossouw/POC
6 - Brussow
7 - SOB
8 - Heaslip / Picamoles (carpenter from canada was quite solid as well)
9 - Parra
10 - M Steyn / Flood
11 - Pietersen /Kahui
12 - Nonu / François Steyn
13 - Van der Merwe/conrad smith
14 - Clerc
15 - hpenny / foden

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:41 am

whocares wrote:ok that what I come up with (just done with wales_samoa game)
for NZ, its very difficult to pick one particular player (although all their backs were class), the lack of defense from japan does not help.
the team of the weekend was SA, the performance of the weekend being Irish. this is kind of reflected in the below:

1 - Healy
2 - Best
3 - Du Plessis
4 - DOC
5 - Rossouw/POC
6 - Brussow
7 - SOB
8 - Heaslip / Picamoles (carpenter from canada was quite solid as well)
9 - Parra
10 - M Steyn / Flood
11 - Pietersen /Kahui
12 - Nonu / François Steyn
13 - Van der Merwe/conrad smith
14 - Clerc
15 - hpenny / foden
Enjoy watching the games ?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:02 am

1 - Healy
2 - Best
3 - Du Plessis
4 - DOC
5 - Rossouw
6 - Brussow
7 - OBrien
8 - Heaslip
9 - Parra
10 - M Steyn
11 - Kahui
12 - Nonu / François Steyn/Jamie Roberts all had outstanding games cant be separated
13 - Jaque Fourie
14 - Clerc
15 - Toeava
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:18 pm

Great to see such even mixes of northern and southern hemisphere players.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:52 pm

The SA players worth a mention.

1. Gurthro Steenkamp - Great scrumming, defence and well executed try.
2. Bismarck du Plessis - Physical, demanding
3. J du Plessis- great scrumming and some great runs, huge on defence
5. Danie Rossouw - 120 running meters, great try, very physical
7. Schalk Burger - very physical, had some great distribution and drives
8. Pierre Spies - his best game for a long time
12. Frans Steyn - a revelation at 12, more attacking flair and huge drop
13. Jaque Fourie - in the form of his life
14. JP Pietersen- doesn't lok flash, but awesome on defence and attack.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:56 pm

biltongbek wrote:The SA players worth a mention.

Kind of missing the point of the thread there bill. This is a multinational pick n mix, and the Bok are not good enough to have 9 out of 15 players as the best in their position at this world cup.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
biltongbek wrote:The SA players worth a mention.

Kind of missing the point of the thread there bill. This is a multinational pick n mix, and the Bok are not good enough to have 9 out of 15 players as the best in their position at this world cup.

I am aware of that, from what i have seen very few are rating Jaque Fourie as an example, and this man is on fire. I leave the who's best to those who know, I just put the SA nominations in. Wink
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Yes Fourie has been great so far. I'm looking for him every time the ball goes near him. He's the threat against us in the backs if we meet.

Not a lot of Kiwis in the listgiven their results though we have won a couple of easy matches. Doesn't mean they're not still good players Laugh

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:00 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes Fourie has been great so far. I'm looking for him every time the ball goes near him. He's the threat against us in the backs if we meet.

Not a lot of Kiwis in the listgiven their results though we have won a couple of easy matches. Doesn't mean they're not still good players Laugh
There is a few Kiwis in everyone bar Biltongs list.

Kaino had a great game, Kahui and Toeava were very good too. I like the look of Ellis at 9 for the ABs too. seems faster than Cowan and Weepu

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Taylorman wrote:Yes Fourie has been great so far. I'm looking for him every time the ball goes near him. He's the threat against us in the backs if we meet.

not to worry - am pretty sure there will be a lot of Kiwis in next weekend best XV Wink

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Can't comment on Wales game but from what I saw over the weekend:

1. Healy - Solid set-piece and animal around the park, becoming top draw
2. Servat - Getting back to some top form after injury, best basics hook about
3. J.Du Plessis - not a massive fan but he's nailing the TH berth and impressing
4. Shaw - tough between DOC & Russouw but Shaw was standout in a not great England pack, was everywhere
5. POC - world class performance for Paulie, best 5 in world rugby right now?
6. O'Brien - I know he played OS but his game is pure BS, gave Ireland the platform and go forward, outstanding player
7. Brussow - Makes such a differnce to way SA play, great all round game and capped with chip to savour
8. Picamoles - Gave France a focus and made the hard yards, I didn't think Heaslip played that well tbh

9. Parra - The little genius is showing why he's one of the best 9's about, just keeps France ticking
10. Steyn - Flood and Sexton come close but the SA pivot is coming into some decent form at the right time, still like to see Lambie given a crack
11. Tuilagi - 3 tries and a constant physical threat, Kahui pushes close
12. Nonu - The Japanese will be having nightmares about Nonu, made yards and made so much space for NZ back 3
13. Smith - Fourie pushes close but the AB is just so god damn classy
14. Bowe - He needed this game and didn't disappoint, outstanding
15. Beale - One of the few shining lights in the Aus team, deserved more

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:50 am

Surely Marty pushed himself for a spot in the midfield. Looked very tidy.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 am

Great form team Pooly. I concur.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:03 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Can't comment on Wales game but from what I saw over the weekend:

No problem mate, only Warburton or Roberts might edge players out of your side.

Good team..

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:06 am

I would have had Roberts in there he has made yards against tough opposition.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:08 am

He'd have had to have been good to displace Nonu, he was terrifying!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:09 am

Watch rugby dump for highlights mate. first touch he went through the samoan midfield like a howitzer

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:12 am

Only seen the highlights of the Samoa game but Roberts was phenomenal against the boks.

Nonu has maybe been the player of the tournament so far though.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:13 am

Great team Pooly. I´d have Roussow in for Shaw. Has had to fill Matfield´s shoes which are big ones, literally and seems to be growing in confidence.

Kaino has stepped up to the plate in Read´s absence and has added bringing the ball up powerfully to his aggressive defence. But fair enough having an Irish lad in there after that performance.

I´d give Faletau at least an honourable mention at 8 just for that great display against the Boks. At just 20 he looked like a seasoned veteran in rich form. A great individual performance in a great team performance.

Shame about the Pisi injury as he would´ve been worth a shout as well at 10 I think.

Nice cosmopolitan team.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:14 am

Should we not take the opposition into consideration when we judge a players performance ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:18 am

Cymroglan wrote:Should we not take the opposition into consideration when we judge a players performance ?

Er not really otherwise there's no point.

For example I would go for Clerc ahead of Bowe based on his hatrick but you could argue Bowe was up against tougher opposition.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:24 am

roddersm wrote:
Cymroglan wrote:Should we not take the opposition into consideration when we judge a players performance ?

Er not really otherwise there's no point.

For example I would go for Clerc ahead of Bowe based on his hatrick but you could argue Bowe was up against tougher opposition.

Bowe didnt actually play very well... He looked slow and not his usual sharp self.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:29 am

maestegmafia wrote:Bowe didnt actually play very well... He looked slow and not his usual sharp self.

Hmm he doesn't look 100% match sharp but this is his 3rd game back from injury.

I thought he had a good game. He made a very good break in the 1st half which put us on the front foot.

That intercept at the end not only prevented an Australian losing bonus point but any chance of them winning the game. That was a phenomenal piece of play and maybe the most important play Bowe has made in his career to date.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:20 am

roddersm wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Bowe didnt actually play very well... He looked slow and not his usual sharp self.

Hmm he doesn't look 100% match sharp but this is his 3rd game back from injury.

I thought he had a good game. He made a very good break in the 1st half which put us on the front foot.

That intercept at the end not only prevented an Australian losing bonus point but any chance of them winning the game. That was a phenomenal piece of play and maybe the most important play Bowe has made in his career to date.

I was surprised he couldn't finish it off though, I'm sure i remember him being a lot quicker, you say he's injured?

As to that the team, I agree with Pooly's have to say Shaw deserves to be there, gave a locking masterclass on the weekend while the rest of the pack went to pieces and lasted the full 80, even captained for the final quarter.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:51 am

Form teams are always open to debate as people look at different things. I thought Bowe was immense, he was involved everywhere and kept AAC quiet all game.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:08 am

Pooly - I like your team choice there.

I would change Brussow for Gorgodze who was the outstanding 7 over the weekend, and I agree with Maesteg - Bowe was OK but but not at his best. Clerc gets my 14 shirt.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by kiakahaaotearoa Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:17 am

Guilford to bring on drinks.

kiakahaaotearoa

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:51 am

yappysnap wrote:
I was surprised he couldn't finish it off though, I'm sure i remember him being a lot quicker, you say he's injured?

No but hes just back from injury after missing a lot of the preseason. He did run 90 metres and to be fair James O'Conner is no slouch!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down