The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pointless!!!

+2
talkingpoint
bretmeharty
6 posters

Go down

Pointless!!! Empty Pointless!!!

Post by bretmeharty Wed 21 Sep 2011, 12:56 pm

So Del Rio goes over John Morrison in about 2 mins on raw to try and get the fans to believe he has a chance and looks strong going into the triple threat match, but after cowering from Cena for a month while champ then losing to him convincingly in his first title defence, now all of a sudden we're ment to believe that he is once again a credible challenger. Just to try to sell the PPV. (um....backwards if you ask me Cat champ - strong challenger )

How about this, wwe have strong character development, try and make some new stars/main eventers and its fine if they don't cut the mustard but at least give them half a chance with the booking. Then and only then the trend of PPV sales dropping may stop.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Pointless!!! Empty Re: Pointless!!!

Post by talkingpoint Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:04 pm

I absolutely agree - they did the same thing with Sheamus when he first became champ - they spent weeks building him up as a destroyer who ends peoples' careers and respects no-one and then as soon as he wins the title he turns into this sly, cowardly champion who's afraid to defend his title! It is illogical and makes no sense!

talkingpoint

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:05 pm

Looks to me like they are worried more about damaging the few main event stars they have and this makes it impossible to build any truly credible main eventers alongside them.

Reticent to have Del Rio beat Cena clean...well how else will he get over? He can't beat up on JoMo to look the real deal. Big wins need to be given to the midcard, but it seems there is a real reluctance to do so.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:16 pm

It just seems the way wwe book their heel champs these days. Swagger was a victim of this also, and I agree how can anyone expect to get over its ludicrous.
It seems there is an unwritten rule that once your in this club your untouchable, when will they (wwe) realise it doesn't hurt the product or the top guy to lose clean its more about the guy going over then the guy losing.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:30 pm

It's the way they book their heels. They're built up when they are challenging at the next PPV, but otherwise they are made to look weak (even moreso if they actually hold a title, presumably because WWE thinks its audience will stop watching if it looks like the heel has Cena's number). It's such a damaging way to book wrestling.

This is another good argument for the return of squash matches. If all the top stars wrestle each other on TV most weeks, they all end up doing jobs for each other and nobody gets over as a true threat. This is especially true of the upper midcard heels who take it in turns to be pushed for a month and then relegated back to the same place.

It's also the reason that matches are so hard to push outside the main events. Over the last couple of years we've seen so many interchangeable matches just thrown on Raw consisting of a combination from Ziggler, Miz, Kofi, Swagger, Truth, Del Rio, Morrison and Mysterio. The result now is that it would be really hard to come up with a single compelling match from that group of wrestlers, when they should be capable of quality upper midcard feuds that appeal to a portion of the PPV audience.

Del Rio against Morrison shouldn't be a one or two minute squash on Raw. It should be a feud that is stretched out over one or two PPVs.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by sodhat Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:41 pm

Following crips comment, I agree regarding the booking of the midcard. Hell, I don't even think I know who the IC/US champions are half the time.

The matches are thrown together with almost no thought and no back story. Just two moderately 'over' guys taking some time between the opening segment and the main event.

sodhat

Back to top Go down

Post by bretmeharty Wed 21 Sep 2011, 1:57 pm

Take Rhodes and Debiase for example, a segment on the smackdown before noc - thats it. Because they have 2 world title there is not enough time to build up the midcard look at 10 years ago they could dedicate 3/4 of a show because they had 4 hours of programming for just one title.

bretmeharty

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:00 pm

I have said before that in my opinion this is the main difference between the attitude era and this one.
When Beniot, Jericho, Guerreo won titles it was beliable, Because they looked strong during most of there matches, even when losing so giving people a chance to believe that they were creditable challangers in the 1st place.
Now it seems to me, win mitb, bemade to look completly weak as a champion, get beat first major ppv you compete in, oh and be blamed for any ratings fall, while it is conviently overlooked that you have been booked this way.
Cena didn't need the win the other night. And if he had lost, wouldn't they have made not only Del Rio look stronger, but also the storyline and the company in the long run.

Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by Luke Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:10 pm

Sorry forgot to add.
The talent is there at the moment, Bryan,Miz, Del rio, R truth, Christian, Ziggler, Morrison, Swagger, Punk the list goes on. And that is not including the top guys. So it's not like Wwe has problems in that department, so it can only be in creative.
And if you can't get excellent feuds etc from them, Then something is very wrong.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Best in the World Wed 21 Sep 2011, 6:48 pm

The WWE feel the need to include Cena,Orton all the time , because they are the faces of Raw and Smackdown , and the WWE. They dont care what happens to the up-and-comers , they guys who show good talent ie Ziggler for example - US Champ? He should have dropped it to Swagger at NOC IMO, then turned face and then be in the title hunt , he had a , what was it , about an hour reign as WHC on Smackdown - what a joke.
The Best in the World
The Best in the World

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down