The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pryor VS Chavez, 140

+5
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
TRUSSMAN66
captain carrantuohil
DaveVDK
9 posters

Go down

Pryor VS Chavez, 140 Empty Pryor VS Chavez, 140

Post by DaveVDK Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:31 pm

After reading the thread on whitaker v taylor, i came up with a fantasy light welterweight match up: Julio Cesar Chavez v Aaron Pryor.

Both have a very strong claim to being the best 140lb fighter of all time, Both fought with a relentless come forward style, Both possesed crunching power in both hands, and both had granite chins.

interested to hear peoples opinions on what is in my opinion one of the best fantasy matchups out there.

DaveVDK

Back to top Go down

Pryor VS Chavez, 140 Empty Re: Pryor VS Chavez, 140

Post by captain carrantuohil Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:34 pm

On the fence here. If you push me, I lean to Pryor, the naturally bigger man, who faced and beat another outstanding fighter who rose through the divisions in the shape of Arguello. No confidence in my pick, but Pryor by split decision in a barnstormer.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:39 pm

Think Chavez could fight on both front and back foots...Think he was more polished.....

Think Pryor's relentless swarming unorthodox style would be an eye opener for Chavez...

Both had great durability and good tanks...

Think Chavez would have great success to the body although Pryor might outwork him.......

Bruising battle and I can't see a KO however I'm going with Pryor just because I think Chavez best weight was 135 and Pryor's natural strength would get him a close decision as he might finish the stronger..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:48 pm

Pryor for me. He would frustrate Chavez and as we saw in the Randell fights when Chavez is not getting his way he becomes a cry baby. Pryor by descision,Chavez offers no respect afterwards.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Wed 21 Sep 2011, 7:57 pm

Pryor edges Chavez in a classic at 140 lb, for my money. I'd take slight issue with Truss' statement that Chavez was the more polished of the two - if anything, I think Pryor was the one who had that little bit more variety and thought behind his attacks, though it's debatable. Lots of ebb and flow, but Pryor stops Chavez very late on I reckon, with the scores more or less even at the time of the stoppage.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by tcribb Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:55 pm

Have rarely seen these pitched together in a fantasy match Dave, what a terrific contest, I honestly couldn't say how this would work out.

Chavez was a monster however as Captain mentioned earlier Pryor stood up to one of the finest punchers and astute boxers I've seen in Arguello. Can see both men having plenty of success, back and forth, Pryor had that un-conventional posture about him and I reckon he might just pull out a late stoppage win, with Chavez suffering from facial damage and being pulled put, love both fighters to bits, horrible to pick a winner and ultimately cracking fantasy fight you've dreamed up, extremely well matched, if they fought 10 times, I'd say 6-4 Pryor.
tcribb
tcribb

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Wed 21 Sep 2011, 10:59 pm

Pryor with a busted face gets the decision by a a tight UD, Natural strength, orthodox and quick. Monster fight.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SugarRayRussell (PBK) Wed 21 Sep 2011, 11:05 pm

This one has classic written all over it imo.

Back and forth fight but I could see Pryor who was the naturally bigger man and had a bit more variety to his game than Chavez winning a close decision. His swarming and somewhat strange style would be very tough for Chavez.

Although if Chavez could land enough body shots in the early rounds I could see him winning the later rounds and scraping a decision.

In the end I would go for Pryor to just edge a 5 fight series 3-2
SugarRayRussell (PBK)
SugarRayRussell (PBK)

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Thu 22 Sep 2011, 12:33 am

Have to go with Chavez, but only because he was the more proven over a long career, with wins over alot of top quality opponents. Pryor, for all his talent, was a bit untested for me- He is judged on the most part on his wins over Arguello but that's it- his lack of longevity meant that we didn't really see enough of him against a variety of opponents to prove he hard the mental toughness to back his talent and keep grinding out wins in the way Chavez did . The black bottle incident hints of a lack of self belief/ mental toughness, so gun to head Chavez by late stoppage, whilst behind on points. But it's even money if the truth be told

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down