The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned

+58
Glas a du
GLove39
Irishhoneymonster
doctor_grey
Gatts
tecphobe
GunsGerms
MrsP
perand25
radelven
mcrjfNo7
Cymroglan
Shifty
Jaysus
Mr Bounce
wulliam
the-goon
RubyGuby
Knowsit17
Notch
HammerofThunor
Dorothy_Mantooth
greybeard
Submachine
Rory_Gallagher
Mercurio
HongKongCherry
Higher_Ground
MBTGOG
sirBiggles
SolvableKnave
clivemcl
BATH_BTGOG
The Great Aukster
MunsterMac
whocares
Biltong
Cari
debaters1
red_stag
fa0019
TycroesOsprey
kiakahaaotearoa
Luckless Pedestrian
rodders
offload
D24tress
RuggerRadge2611
propdavid_london
Davie
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
rugbyfan
Rollmeister
screamingaddabs
formerly known as Sam
andy powells minder
Geordie
Artful_Dodger
62 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned - Page 2 Empty Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned

Post by Artful_Dodger Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

My two cents on this is that the guy is an absolute clown - he wants international rugby to ban Sunday matches because he cant play on Sundays due to his faith - unbelievable.

"I don't see why there have to be games on Sundays," said Murray. "I hope things will change in future."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/15016776.stm

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned - Page 2 Empty Re: Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned

Post by offload Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:31 pm

This thread may have become a little "inflamed" but I can't see that too many opposing views have been expressed.

Most posters have said - believe what you want, don't impose on others. And yes, the BBC headline writer took a bit of liberty, but what headline writter doesn't.
offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned - Page 2 Empty Re: Euan Murray wants Sunday matches banned

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:32 pm

The title of the article is "euan murray questions sunday matches" I would call that a stretch but as for banning thats a joke. Of course I can blame the beeb for that not you.

even so its a nothing article, its up there with dwarf throwing as a pointless example of tabloid reporting in this world cup.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:33 pm

Let's face it if an all knowing, all wise God exists he's probably up there wondering what all the fuss is about and mumbleing to himself that he dosen't remember telling anyone not to play sport on a Sunday.

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm

BATH_BTGOG wrote:Why doen't he just play and give his match fee to charity!
As an Atheist I just don't get it.

Cause it ain't about that.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by offload Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:35 pm

"even so its a nothing article, its up there with dwarf throwing as a pointless example of tabloid reporting in this world cup.."

Surely you're not suggesting that dwarfs can't be thrown on Sunday's too - that's just not fair. Wink

offload
offload

Back to top Go down

Post by Higher_Ground Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:38 pm

I've seen many threads on various forums debating the pros/cons of Friday night, or Sunday games, be it in the 6N or domestic leagues. I haven't however, seen anyone accused of being a 'clown' for suggesting that they don't like Friday night games because it's hard to attend because of work, or that they don't like Sunday games because they have to work the next day.
Murray says he doesn't like games because he's a Christian, and therefore he's a clown? Seems a few people are a bit ready to show their feelings about a few things that don't really relate to rugby.
He's not trying to force anything on anyone. He said he doesn't know why they have to play them on a Sunday, and hopes things change.

Higher_Ground

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:41 pm

Cari wrote:If that's his own personal belief (not to play on a Sunday) then fair enough. However, he can't expect everyone else to do the same though, surely? Look at the non-professional sports that go on - they have only Saturdays and Sundays to play their games, what are they expected to do - wear themselves down during the week so that they can have Sundays off? I don't know what Murray would do if he played in Ireland's GAA - most of their games are held on Sunday afternoons.

Also, I hope he's not hypercritical by using shops, cafes and the like on Sundays - surely the people who work in them should have Sundays off too in his view?

"The 29-year-old has told how he even snubs coffee or dinner invitations on the Sabbath as he does not want to "encourage other people to work"."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/rugby-news/2009/12/21/scotland-star-euan-murray-explains-why-he-won-t-play-rugby-for-scotland-on-sundays-86908-21913270/

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:41 pm

offload wrote:"even so its a nothing article, its up there with dwarf throwing as a pointless example of tabloid reporting in this world cup.."

Surely you're not suggesting that dwarfs can't be thrown on Sunday's too - that's just not fair. Wink

you win my vote for best post in the thread lol

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:43 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:I've seen many threads on various forums debating the pros/cons of Friday night, or Sunday games, be it in the 6N or domestic leagues. I haven't however, seen anyone accused of being a 'clown' for suggesting that they don't like Friday night games because it's hard to attend because of work, or that they don't like Sunday games because they have to work the next day.
Murray says he doesn't like games because he's a Christian, and therefore he's a clown? Seems a few people are a bit ready to show their feelings about a few things that don't really relate to rugby.
He's not trying to force anything on anyone. He said he doesn't know why they have to play them on a Sunday, and hopes things change.

clap

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Double Post

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:47 pm

I have a lot of respect for Euan Murray for his stance, actually.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm in total agreement with Murray on this one. Sunday should be a day of rest and reflection on the gargantuan amount of alcohol consumed the day before. Games on a Sunday mean you go to work hung over Wink

Before I offend anyone too much. I admire Murray for standing up for his beliefs, however, we live in a diverse multi-faith world and sport needs to be completely impartial to any religeous, political or similar influences.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:49 pm

This Euan Murray bloke is an idiot AND surely a hypocrite, too.

He says he can't tear pages out of the bible just because it causes him problems, so that means he's OK with indiscriminate murder, Cuddle in a bad way, infanticide and slavery (amongst many other things).

Has he actually read the book he believes in 100%? What a clown.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:53 pm

FFS - why change r.a.p.e. to cuddle in a bad way?

If the suggestion is because it may cause problems for firewalls, etc. then the BBC website should be banned.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Higher_Ground wrote:I've seen many threads on various forums debating the pros/cons of Friday night, or Sunday games, be it in the 6N or domestic leagues. I haven't however, seen anyone accused of being a 'clown' for suggesting that they don't like Friday night games because it's hard to attend because of work, or that they don't like Sunday games because they have to work the next day.

I called him a clown in the mistaken belief that he had said that he thought matches should be banned on Sundays (not what he said as it turns out). If he had of said that (which he didn't) he would be a clown for trying to impose his views on others. As he is not saying that then I have no problem with him. I respect him for standing by his morals (even if I find them a little bizzarre) and he is within his rights to express that he would prefer games to not be on Sunday. The title of the article was misleading however (BBC fault) - I should've read the whole thing
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by debaters1 Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:01 pm

Tosprey,

Saying he wishes sunday matches stop happening is a suggestion. If im asked about say, compulsory voting, and i give an opinion surely i am suggesting that said opinion should indeed be the case. murray said he hoped that Rwc matches wouldnt be on sundays in the future, if that isnt a suggestion then what is? absence of the wird suggestion doesnt not mean something is not being suggested.

debaters1

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:03 pm

Mercurio wrote:This Euan Murray bloke is an idiot AND surely a hypocrite, too.

He says he can't tear pages out of the bible just because it causes him problems, so that means he's OK with indiscriminate murder, Cuddle in a bad way, infanticide and slavery (amongst many other things).

I'm sorry, but what are you actually talking about?

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:03 pm

I remember a lad who played on my team when I was 15-16. He wansn't allowed have bare legs in public due to his religion (can't remember which). Anyway this is before those spandex, climabreeze, sweatwicki pants were about. He would wear full length sweat pants under his shorts tucked in to his socks.

He was a good player but on a warm day he would practically die of dehydration. On a wet day he could hardly move as he was all buched up and carrying extra kilos of water in his pants. On a cold day.... well he was fine, cos he played on the wing and he was nice and cosy.

Religion Ted, I just don't buy it.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 pm

Mercurio - there is a swear filter on the site which is there to stop offensive terms.

Once again agree with debaters. He is making a suggestion.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:04 pm

He is suggesting games should be on Sundays. No arguments about that.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:06 pm

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I disagree with Murray saying "I hope things will change in future", but that's not to say he can't be heard. Personally I hope one day religion will cease to exist, Ewan and I would have a great time discussing that over a nice chilled white.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:07 pm

I defended Euan a lot on the old 606 when people would criticise him for not playing on Sundays and for Robinson continuing to select him.

On the both fronts I still do. He is our best Tight-Head by far and he will be available for three of the four group games and possibly the Quarter final, depending on us getting there and where we finish in the group. I understand the argument about it looking how he is picking and choosing his matches and how that could affect the others in the squad. However everyone knows the score and the games he is missing is known months in advance, so its not like he is saying four days before a game, "nah, don't fancy it this weekend".

Would any country leave one of their best and one of the very few truly world class performer they have out of their squad, because they knew he would miss ONE game in the tournament? Cross and Low both have had ample chances to take his starting role and they could not.

Some people have made the "if I tell my boss I can't work Monday's what would happen to me?" type comparisons and I don't think they are necessarily fair. For a start your boss may say that's fine, work extra hours the other days or work Saturdays. Chances are he/she will tell you to look for another job. That's no different to what Euan did, Northampton chose to let him go and the Falcons decided to employ him.

Euan's comments do appear to have been sensationalised somewhat, however I do think that he would do well to stay away from these kind of questions as his answer is always going to end up look like he is preaching or worse questioning others beliefs.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:
Mercurio wrote:This Euan Murray bloke is an idiot AND surely a hypocrite, too.

I'm sorry, but what are you actually talking about?

Have you not read the article? If not, you should do and it will make complete sense.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:15 pm

red_stag wrote:Mercurio - there is a swear filter on the site which is there to stop offensive terms.

Once again agree with debaters. He is making a suggestion.
Why on earth is r.a.p.e an offensive term?

Is murder subjected to filtering?

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:16 pm

I have, it was about his choice of not playing rugby on a sunday and his questioning of why it has to be played on a sunday. The rest of the rubbish you talk about and your accusation of him being a hypocrite is just nonsense.

EDIT - Unless this is just the all christians are hypocrites argument, which I'm not getting into thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Rory, I would imagine it was in response to his not treating his religion as a pic'n'mix. In which case, as pointed out, the bible has a number of less than savoury chapters and Ewan would be better off getting the scoop.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:26 pm

And I guess you would know better than Euan, someone who obviously studies it a great deal and believes in what he reads? This isn't the place for this sort of argument anyway but calling someone a hypocrite for their beliefs and an idiot is pretty harsh whatever way you look at it.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 pm

PM for Clive

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:28 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I have, it was about his choice of not playing rugby on a sunday and his questioning of why it has to be played on a sunday. The rest of the rubbish you talk about and your accusation of him being a hypocrite is just nonsense.

EDIT - Unless this is just the all christians are hypocrites argument, which I'm not getting into thumbsup

If you've read the article and still don't understand the points made in my post, I don't think there's anything to be gained in explaining it further to you.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:30 pm

That's fine because I don't really want to hear it mate Smile

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:And I guess you would know better than Euan, someone who obviously studies it a great deal and believes in what he reads? This isn't the place for this sort of argument anyway but calling someone a hypocrite for their beliefs and an idiot is pretty harsh whatever way you look at it.

What are you going on about?

He is an idiot for believing in such stuff. I'm happy to change my view if you provide evidence God exists.

And he is an hypocrite unless, of course, he finds all those acts in the Bible acceptable. If so, then I'll take back my hypocrite claim.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

I'm sure there is a good atheist forum somewhere on the internet which you can find and discuss this, but this is a rugby forum so unless you are talking about Brian O'Driscoll I would stop this debate now thumbsup

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:37 pm

Mercurio wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:And I guess you would know better than Euan, someone who obviously studies it a great deal and believes in what he reads? This isn't the place for this sort of argument anyway but calling someone a hypocrite for their beliefs and an idiot is pretty harsh whatever way you look at it.

He is an idiot for believing in such stuff. I'm happy to change my view if you provide evidence God exists.

And he is an hypocrite unless, of course, he finds all those acts in the Bible acceptable. If so, then I'll take back my hypocrite claim.

So you don't know whether he is a hypocrite or not? Guilty until proven innocent?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:38 pm

MBTGOG wrote:Guilty until proven innocent?

It worked for the inquisition! Laugh

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:40 pm

So I asked my priest "What is the best way to get to Paradise?"
He says "Turn right and go straight."

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:41 pm

MBTGOG wrote:
Mercurio wrote:

So you don't know whether he is a hypocrite or not? Guilty until proven innocent?

Are you being serious?

He's either:

A) a hypocrite, or

B) someone who finds all the bad things his 'God' did in the Bible acceptable.

Whichever one it is, the bloke's a clown.

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 pm

No Mercurio, you're going away from what I was asking. You called him a hypocrite and I'm saying you have no reason to know if he is or not.

And please stop calling him a clown.

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:44 pm

Saw this at a funeral
Here lies an atheist, all dressed up and nowhere to go

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:47 pm

Submachine wrote:Saw this at a funeral

laughing

But seriously, Mercurio, you're arrogance that someone who doesn't share your beliefs or lack of it is a clown/idiot/whatever, is astounding.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:49 pm

But if Murray is entitled to his belief, isn't Mercurio entitled to his? There are worse things than being called clown.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by screamingaddabs Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

That's actually moderately amusing - well done! The best gravestone ever though is definitely Spike Milligans: "I told you I was ill!"
screamingaddabs
screamingaddabs

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:50 pm

Submachine wrote:So I asked my priest "What is the best way to get to Paradise?"
He says "Turn right and go straight."

Laugh Brilliant! clap
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercurio Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 pm

MBTGOG wrote:No Mercurio, you're going away from what I was asking. You called him a hypocrite and I'm saying you have no reason to know if he is or not.

And please stop calling him a clown.

Did you miss my previous post?

Whether he is A or B doesn't matter to me. I made an assumption that he was a hypocrite as that was the lesser offence. If he believes incesticide is appropriate then he's a bigger Kumquat than I originally gave him credit for.

A = Clown

B = Clown

Mercurio

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:51 pm

The Reverend Ian Paisley one asked a young Belfast boy the way to Ravenhill. When the boy had told him, Dr. Paidley thanked him and said, "If you'll come to the Church this evening, you can hear me telling everyone how to get to Heaven."

"I don't think I'll be there," the boy said. "You don't even know your way to the rugby ground."

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 pm

greybeard wrote:But if Murray is entitled to his belief, isn't Mercurio entitled to his? There are worse things than being called clown.

Of course he is, but I don't see Murray 1) putting his beliefs onto others as some have suggested or 2) insulting people who don't agree with him. I don't actually care if Mercurio believes or not, but when he insults somebody for having different beliefs he is just making himself look bad.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by MBTGOG Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:53 pm

greybeard wrote:But if Murray is entitled to his belief, isn't Mercurio entitled to his? There are worse things than being called clown.

Then it's alright if I call Mercurio a clown for his beliefs?

MBTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:54 pm

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I'm sure there is a good atheist forum somewhere on the internet which you can find and discuss this, but this is a rugby forum so unless you are talking about Brian O'Driscoll I would stop this debate now thumbsup

+ 1. This is a rugby forum and not the place to discuss the merits of Christianity or any other religon. Catch yourself on sir! zen
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:54 pm

I believe people who believe in a flat earth are clowns, I don't care if they get insulted by that.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:54 pm

MBTGOG wrote:

Then it's alright if I call Mercurio a clown for his beliefs?

If you like.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:55 pm

At least they were honest.

I think what Mercurio is this

http://www.evilbible.com/

Either Murray believes this sort of stuff is right (which would make him a reasonable unpleasant person in my book) or he picks and chooses and is a hypocrite.

Regarding the Sunday thing,I'm reasonable sure,but not certain that you should devote a day a week to rest. It doesn't have to be a Sunday,that was just picked as an arbitrary day for collective worship. He choose to set aside Mondays and take no part in games or training on that day. That would fit better with a rugby career and be acceptable for Christianity.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next