The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

+21
rodders
DRAGONONPARADE
GavinDragon
Artful_Dodger
greybeard
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
Impossible Standards
munkian
Standulstermen
manofgwent
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
Shifty
Kingshu
red_stag
youngguns6
Notch
marty2086
WillyGilly
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  Empty Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

Post by WillyGilly Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 13:19

And thus begins my first topic on v2.

Ulster squad up. Cave and IH in contention to return to action.

ULSTER SQUAD FORWARDS

Jerry Cronin, Conor Carey, Paddy McAllister, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, Andi Kyriacou, John Burns, Niall Annett, Nigel Brady, Tim Barker, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Neil McComb, Pedrie Wannenburg, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (captain), Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

ULSTER SQUAD BACKS

Paul Marshall, Blane McIlroy, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, James McKinney, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Craig Gilroy, Conor Gaston, Jared Payne, Adam D’Arcy 

Bigger and better performance required from the forwards.

WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  Empty Re: Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

Post by marty2086 Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 13:25

Hopefully they received a good kick up the backside over the last few days just didn't learn against the Ospreys

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 13:27

Yeah, need to step it up in every level really. Last week was disappointing not because of the defeat or the lack of points, but the fact we know the team performed short of what they are capable of.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:14

Tidy looking squad, I'm looking forward to this one. Normaly a close game and i think (or is that hope) the dragons will just have enough at home although unless the medics work miracles we will have a very inexperienced backline. Oh and we've got no props!!

4 out of our first 5 games v Irish oposition. That's never going to be easy.

With my heart ruling my head I'm going for a dragons win 23-18. Best of luck!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:41

Jeez lads relax its only the Dragons

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  1606482304 Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  2211252749
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:56

red_stag wrote:Jeez lads relax its only the Dragons

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  1606482304 Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  2211252749

I hate to say this, but I agree. You're still a berk though boxing

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 15:59

I know Rev.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 16:05

I think it'll be an Ulster win here,

Dragons and Leinster seam to be the ones most affected by the world cup, not just in number of players or any thing, but by the quality to replace those missing, both teams are struggling with this.
(not dissing Leinsters younth but with so many missing they need a lot of quality players to cover for them and while they have some good quality cover players some of them arn't, and this is part of th ereason they are struggling)

For Dragons they are missing key players and the replacements just arn't near the same level.

think the current Ulster Squad is better than the Dragons squad, Dragons are tough at home but believe we can recover from last week, get a our game back and go out and win a tough game.

It's a bad run for the Dragons and I see them loseing this one as well, but it might work out for the best, get these games that you weren't likly to win out of the way when the team is week, and then when the internationals return can go on a really good run, and pick up lots of confidence, for the Welsh derbies and be the form team in the 2nd half of the season.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 16:33

I think the Dragons are a different team at home, also when I saw Ulster play last week against against the Ospreys they were pretty poor. As long as the Dragons don't go to sleep and get off to an awful start they have every chance of beating this Ulster team.

19-14 to Dragons for me Smile
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 16:39

AlynDavies wrote:I think the Dragons are a different team at home, also when I saw Ulster play last week against against the Ospreys they were pretty poor. As long as the Dragons don't go to sleep and get off to an awful start they have every chance of beating this Ulster team.

19-14 to Dragons for me Smile

True
Last week we were poor against the Ospreys, but the week before we were impressive against the Blues, its about putting the loss behind us.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 20:26

iHumph and Cave still out, apparently, which does not bode well. Still, I'd be tempted to let the same backline have a crack - let them start that upward curve. I said last week I'd want Whitten at 12 if Jackson was playing, but having started blooding Marshall, I'd rather give him a run of a couple of games.

Notice there are no less than four hookers named, as well, so there might be a questin mark over Kyriacou. Assumng these are the only issues, I'd go:

McAllister
Kyriacou/Brady
Fitzpatrick
Stevenson
Tuohy
Wannenburg
Faloon
Henry (c)
Marshall
Jackson
Whitten
L. Marshall
Spence
Gilroy
Payne

Cronin
Brady/Annett
Barker
Diack
Porter
McKinney
D'Arcy

Hopefully a bit more endeavour and canniness from the forwards would prevent a repeat of last week.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 20:52

Dragons squad.

Backs
Martyn Thomas, Matthew Pewtner, Mike Poole, Tonderai Chavhanga, Geraint O'Driscoll, Ashley Smith, Tom Riley, Matthew Jones, Jason Tovey, Joe Bedford, Wayne Evans

Forwards
Andrew Coombs, Darren Waters, Lewis Evans, Jevon Groves, Gavin Thomas, Rob Sidoli, Adam Jones, Sam Parry, Tom Willis, Rhys Buckley, Nathan Williams, Nathan Buck, Phil Price, Hugh Gustafson

Basically we will have a very unproven tighthead.

I'd like this side.

15 Martyn Thomas, 14 Tonderai Chavhanga, 13 Tom Riley, 12 Ash Smith, 11 Mike Poole, 10 Jason Tovey, 9 Wayne Evans (though I bet Edwards starts Bedford), 1 Phil Price, 2 Tom Willis, 3 Nathan Williams (though it could be Nathan Buck), 4 Adam Jones, 5 Rob Sidoli, 6 Lewis Evans, 7 Gavin Thomas, 8 Andrew Coombs (though maybe 6 and 8 swap).

Good to see Gus back in our squad and the Chav straight in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:01

I think that we have a better chance this week because the areas were we were really hurt were the breakdown and the scrum. I think you have to be respectful of how tough the Dragons are at Rodney Parade. They are very capable of raising their game and good sides have faltered there. All the same this is the kind of game we should be winning if we want to remain in the top four.

I think this is an absolutely key match for us; away from home against very difficult opponents. So far we've had two good home performances and two very poor away performances. Difference between a mid-table side and a Top 4 side is how you fare in these kind of games. To add to that, we're coming off the back of a performance that was well below the standards we are capable of.

Very important we get the performance and the win, even with all the players we are missing. I'd be inclined to start with McAllister and Fitzpatrick in the front row and the rest of the side remains the same if Humphreys and Cave are out.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:26

It's not really the kind of game you should be winning to be top four Notch. Munster and Ospreys are good for a loss at Dave (yeah that's right Stag) and it doesn't hurt their chances.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:36

I'd keep the same Ulster backline as last week. They did nothing wrong and looked better than the Ospreys.

The forwards looked rudderless trying to understand the ref, they need to be a lot smarter. If they concede penalties like that again Ulster will lose again.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:40

If your rivals are dropping points there it's even more important we pick some up! Smile

Funny kind of game with Humphreys out. A really inexperienced backline, but they did well last week although I thought Jackson really needed to play a territorial game. If they don't perform it'll be hard to be too critical of them given their age.

However there's no excuse for guys like Pedrie Wannenburg or Chris Henry to go missing like they did last week.

I know how dangerous the Dragons are, can't overemphasise my respect for them and if we win it will be an excellent result. I think it would give us a lot of momentum and confidence.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 22:46

Oh I know you respect "us" Notch. It was nice to have a dig at Stag though Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 23:09

I'd be happy with that team risca, I pray Evans is at 9! The tightheads a worrie and 13 withno Hughes is a weakness. Still think we will have enough.

I'd like to see Groves get 20min or just let him play for keys!

If chavs as fast still as fast as his youtube clips and he can run in rain toveys going to be kicking the ball in space all night!

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 23:18

Risca Rev wrote:Oh I know you respect "us" Notch. It was nice to have a dig at Stag though Wink

Isn't it always sure.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Tue 27 Sep 2011 - 23:25

It'll be close. We are a different proposition at the parade, but we only edged aironi because they were shockingly bad compared to the dragons pretty bad. On that performance we wouldn't have beaten any other rabies pro 12 team. I think we'll be a lot better on Friday and like young guns, I hope Bedford is as far away from Newport as possible. He's Poopie!
With the scarlets suffering like ourselves with such little experience in some area and the blues looking poor, even though they are still fielding hundreds of caps. The battle for HC has already started. I said we'd finish above the blues and I'll stand by that. Roll on November 4th!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 8:55

Has it been confirmed that Humph and Cave are out? I know the beeb have it that Cave is out but then he is included in the squad at the bottom.

If they are both out i would be tempted to bring Payne into 13 and play D'arcy at 15. Either that or keep the backline as is. the most important changes should come in the pack. Surely we cant go into this game playing two TH's. Im not certain about the fitness of McAllister but if he can play 30 last week he can play the first half here. start him with Declan Fitzpatrick and bring in Willie Faloon for Diack, moving Henry back to 8 where he impressed.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 10:16

Dragons have 12 injured and 5 on internastional leave.

Although crippled I hope we show enough spirit to edge this one
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 11:24

Dragons need to step up a gear this Friday or I can see us losing this one TBO. We've looked very unstructured at times, Ok can't comment on the Connacht performance as I didn't see it however that was a game where they let in some easy tries and lost in the last 25 mins.

Come on drags!
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 11:57

We were ok away in munster and poor in Leinster. Vrs aroni Otho k is the game thats got some fans worried but the players were droping like flys. To say we lack structure is harsh, tovey ended up with his 9 of injured and Lewis Evans in the centre! The weather was awful n aroni were playing for a point.

We will win on Friday.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 12:58

Injuries are going to be a big worry for the Dragons - especially as I imagine a lot of their WC players will come back either injured, knackered or off form (because of tiredness), and so won't really make an impact until just before they go back to Wales for the 6 Nations.

Scarlets had the same problem for the last 3 seasons, small squad and huge amounts of injuries - but at least when you get over your injuries you should have loads of good youngsters with experience challening your established players

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 13:06

Hopefully Chavanga will be Brew-esque and run in a fair amount of tries, hope Tovey has been practising his cross field kicks
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 13:15

As long as Chavanga doesn't get crocked (or Tovey for that matter).

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 13:42

Toveys for me is the the difference between us winning at home and loosing. We just can't create anything without him. Last season he was at 10 when we beattge blues and ospreays (and away!) but didn't play when we lost to the scarlets. The year before he was at 10 when we beat the ospreays but didn't play in our losses v the blues n scarlets. He gets some stick from some fans but he's a class act.

His kicking looks back to normal and as long as we can get some fit backs outside him were always a threat (at home)

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 14:11

He is class - but i think it's more critical he plays because your other options at 10 are so dire - you really need a good youngster coming through and challenging Tovey.

I do hope they bring him into the Wales team at FB as well - will be a great addition...

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 15:02

Hopfully when a few more players are fit steffan jones will push tovey for the 10 spot. Top points scorer in the prem last season and turned down more money at the ospreys...

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 15:09

I'd forgotten about Jones to be honest, it will be good if he, Tovey and most of the other important players can stay fit for the Dragons, but I'm not sure they will until at least next season.

But it's good that there are positive signs at the Dragons and that their playing good rugby and keeping hold of their youngsters. I think there'll be good things coming from this Dragons team, just not this season unfortunately

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 15:21

"But it's good that there are positive signs at the Dragons and that their playing good rugby and keeping hold of their youngsters. I think there'll be good things coming from this Dragons team, just not this season unfortunately"

Can't argue with that, totally agree

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 15:36

How does the new stand look anyway? I haven't managed to get down there yet. Is there a better bar/snack shop than in the old stand?

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Wed 28 Sep 2011 - 16:23

Looks great, im a Hazel terrace season ticket holder so I havnt been over that side (I will for the odd game). I didnt make it over early enough for a veer either as i had a rugbygane myself.
It's strange looking over at a new stand... I feel like I'm watching us on the telly with a flash stand in the background.

On the game I'm sticking with my 23-18 prediction.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 10:18

Its my first visit (not my last) this season to the revamped Dave and really excited and looking forward to it.

Our early fixtures haven't been kind with three visits to Ireland in four games so I am hoping we can get our second win of the season at home.

Has the new Dave lost any of its atmosphere now we gone posh Whistle
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 10:56

This'll be my first home league match of the season, Bedford, so we'll both find out tomorrow evening. I went to the Russia game and there wasn't much of an atmosphere, but that's to be expected for a pre-season friendly.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Impossible Standards Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 11:14

At the Aroni game the Hazel terrace was packed due to everyone going under the roof for shelter so the atmosphere started off really good. After a while the game went really flat and a lot of people just started chatting and I guess some lost interest. The new Bisley stand only had a few hundred in so it's difficult to gage how much that will add to the atmosphere.

Lets hope for a better turn out this week!

Go Dragons! Wales
Impossible Standards
Impossible Standards

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 11:48

Ulster team:

Ulster (15-9): A D'Arcy; C Gilroy, D Cave, N Spence, I Whitten; P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): D Fitzpatrick, N Brady, J Cronin, L Stevenson, D Tuohy, P Wannenburg, W Faloon, C Henry (c);
Replacements (16-23): A Kyriacou, K McCall, A Macklin, T Barker, R Diack, I Porter, J McKinney, C Gaston

Unavailable due to injury: Callum Black (neck), Ian Humphreys (shoulder), Jared Payne (dead leg), Darren Cave (hamstring)

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 11:59

Still no Dragons team announcement, but a great interview with Tonderai Chavhanga on the website:

http://www.newportgwentdragons.com/newsarticle.aspx?n=19253

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:00

Can anyone spot the deliberate mistake in the Ulster team?

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:02

Well unless there are two Darren Caves...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:46

I thought it was Darren Cave injuried, and a first start for dwayne cave, a new fella

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:46

Or Diane Cave.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by WillyGilly Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:46

I'll be honest, despite all the opptomistic dragons above I was expecting a comfortable Ulster win with our stars IH and Cave back. Not confident now at all. Backrow has better balance to it. Have a nasty suspicion dragons might sneak this.

Oh big shout out to young Kyle McCall in line for his senior debut tomorrow night. He was 2 years below me in school and was always a character. Hope he does the White shirt proud.
WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 12:58

Dragons:
Martyn Thomas, Tonderai Chavhanga, Tom Riley, Ashley Smith, Mike Poole, Jason Tovey, Wayne Evans, Nathan Williams, Tom Willis (c), Nathan Buck, Adam Jones, Rob Sidoli, Lewis Evans, Gavin Thomas, Andrew Coombs.

Replacements
Rhys Buckley, Phil Price, Kieron Jenkins* Darren Waters, Jevon Groves, Joe Bedford, Geraint O'Driscoll*, Matthew Jones.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 13:05

Thanks for that, Greybeard. Great to see Wayne Evans starting at scrum half.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 13:15

We can win this, but we won't win playing badly. I suppose thats our best available team, but it's Humphreys we can't afford to lose and we look seriously green. Dragons in a similar situation. Expect a low quality game thats close and could go either way.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 13:31

I think that front row will struggle - but the backs look pretty good. good to see W Evans and Tovey starting to get a lot of games together, lets hope neither get any injuries this season.

Dewch Man yr Dreigiau!

(Come on the Dragons)

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 13:44

Willy - McCall has a great build for a prop.

I'm assuming he's in as loosehead cover but I thought he only played on the tight side?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Sep 2011 - 15:06

I wouldn't say there's too many optimistic Dragons supporters Willy. It's probably more optimistic to expect a comfortable win at a place like Rodney Parade anyway.

Smirnoff, Wayne Evans has been on the bench a lot this season, partly due to niggles and partly due to Edwards' insistence on picking Joe Bedford.

I can't call this. We have real prop issues. I'm a bit confused that Gus was named in the original squad, but not the 23. I think it'll be a pretty decent atmosphere though. I can't wait for tomorrow to come.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next