The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

+21
rodders
DRAGONONPARADE
GavinDragon
Artful_Dodger
greybeard
Luckless Pedestrian
bedfordwelsh
Smirnoffpriest
Impossible Standards
munkian
Standulstermen
manofgwent
The Great Aukster
Don Alfonso
Shifty
Kingshu
red_stag
youngguns6
Notch
marty2086
WillyGilly
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  - Page 3 Empty Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

Post by WillyGilly Tue 27 Sep 2011, 1:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

And thus begins my first topic on v2.

Ulster squad up. Cave and IH in contention to return to action.

ULSTER SQUAD FORWARDS

Jerry Cronin, Conor Carey, Paddy McAllister, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, Andi Kyriacou, John Burns, Niall Annett, Nigel Brady, Tim Barker, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Neil McComb, Pedrie Wannenburg, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (captain), Willie Faloon, Robbie Diack

ULSTER SQUAD BACKS

Paul Marshall, Blane McIlroy, Ian Porter, Ian Humphreys, Paddy Jackson, James McKinney, Luke Marshall, Nevin Spence, Darren Cave, Ian Whitten, Craig Gilroy, Conor Gaston, Jared Payne, Adam D’Arcy 

Bigger and better performance required from the forwards.

WillyGilly
WillyGilly

Back to top Go down

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

Post by Standulstermen Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:33 am

I thought Wannenburg was ok as was Henry. Ok but no more. The others were to a man poor. Faloon for all his ability on the deck doesnt have the brain to no where and when to give away penalties.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Dragons vs Ulster 30th September  - Page 3 Empty Re: Dragons vs Ulster 30th September

Post by rodders Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:38 am

I think Wannenburg has flattered to decieve for too long. His hands are poor and he runs too upright into contact and gets turned over too easily.

I'd like to see Diack get a run at 8 and Henry play 6 with Faloon at 7. Wannenburg can provide impact from the bench.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 01 Oct 2011, 11:42 am

Not wildly against that Rodders but Diack isnt known for his physicality. Either way i cant see pedrie being offered a new contract. We need to look at a top quality 7.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 01 Oct 2011, 7:12 pm

Why wouldn't Wannenburg be offered an extension? When Ferris isn't there he is the only backrow left with any physicality (unless Tuohy plays there). Henry plays a smart game but doesn't put the opposition on the back foot. Faloon has been generally disappointing for a number of games now.

It's the front five that need to step up and with Best and Muller missing they have no direction or intensity although Macklin showed a lot of promise when he came on.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush to hype up Porter, his pass at times was just as wild as Marshall's and they both seem much of a muchness with good and not so good qualities.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Mon 03 Oct 2011, 1:51 pm

Lets take things in the correct perspective. Ulster were missing 9 players to the world cup yea? An a further three vital players in Humph cave and payne.
That makes 12 players who could quite likely be starting XV if it were HC in January.

Considering, It is possible out best starting backline is:

9 Pinnaer
10 Humph
11 Trimble
12 Wallace
13 Cave
14 Danielli
15 Payne

We had a seriously weak backline. I've decided to cool my jets in terms of the hype on the young players. Spence has started annoying me, he makes a break and once hes an inch over the gain line all he thinks about is the tryline. He really needs to work on this. And Luke Marshall, what has happened there? I know folk will say Humph is the big factor, but I couldnt see much wrong with Jacksons passing.

Out of interest, how much time will danielli be given before he comes back into contention at ulster?

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 03 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

I would have to add that the caliber of the players that the Dragons have lost to the world cup are far more of a hinderence to them than any other team that have lost players. The Dragons are not the strongest as it is, thats without loosing Lydiate, Falatua, Charteris, Burns, Brew. Ulster are more than capable of covering for their internationals, so are everybod else, but as people see the Dragons as more of Connachts level, loosing them players does put things into perspective. Would Connacht be at the top if it was not a world cup year ? I very much doubt it. So for the dragons to be still competitive when loosing their best players is still an achievement all in itself. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 10:47 am

LordDowlais wrote:I would have to add that the caliber of the players that the Dragons have lost to the world cup are far more of a hinderence to them than any other team that have lost players. The Dragons are not the strongest as it is, thats without loosing Lydiate, Falatua, Charteris, Burns, Brew. Ulster are more than capable of covering for their internationals, so are everybod else, but as people see the Dragons as more of Connachts level, loosing them players does put things into perspective. Would Connacht be at the top if it was not a world cup year ? I very much doubt it. So for the dragons to be still competitive when loosing their best players is still an achievement all in itself. thumbsup

dai own thumbsup
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Wed 05 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

While I agree that IMO Dragons are the team most affected by the WC, (in terms of replacing there missing players and injury), I don't think they are stuffering that much more than Ulster.

Taken into account we have a Small Squad and were missing

1 Tom Court
2 Best
3 John Afoa
4 Johann Muller
6 Ferris
9 Piennar
10 Humph
11 Trimble
12 Wallace
13 Cave
14 Danielli
15 Payne

You have to say we were suffering from the World cup very nearly as much. Those are some players to be missing and alot of them as well.

Well done to the Dragons though, didn't think you's would win this one.

When the WC palyers return I see you going on a run ( with WC players back and hardest games out of the way) and climbing up the table, and won't be the bottom Welsh region.

However I think the battle will be to see if you can finish above Connacht, They'll have build up a head start, and a poised to do well this year?

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3