The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VI Nations team of the week-end

5 posters

Go down

VI Nations team of the week-end Empty VI Nations team of the week-end

Post by Mad for Chelsea Sun 27 Feb 2011, 9:22 pm

Right ho, did this last time around and thought I'd give it another go. Firstly, I must say that I didn't watch the Ireland-Scotland game the whole way through as I was switching between that and the cricket, so haven't included many players from there. As such, I don't expect you all to agree with me. Anyway, here's the team.

Corbisiero - coped very well with Mas, having been called into action early on by an injury to Sheridan. Great prospect.
Rees - line-out throwing excellent, held the team together through a tough second half.
Castrogiovanni - followed his indifferent effort last week with a fantastic performance. Dominant at scrum time, always went forward with ball in hand and even showed good hands on occasion.

Deacon - best game for England. Big tackle count and strong work at the breakdown and in the loose.
Palmer - Simply immense. Great line-out work, fine defense and made the hard yards too. Makes the team for a second successive week.

Wood - continues to impress. Strong tackler, and made some good carries. Worked tirelessly at the breakdown.
Dusautoir - France's best player. Tackled hard as ever, worked hard at the breakdown, carried powerfully.
Parisse - world class n°8. Another stirring performance from the Italian skipper.

Reddan - wasn't a great week for scrum halves, but Reddan is a massive improvement on O'Leary. Good service, didn't overcomplicate things and ensured Ireland played the game on the front foot.
O'Gara - Excellent display. Kicked to the corners beautifully, such a calming presence. Even scored a try.

Clerc - kept Ashton quiet, no mean feat. Threatening with ball in hand, but France need to get him into the game more.
Lamont - brilliant try saving tackle on Fitzgerald and some strong running sees him make the team for the second week running.
Tindall - England's midfield general was back to his best. Fine carries, and an excellent defensive shift shutting out France.
Stoddard - Showed good strength for his try, and looked dangerous all afternoon.

Byrne - best game for Wales for a long time, got involved, looked dangerous, solid in defense and kicked well.

So what do you think?

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

VI Nations team of the week-end Empty Re: VI Nations team of the week-end

Post by Stevion Mon 28 Feb 2011, 1:21 pm

OK... Englishman here...

I would actually have Richie Gray in at lock, but probably easter in at no. 8. Parisee was good, but not quite as effective and I think Foden was awesome all day long, especially under the high ball!!!

I think that Foden/Ashton is actually a pair that should never play apart, the understanding is fantastic...

Stevion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 28 Feb 2011, 1:51 pm

Gray did indeed do very well in the bits I saw and by all accounts had a fantastic game. However, I'm loathe to split the England lock partnership which worked so well against France, so I'll stick to my guns while not really disagreeing with you Smile

Not sure about Easter at 8, he had a good game but was lucky not to be sin binned for a stupid penalty. Parisse showed great strength for his try, and had an excellent game all round again I think.

Foden and Byrne at full-back was a close call, Foden's try was an excellent finish (lovely hand off). He was out-jumped by Rougerie a couple of times, but can't hold that against him. Basically it was about 50-50 for me, I guess I didn't want to be seen to be showing too much pro-English bias.

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 04 Mar 2011, 2:24 pm

Glad to see you have Stodds in there. For me the impressive bit was not him scoring the try but him managing to stop the Italian flanker scoring from point blank. I don't think many wingers would have managed that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Fri 04 Mar 2011, 2:33 pm

Hi there new to the boards and a Scottish Supporter, Harsh on Richie Gray not to make that list between him and Lamont have been Scotlands best all tournament.

Sean O'Brian looked fantastic too, a lot like Johnnie Beattie was before his injury rampaging midfeild runs.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperialbigdave Sat 05 Mar 2011, 12:27 pm

cant really disagree with that
Imperialbigdave
Imperialbigdave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content