The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic?

3 posters

Go down

Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic? Empty Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic?

Post by hawkeye Thu 29 Sep 2011, 3:28 pm

Djokovic is a hero in Serbia and rightly so.

Being part of Serbias winning Davis Cup team in Belgrade was one of the highlights of Djokovics career. It has been talked of as a springboard for his amazing season in 2011.

It is not just on court where he recieves appreaciation.

The ATP World Tour No. 1 was recently named a National Ambassador for UNICEF in Serbia. Through his role, Djokovic will serve as an advocate for children’s rights and early childhood education.

“Through my work with UNICEF, I want to help Serbian children realise their dreams,” Djokovic said upon accepting the position in late August. “I want to help them understand that they have rights and that those rights should be protected. I want them to believe that anything is possible.”

http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2011/Charity/Djokovic-Makes-UNICEF-Field-Visit.aspx

I have often heard references (only half joking) of him becomming president of Serbia (hopefully when no longer playing...). His welcome in Belgrade after winning Wimbledon was remarkable. Serbia is a small country. Djokovic has become an extreemly big fish in a small pool. So far he has handled all the resulting pressure and expectation well. Remakably well for such a young man.

Moving on a year from Serbia's 2010 success in Davis Cup. The scenes this year in Belgrade were very different. Djokovic retired in tears whilst losing to Del Potro. It made me wonder how all the hero worship will affect Djokovics performance on court. Its easy when things go well but could hinder his performance when they don't. Djokovic IMO more than most players feeds on appreciation. The reverse may also be true. He will not want to dissapoint. He is under a lot of pressure.

Does Serbia expect too much from a 24 year old tennis player?

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic? Empty Re: Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic?

Post by Jahu Thu 29 Sep 2011, 11:08 pm

Let's see how his healing goes. Also if he loses badly in Paris or Barclays Finals, would his nerves hold for the start of next year and massive number of points he has to defend.

Getting injured in your own home turf hurts, but not being able to defend GS's he got this year in far flung places, will hurt even more.

And of course coming from a small country, you carry their hopes on your shoulders, more then most players.
Jahu
Jahu

Back to top Go down

Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic? Empty Re: Does Serbia Expect Too Much Of Djokovic?

Post by hawkeye Fri 30 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

I'm not the only one thinking along these lines. This from an article entitled "Novak Djokovic: Will the Serb Crumble Under All the Pressure?"

Clearly, many people in the tennis world have set the Serb's expectations for him; and they are outrageously high.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/865888-novak-djokovic-will-the-serb-crumble-under-all-the-pressure

Just learnt that Djokovic has pulled out of the China Open next week and is doubtful for the Shanhai masters. Physically he appears to be suffering the effects of such a great year too. All this makes me worry a little about him next year...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Josiah Maiestas Fri 30 Sep 2011, 3:15 pm

Some Srbijans have a "were better than you all" mentality when it comes to crowd, this way of thinking is not going to be beneficial for Novak, which is probably why he lives most of the year up in Monaco.

But, they would obviously understand he's had a terrific year.
Josiah Maiestas
Josiah Maiestas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down