The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia

+6
Chydremion
carrieg4
bogbrush
Henman Bill
LuvSports!
socal1976
10 posters

Go down

Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia Empty Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia

Post by socal1976 Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:26 pm

I understand that he is the most famous Serbian in the world right now, that he is actually a knighted lay person in the serbian orthodox church and that he is loved figure in his country. But his patriotism is hurting him, you already won the davis cup. Murray isn't playing davis cup, Roger isn't playing davis cup, Nadal really hasn't played this much Davis Cup; and neither should Novak. I think flying out from Australia to belgium to play a first round Davis Cup match is a very poor choice in his scheduling and will come back to bite him later in the season. The best way he can make the serbian fans happy is to stay number 1 for as long as possible. After that gruelling US open final I said he should shut it down for the season because he hurt his back against Nadal and was barely able to finish the match, at that time everyone laughed and said it was preposterous that he should play the indoor season. He goes out in Davis Cup and tears his back muscle after the most gruelling grandslam season imaginable. The travel and the 5 set matches in the first freaking round of davis cup are not needed. Relax till Dubai, collect your big appearance from the sheiks play a couple matches and head out for Indian Wells. Being number 1 for as long as possible is what is going to make Serbian fans happy. If Tipsy and Troicki can't beat belgium then oh well. If you get to the semis and you feel good at the end of the year ok play in the tie, if they don't oh well. His patriotism is hurting him and is actually misplaced, it would be smarter and more patriotic if he scheduled smartly and maintained the number 1 ranking while winning slams.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia Empty Re: Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia

Post by LuvSports! Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 pm

can you tell me if it is likely if i get my literature review done by this weekend?

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia Empty Re: Novak needs to stop playing Davis Cup for Serbia

Post by Henman Bill Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 pm

So he shouldn't represent his country but he should take some oil money?

Interesting to note top players that don't play Davis Cup because of a crowded schedule, but do have room in the schedule for exhibitions!

I think that the players should play Davis Cup and excuses about scheduling ring hollow as long as there are exhibition matches and 500s left in the schedule.

Also, I assume he would have flown back to Europe anyway even he hadn't played Davis Cup?

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:52 am

Have I ever mentioned that I think patriotism is idiotic and the Davis Cup irrelevant?
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:03 am

bogbrush wrote:Have I ever mentioned that I think patriotism is idiotic and the Davis Cup irrelevant?

Maybe once or twice BB Very Happy

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 am

bogbrush wrote:Have I ever mentioned that I think patriotism is idiotic and the Davis Cup irrelevant?

Davis cup isn't irrelevant it is a fun competition with a lot of history that produces some great matches, one of the best matches I have ever seen have been in Davis Cup. That being said after you have already won it, what exactly is the point of killing yourself in the first round against Belgium?

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:50 am

Novak not happy with Belgian clay courts.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by newballs Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:07 am

"The main reason I improved and starting winning slams is the experience I got from helping Serbia win the Davis Cup"

OK I can't claim to be quoting Novak word for word but everyone knows that is in effect what he went on record as feeling the Davis Cup did for him.

Murray on the other hand doesn't play Davis Cup if he feels it hurts his slam preparation. Can you guess who actually does/did the right things for that right reason. I'll give you a clue - his name wasn't Andy.

Now socal thinks it's wrong for Novak to play. Why? It certainly didn't hurt his game before and won't do know. And, by the way, before his injuries Rafa was a staunch member of the Spanish clay court team and it's only Federer of the original big three who regularly gave it a miss.

newballs

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:14 am

I have a lot of sympathy for your view but turning up for your country is still not a bad thing and I would still encourage it. I think excessive patriotism is not good, a little is certainly find. As long as you don't hate the other countries there's not problem with loving your own.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:21 am

Newballs he needs to focus on slams and the number 1 ranking, that is his best way to keep his fans happy. Davis cup is not an irrelevant competition all the greats have played in it and some of the best matches I have seen have been in DC, but really if serbia can't get by Belgium w/o Novak they don't deserve to win it anyway.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am

Yeah, keeping his fans happy must keep him awake at night. Rolling Eyes
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by carrieg4 Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:54 am

newballs wrote:"Murray on the other hand doesn't play Davis Cup if he feels it hurts his slam preparation. Can you guess who actually does/did the right things for that right reason. I'll give you a clue - his name wasn't Andy.

The obvious difference being that Serbia are in the world group so the DC experience will be against other highly rated players and help for slam prep. GB on the other hand.................

carrieg4

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:58 am

Djokovic wants to beat Rochus to fix his h2h. Laugh

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=D643&oId=R397

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by gboycottnut Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:55 am

Interesting that the Czech Rupublic have picked Lukas Rosol for their Davis Cup tie V Switzerland.

gboycottnut

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:09 am

Silly move to play on a court he deems at the most dangerous he has ever played on. Come on Novak you need to schedule better than this.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:17 am

I love it when tennis players talk about 'dangerous courts'.

So molly-coddled it's untrue.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:02 am

djlovesyou wrote:I love it when tennis players talk about 'dangerous courts'.

So molly-coddled it's untrue.

Do you recall Benneteau injuring himself at MC and referring to potholes or something akin? Player safety, without being overbearing, should be the order of the day. Wink

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by djlovesyou Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:09 am

Nah, top players get paid enough to cope with a little bit of 'danger'.

I always find it funny when the commentators get really dramatic when a player falls down, when essentially the poor little dear just slippied on his bum bum. The way they start talking it's as if his life might be in danger.

djlovesyou

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down