The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread

+3
Manky-Flanker
Cymroglan
Shifty
7 posters

Go down

Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread Empty Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread

Post by Shifty Sat 1 Oct - 19:45

Anyone else watching this? shambles
52 minutes gone blues 8 - 24 Glasgow!

The Blues don't remotely look interested in the game. I was deciding whether to go and see Swansea against Cardiff or this game today, I am glad I went to the Swansea game, the skills were higher and skill levels much higher.

Shocking effort from the Blues so far, and a nice boost for Scottish rugby.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread

Post by Shifty Sat 1 Oct - 19:56

13-24 now, but I think the blues have blown this match.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread Empty Re: Cardiff Blues Vs Glasgow - Match thread

Post by Cymroglan Sat 1 Oct - 20:06

Very poor game.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 1 Oct - 20:09

Cymroglan wrote:Very poor game.
Yeah you can see the fans walking out already. Look like I had another lucky escape laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat 1 Oct - 20:10

After that great Scrum a few mins ago, why did Glasgow not scrum again and try and get another try!

Need to be more ruthless!

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 1 Oct - 20:16

Full time, what a pathetic effort from the blues 13-34 at home!
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat 1 Oct - 20:18

Two good wins away, all we need now is to be able to win at home!

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 1 Oct - 20:46

Think you are being a bit harsh on a Glasgow team, which despite having one of the smallest budgets in the league and being missing 16 players, played very well. Granted Cardiff were poor, but I thought Glasgow stuck to their task well and considering how many first or second year pro's we had out their tonight it was an excellent result.

Now we are leaving Firhill at the end of the season, maybe the SRU should save on rent at Scotsoun and play all our games away from home.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat 1 Oct - 21:04

It was an excellent result, didn't mean to sound too critical Smile . I thought the defence was solid and the pack had a good day especially at the scrum. At about 68 mins in they managed to push the blues pack back about 15 metres back into their 22. Just thought they'd press their advantage at that juncture - but didn't.

DM, whats your view of Scotstoun as a venue?

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 1 Oct - 21:16

Manky-Flanker wrote:It was an excellent result, didn't mean to sound too critical Smile . I thought the defence was solid and the pack had a good day especially at the scrum. At about 68 mins in they managed to push the blues pack back about 15 metres back into their 22. Just thought they'd press their advantage at that juncture - but didn't.

DM, whats your view of Scotstoun as a venue?

Manky, my comments were not in response to your post, more the Cardiff fans who were having a go at their own team (understandable) without any hint of credit for Glasgow.

I am quite happy with Scotstoun, the running track is a concern in terms of viewing but apart from that its great. During the Rugby season its basically ours, a place to call home. Firhill is good as its well known in the Glasgow area which helps bringing in non traditional Rugby fans, but having spoken to a few people who have been working with the council, the move will save us a six figure sum, annually and as long as that is spent on our team and not to pay off the SRU debt that is great. The Council are desperate to have the venue used 52 weeks a year and will sort out the undersoil heating and bring the lights upto scratch.

For me Firhill is easier to get to, but a 5,000 ground is all we need for now.

What are your thoughts?

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Sat 1 Oct - 21:22

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Manky, my comments were not in response to your post, more the Cardiff fans who were having a go at their own team (understandable) without any hint of credit for Glasgow.
Sorry we are not used to having Scottish team fans to discuss Rabo direct games with, It's normally Irish an Welsh with a few English wummers. Erm

But yes well done to Glasgow, a good win for them, I'm still really glad I gave this game a miss though!

Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Sat 1 Oct - 21:32

AlynDavies wrote:
Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:Manky, my comments were not in response to your post, more the Cardiff fans who were having a go at their own team (understandable) without any hint of credit for Glasgow.
Sorry we are not used to having Scottish team fans to discuss Rabo direct games with, It's normally Irish an Welsh with a few English wummers. Erm

But yes well done to Glasgow, a good win for them, I'm still really glad I gave this game a miss though!

Fair point, there are not many of us! Braveheart

I know what you are saying about giving the game a miss, I have saw countless similar performances from Glasgow over the years, many of them against your lot! Dont worry you will have Dan back next week Whistle and he will be giving up the Scotland business when he lands back in the UK, so you will have him all year round....... thumbsup

On a side note, is the Glasgow strip the worst in Pro Rugby at the moment? It looks like last seaons strip that someone has allowed their cat to be sick on.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Sat 1 Oct - 21:34

I have only seen Scotstoun in pictures and as you say the running track will probably take some getting used to. Given the winter Glasgow had last year, I think that undersoil heating will be a must. I look forward to giving the new place a go.

As for the money saved, thats welcome news. Perhaps some of it could go towards marketing and growing GW's attendance. Anything that increases awareness and interest in the game will get my vote!

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 3 Oct - 6:33

Sorry - coming late to this thread but I was hoping there would be at least one post flagging an excellent result.

I have never been to Scotstoun but it looks excellent after the 2009 refurb. True, it's slightly harder to get to but it's nice part of town and I like the fact that it's near the Accies.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 3 Oct - 6:34

Dorothy_Mantooth wrote:
AlynDavies wrote:

On a side note, is the Glasgow strip the worst in Pro Rugby at the moment? It looks like last seaons strip that someone has allowed their cat to be sick on.

Dot - it's been a while.

Yes, it's sh!t awful and it's the first one that I'm not buying. Headscratch

I'll stick to the cotton t-shirts for running in the evening.

Last edited by George Carlin on Tue 4 Oct - 10:07; edited 1 time in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Mon 3 Oct - 21:42

Explanation from an expert required: win away at Leinster, lose at home to Treviso, win away at Cardiff? I don't get it Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 5 Oct - 11:27

Problem with Scotstoun is the lack of a bar, which Firhill had x2 for a great club atmosphere before and after. There is nothing down there unless they erect a Marquee type affair, which worked ok-ish at Hughenden. Also the atmosphere with the action over the running track is not great. That and access, which is abysmal, and there are a few of us none too happy.
21st Century Schizoid Man
21st Century Schizoid Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothy_Mantooth Wed 5 Oct - 12:52

21st Century Schizoid Man wrote:Problem with Scotstoun is the lack of a bar, which Firhill had x2 for a great club atmosphere before and after. There is nothing down there unless they erect a Marquee type affair, which worked ok-ish at Hughenden. Also the atmosphere with the action over the running track is not great. That and access, which is abysmal, and there are a few of us none too happy.

Hopefully they can sort something out at the new ground and hopefully get a deal where the Warriors keep things like money made from the Bar etc. At Firhill, Warriors/SRU don't see a penny from any profit from food and drink sales, before, during or after the match.

I think the main problem is going to be the running track (9 Lanes I believe). I think its too early to be over pessimist/optimistic until we hear all the details in full.

On a side note the SRU are looking for a more suitable venue for Edinburgh to play their games.

Dorothy_Mantooth

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 5 Oct - 13:15

Surely, surely they can put tier 1 loose seating over the track?
I've never managed to figure out why they never did that in Murrayfield and rope off the upper tiers in the stands.

I have always just assumed that they'll sort out a bar in Scotstoun. Lord almighty, it must be easy, surely?

No idea where Edinburgh will play though - they've been scrambling for a solution for years. I honestly believe that the training pitches outside the ground should be adapted and a grandstand built.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Wed 5 Oct - 18:50

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Explanation from an expert required: win away at Leinster, lose at home to Treviso, win away at Cardiff? I don't get it Headscratch
Scottish consistency? Whistle
Raise your game to play a side you shouldn't beat then play like cack in front of your own fans! laughing
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down