The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

+37
HERSH
Seagultaf
Liam
glamorganalun
majesticimperialman
GLove39
Imperialbigdave
TJ1
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
Looseheaded
bsando
Artful_Dodger
LondonTiger
doctornickolas
Janecory
maestegmafia
Knowsit17
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
LordDowlais
reallybored
Coleman
tigertattie
youngguns6
XR
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
overlordofthewest
wales606
Cari
thebluesmancometh
justified sinner
RDW
gowales
George Carlin
41 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread Empty Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by George Carlin Wed 5 Sep - 14:22

No thread about this yet (I don't think), so let's get this started:

7 September 2012
Venue:
Cardiff Arms Park Wales
Kick off: 7.05 pm
Coverage: live on BBC Wales

Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell, Jason Langdon (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
TMO: Neil Ballard (WRU)

Teams:

Blues:

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Gavin Evans
12. Dafydd Hewitt
11. Tom James

10. Ceri Sweeney
9. Lewis Jones

1. Taufa'ao Filise
2. Rhys Williams
3. Benoit Bourrust
4. Bradley Davies
5. James Down
6. Josh Navidi
7. Sam Warburton
8. Andries Pretorius (c)

Substitutes:

16. Marc Breeze
17. Nathan Trevett
18. Thomas Davies
19. Lou Reed
20. Luke Hamilton
21. Lloyd Williams
22. Rhys Patchell
23. Thomas Williams

Edinburgh:

15 Greig Tonks
14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 John Houston
11 Tim Visser

10 Greig Laidlaw (c)
9 Richie Rees

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Sean Cox
6 David Denton
7 Roddy Grant
8 Stuart McInally

Substitutes:
16 Andy Titterrell
17 John Yapp
18 Willem Nel
19 Perry Parker
20 Netani Talei
21 Chris Leck
22 Gregor Hunter
23 Sep Visser

Unavailable:
Ben Atiga (hip)
Tom Brown (hamstring strain)
Ben Cairns (knee)
Steven Lawrie (knee)
Matt Scott (pre-season)
Steven Turnbull (shoulder)

This game is always a cracker and lovely to be back at the spiritual home of the Blues.

Form:

1. Cardiff:

Blues, of course, began the new season with a 13-9 victory in Connacht.

They won both matches they played at the Arms Park last season (against Connacht and Ulster) and won their opening two encounters last season.

2. Edinburgh:

Edinburgh had to settle for a losing bonus point in their reversal to Munster at Murrayfield last Saturday.

Amazingly, Edinburgh's only away win in their last 19 trips in the PRO12 was at Treviso last November. Edinburgh hasn't won in Wales since a visit to Scarlets on 4 December 2009.

The Blues have won their last four games against Edinburgh Rugby in the RaboDirect PRO12, whilst Edinburgh have been victorious on four of their last five visits to the Arms Park.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 6 Sep - 12:25; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by gowales Wed 5 Sep - 14:42

Richie Rees and Yapp will have a point to prove.

gowales

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by RDW Wed 5 Sep - 20:44

Yeah I reckon Rees and Yapp will start and will be well up for it.

I said this in the Munster thread - I reckon Edinburgh will either romp to a bonus point win or get humped by 30 points! It's hard to tell what this Edinburgh team will do just now - teetering on the edge between greatness and ineptitude.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 5 Sep - 20:58

Actually think Chunk might start, with Yapp benching. Hope to see either Talei or Basilia at 8 and Scott at 12 otherwise not too many changes. Might try Viss 2.0 instead of Lee who didn't look great on Saturday, although I really want to see Farndale starting soon, maybe Zebre?

Think I'll probably wander along to the Murrayfield Hotel to watch.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 5 Sep - 21:00

Yeah could do with the extra bulk at 8, although harsh on McInally. Saying that, other than his great run against Munster he didn't do a massive amount.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 5 Sep - 21:06

I hope Talei doesn't play, everytime I see him play the blues it's always through my fingers!!!

Hope Rees doesn't play either, he'll be itching to totally murder the Blues after he was treated, and he has the talent to do it.

With these two teams being so erratic I don't think I can comment on the outcome until I see the lineups.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 5 Sep - 21:11

What happened to Rees at the Blues like?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Wed 5 Sep - 21:13

George Carlin wrote:

Edinburgh have confirmed that they have now firmly established which anatomical area is their backside and which is their elbow*.

Laugh

I saw Alex Cuffbutt walking through town this afternoon as it goes. I know that has no significance to this thread whatsoever, but I just thought I'd say...carry on...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 5 Sep - 21:17

RDW

Nothing substantiated, so wouldn't go blabbing it around on here, but lets just say he had just about ousted Phillips in the NT when he was suddenly dropped for a certain mr Williams son. There are a few rumours of his ';crisis' talks with certain bosses and his confusion as to how he could go to 1st choice for Wales to 2nd choice for the Blues and not get another look in on the int scene.

Not that I'm saying he was done over, but watch if he plays friday!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 5 Sep - 21:25

Unsubstantiated rumours is exactly what this thread is all about! Very Happy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 5 Sep - 21:26

Yeah was aware of the Rees 'politics' think him and Yapp might be one of the best bits of business Bradley did this summer. Will be disappointed if Wales decide they want him back though.

Looking forward to Friday, should be a cracker.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Wed 5 Sep - 21:30

Rees will be gunning to prove a point, he doesn't stand a chance of a Wales return now Bryn Mors boy is in the fold (not that I'm stating anything)

I like Rees, met him once, and digger I met way too many times for my liking Hug

First game back at the CAP, should be a full house, and hopefully a strong Blues team, Davies would be nuts to rest players when the Blues need victories to help the crowds!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Wed 5 Sep - 23:22

I expect Rees to outplay his opponent, especially if it is Lloyd Williams.

John Yapp won't scare Filise or Bourrust on the TH, one of the few who wont.

Warburton and Halfpenny are likely to start and a fair few will return from injury - including Tovey

I expect a Blues win, should be a good game - and I will be cheering from the crowd.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by overlordofthewest Wed 5 Sep - 23:56

Rees has to start and as said above will probably outplay his opposite number. He'll make a few mistakes - he always does - but he adds pace and brings a lot to the game. He will however need a platform, too often if the forwards don't give him good ball to play he does silly things. If the pack are going forward he'll give good ball, read the game well, make a break or two and create chances.
He'll prove a good signing I think.

overlordofthewest

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 6 Sep - 5:22

Cari wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Edinburgh have confirmed that they have now firmly established which anatomical area is their backside and which is their elbow*.

Laugh

I saw Alex Cuffbutt walking through town this afternoon as it goes. I know that has no significance to this thread whatsoever, but I just thought I'd say...carry on...
Cari - Tommy Bowe, Alex Cuthbert, Chris Robshaw:

sh@g, marry, kill - please assign.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 6 Sep - 7:11

Can only see unhappy trails for the girners, with no LBP - not exactly the start you'd have wanted

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Thu 6 Sep - 8:07

George Carlin wrote:
Cari wrote:
George Carlin wrote:

Laugh

Cari - Tommy Bowe, Alex Cuthbert, Chris Robshaw:

sh@g, marry, kill - please assign.

Cuffbutt? No sorry...does nothing for me. Robshaw? No ta. The Irish fella? Consider it done (though I'd rather thrill than kill... Wink )

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 8:40

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Can only see unhappy trails for the girners, with no LBP - not exactly the start you'd have wanted

Girners?? You've really developed some anti Edinburgh attitudes over the summer asbo!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 6 Sep - 8:48

I think Edinburgh v Blues could become a real rivalry in the pro 12, two evenly matched teams who always seem to be playing each other.

Like 606 said, Halfpenny & Warburton are coming back in and Cuthbert & Tovey are expected to start as well. Our back row and our back line is going to be a big job to handle for Edinburgh, but the Edinburgh pack are a good unit so we need to front up there.

I got my ST and I'll be getting the beers too...Here's to a good game!

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 8:49

Which wing does Cuthbert play on? Don't overly fancy Lee Jones marking him. If it is Visser V Cuthburt that could be a huge contest!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 6 Sep - 8:54

RDW_Scotland wrote:
AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Can only see unhappy trails for the girners, with no LBP - not exactly the start you'd have wanted

Girners?? You've really developed some anti Edinburgh attitudes over the summer asbo!
Bliwdy autocorrect text spelling, obv meant gunners!

Cuthbert should be opposite MacV OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 8:57

Aye right you did! Whistle

That autocorrect is a pain in the hoop though - I tried to right t$t-for-tat, which obviously isn't swearing, and it changed it to Holly Willoughby-for-tat - not quite the same although a funny alternative!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Thu 6 Sep - 8:59

RDW_Scotland wrote:Which wing does Cuthbert play on? Don't overly fancy Lee Jones marking him. If it is Visser V Cuthburt that could be a huge contest!

Being a forward i don't really know the technical difference on the left or right wing but he tends to be on the right wing for us. I imagine they'll put him up against Visser if we go with Harry Robinson as the other winger. I'd expect something like this:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
7. Navidi (Warburton coming on second half)
8. Pretorius

9. Jones (Williams on the bench)
10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

That's the team i would go for, 6 & 12 are a guess because i'm not sure who they're going to opt for there. Bradley Davies & Lou Reed would be my second row combo and then i would move Copeland out to 6 where he is more familiar. But Rory Watt-Jones has been doing alright during pre season and against Connacht which may state his case to start at six.

Gone for Navidi to start at 7 with warbs off the bench, he's coming back from injury and Navidi is becoming a real good 7 so i'd say stick with this for friday.

12...I'd opt for Sweeney or Rhys Patchell. Both are fly halves who can play 12, just need one to fill in until Jamie is fit.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by youngguns6 Thu 6 Sep - 10:39

It will be interesting to see how tovey goes. He had some magic games for the dragons and I always wondered what he could do behind a decent pack.. Sadly he went to the blues.

A poor looking side, I certainly won't be fearing you next week.

youngguns6

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 6 Sep - 10:52

fair talk of macVisser vs cuthbert

I'm looking forward to rennie vs Warburton
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 10:57

Aye - potential Lions battle there! The real test will be the 6N though - this will be Warbuton's first game back and Rennie only came back last week.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Thu 6 Sep - 10:58

Pretty excited to see Rennie and Warbs go at it. The Blues have really stepped up their marketing this season, people who don't watch rugby in my area talking about the game and talking about going. Hype!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 11:03

Looks like we won't be seeing Rennie V Warbuton after all...

15 Greig Tonks
14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 John Houston
11 Tim Visser

10 Greig Laidlaw CAPTAIN
9 Richie Rees

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Sean Cox
6 David Denton
7 Roddy Grant
8 Stuart McInally

Substitutes
16 Andy Titterrell
17 John Yapp
18 Willem Nel
19 Perry Parker
20 Netani Talei
21 Chris Leck
22 Gregor Hunter
23 Sep Visser

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 11:07

A few changes from last week, the main one being Rennie "rested" after 1 game and the Scotland front row replacing Yapp and Nel. Good to see Talei back and hopefully he can come on with half an hour or so to go and cause some havoc! Lee Jones is very lucky to keep his place and is definitely on last chance saloon.

Interesting that Matt Scott's absence is still being explained as "pre-season". Wonder why he's been given such a long lay off compared to the others?

Decent team though so hopefully we can bring a big performance and get something from the game.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 6 Sep - 11:22

Damn, would have been great to see Rennie vs Breadman but pleased that Rennie's game time is being managed and Grant never lets you down.

Would like to see McInally and Denton switch.

Decent team, fingers crossed they'll be more ruthless this weekend.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 6 Sep - 11:30

gcBlues wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Which wing does Cuthbert play on? Don't overly fancy Lee Jones marking him. If it is Visser V Cuthburt that could be a huge contest!

Being a forward i don't really know the technical difference on the left or right wing but he tends to be on the right wing for us. I imagine they'll put him up against Visser if we go with Harry Robinson as the other winger. I'd expect something like this:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
8. Pretorius

10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

That's the team i would go for, 6 & 12 are a guess because i'm not sure who they're going to opt for there. Bradley Davies & Lou Reed would be my second row combo and then i would move Copeland out to 6 where he is more familiar. But Rory Watt-Jones has been doing alright during pre season and against Connacht which may state his case to start at six.

Gone for Navidi to start at 7 with warbs off the bench, he's coming back from injury and Navidi is becoming a real good 7 so i'd say stick with this for friday.

12...I'd opt for Sweeney or Rhys Patchell. Both are fly halves who can play 12, just need one to fill in until Jamie is fit.

Can you honestly Patchell or Sweeney starting before Allen ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 6 Sep - 11:37

LordDowlais wrote:
gcBlues wrote:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
8. Pretorius

10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Patchell did in the preseason.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 6 Sep - 11:39

wales606 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
gcBlues wrote:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
8. Pretorius

10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Allen played there last week and he scored a try. thumbsup

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 6 Sep - 11:39

Lord thats just what I was thinking, but Patchell has started pre season!!

That is a good Edinburgh side, glad theres no Rennie or Talai!!!

Hope Blues put out a strong team, but want to see Navidi, Borrust, and Allen in.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 6 Sep - 11:41

Cardiff Blues team

15. Leigh Halfpenny 14. Alex Cuthbert 13. Gavin Evans 12. Dafydd Hewitt 11. Tom James 10. Ceri Sweeney 9. Lewis Jones

8. Andries Pretorius (c) 7. Sam Warburton 6. Josh Navidi 5. James Down 4. Bradley Davies 3.Benoit Bourrust 2.Rhys Williams 1.Taufa'ao Filise

16. Marc Breeze 17. Nathan Trevett 18.Thomas Davies 19. Lou Reed 20.Luke Hamilton 21.Lloyd Williams 22. Rhys Patchell 23. Thomas Williams

Tovey must still be out with flu.

Not the most creative midfield, Jones - Sweeney - Hewitt - Evans doesn't inspire confidence, but the back 3 are deadly.

Meanwhile, it is probably the strongest forward pack we have seen for a while. Downs and Navidi were excellent last week so both keep their place, with Navidi at 6 we will have 2 fetchers on the pitch and should be strong in the breakdown. Bourrust will hopefully give us a stable scrum, but I would rather he was lining up against Yapp.

At the Arms Park, Blues by 10 but i'm a bit weary of an expansive game with Ritchie Rees and Laidlaw getting too much time on the ball.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 6 Sep - 11:43

LordDowlais wrote:
wales606 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
gcBlues wrote:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
8. Pretorius

10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

Allen played there last week and he scored a try. thumbsup

???

Gareth Davies played 12 last week (and he is a 10) - Allen was on the bench. Lewis Jones scored a try, not Allen.

Im a big fan of Allen, but he is a 13 more than a 12 now - I want to see Tovey - Patchell - Allen at some point. Patchell has played very well at 12 recently.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 6 Sep - 11:44

Already looking forward to this one. Grant had a stormer against Warbs in the HC so that will be a well contested breakdown.

Home advantage though I think will be enough to carry the blues to the Win.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 6 Sep - 12:33

Edinburgh:

1. Anyone know why Hunter is preferred to Leonard?
2. Lovely to see Rees start - he'll be all over Jones like a rash.
3. Very strong set of forwards on the bench. I would be happy with a complete change in the front row with 30 to go.
4. A week off for Rennie, I see. Roddy's chance to get in Warb's face again, which he's done very effectively in the past. 7 is the best place for the Ginger Monster as his lack of height doesn't matter.

Blues:

1. Cuthbert v His Timness. I'll hear the collisions from here.
2. Quite a strong tight 5, actually.
3. Let's see if Nividi can justify his growing reputation.
4. Good thing for Reekie that Roberts is still a couple of weeks from fitness.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 6 Sep - 12:34

Hunter did quite well against the Saints in tough circumstances. Maybe enough to give him the nod.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 6 Sep - 12:38

I wouldn't bank on it, this is the first time in ages I have no idea what to expect from the blues...

Fillise will do what he always does, Bourrust is going to have to be very good!
Down was good last week but why bring Reed in if he's not going to start with Davies, thats what I wanna see.
2 fetchers is quite exciting, but neither are carriers so that will be left to Davies and Pretorious only.
Jones will go ok and sweeney as relliable as ever.
Again the centres are ok but not inspiring but when you have that back 3 outside you you can get away with it.

If the Blues get parity up front, and can hold their set peice they should have enough, Edinburgh though have this in their hands, a strong pack performance will be too much for the blues to handle!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 6 Sep - 13:34

Lee Jones marking either Cuthbert or James is a bad mismatch, and one that I'd have avoided were I Bradley. I'd have started Sep Visser in his place.

As RDW says, Hunter was pretty competent against the Saints pre-season and looks to me a fairly useful back-up player.

Teams looks fairly evenly matched on paper as far as I'm concerned, perhaps slightly edged by the Blues. Ceri Sweeney is a flake though so we have to get in his face.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 6 Sep - 13:38

funnyExiledScot wrote:Ceri Sweeney is a flake though so we have to get in his face.

Aye Dozer, Rambo, Ford and Cox should charge him as often as possible and unsettle him. Hopefully in turn unsettle the Cardiff backline who will be dangerous and physical if given the space to gain momentum.

As when playing the Blues you have to stop them at source.

If Edinburgh can do that we can win the game. If not it'll be one way traffic.

As RDW said bonus point win or an Edinburgh humping...... never the middle ground! Rolling Eyes
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 6 Sep - 13:39

Agreed FES - one good teeth-rattling contact from Denton should set Sweeney off with that slightly aimless kicking out of hand that he can be prone to.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 6 Sep - 13:48

I wouldn't bank on it boys, Sweeney isn't the boot of the blues in general.

Defencive kicking would go deeper to 1/2p, at goal will be 1/2p and offencive kicking isn't a go area at the blues precisely because of Sweeneys boot.

Form set peice Sweeney is bypassed for a long pass to the crashing 12 (Hewitt) so really getting to Sweeney isn't what you want at all.

I'd argue keeping Hewitt under pressure and sealing off Evans would kill the back 3's posession, Robinson and 1/2p are hardly likely to be running crash inside balls.

And with Bourrust, Davies, and Fillise being old style players they'll pick more than they'll carry out in the wider channells.

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 6 Sep - 13:51

That's interesting. I was wondering how the Blues would deal with the potential weaknesses of Sweeney at 10, and you tell us the answer: remove him from all kicking responsibilities and by-pass him from set pieces.

What does he do???

He can play well on his day, but he is prone to the odd lapse. Let's hope he has a few of those at the weekend.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 6 Sep - 14:00

Lets not!!!

Unlike Parks Sweeney can bring players into the game, he can defend, and he is pretty reliable, however my point is Bourrust, Davies, Fillise, will all pick a lot, they don't have the mobility to go around the corners, constantly set diamonds etc, so Denton as a 6, and Grant as 7 will be tied into a lot of rucks. If you send them on a Sweeney mission the likes of Davies and Pretorious are going to exploit the gaps they leave, and they will leave gaps.

From what Ive seen the gameplan from the blues is simple... Keep it tight, keep it up front and with 2 fetchers and 1/2p kick the penalties they win and/or use the back 3 from turnover ball.

The blues will not play an expansive game, they'll look to tie in forwards, and only move the ball on turnover or big mismatches.

Therefore targetting the 10 is useless, suffocating the 12 on turnover ball is far more effective, and allows your flankers to get to grips with 2 fetchers!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 6 Sep - 14:04

funnyExiledScot wrote:That's interesting. I was wondering how the Blues would deal with the potential weaknesses of Sweeney at 10, and you tell us the answer: remove him from all kicking responsibilities and by-pass him from set pieces.

What does he do???
Exactly the same as Dan Parks did, apparently. monkey
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 6 Sep - 14:53

So am I reading this right? the blues Scrum Half deliberatly bypasses his stand off?

Jeez Parks has left some deep emotional scars on the Cardiff Scrum halves!
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Thu 6 Sep - 14:55

I can just imagine Rees before his move to the Burgh and Jones sitting in the corner rocking back and forth babbling incoherently and every so often screaming at the top of their voices :

"FOR THE LOVE OF mad steam Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread 3181402168 DON'T PUNT THE BALL AWAY AGAIN DAN!!!!!!"

vomit
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 6 Sep - 14:59

Ruggar

It's a common tactic used by most teams these days, Use Roberts, Hewitt, Nonu, even Tuilagi straight from the set peice (why not SH's these days can pass for 40 yards) tie in opposing openside/10 and give the 10 a chance to reload on the openside to run the destructive play against a defence missing key players.

And by the end Dan was being boo'd by his own fans, at the CAP last season a core group just boo'd him in everything he did!!!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next