The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

+37
HERSH
Seagultaf
Liam
glamorganalun
majesticimperialman
GLove39
Imperialbigdave
TJ1
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
munkian
BigTrevsbigmac
Looseheaded
bsando
Artful_Dodger
LondonTiger
doctornickolas
Janecory
maestegmafia
Knowsit17
funnyExiledScot
RuggerRadge2611
LordDowlais
reallybored
Coleman
tigertattie
youngguns6
XR
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
overlordofthewest
wales606
Cari
thebluesmancometh
justified sinner
RDW
gowales
George Carlin
41 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread - Page 2 Empty Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by George Carlin Wed 05 Sep 2012, 2:22 pm

First topic message reminder :

No thread about this yet (I don't think), so let's get this started:

7 September 2012
Venue:
Cardiff Arms Park Wales
Kick off: 7.05 pm
Coverage: live on BBC Wales

Referee: David Wilkinson (IRFU)
Assistant Referees: Sean Brickell, Jason Langdon (both WRU)
Citing Commissioner: Aurwel Morgan (WRU)
TMO: Neil Ballard (WRU)

Teams:

Blues:

15. Leigh Halfpenny
14. Alex Cuthbert
13. Gavin Evans
12. Dafydd Hewitt
11. Tom James

10. Ceri Sweeney
9. Lewis Jones

1. Taufa'ao Filise
2. Rhys Williams
3. Benoit Bourrust
4. Bradley Davies
5. James Down
6. Josh Navidi
7. Sam Warburton
8. Andries Pretorius (c)

Substitutes:

16. Marc Breeze
17. Nathan Trevett
18. Thomas Davies
19. Lou Reed
20. Luke Hamilton
21. Lloyd Williams
22. Rhys Patchell
23. Thomas Williams

Edinburgh:

15 Greig Tonks
14 Lee Jones
13 Nick De Luca
12 John Houston
11 Tim Visser

10 Greig Laidlaw (c)
9 Richie Rees

1 Allan Jacobsen
2 Ross Ford
3 Geoff Cross
4 Grant Gilchrist
5 Sean Cox
6 David Denton
7 Roddy Grant
8 Stuart McInally

Substitutes:
16 Andy Titterrell
17 John Yapp
18 Willem Nel
19 Perry Parker
20 Netani Talei
21 Chris Leck
22 Gregor Hunter
23 Sep Visser

Unavailable:
Ben Atiga (hip)
Tom Brown (hamstring strain)
Ben Cairns (knee)
Steven Lawrie (knee)
Matt Scott (pre-season)
Steven Turnbull (shoulder)

This game is always a cracker and lovely to be back at the spiritual home of the Blues.

Form:

1. Cardiff:

Blues, of course, began the new season with a 13-9 victory in Connacht.

They won both matches they played at the Arms Park last season (against Connacht and Ulster) and won their opening two encounters last season.

2. Edinburgh:

Edinburgh had to settle for a losing bonus point in their reversal to Munster at Murrayfield last Saturday.

Amazingly, Edinburgh's only away win in their last 19 trips in the PRO12 was at Treviso last November. Edinburgh hasn't won in Wales since a visit to Scarlets on 4 December 2009.

The Blues have won their last four games against Edinburgh Rugby in the RaboDirect PRO12, whilst Edinburgh have been victorious on four of their last five visits to the Arms Park.

Last edited by George Carlin on Thu 06 Sep 2012, 12:25 pm; edited 4 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 4:41 pm

Is there really nobody other than Filise who can cover loosehead now that Geth's gone?

Back row looks interesting. Not sure it's worth playing Navidi on the blindside rather than bringing in Hamilton for some gametime but who knows, experiments sometimes pay off. How did Pretorius get along in Galway?

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh - build-up, teams, banter and live match day thread

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:41 pm

1. Fau Filise is a converted LHP - he is best at LH.

2. Navidi carried a lot in Galway, and Warburton is a decent carrier in regional rugby. Davies and Filise are also carriers so that won't be a problem.

3. Sweeney is not a weakness, he is defensively strong and has a heap of experience. Sweeney will run the plays from 10 and when he has had gametime and is confident, he will cause problems.

4. Hewitt will be used as crashball, but can also distribute fairly well, using Cuthbert and James off his shoulder. Evans is there to tackle and pass.

5. Sweeney will do a fairly large amount of the tactical kicking, even if Halfpenny kicks at goal.

I expect the forwards to win turnover ball and use the back 3 while the opposition is disorganized. In attack Pretorious, Davies and Filise will keep the defense tight at the ruck through carries then Jones and Sweeney will get it out quickly to Evans/Hewitt to try to work overlaps to 1/2p, Cuthbert or James - all of whom can beat a man 1 on 1.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 6:43 pm

I also expect a fairly expansive game from the Blues under Davies (especially with the nice weather)

It will also be interesting to see Patchell if he gets off the bench at either 10 or 12.

Lloyd Williams may be in trouble this year, even with no SHs at the Blues he is being kept out by Lewis Jones, who would have been 4th choice last season if it wasn't for Baber's dislike of Rhys Downes.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Thu 06 Sep 2012, 7:48 pm

wales606 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
wales606 wrote:
LordDowlais wrote:
gcBlues wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Which wing does Cuthbert play on? Don't overly fancy Lee Jones marking him. If it is Visser V Cuthburt that could be a huge contest!

Being a forward i don't really know the technical difference on the left or right wing but he tends to be on the right wing for us. I imagine they'll put him up against Visser if we go with Harry Robinson as the other winger. I'd expect something like this:

1. Filise
2. Kyriacou
3. Borrust
4. Reed
5. Davies
6. Watt-Jones/Copeland
7. Navidi (Warburton coming on second half)
8. Pretorius

9. Jones (Williams on the bench)
10. Tovey
11. Robinson
12. Patchell/Sweeney
13. Evans
14. Cuthbert
15. Halfpenny

That's the team i would go for, 6 & 12 are a guess because i'm not sure who they're going to opt for there. Bradley Davies & Lou Reed would be my second row combo and then i would move Copeland out to 6 where he is more familiar. But Rory Watt-Jones has been doing alright during pre season and against Connacht which may state his case to start at six.

Gone for Navidi to start at 7 with warbs off the bench, he's coming back from injury and Navidi is becoming a real good 7 so i'd say stick with this for friday.

12...I'd opt for Sweeney or Rhys Patchell. Both are fly halves who can play 12, just need one to fill in until Jamie is fit.

Can you honestly Patchell or Sweeney starting before Allen ?

Patchell did in the preseason.

Allen played there last week and he scored a try. thumbsup

???

Gareth Davies played 12 last week (and he is a 10) - Allen was on the bench. Lewis Jones scored a try, not Allen.

Im a big fan of Allen, but he is a 13 more than a 12 now - I want to see Tovey - Patchell - Allen at some point. Patchell has played very well at 12 recently.

I will have to take your word for it because I saw it on Scrum V, and I just watched it again on sky+ and the commentator (Phill Steele I think) said that Allen dives on the ball for a try after a scrappy line out, but, I have checked the bbc sport page and it does say that Lewis Jones scored and I will trust you and the bbc over Phill Steele. thumbsup I would also like to see Tovey start on Saturday and as a converted 12 from a 10 I suppose Patchell could be a very skilfull centre so I will concede this one to you as well, what is Patchell like in defence though ? Ale

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 7:50 pm

It was definitively Lewis Jones, it was his first try for the Blues - he mentioned it on twitter aswell.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:53 pm

wales606 wrote:1. Fau Filise is a converted LHP - he is best at LH.

2. Navidi carried a lot in Galway, and Warburton is a decent carrier in regional rugby. Davies and Filise are also carriers so that won't be a problem.

3. Sweeney is not a weakness, he is defensively strong and has a heap of experience. Sweeney will run the plays from 10 and when he has had gametime and is confident, he will cause problems.

4. Hewitt will be used as crashball, but can also distribute fairly well, using Cuthbert and James off his shoulder. Evans is there to tackle and pass.

5. Sweeney will do a fairly large amount of the tactical kicking, even if Halfpenny kicks at goal.

I expect the forwards to win turnover ball and use the back 3 while the opposition is disorganized. In attack Pretorious, Davies and Filise will keep the defense tight at the ruck through carries then Jones and Sweeney will get it out quickly to Evans/Hewitt to try to work overlaps to 1/2p, Cuthbert or James - all of whom can beat a man 1 on 1.

So in summary, we were all wrong to suggest that there are any weaknesses in the Blues team, and they will crush all before them.

I wonder who you support? Whistle

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by thebluesmancometh Thu 06 Sep 2012, 9:57 pm

Scot

I wouldnt take his comments so seriously, Fillise is not a great prop, Navidid is too lightweight to carry effectively, his game is based around support play, as is Watbs.
Sweeney will certainly not cause Burgh problems, and the centres lack any real quality.
If Sweeney kick out of hand more than when he really has to I will be amazed!

thebluesmancometh

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:13 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
wales606 wrote:1. Fau Filise is a converted LHP - he is best at LH.

So in summary, we were all wrong to suggest that there are any weaknesses in the Blues team, and they will crush all before them.

I wonder who you support? Whistle

Mearly telling you how the Blues play, the idea that they would ignore Sweeney in attack is laughable.

The centres are weak, Evans is particular brings little creativity. Lewis Jones is not good (as I have said, he was 4th choice when we actually had some SHs), not sure how much he has improved recently. Sweeney is only good when he is confident and is playing on front foot ball.

Downs and Davies both have some games where they dont show up.

Filise isn't as strong in the loose as he used to be and hasn't played a huge about to LHP in the last year. Bourrust is untested and I doubt will dominate, although may prevent us giving penalties with every free kick. Rhys Williams is inexperience, meanwhile the replacement front row is terrible.

Navidi, Hamilton and Downs all have limited experience and Pretorious has not played much in the last year.

It perfectly possible that the whole team will fall apart (except Halfpenny, Halfpenny is perfect...) as they have few leaders on the field if things go wrong.

Still, at home, back at the CAP, first home game of the season with a strong forward pack. I expect a Blues win - but anything is possible with Edinburgh (see last seasons HC).

Also Edinburgh haven't won in Cardiff for a fair while, and we have won 7/8 (at least) of the last games against them in the last 2 seasons.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 06 Sep 2012, 11:14 pm

The Blues have 5 injured/unfit props - Sam Hobbs, Scott Andrews, Campese Ma'afu, Ryan Hartfor and Jake Cooper-Woolley
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 07 Sep 2012, 4:06 am

Lewis Jones played well. Good lad.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Janecory Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:29 am

maestegmafia wrote:Lewis Jones played well. Good lad.
Corrwg, Haha, So is he a better player than Brynmors boy ?
Richie Rees will give the kid a lesson tonight Doh

Janecory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:31 am

I know I said this last week but if we have any ambitions in the rabbo we really should be taking something from this game! We've got an international front row, first choice lock pairing and a strong back row. Plenty experience and class in the backs too.

As has been said though this is Edinburgh, and you just don't know who will turn up!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:39 am

Off to the Arms Park for my first live club game in a few years (actually I went to the 'other' stadium once and it was terrible). Tonight I shall stand, yes stand as God intended rugby to be watched when he invented it, to watch a game in a great ground.

Cardiff Blues are in the very very early stages of rebuilding. I don't expect great things this year in reality but if they can hang on to players like Roberts, Halfpenny, Cuthbert, Pretorius, Navidi, Brad Davies then I think they have the nucleus of a team around which to cultivate the youngsters. And that is the route they have to go down.

I shall be there as often as I can. Come on Blues!!!

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:41 am

Janecory wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Lewis Jones played well. Good lad.
Corrwg, Haha, So is he a better player than Brynmors boy ?
Richie Rees will give the kid a lesson tonight Doh

Richie Rees will be desperate to make a point. this could well work against him and Embra.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:39 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Richie Rees will be desperate to make a point. this could well work against him and Embra.

Could also work very well for him and Edinburgh!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:41 pm

He played well for the Baabaas against L.Williams and Wales. I expect him to do the same against the Blues.
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:50 pm

I obviously don't want him rampaging about like a headless chicken - at scrum half you need a cool head and need to still play the way the team needs you to play for the chosen tactics. I'm sure it will give him extra motivation though, and will be giving Williams a hard time if he gets off the bench!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 07 Sep 2012, 1:52 pm

I see it as a fwd's vs backs battle

if burgh fwd's outplay the blue fwds more than the blues backs outplay the burgh backs, then its a win for the burgh. And vise versa obviously!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:01 pm

Well I've got the flat to myself, I'm chilled out in my pants with a Chinese and beer in hand - it's game night!!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:03 pm

All right RD? Sounds cool. Beautiful evening here in Cardiff and the AP looks packed out! Great to see. Very Happy

Oh no Sean Holley on Scrum V doing anal-ysis...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:05 pm

Tim Visser's looking pretty tasty... Whistle

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:05 pm

Cari wrote:Oh no Sean Holley on Scrum V doing anal-ysis...

Was just about to say exactly the same thing - this is probably going to be the case on Scrum V all season.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:06 pm

Shaming isn't it Dodger? I'm surprised he hasn't been offered another coaching job... Rolling Eyes

See, it looks so much better at the AP now doesn't it? They couldn't have played in the CCS anyway cause the Welsh wendyball's on down there.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:09 pm

Right! Back from work, ready for a thrilling game of rugger! Really wish I was back in Cardiff to see this one at the Cardiff Arms Park, really didn't like the Cardiff City Stadium and it was tucked away in an awkward location. Good luck Blues and C'mon Edinburghhh!!!!!!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:10 pm

Minute silence for Dr Jack (Matthews) (former Cardiff/Lions/Wales player who passed away recently) impeccably observed. clap

Come on Blooz...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

Minute gone and Lee Jones has knocked on already!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:11 pm

I wonder if Richie Rees will accidentally make some offloads to the wrong players forgetting which shirt he's wearing Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:13 pm

Well the Blues scrum went boobies up there. Kickable penalty chance for Laidlaw.

0 - 3.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

Edinburgh scrum started well!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:18 pm

Blues having problems with their scrums. Need to take care here...Edinburgh away with it, superb tackle on Lee Jones but Edinburgh still going. Possible try from De Luca (?)...TMO...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

Looks held up to me or at the most inconclusive...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

Most atmosphere at a Blues home match in a few seasons.
Not that it'd be difficult to achieve that.

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:19 pm

TMO says inconclusive, scrum five. Well saved Tom James.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:20 pm

Geoff Cross looks well up for it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:21 pm

Blues really struggling at the scrum, and the Edinburgh front row taking full advantage. They could score here.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:21 pm

This has got to be the first time in living memory that Edinburgh have dominated a team at scrum time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:22 pm

Front row was always were Blues were going to struggle this season, but struggling against Edinburgh in the scrum really is worrying.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:23 pm

Ah come on...that was easy for Visser surely? Although it wasn't a great pass...it's all Edinburgh at the moment RD, you should be chuffed! Very Happy

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:23 pm

Edinburgh playing too loose for my liking - it's not 7s!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:25 pm

They have all the possession and pressure on the Blues at the moment...eh, bar that penalty...Wink

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:26 pm

Seriously Edinburgh - hold on to the feckin ball!!!!!!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:28 pm

laughing ah it gave the locals something to cheer about RD. Wink Another scrum...a better one for the Blues, but then they lose possession almost immediately. Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:33 pm

Argh no! A great try chance for the Blues spoilt by Richie Rees of all people! Blues still in possession though...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:35 pm

Blues penalty allows Leehalfapee to equal the scores. 3-3 after 23 minutes.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:36 pm

Visser could've got the first try of the game unless the TMO decides that his foot was in touch. Doesn't look like it was. Should be allowed.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:36 pm

try time

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:37 pm

Thanks for this amazing replay of an excellent try! can we get on with the game now please :P

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:38 pm

Allowed. Awkward angle for Laidlaw to convert though. Goes wide.

3 - 8.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:39 pm

Lovely stuff from Edinburgh's second row Cox there.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 07 Sep 2012, 7:40 pm

Reckon your loosehead will get hooked at half time??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next