The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steven Davies backed after coming out...

+2
Legend
Mad for Chelsea
6 posters

Go down

Steven Davies backed after coming out... Empty Steven Davies backed after coming out...

Post by Guest Mon 28 Feb 2011, 12:15 pm

England wicketkeeper Steven Davies has received support from senior figures in cricket after revealing he is gay.

England coach Andy Flower said he had known for some time, adding: "Steve's private life is his own concern.

"It has absolutely no bearing on his ability to excel at the very highest level in international sport."

Vikram Solanki, chairman of the Professional Cricketers' Association, said: "Steve has the full support of all his colleagues in cricket."

Surrey's Davies, 24, is the first active professional cricketer to confirm he is gay.

"I'm comfortable with who I am - and happy to say who I am in public," he said.

"To speak out is a massive relief for me but if I can just help one person to deal with their sexuality then that's all I care about."

Steve is a very popular guy in our team. He's a fantastic cricketer and that's what we see him as

England batsman Ian Bell

Davies, who was part of the victorious Ashes squad but who missed out on a place in the England squad for the current World Cup campaign, came out to his friends and family five years ago.

He decided to confide in Flower ahead of the recent tour to Australia.

The coach, together with captain Andrew Strauss, then let the rest of the squad know.

"It was a fantastic thing to do, telling the lads. The difference is huge. I am so much happier," said Davies.

"I told Andy Flower first. It was a tough thing for me to do, to tell him face-to-face, but I had to do it.

"He supported me 100%, [both] him and Andrew Strauss. It was the right thing to do as I felt I couldn't live like this any more."

Davies, who made his international debut in a Twenty20 match against the West Indies in Trinidad in 2009, is a former England under-19 captain who made his debut for Worcestershire at 18.

He is one of only a few professional sportsmen to come out. Footballer Justin Fashanu, who died in 1998, and dual-code rugby international Gareth Thomas and are the only two British sportsman to previously do so during their careers.

SPORTS STARS WHO CAME OUT
Martina Navratilova (tennis) 1981
Justin Fashanu (football) 1990
Greg Louganis (diving) 1995
John Amaechi (basketball) 2007
Donal Og Cusack (hurling) 2009
Gareth Thomas (rugby) 2009

Davies says he would be happy to help any other sportsmen if they also took the decision to reveal that they were gay.

"Yes, definitely," he said. "Gareth Thomas' story helped me. It showed me it can be done.

"He was brave enough to stand up and say who he was. If I can help anyone else like he helped me, that would be great."

Flower told the England and Wales Cricket Board website that Davies "has had and will continue to have the full respect and support of the entire squad".

Source: BBC Sport

Back to top Go down

Steven Davies backed after coming out... Empty Re: Steven Davies backed after coming out...

Post by Mad for Chelsea Mon 28 Feb 2011, 2:10 pm

Good on him really, and it does show that mentalities are changing somewhat.

The best sign of course will be when a sportsman comes out and everyone goes "so what?"...

Mad for Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Steven Davies backed after coming out... Empty Re: Steven Davies backed after coming out...

Post by Legend Mon 28 Feb 2011, 2:30 pm

One thing I saw on the web is that there are a lot of countries in the cricket world where homosexuality is banned. Could this be a problem in the future if stars like this are coming out and perhaps fearing for their safety?
Legend
Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Enforcer Tue 01 Mar 2011, 8:45 am

I would have thought that part of the criteria for being a test match country is some form of reassurance that all players are treated equally regardless of race, sexuality etc. by the authorities. I'm guessing security would be pretty tight in those countries anyway, so hopefully it wouldn't be an issue.

As Mad For Chelsea said, it would be good if there was more of a 'so what' attitude in the media.

Enforcer
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by StuDavies Tue 01 Mar 2011, 6:14 pm

Good for the lad to be so confident at that age to come out, and I truly hope that all opposition accept that and not make any issue (derogatory banter) of it.

But above all, I look forward to the day that this kind of story isn't news.

StuDavies

Back to top Go down

Post by TS Thu 03 Mar 2011, 5:37 pm

When I read of this the other day, my first thought were:-

Sun headlines reads - ENGLAND WICKET KEEPER BATS FOR OTHER SIDE.

Sorry - No disrespect to the lad, just couldn't resist the dreadful pun.

Like others have said, it's just sooo not my business

TS

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 05 Mar 2011, 1:56 pm

good on him, hopefully he can relax and score runs like we know he can

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Tue 22 Mar 2011, 12:29 pm

Hopefully the team get behind him.....
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 22 Mar 2011, 1:39 pm

Michaels, Sean wrote:Hopefully the team get behind him.....

Ha............................................................... :doh:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down