The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot

+7
Rowley
bhb001
OasisBFC
KingMonkey
DoubleD22
BALTIMORA
Valero's Conscience
11 posters

Go down

Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot Empty Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 3 Oct - 13:11

There's been plenty of talk about Alvarez defending his title against Cintron, even though Cintron has just come off against a poor showing in his loss against an 'unknown'!!

Remember the days when you had EARN you world title shot? Sad

It's crazy how a fighter can lose then be offered a title shot, like Mosley losing to Mayweather, then drawing to Mora then getting a shot at Pac......HUGELY FRUSTRATING!

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot Empty Re: Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot

Post by BALTIMORA Mon 3 Oct - 13:24

Absolutely is.

BALTIMORA

Back to top Go down

Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot Empty Re: Alvarez vs Cintron & Earning Your Title Shot

Post by DoubleD22 Mon 3 Oct - 13:55

Couldnt agree more, unfortunatley though its all about what fight will get the most money as opposed to what fighter deserves to fight. Which is a shame i can understand it from the fighters view, why would you fight someone who could potentail beat you when you could make more money fighting someone your more likley to beat. I just wish the top fighters were forced to fight the top fighters all the time, it would make the sport more interesting and not wind me up paying £15 PPV everytime!

DoubleD22

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Mon 3 Oct - 14:12

I think it makes a mockery of the belt you wear if your opponent isn't highly ranked or coming off something impressive.

I checked Cintron's record and he won a 10 rounder in August so coming off a win but again a win against who?

Cintron has tremendous power but he's a faded power who hasn't had a credible win for a number of years now.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Mon 3 Oct - 14:43

Hatton, Rhodes etc etc Nothing new here.

Such is the shambolic structure of boxing these days who is to say who deserves what? fwiw Cintron has been a top level operator for years, he's as deserving as most and an excellent learning curve for Alvarez who, to his credit, is at least boxing regularly.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Mon 3 Oct - 15:46

yeah at least he stays busy, and while hatton and rhodes arent world beaters, they're both a tough nights work to most.

the light middle weight division is awful. the top dogs need to pull their fingers out and challenge each other instead of making easy defences.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Mon 3 Oct - 16:12

And there are still rumours of Haye fighting Vitali after being schooled by Wlad. So, such a situation is rife at all weights

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 3 Oct - 16:18

To be fair to Rhodes he was well ranked and had been since beating Jamie Moore, if anything his shot should have come sooner. However is the nature of the game, there are four governing bodies and that means whilst it is never as simple as this at anyone time there can be 60 guys all ranked in the top 15 in the divisions, what this means is if you focus on one governing bodies is not too hard to find yourself with a top ten ranking on the back of a couple of wins.

As others have said at least in Saul's case he is fighting pretty regularly and is young enough to step up at what will still be a young age.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 3 Oct - 16:27

Haye was hardly schooled by Wlad...

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by bellchees Mon 3 Oct - 17:43

It's a shame that Molina isn't getting a shot at any of the belt holders at light middle. He'd give any of them a tough nights work. After nearly 2 years without a fight he went straight in against Lara and got a draw, I thought he won, then after that he easily beats Cintron who is now inexplicably lined up for a shot at a title.

bellchees

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 3 Oct - 20:22

im a big alvarez fan and think he is a very promising prospect for future p4p status, but he should think about stepping up the level of opposition soon. he is fighting regularly, and there not push overs he's fighting, but he's clearly a level above them and needs to prove himself if he wants to reach p4p status

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 3 Oct - 23:15

People praising Alvarez for fighting regularly is crazy... Beatin up tomato cans a blown up welters is nothing to shout about.

He is a world champ, if fighting tough opposition has come soon then you shouldn't have a title.

Him and JCC are all that is wrong with boxing.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Tue 4 Oct - 9:08

Lumbering_Jack wrote:People praising Alvarez for fighting regularly is crazy... Beatin up tomato cans a blown up welters is nothing to shout about.

He is a world champ, if fighting tough opposition has come soon then you shouldn't have a title.

Him and JCC are all that is wrong with boxing.

Exactly, he could be 12 years old for all i care, if he's a world champ he needs to consistently fight tough opposition.

Age is completely irrelevant when you are champ and as Jack says, if it's too soon to fight tough guys then you are not ready and do not deserve to be champ. I mean you are meant to have fought a tough guy to have won the title right?!?

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 4 Oct - 9:11

And I don't think he should have a title. The fact that he won it against Hatton is farcical enough, who he defends it against is almost as pointless now.

Cintron is a step up from Hatton, Rhodes etc so I'm happy enough. Could be a decent fight.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down