The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.

+20
doctornickolas
Biltong
Luckless Pedestrian
Glas a du
radelven
gelodge
Gatts
Bullsbok
RubyGuby
Cymroglan
glamorganalun
Feckless Rogue
Taffineastbourne
Shifty
ME-109
majesticimperialman
BigTrevsbigmac
Knowsit17
maestegmafia
MarcusHalberstram
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.   Empty Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:13 pm

Right, I haven’t posted on here much since the old 606 closed (still don’t really like the format here – am I the only person who thinks the threads go on WAY TOO LONG?! Mods – please don’t just stick this onto another thread, it gets tedious!) but today I feel driven to act! I’ve been a little guilty of this myself but quite frankly it’s getting silly now.

We are just a few days away from Wales biggest match in years; Wales have frankly been playing better than they have in years; and we’re up against opposition we have beaten fairly regularly during the last few years. It’s time to stop being so damn cautious about our chances and get the hell behind the boys!

Yes, of course we know BOD, POC, ROG, SOB etc. are class, and yes they know how to win games, but our boys don’t exactly look like a mothers’ union! I’m not wasting any more time and effort being pessimistic about our chances, because right now I feel like we could honestly take them to the cleaners.

George North and Jamie Roberts are quite frankly the most intimidating backs in the competition, Warburton is like a one man army, Gethin looks like he has a firecracker up his arse, and Lydiate, who has been fantastic, will be back. I could bang on about how well any one of 20+ of our players are playing, but what’s the point – it says it all that we don’t even know if Shane and Hook (clearly 2 of Wales best players of about the last 30 years) will be in the squad for Saturday!

So what if the last two sides we played were limited – WE ABSOULTELY MURDERED THEM!!! When was the last time Wales put 50+ points on anyone – let alone twice in a week at a world cup?

The Irish fans are all banging on about their Heiny cup experience – but right now our boys are absolutely pumping and most of them have barely ever played in the Heiny!!! Who the hell is going to be thinking about the Heineken Cup this weekend?!

Wales by more than 7.

COME ON!!!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.   Empty Re: Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:18 pm

I love your sentiments, I have a great deal of confidence in modern Welsh Rugby, and in its management and direction.

Though i also have a great deal of respect for what the Irish have achieved at International level and Regional.

It is great to see such form prevail at the right time.

This match will be a cracker.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.   Empty Re: Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism.

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:34 pm

I am personally getting hyped out of my mind already, despite the usual edge of worry at the prospect of losing. Since the start of the warm-ups the boys have looked like they're playing with more belief than any time since 2008. They've risen to the challenge better than many could have forseen imo. I'm just secretly praying we don't have to absorb any crippling injuries before or during the game and for us to have put the Irish away before 60 mins, though realistically I know that's highly unlikely. Still, believe!

CYMRU AM BYTH Wales

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:39 pm

Knowsit17 wrote:I am personally getting hyped out of my mind already, despite the usual edge of worry at the prospect of losing. Since the start of the warm-ups the boys have looked like they're playing with more belief than any time since 2008. They've risen to the challenge better than many could have forseen imo. I'm just secretly praying we don't have to absorb any crippling injuries before or during the game and for us to have put the Irish away before 60 mins, though realistically I know that's highly unlikely. Still, believe!

CYMRU AM BYTH Wales

For the first time in ages we haven't been hurt massively by injuries - mainly because for the first time in ages we have 2+ people who are real choices in every position (apart from maybe fullback). Think people have forgotten the warmups - remember how pants the Irish looked?! So if anything we should come to this with better form and confidence than they should.

I honestly think that Welsh players often play better when they're away from home. The pressure and excitement of playing in Cardiff (not to mention all those damn women who scream every time anyone makes a half break) seems to get to them. They look liberated out in NZ. May it continue!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:54 pm

I don't think most fans are pessimistic - far from it but most I hope are realistic.
There is a big difference.
Both Ireland & Wales have hit form at the right time.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 5:58 pm

True the injury front has gone better than it has within perhaps the last decade and I'm hoping that doesn't end soon. The starters and the reserves are standing up and giving top class, passionate performances. For the first time in years we look like we're respecting the threat that any opposition poses and concentrating fully on doing everything within our ability to get the result. We have the quality to beat the Irish but we need to match them in belief. They'll have a home atmosphere to boost them, hopefully as many of us as possible can work to erase that but even if not the boys have it in them to silence Fields Of Athenry.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:15 pm

Why will they have a home atmosphere? Are there a lot more Irish fans out there, or something?

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:24 pm

I could be wrong but I'm prepared for the worst from now on and the evidence so far is that the Irish fans are out in force for every game. Also a lot of claims that a lot of native NZ'ers have been converted to the green jersey by the Irish games thus far. I thought the Aussies looked shellshocked by the atmosphere which will have gone a long way to fuelling Irish confidence.

We've been up against it since day one with the group we've had and I wouldn't have it any other way. ******* believe!

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:30 pm

Both Ireland and Wales have hit form at the right time.

Yes i agree with you on that, but what this means is it should be a cracker of a game,and because both teams are on form right now, it will be a shame to see one of them lose.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:50 pm

Good post. Never knew welsh fans could have a sensible conversation about their team..you must do it in private..bit like the french. We all know they really speak English in private..

Marcus the reason there are so many irish out there is down to the economic downturn and the curse of emigration

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 04 Oct 2011, 6:56 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:Both Ireland and Wales have hit form at the right time.

Yes i agree with you on that, but what this means is it should be a cracker of a game,and because both teams are on form right now, it will be a shame to see one of them lose.
Very good of you to say so madge I couldn't agree more...!

I wont be surprised if the winner of this game will be a finalist

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Shifty Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:32 pm

My gut instinct tells me this will be Irelands time to do something special, Welsh rugby has had so many special moments but Ireland rarely have any at international level, I think they will finish third this year, like Wales did in 1987.

World Cups arent about pretty rugby, tries and form, it's about teams dogging out results and Ireland are better at that than us.
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:41 pm

No pessimism here.We have been professional thoughout.No nonsense on or off the pitch.Played some pretty effective Rugby.If Ireland are to compete and/or beat us they will have played really well.Cannot see it happening/Hope it doesnt happen.If both sides play to their best abilities it will be a cracker and Wales will prevail.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:42 pm

The Welsh have been pessimistic? I haven't seen any pessimism. In fact they're bubbling up to a peak in their constant bipolar journey between vastly inflated optimism and deep despair. On another thread I saw a Welsh poster name a world XV with with 9 Welsh players in it. And it's not even as bad yet as it was after they won the Grand Slam.

If they beat Ireland I think Wales might actually explode. I love this bouncing between ecstasy and agony with Welsh fans. It's quite mad. But to be fair to them they have every right to be optimistic this time. The rugby world seems to be looking forward to the Celtic quarter final above all the others. I hope we both give it our best and give them all an absolute cracker.

I really hope one of these teams breaks the dominance of the old big 5 and becomes the 6th team to reach a final and maybe even go a step further. I'd much prefer it to be Ireland obviously. But if Ireland lose I reckon most of us will be wishing Wales all the best in semi's.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:43 pm

Someone kick Alyn out, will you! No room for his nonsense in here Wink

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Tue 04 Oct 2011, 7:44 pm

Feckless - I agree. If you do beat us, I'll be cheering Ireland the rest of the way, I think.

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm

I suspect both Wales and Irish fans hope England scrape a win over France as both Wales and Ireland fancy England rather than France to get to the final. England look worse than average so far apart from against Romania who are probably better than the USA and Russia.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 04 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

I have been optimistic since the first warm up game in Twickenham even though we lost that match.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Tue 04 Oct 2011, 9:34 pm

Except, Alyn, rugby is hardly about fairness and taking turns at glory now is it? It's been our turn to beat SA for a long time running and somehow we still haven't done it. It's been a region's turn to win the HC now that the English, French and Irish have all done it, yet we haven't even made one measly final. And I'd say Ireland's turn to win the GS was overdue by at least fifty years.

No room for opposition sympathy here mate, now you can get with the program or buy yourself an Irish flag and a leprechaun doll, your choice butt boxing

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:47 pm

Great post - I think everyone outside Wales is underestimating this welsh team, they are young, powerful and ruthless and they wil not lie down, if Ireland take the lead it wont matter, these boys have all it takes to come through. I think we will break Ireland this weekend and we will do it in a professional and ruthless manner. I see yellow cards for Ireland and maybe red with their frustration boiling over thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:50 pm

I'm sorry but Welsh pessimism? I'm yet to see that especially on these forums!!!!
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:52 pm

Then you just look for the welsh stereotype like many others then Bullsbok thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 04 Oct 2011, 10:59 pm

glamorganalun wrote:I suspect both Wales and Irish fans hope England scrape a win over France as both Wales and Ireland fancy England rather than France to get to the final. England look worse than average so far apart from against Romania who are probably better than the USA and Russia.

On form i agree and i hope France win for this reason, but on English RWC history, the further into a comp they get the more irritatingly effective they are at scraping the ugly W. they will raise their game each round and whilst i think Les Bleus are totally due one i also think there is such discord in their camp that they will lose.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gelodge Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:33 pm

MarcusHalberstram wrote:George North and Jamie Roberts are quite frankly the most intimidating backs in the competition

laughing

I'm sure the likes of Nonu, SBW, de Villiers & Fourie are terrified.

MarcusHalberstram wrote:we’re up against opposition we have beaten fairly regularly during the last few years.

One unconvincing win from the last three attempts. Two from six in the last five years. Three wins from twelve attempts in the last decade.

gelodge

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:45 pm

I don't think a few posters on here are that confident their side will win if they were they would spend far less time criticising the opposition.
I'm happy with the way Wales are playing and have every confidence that our squad are quite capable of doing the business Saturday

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Tue 04 Oct 2011, 11:48 pm

gelodge wrote:
MarcusHalberstram wrote:George North and Jamie Roberts are quite frankly the most intimidating backs in the competition

laughing

I'm sure the likes of Nonu, SBW, de Villiers & Fourie are terrified.

MarcusHalberstram wrote:we’re up against opposition we have beaten fairly regularly during the last few years.

One unconvincing win from the last three attempts. Two from six in the last five years. Three wins from twelve attempts in the last decade.

I would have to agree. We need less superlatives and more reality. Wales can win this weekend. That is all that needs to be said, I want to see all the talk on the pitch.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:50 am

"I'm sure the likes of Nonu, SBW, de Villiers & Fourie are terrified."

You're name-hunting there surely. I frankly don't see SBW and de Villiers as intimidating. Skilled, undoubtedly but intimidating no, just no. I'd rate Nonu as intimidating and Fourie maybe borderline.

We have two from four against the Irish since 2008, that is definitely regular compared to before. Come Saturday afternoon it'll be three from five Wink

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bullsbok Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:07 am

I really dont see Dr Roberts as intimidating either , and the Welsh Jonah Lomu doesnt strike fear into many hearts .
Bullsbok
Bullsbok

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:22 am

Welsh Jonah Lomu?

More like Neil from The Inbetweeners.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:27 am

Early doors yet, two tries as a baby (in pro rugby terms) against the (soon to be ex) world champs looks intimidating to me. Just wait until Jonah North is 23 years old, then you'll know what intimidation means devil

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:44 am

What was the end result in that match against an understrength Bok team with home advantage again?

And how many tries did he rack up in his next loss to SA?

Baby-faced North tackles like a girl. Hello Kitty is more intimidating.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by Glas a du Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:14 am

I'd like to see your face if he shook your hand.
Glas a du
Glas a du

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:26 am

RubyGuby wrote:I think everyone outside Wales is underestimating this welsh team

That really isn't true. The consensus seems to be that Wales and Ireland are both looking very good indeed.

As for optimism versus pessimism, it doesn't make any difference how we as fans feel. What matters is that the players take the field knowing that they can win, which they can. It's no guarantee that they will, though. This match is just too tough to call. I can't wait!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 8:39 am

Knowsit17 wrote:Early doors yet, two tries as a baby (in pro rugby terms) against the (soon to be ex) world champs looks intimidating to me. Just wait until Jonah North is 23 years old, then you'll know what intimidation means devil

Mate those two tries any good winger could have scored, he didn't have to beat one defender.

The first try was an inside pass through a gap and went over untouched. a rehearsed move well executed, nothing more.

His second try was from a cross kick from hook, all he had to do was catch and drop.

In his career he has now scored 8 tries from 11 tests, not counting the brabarian match as wales is the only country awarding tests for Barbarian matches.

So yes he is a good international winger at this stage with a lot of promise, he certianly has all the right components to become world class, but as yet a little early to tell.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by radelven Wed 05 Oct 2011, 12:33 pm

Glas a du wrote:I'd like to see your face if he shook your hand.

If you and he were afforded that privilege you'd notice that he was looking up at me, I'm 6'7". I don't know about you, but I'm not intimidated by teenagers that are smaller than me.

radelven

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcusHalberstram Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:01 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
RubyGuby wrote:I think everyone outside Wales is underestimating this welsh team

That really isn't true. The consensus seems to be that Wales and Ireland are both looking very good indeed.

As for optimism versus pessimism, it doesn't make any difference how we as fans feel. What matters is that the players take the field knowing that they can win, which they can. It's no guarantee that they will, though. This match is just too tough to call. I can't wait!

I respectfully disagree Luckless - how the fans feel certainly filters down to the players - even if it is greatly diluted. Sure - the lions share of any player's belief must come from within, but sport (like art) is not created in a void. If the fans are self-doubting and pessimistic it filters down. Time to keep positive for Saturday. If we can be, then the players will be!

Come on Wales!

MarcusHalberstram

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:16 pm

I've actually noticed quite a few informed Irish fans on here suggest that they fear the welsh front row and the scrum in general - They also have concerns about Bests replacement so I would see that as some realism as opposed to pessimism. The only one that concerns me is BOD - I won't bother explaining why! thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:18 pm

No pessimism here.

Quietly confident is my mood.

I like the fact that all I am hearing at the moment from media, fans and players is Ireland Ireland Ireland. No daft comments from the Welsh boys just an underlying confidence of being able to get the job done.

I'd like Wales to beat Ireland convincingly. I would settle for 3 - 0.

But quietly confident I am!! Cool

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:20 pm

did you know the closest most dire winning score is 6-5.

2 penalties vs 1 penalty try with the conversion missing from right in front.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:22 pm

Agree with that Marcus, it's up to us fans to set the best example possible and get behind the team 100% of the time. It's always better for the players if whatever support they have is roaring their confidence in them as the Irish will undoubtedly confirm with the green armies they've drawn.

Though I have to say the sentiments of "Everybody outside Wales underestimates us" are getting tedious. What concerns me is winning the game, global admiration for our athletes is a bonus, not a priority.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:25 pm

biltongbek wrote:did you know the closest most dire winning score is 6-5.

I think the conversion went over Bilton but the ref refused to give it or go to the TMO thumbsup Yahoo

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:29 pm

Ruby, I quite like you as a poster but is there any chance you could lay off the dancey-dance emoticon?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Wed 05 Oct 2011, 1:39 pm

RubyGuby wrote:
biltongbek wrote:did you know the closest most dire winning score is 6-5.

I think the conversion went over Bilton but the ref refused to give it or go to the TMO thumbsup Yahoo

yeah fortunately for the losing team it happened in the 15th minute of the game and they did have time to get back into the match, but weren't good enough. Yahoo laughing Yahoo laughing Hug kiss
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:25 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:Ruby, I quite like you as a poster but is there any chance you could lay off the dancey-dance emoticon?

Crying or Very sad That better thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:35 pm

Sorry Ruby, it's just that there was a previous poster (now departed / banned) who used the dancey-dance man after every post. I'm not asking you to stop using it altogether, just saying that sometimes less is more.

Yahoo Wink

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:36 pm

"Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism. "

Some realism would be nice

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Wed 05 Oct 2011, 2:56 pm

caoimhincentre wrote:"Welsh fans - Time to stop the pessimism. "

Some realism would be nice

Ok we'll go for realism as long as you back it up with a sense of "you never know there's just a slight chance that Wales might win", slight of course, slim even, about as slim as a slice of Warburtons. About as slim as ROG running the 95 yards to score the winning Lions try v SA instead of playing punt ball, about as slim as a ball boy being MOM in an international match after creating the winning try about as slim as Devon Toner who remains 7ft 15 inches and 8 stone. They are all slim chances but surely Wales have one of them thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by caoimhincentre Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:01 pm

I have stated all along that it is going to be a close game with either side having the ability to win.

caoimhincentre

Back to top Go down

Post by MunsterMac Wed 05 Oct 2011, 3:16 pm

we’re up against opposition we have beaten fairly regularly during the last few years.

Depends on what your definition of 'regularly' is I suppose.

Years in which Wales have beaten Ireland since rugby turned pro:

2011, 2008, 2005, 2000 & 1998.

Unless your talking about club rugby of course in which case.... oh hang on. Wink

MunsterMac

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Wed 05 Oct 2011, 4:45 pm

Jeez. When's the last time Wales have beaten Ireland twice in a row? I bet ye wish ye didn't win that 6 Nations match now. Hehe.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next