The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive.

5 posters

Go down

Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive. Empty Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive.

Post by Shifty Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:41 pm

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbynation/cardiff-blues/2011/10/05/bob-norster-to-step-down-as-blues-chief-executive-91466-29546076/

Bob Norster is to step down as chief executive of Cardiff Blues.

The former Wales and Lions second row has called time on a 10-year tenure in charge at the old Cardiff club and then the Blues when the Welsh game went regional in 2003.

Norster presided over a revival in the Blues' fortunes in the last three seasons, when they reached the Heineken Cup semi-final and won the Anglo-Welsh competition and Amlin Chalenge Cup.

The former Wales team manager is the second high profile departure from the Blues in recent months, with Dai Young having left during the summer to take charge of London Wasps.

"Following considerable deliberation since the summer period, I now believe it is an appropriate time for a successor to carry forward the colours and build on the success of recent years. It has been an absolute privilege to have led the Blues since its inception and indeed to have proudly represented Cardiff RFC prior, both as a player and administrator.

"After what has been an amazing and eventful journey over more than ten years as CEO, I would like to thank the board of directors for the opportunity and Chairman, Peter Thomas in particular for his invaluable support to me and the team throughout my time at the helm.

"I would especially like to acknowledge the commitment and hard work of the players, coaches and especially the staff who have given such dedication both to me and to their roles. I would also like to thank the sponsors and supporters of the team who themselves have stayed so loyal throughout the ongoing evolution of the Regional game.

"Unsurprisingly, given my involvement with the ‘institution’ over what has been literally a lifetime, my loyalty will forever remain with the team that I’ll continue to passionately support. Ymlaen y Gleision”.

Chairman, Peter Thomas speaking of the announcement said:

"I know Bob has given great thought and reflection since the summer before making this conclusion and consequently I accept the difficult decision he has made. We will now likewise take our time to ensure we move forward in a considered fashion and in doing so look to build on the strong platform established by Bob and the wider team over the recent past.

"It is with genuine heartfelt thanks that I write to express my gratitude and that of so many others to Bob for his unstinting efforts throughout his long and illustrious career with both Cardiff RFC and the Blues.

"Bob has been at the core of our organisation throughout the many challenges and successes of our Region. He is a much respected figure across the rugby-playing world, not just for his playing achievements, but also for his knowledge, honesty and integrity he has consistently demonstrated as a leading rugby administrator. On behalf of us all, I sincerely thank him and wish him and his Family every future health and happiness in all that lies ahead."
Shifty
Shifty

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive. Empty Re: Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive.

Post by wales606 Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:31 pm

At the moment, I think its half the players that need to 'step down'

Norster has done an alright job to date, although the internal disputes are a real problem. I wonder, as stated on the Blues forum, if the resignation of Cardiff FC's Gethin Jenkins has any relevance.

First Dia Young now this, Rats, shinking ships?
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive. Empty Re: Cardiff Blues: Bob Norster to step down as chief executive.

Post by XR Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:35 am

Dai Young left because he knew he couldn't take the blues any further

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingshu Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:02 am

I don't know rats of a sinking ship might be right.

No money and No new Players and Young leaves because he can't take them further, as he has to sell to buy and bring youth through to replace an aging team, he knew it would be at least a 5 year project to get them up to where they want to be, so left to when be had a better chance as a coach.

Chief Executive leaves as he knows that there is no money and will get blamed when performaces drop, as no new players are coming in.

Who can tell me what the sititution is really like at the Blues?

1) Groundsharing a stadium with a football team only seams to work if your joint owners, or neither own the stadium, otherwise the football team seams to make a tidy profit and the rugby team struggle.
Do you think the Blues need to look at this, or are they getting the crowds needed to make a profit?

2) No new players in this year, is this because of a lack of funds on wanting to bring young players through. No new signings can dent the moral of a team.

3) aging squad, a number of key players are getting past there prime, these will need replaced, but if they can't afford to, or youth doesn't measure up to the same standard, the team overall will decline.

4) people in key positions leaving, is this either becase they feel they have done all they can for the Blues and want out while going is still good. Or are the Blues changing the guard?

From an outside view the next 4-6 years don't look good for the Blues while they have to rebuild a squad with no money (no easy task), they may have a good acadamy but so does nearly everyone else (don't think its better than many in the League). They appear to be getting decent crowds but how many do they need to make a decent profit from renting?

Forecast looks bleak, they may drp to 4th region for a while and slowy build from the ground up.

Kingshu

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:19 pm

Quote from the Blues forum

"i heard a little story, (rumour, BS if you will), last week that he was off because PT WON'T use the get out of the stadium clause at the end of this season. At the time i thought Bull Sh@t now i am not so sure......"
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by Smirnoffpriest Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 am

Doesn't look good for the Blues, there doesn't seem as many youngsters coming through, definately not forwards any with many experience, theres Fish and Cuthburt in the backs, and their shining star - Warbs is going to be away for a significant period of this season with Wales.

Be interesting to know whats happened with Norster adn the story behind it, but one thing is for sure it's going to be an interesting battle for HC qualification between the Welsh regions

Smirnoffpriest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down