The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hook gets the nod

+27
Noble-Surfer
Shifty
Seagultaf
Taffineastbourne
Casartelli
mckay1402
Peter Seabiscuit Wheeler
gelodge
andy powells minder
BATH_BTGOG
Glas a du
TheGreyGhost
Rollmeister
walesworldcup
HERSH
Comfort
RubyGuby
dogtooth
gavstar
Cymroglan
bedfordwelsh
Luckless Pedestrian
Runster
munkian
doctornickolas
samuraidragon
Gatts
31 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Hook gets the nod - Page 3 Empty Hook gets the nod

Post by Gatts Thu 13 Oct 2011, 2:46 am

First topic message reminder :

Wales team: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues); George North (Scarlets), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys); James Hook (Perpignan), Mike Phillips (Bayonne); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Luke Charteris (Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Dragons) Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues, capt), Toby Faletau (Dragons).

Replacements: Lloyd Burns (Dragons), Paul James (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Lloyd Williams (Cardiff Blues), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Scott Williams (Scarlets).

After only 5 minutes of rugby at 10 in this RWC, James Hook takes the reins in the biggest game in Wales history, since the last one.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Hook gets the nod - Page 3 Empty Re: Hook gets the nod

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:03 am

radelven I have faith in our players and coaching staff they have got us this far.
World cup semi final is no time to be so negative believe man believe. Wales

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 14 Oct 2011, 6:01 am

Redlaven.
If we include Namibia and the ba bas. Wales are 2 wins from 10. A lot may have been against SH teams. Including a 2nd string SA team. Still 2 from 10 and in this time Wales were averaging just over 1 try a game.
I never thought before the WC id be gutted to see priestland.not start and I too am worried about hook.
All I'll say is, who else thought they'd see Bennett, charteris and the like perform as well as they have done., s hook may have the most composed game of his life. The way our back row is playing, we could have dan biggar at 10 and still win!!!
Can't wait to face Australia in the final!!!

Last edited by manofgwent on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 6:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:33 am

Taffineastbourne wrote:What a fantastic selection.This lays down to France our intent.We are coming at you.SJ would have been a conservative selection and I applaud WG for his boldness.
We have gone as far as we hoped for so,what the hell,lets give it a rip!Superb!!!!!!!!!
Anyone who finds fault should be ashamed.Never did like puritans.

Puritans? I have to conclude you don't know who the Puritans were.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:58 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:
Taffineastbourne wrote:What a fantastic selection.This lays down to France our intent.We are coming at you.SJ would have been a conservative selection and I applaud WG for his boldness.
We have gone as far as we hoped for so,what the hell,lets give it a rip!Superb!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, we aren't monks not puritans.

PuriTan, sounds like Gavin Henson might be involved.

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:06 am

Roundheads vs. Cavaliers, Gladstone versus Disraeli, Clapton versus Hendrix, Delia Smith vs. Nigella, Federer vs. McEnroe, Prost vs. Senna, etc etc.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:27 am

I will never understand certain posters' sheer ignorance in blaming just one player for a loss. Sure we may not have wone that many games with Stevo at 10 in the recent past against SH opposition, but hey let's ignore the fact that 14 other players were on the pitch as well for Wales, right?

Completely barmy. Well done guys.

Personally I would prefer Stephen Jones to start, but I think Gats going with Hook is a really gutsy call. Hook can play well at 10, I just hope he manages to control it for the full 80. The great thing is, if that if he starts to struggle, we have Stephen to call up on. We are one of the few squads in this rwc that have 3 very good 10's to call on and we should be greatful.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seagultaf Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:32 am

I think Gavstar may have the answer. The pictures from training early in the week all showed Jones playing at 10. The only reason that I can think that Gatland has chosen Dan Biggar's Deputy over the Lion's test 10, is that Jones is not fully recovered from his calf injury!

Huge risk...or Huge oportunity for Hook, probably both.

Seagultaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:36 am

luckless_pedestrian wrote:

Wrong!

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:38 am

Okay sorry, but what do the Puritans have to do with criticising a Welsh team selection? That's what I don't understand.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:03 am

rugbydreamer wrote:I will never understand certain posters' sheer ignorance in blaming just one player for a loss.

I agree with this. These posters who keep saying "Hook is going to lose us the game," "I had Wales down to win, but now I think France will go through," "Hook will throw a couple of intercepts then it will be all over..." - sheer ignorance.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:14 am

Aye saumrai, it applies to everyone, whether they're discussing Jones or Hook. There are particualr posters on here that seem to delight in sticking the boot into Jones at any opportunity though. I can't understand it, and it makes me feel quite sad really. He's been an amazing servant for Welsh rugby over the years and still has a hell of a lot to offer. It's a shame certain posters can't recognise this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:18 am

Wellies is one of those players whose true value will be appreciated after he's gone. He's not a dashing outside half, he never has been, but he's been quality for season after season and he never has a bad word to say about anyone. No one who has been voted best player in the French league is a bad player. Time will tell whether Hook will get the same accolade during his time at Perpignan.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:33 am

I agree with these sentiments. SJ has been a great servant of Welsh rugby and is by all accounts a great guy who has the respect of other players and coaches. He did very well in France and has put in some outstanding performances in his time, most notably the Paris game in 2005 which won us the slam. He was also very good in the 2003 world cup game vs. the All Blacks.

Where we are going to differ is I think he has been on the slide since the Lions tour (also fine performances from him) and that Gatland has made the right choice in preferring Hook, who has got a lot more to offer at 10 right now in 2011.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:49 am

I am surprised that some Welsh fans appear not to have learned from the Ireland game.Ireland went for the experienced steady-eddie at 10.Look what happened there.
The selection has been made and all the griping and grumbling is all to no avail.
SJ has been a great servant but like Martyn Williams his days are behind him.Hook has an international future whilst SJ has an international past.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 14 Oct 2011, 9:57 am

Dreamer. I know those comments are aimed at me. Personally I thought jones would have played and it might have been the better selection. Only time will tell.
I don't blame jones for those losses. As you said, he's been a great servant. I do think that hook takes an awful lot of stick and I'm just trying to balance the argument.
It's a bold choice and I'm praying it's the right choice. Ireland went back to o gara and it didnt come off.
I don't want to be having this argument. Whoever is picked now, we have to support fully.
I do have my concerns about hook too, but I for one didn't think priestland would have performed as well as he has.
Fingers crossed it's the right call and we make the final. Another big performance from our back row and I think we'll sneak it and if fit fit id start with priestland at 10 for the final. Fingers crossed.
Come on boys!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:00 am

Having thought about it for a bit I think Hook is a good selection at 10 for this game, with our most attacking players coming back into form, Hook might get a few chances to shine. As long as he brings other players into the game like Priestland does we shouldnt have any problems.

My main hope is the French will have done their homework on our entire backline and realise there is a threat in each of the players, which may leave marking quite difficult.

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:01 am

manofgwent wrote:Dreamer. I know those comments are aimed at me. Personally I thought jones would have played and it might have been the better selection. Only time will tell.
I don't blame jones for those losses. As you said, he's been a great servant. I do think that hook takes an awful lot of stick and I'm just trying to balance the argument.
It's a bold choice and I'm praying it's the right choice. Ireland went back to o gara and it didnt come off.
I don't want to be having this argument. Whoever is picked now, we have to support fully.
I do have my concerns about hook too, but I for one didn't think priestland would have performed as well as he has.
Fingers crossed it's the right call and we make the final. Another big performance from our back row and I think we'll sneak it and if fit fit id start with priestland at 10 for the final. Fingers crossed.
Come on boys!!!

+ 1

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:02 am

Great post Gatts.

Informative and opinionated, what would 606v2 do without you?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:07 am

IronMike wrote:Having thought about it for a bit I think Hook is a good selection at 10 for this game, with our most attacking players coming back into form, Hook might get a few chances to shine. As long as he brings other players into the game like Priestland does we shouldnt have any problems.

My main hope is the French will have done their homework on our entire backline and realise there is a threat in each of the players, which may leave marking quite difficult.

We're offering threats and game-breakers across the line from 9 to 15. Gatland has been criticized for conservatism before, justly sometimes, but this is a balls-out attacking formation 2005-style, but with a much stronger forward platform.

C'MON WALES!!!!!!!

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:09 am

Oh dear you really are a langer...really got under your skin, couldn't let it go.

Be sure to attack the post not the poster Wink

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:09 am

Dear Mike Phillips: let's have some quick ball, eh?

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:13 am

Wales showed intent when Roberts smashed O'Callaghan in the first attack of the match and we need more of the same tomorrow.
We want to be in the French faces for the full 80 minutes.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:20 am

I really mean it, great post clap
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:23 am

HERSH wrote:I really mean it, great post clap

I really mean it too rose

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:40 am

i agree with samurai, the discussion is tired now, hooks in and thats that. BUT(as you might guess!) I think Ironmike has illustrated where fans, media are maybe to blame somewhat in the type of 'wonder things' hook attempts.

ironmike said 'Hook might get a few chances to shine' He's not the only one to say this. Why is there pressure for him to shine? hook reads the press like everyone else.

We must get away from this idea that someone has to shine. do your job and thats all we want, as this young team have shown.no glory how many people have said of the welsh team its hard to pick out the best performer, thats how it should be, thats a real team.

taking this a little further, think of some dads on the touch line. especially the dads of no.9 and 10, they invariably want their boy to be the star. how often do we see good kids become selfish kids, they go on to senior level and so much of their game is entrenched they go no further.

lets hope sam warburton and his TEAM are held up as examples of team work by the coaches of our young impressionable players.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:42 am

Gatts relax it’s a complement, great post man great post notworthy

You rugby knowledge puts us all to shame. Ok!
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:52 am

HERSH wrote:Gatts relax it’s a complement, great post man great post notworthy

You rugby knowledge puts us all to shame. Ok!

Thanks for the advice. You being an 'ex pro' I will listen.

What position were you? Think the other day you said you weren't far off Will Greenwood?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:57 am

A little off topic isn't it?
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:58 am

You both have been. Behave yourselves please.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 10:59 am

manofgwent wrote:Dreamer. I know those comments are aimed at me. Personally I thought jones would have played and it might have been the better selection. Only time will tell.
Come on boys!!!

ah nah MoG, not just at you, I just don't see why when defending Hook, people have to really rip into Stevo. Just can't understand it myself!

And I agree with a lot of this post, Ymlaen Cymru Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:11 am

Fair point. Enjoy if it's possible to. How much do I not want to be in work today!?!?

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

I don't think any of us want to be in work! Not long to go now though....

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:39 am

I love work, why?

Because I'm my own boss and I get to drive my new Aston to and from work most days.

Nice Very Happy
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:43 am

HERSH wrote:I love work, why?

Because I'm my own boss and I get to drive my new Aston to and from work most days.

Nice Very Happy

I knew it...you're victor ubogu!!

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by HERSH Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:46 am

Not bad, I was a tighthead.
HERSH
HERSH

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:22 pm

Wales need an unelaborate FH to stick to the patterns and bring the firing components of the team into play. Hook isn't that player. I fear Wales are going to finally realise the hard way why so many coaches haven't stuck with him at 10. I hope for your sakes that the majority of neutral pundits are wrong.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:30 pm

James Hook the new Perpignan fly-half Very Happy

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:41 pm

Me and a few others have said as much over and over niwatts.Yet again the press(south wales evening post) are saying this is hooks chance, chance to do what I fear. They even say its his chance to impress the french before he starts playing there.

All this adds to the 'hook must do something ' mentality. His fans are not happy with rhys priestland being so similar to sjones.

Stuart Davies said he thought Gatland would have gone with sjones, as have a few pundits. We deserve this win. I wasnt going to say any more, you got me at it again! Please Mr Hook just kick goals and pass the ball.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

Don't see Priestland and Jones as being all that similar, to be frank. Priestland is fast and has a good break on him. Both are limited as kickers-out-of-hand, though. I'd say the nearest to Stephen Jones in style amongst the younger 10s is Biggar.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Cymroglan wrote:James Hook the new Perpignan fly-half Very Happy

They haven't had the experience of playing him yet. The coaches that have don't tend to stick with him at FH.

Maybe he'll fit better into Perpignan's style of play. They've got plenty of back up at 10 if necessary though, 4 in total, and only 2 15s. It's a shame they've got so many top centres though as that's where I think he is at his best.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:32 pm

niwatts
Wales are fortunate that we have three good players that can slot into the 10 position.
There is no need for you to worry Hook will be fine tomorrow our coaching staff will have seen how he is performing in training.
Keep the faith Wales

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Hook gets the nod - Page 3 Empty Hook's last game at 10

Post by wonder_man Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:26 pm

In the warm ups, 28-13 win vs Argentina (just as a scaler not a dissimilar score to NZ 33-10 win over the pumas).
Not exactly fresh in the memory but as far as i can remember he ran things well, kicked well and we came through after the argies faded (just like NZ).
Their try came from a driving maul and our lot came from back play.
Just to dispell any thought he may have forgotten how to play 10, hes more than competant Wink

Merging this with the existing Hook thread - KRD

wonder_man

Back to top Go down

Post by gavstar Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:19 pm

Yes samurai, biggar has a good rugby brain and vision, he just needs to be better at executing what he's thinking.
Obviously rhys is not the same as jones is now you wouldnt expect him to be, he has however learned his craft under jones at the scarlets.
rhys plays a structured game, yes he makes quick breaks, but 80% of the time the move leads to something else, mainly because he doesnt cut down the space the centres have by running across the field.

Ask the scarlets fans about steven jones and the development of priestland.

gavstar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3