The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How France will win.

+28
slartibartfast
samuraidragon
R!skysports
brennomac
BlueNote
Comfort
radelven
Shifty
Taylorman
Gatts
player1
Notch
Taffineastbourne
mckay1402
TycroesOsprey
Cymroglan
gavstar
gelodge
munkian
Knowsit17
asoreleftshoulder
EnglishReign
andy powells minder
RubyGuby
rodders
Standulstermen
ME-109
32 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How France will win. - Page 2 Empty How France will win.

Post by ME-109 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 4:18 pm

First topic message reminder :

France will follow the same tactics as they did against England.

Main tactics..
1. Dominate the forwards as they did against England.
2. Create pressure and penalties.
3. Keep the scoreboard ticking over. They wont turn down kicks at goal (alá Ireland) and expect to see them attempting drop goals at every opportunity in the first 20 - 30 mins.
4. The do not give away many penalties and while there defense fell apart abit against NZ they showed last week that they have a strong defense and as noted dont give away too many penalties.

I dont think we can expect a swashbuckling performance from their backs or that they will attempt to run the ball at every opportunity. I think that they will hold onto the ball as much as possible they will (unlike Ireland) maul the ball and pick and go around the fringes keeping the defense honest, they then get one of the second rows running hard in midfield (around 10 metres from the previous ruck) and look for quick ball of that situation. It is here where they punished England in the first half.

Big test for Wales in the physicality stakes but they have handled SA and Ireland so if they can keep their shape and dont let the French forwards through the middle then it bodes well for them. We have yet another tremendous back row battle and front row battle.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

How France will win. - Page 2 Empty Re: How France will win.

Post by ME-109 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 11:37 pm

Cheers Cymro no need, I knew it wasnt.

Very true about the team effort thing, in fairness Wales on this form should win, you just dont know what this French team will do. If the play as they did in the first half against England they will make a good game of it.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:01 am

Wales just need to look at the things that came out of the 3 matches- Samoa, SA and Ireland. The extraction and reuse of the good stuff from those matches will see them home I reckon.

With France, they'll do whatever they do, and sometimes you just can't control it other than do your own thing.

Man I'm looking forward to both games...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:06 am

Taylorman how's the weather looking for the weekend ?

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by player1 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:31 am

The French can look to last March’s 28-9 mauling of Wales for solace because they have 11 starters from that battering in Paris

Last edited by player1 on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
player1
player1

Back to top Go down

Post by player1 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:32 am

Wales made basic errors to gift French lock Lionel Nallet his tries. One suspects such a laissez-faire policy won’t be there tomorrow because Welsh minds will be firmly focused on the task ahead.

player1
player1

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:44 am

player1 wrote:The French can look to last March’s 28-9 mauling of Gatland’s Wales for solace because they have 11 starters from that battering in Paris

I think that would be a big mistake if they do that. I think Ireland underestimated Wales and didn't appreciate how far they had come since the 6N.

This is a different Welsh side playing a different style of Rugby. Will they be able to play the same way without Priestland though?

Priestland seems very controlled and makes great descisions whereas Hook is a bit more instinctive and may be a bit more inclined to take unnecessary chances.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by player1 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 11:47 am

roddersm wrote:
player1 wrote:The French can look to last March’s 28-9 mauling of Gatland’s Wales for solace because they have 11 starters from that battering in Paris

I think that would be a big mistake if they do that. I think Ireland underestimated Wales and didn't appreciate how far they had come since the 6N.

This is a different Welsh side playing a different style of Rugby. Will they be able to play the same way without Priestland though?

Priestland seems very controlled and makes great descisions whereas Hook is a bit more instinctive and may be a bit more inclined to take unnecessary chances.
I agree Wales are playing at a driffrent pace and could go all the way
player1
player1

Back to top Go down

Post by player1 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:59 pm

player1 wrote:
roddersm wrote:

I agree Wales are playing at a driffrent pace and could go all the way
i dont think we have seen the best of priestland in my opinion hes still a bit nervous and afraid to take the Big Hits ,, I think he will learn from this RWC and play better for it ,Time will tell ...
player1
player1

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:03 pm

andy powells minder wrote:Welsh forwards will DOMINATE (hope he doesnt mind the copyright infringement!) Very Happy

Laugh

Glad someone else has been plagueurising from the Brand himself!

Honestly, Im scared of France, but I havent half read some tripe on here.

The French pack is meant to be taking ours to the cleaners, Roberts has no hope of running into/past Rougerie, Harinordiquay will beast our backrow and Hook will try and win the game himself or throw 3 intercepts that lose us the game.....

This Welsh pack has gotten the best of SA/Samoa/Fiji/Ireland already. The French pack were undone by the physicality of Tonga.

Roberts has had no problem bashing through second & back rows all competition and its taken (at the very least) 2 backs to bring him down at any one point. This is why I dont fear for him against Rougerie.

The French backrow is excellant, but so was the Irish backrow, in a different way, but my point is, I dont think our backrow will be any more worried about the French backrow than the Irish one. That Irish backrow had received plaudits across the competition for their fierce play, the french back row havent looked great, but theyre all very good players.

Hook was the favourite for the 10 jersey amongst us fans and playd some very good pragmatic rugby in the 6ns, he also played some bad rugby. Hes an enigma, hes very good, or very bad. This is my biggest worry, but honestly, he gives another threat between 9 and 12 that the backrow will have to watch.

That said, im no less-nervous about this match than I was against Ireland, France always have THAT performance in them, I see no logical reason why they will produce THAT performance, but aye, their french and who knows.

The French are a very good side with inconsistent form at the moment, and their heads do tend to drop (see Tonga/NZ for large portions of the match). Still nervous, nervous, ver very nervous.

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:31 pm

Comfort wrote:
That said, im no less-nervous about this match than I was against Ireland, France always have THAT performance in them, I see no logical reason why they will produce THAT performance, but aye, their french and who knows.

You guys need to chillax zen .

All this talk about France putting in a big performance is making you nervous. Lets face it if France were going to put in a massive performance they would do it against England, the side they hate the most and not Wales, who they neither hate, fear nor respect to quite the same degree.

In fact I think that 1st 40 mins against England was France's big performance and the fact they couldn't sustain it for 80 min and could of still lost it at the end shows where this French side is physically and Mentally.

No doubt France will put Wales under serious pressure at times and will always be a threat on the counterrattack but I think if Wales can play as composed as they were against Ireland then they will be the winning side after 80min.

Wales guinness
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by player1 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:33 pm

roddersm wrote:
Comfort wrote:

You guys need to chillax zen .

All this talk about France putting in a big performance is making you nervous. Lets face it if France were going to put in a massive performance they would do it against England, the side they hate the most and not Wales, who they neither hate, fear nor respect to quite the same degree.

In fact I think that 1st 40 mins against England was France's big performance and the fact they couldn't sustain it for 80 min and could of still lost it at the end shows where this French side is physically and Mentally.

No doubt France will put Wales under serious pressure at times and will always be a threat on the counterrattack but I think if Wales can play as composed as they were against Ireland then they will be the winning side after 80min.

Wales guinness
well said
player1
player1

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:37 pm

Agreed rodders, France have been criminally ignored in the drama of England's exit. I thought their performance, first half if not second, was fast, furious and underrated. Of course England could have played better but it takes two to decide the result of games like this and who knows...maybe, just maybe, England played badly because France were the better side and didn't let them play well Run

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueNote Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:41 pm

I thought individual French players very were good against England, Bonnaire and Harinordoquy in particular. I didn't think the team looked that strong overall, and I think they'd have to step up a gear to beat Wales, but they are capable of doing that. I am just hoping they don't!

BlueNote

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:43 pm

Knowsit I think France blew England away in that 1st half were very impressive. However England definitely shaded that second half, whether that was down to England or France or both is neither here nor there.

If France weren't able to sustain that level of intensity against England I don't think they will against Wales and that is what they need to do to win I think, if Wales can keep to the same level of performance that they've been producing.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:45 pm

Comfort is only getting his underwear in a twist with nerves...its not that France will DOMINATE in all aspects etc etc its what Rodders says they have the ability but so do Wales (a highly confident Wales).

I do think that France played a very controlled game in the second half against England and never looked in any danger...but they were definitely flagging at one stage...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:47 pm

ahh rodders, thats cheered me up, for the next 10 minutes at least!

i've been getting very twitchy the closer each game gets! every game (bar Namibia/Fiji to an extent) has been a real 50/50 in the lead up to the game as a welsh fan. I think its starting to take its toll.

Alas, looking forward to 2 great games this wknd! Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:48 pm

I watched the England France match and reviewed it again, The French were not happy in tackling Tuilagi so with Roberts Davies and North charging at them I think we will give them a few headaches.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 14 Oct 2011, 1:53 pm

Comfort if it was Ireland I'd be stressed out of my mind! Very Happy

However as a reasonably neutral observer I am able to emotionally detach from it and observe the facts as I see them.

I wouldn't rule France out, they have too many quality players. However Wales are in a stronger position going into this game. France need and improvement to anything they've produced so far whereas Wales need more of the same I think.

This talk about a massive French performance is clutching at straws a bit I think.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by brennomac Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

There's a lot of very dismissive stuff about France from mainly Welsh posters and this I think very misplaced. Sure, Wales were very impressive against Ireland and were full value for their win, and likewise France were very good in the first half against an admittedly dire England before falling asleep in the second half.

Key elements to consider: Roberts is not going to bash Rougerie and Mermoz the same way he did Darcy and ROG; French pack will not be pushed around the way Ireland were and it's arguable that in front and second row French are marginally ahead of Wales, back row probably even although Harinordoquy is a monster while young Faletau is still very inexperienced at this level. Wales have their leaders, but so too have France with Yachvili, Hari and Nallet.

I honestly think this game it too close to call and even if Wales do win (which I think they will) I don't see much more than a score in it.

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:27 pm

Good luck to Wales, but a word of warning. I think the hype on the Welsh team is getting a little ridiculous. They have played well, but really!

SA - they lost
Samoa, - they should have lost if the ref had carded the multiple penalties every time they defended in their half and allowed a perfectly good try to samoa (and Somoa only had 3 days rest)
Ireland - they had very little ball but defended very well, but did not manage to secure and keep much possesion or territory
They have yet to beat a top SH team

They have deserved their place and I am wishing them all the best, but the hype is getting a little out of hand

Sorry to sound so negative, just does my nut in sometimes

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:33 pm

Riskysports Yes you do come across as being extremely negative when you begrudge fans their moment in the sun.
Thanks for the good luck but it does not come across like you really mean it.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:43 pm

Well I will happily celebrate their win

It does not matter which country fans come from, I dislike arrogance and hype

Maybe being Scottish I have had too many years passing by with nothing to get hyped up about, so maybe I need some inspiration :-)

Good luck, it could be a cracker

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

It's interesting if you read comments on websites like L'equipe and La Monde the French fans are as divided as we are. Some of them are saying that if the French play as they can they will win but some of them are saying that France at the moment aren't on the same level as Wales.
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:48 pm

I wish there were a few French fans on here.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:50 pm

I dont mean to be dismissive of France at all, they're a class bunch of players with undoubted talent. However, what of their talent have we seen for more than 10/20 minute bursts this world cup?

Why wont Roberts be able to crash through rougerie/mermoz like he did to Darcy/BOD (see you changed BOD to ROG and didnt mention the numerous times he's put 2nd and backrows on the harris...... Rolling Eyes ) and numerous others since the start of the world cup. So far, no single back has put Roberts down on their own, not many forwards have either, and when they have hes still made ground.

Rougerie is a very good centre, dont get me wrong, but why wouldnt roberts be able to run through him and mermoz like every other centre partnership hes come up against so far?

(Dont mean to sound pissy, just my knickers are in an awful twist before the game and i see some things i genuinely just dont understand....... Very Happy )

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:53 pm

I'm amazed at how dismissive the posters here are of France. "They were outscored by England in the second half" - the match was over (16-0) by halftime, the French were happy to sit back from then on.

France are better than Ireland - as the warm-ups showed. They won a slam in 2010 and beat New Zealand in New Zealand in 2009. Though they are not always the best NH team, they rarely drop out of the top 3, even when the coach is dire and the players are not really interested. Even when they're bad, they're good.

The Anglophone media don't want to hear it, but France are the best performing NH team of modern times (post WW2). Most Grand Slams, most championships, etc.

We'll need to be intense and accurate all the way through.

On Roberts - he's playing superb, but he's not a superman. He came off second best against Bastereaud and was shackled by Worsely. Not saying it will happen again, but this is France, for god's sake. Give them some respect. The kiwis do (from experience).

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RubyGuby Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:57 pm

I actually haven't come across any welsh fans "dismissing" France, those are the words and the imagination of the poster - It remains a 50/50 thumbsup

RubyGuby

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:03 pm

Just because somebody highlights the strengths of Wales does not mean they are being dismissive of France.

We don't need to say that Rougerie is also good in every post that mentions Roberts.
France have the respect they deserve but to try and make them out to be superheroes is ridiculous.
I like all sensible posters will judge both teams on their performance during the world cup not on what went on months or years ago.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by Comfort Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:12 pm

Samurai, from their displays in this world cup, bar a few 20 minute bursts of their quality shining through, what have they shown? Ok so they sat back, or England woke up and stepped forward? Potato-Potata to me.

The talent is there undoubtedly, and their history as you say is very, very good, but if this wales squad have shown one thing this world cup, its that history is just that, history.

This France team isn't the same beast as some that have gone before, if it is, its certainly hiding it well.

Still, as I've said, I'm very very nervous about this game and have no idea which way its going to go, the beauty of being a fan i guess Ale

Comfort

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:18 pm

Just realised that with the later kickoff (9pm New Zealand time I think) I wonder will this affect the teams. French teams are used to the later kick offs, I just wonder will it affect how the players prepare or are prepared.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymroglan Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:23 pm

World cup semi final kickoff time will play no part in the eventual result.

Cymroglan

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:25 pm

Comfort, as you say - potata, potato. It was a poor game of rugby to watch too. But England were considered favourites before that match. What happened next was a bigger humiliation than the score shows. It may end up costing Johnson his job.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TycroesOsprey Fri 14 Oct 2011, 5:34 pm

DOD wrote:Just realised that with the later kickoff (9pm New Zealand time I think) I wonder will this affect the teams. French teams are used to the later kick offs, I just wonder will it affect how the players prepare or are prepared.

8pm start in NZ. I dont think this is an issue for either team, Wales have had evening games against France before and England this year and the Magners/Pro12 matches kick off about the same time on a friday evening.

I think it probably changes the way they organise things on the matchday but I doubt it will unsettle anyone.

TycroesOsprey

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 7:18 pm

DOD wrote:Just realised that with the later kickoff (9pm New Zealand time I think) I wonder will this affect the teams. French teams are used to the later kick offs, I just wonder will it affect how the players prepare or are prepared.
You boring individual are clutching at straws.Why not mention the HC winning experience and the other guff you spouted before Wales beat Ireland?I hope that your embittered wishes do not come true.Saddo.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:07 pm

Nice one Taff..you're a credit to your countrymen.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:10 pm

DOD i predict Wales by 10 at least.
Then you cry off about how France didn't look up for it and threw the game,
Just like you did after the Ireland game "our mistakes won you the game" nonsense.

Forced mistakes DOD forced,as in Welsh pressure forced them into mistakes,
come on get on board its a basic facet of rugby.

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:17 pm

DOD wrote:Nice one Taff..you're a credit to your countrymen.
Sadly,I cannot say the same for you,DOD.Take a look at many of your fellow countrymen who do not use the energies being negative about another country.Why do you feel the need to be negative?Why cant you hold it in?Consider other people before you spout off and your world will become a better place.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:22 pm

View. I dont make any excuses as to supporting France they have always been my favourite other team.

You seem to be not only predicting a welsh win but my expected response. Pretty impressive..let's see how it goes shall we.

Like i said about ireland/wales the better team won and Ireland did make mistakes. Trys 2&3 though looked like brain farts from irish players to me. And as i said if the game was on again tomorrow do i think we wpuld win..hell yeah.

Taff may i suggest you stay in Eastbourne . The world will be a better place.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:25 pm

"Trys 2&3 though looked like brain farts from irish players to me"

Wales would have still won....? Ireland needed to score more.

slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

DOD wrote:View. I dont make any excuses as to supporting France they have always been my favourite other team.

You seem to be not only predicting a welsh win but my expected response. Pretty impressive..let's see how it goes shall we.

Like i said about ireland/wales the better team won and Ireland did make mistakes. Trys 2&3 though looked like brain farts from irish players to me. And as i said if the game was on again tomorrow do i think we wpuld win..hell yeah.

You think ire woudl beat wales if they played tomorrow?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:29 pm

Slarti..can i ask you to point out where i said ireland would win. To reiterate the best team won on the day.

And yes if course i think ireland would win if we played again tomorrow .

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:30 pm

DOD wrote:Slarti..can i ask you to point out where i said ireland would win. To reiterate the best team won on the day.

And yes if course i think ireland would win if we played again tomorrow .

why?

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:31 pm

Gatts wrote:
DOD wrote:View. I dont make any excuses as to supporting France they have always been my favourite other team.

You think ire woudl beat wales if they played tomorrow?
Gatts,dont ask this numptie to think;he would probably pull a muscle!Not a nice fella but his Mam is quite fond of him.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

Because I am Irish and think we would not make the same mistakes again.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Taffineastbourne Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

Einstein,can you begin to enlighten me as to where exactly you think Eastbourne is in our universe?Having done so,how would the world be a better place?Genius.

Taffineastbourne

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

"And as i said if the game was on again tomorrow do i think we wpuld win..hell yeah."

?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by newbie Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

Hello...are we having some precious welsh folk on here....just because someone is disagreeing with them? Thats doesnt seem right.

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:39 pm

DOD I think I can see what you're saying...

So if Ireland played Aus again tomorrow - I think aus would win.

Is that fair?
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:40 pm

Folks, lets keep on topic and cut the personal abuse please. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so lets keep it civil.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 14 Oct 2011, 8:42 pm

if someone had that opinion and specifically an Aus supporter I am not sure how it could be argued against.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum