The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales vs. France - Man of the moment.

+11
flyhalffactory
Otagolad
niwatts
Gatts
maestegmafia
manofgwent
wales606
Knowsit17
slartibartfast
sirBiggles
Ozzy3213
15 posters

Go down

Wales vs. France - Man of the moment. Empty Wales vs. France - Man of the moment.

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:02 pm

Right, so there are plenty of threads on the match, with people giving their opinion on how each team team should/could/will/might/won't play, and what the final result will be.

My question is player related and is specific, who do you think will be the star man on the day? Who will rise head and shoulders above his peers and do what needs to be done to ensure his team a place in the final?

The man of the match almost always comes from the winning theam, so I have had to think long and hard about who I think will win the game, and having considered everything, the one man that I can see being lauded by his team mates at the final whistle is…

Luke Charteris

Whilst there are plenty who decried his ability to play at the very top level prior to the tournament, I think there are few who would dare to suggest that he has not been a key cog in Wales success so far. What has impressed me with him has been his work rate, and willingness to go the extra yard. He also seems to have worked out that his height is not just an advantage in the lineout, but can be utilised in other areas, such as defending mauls and making tackles. He has been good so far, and has been improving game on game, and I can see him being key this weekend. Wales need for him to disrupt the French lineout and deny them that platform, and I actually think that he will. I can see him being a real thorn for them, and not allowing them any advantage, which I think could be key in Wales securing the result.

So, that's my pick for who will be the man of the monent on Saturday, who is yours and why?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Wales vs. France - Man of the moment. Empty Re: Wales vs. France - Man of the moment.

Post by sirBiggles Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm

Reckon its difficult to say, not knowing the way the game will go.

However, I reckon Halfpenny could be instrumental in punishing french indiscretion from a looooong way back.

And it could be a close game so every 3 point will count.

Last edited by sirBiggles on Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos...)

sirBiggles

Back to top Go down

Wales vs. France - Man of the moment. Empty Re: Wales vs. France - Man of the moment.

Post by slartibartfast Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Lydiate I hope will be man of the match after stopping the french back row - I hope he'll stay fit for the final.

However, this game feels ripe for Herring order key to show his word class abilty against the "much vaunted Welsh back row", as they say on ITV.
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:26 pm

Good shout.

Charteris, like others in the Welsh squad, seems to have hit the form of his career bang on the right time. For the first time in my memory he looks like he's using his physical ability in exactly the right way. His lineout was almost flawless in the first game against SA and he showed against Ireland that his tackling can be superb. As you say he's become a workhorse in recent games, he seems everywhere during games and 16 tackles in the space of 40 mins is tremendous.

Hope you're right, about Charteris and the result.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:34 pm

Luke Charteris has been brilliant this tournament, however I feel all eyes will be on James Hook in this game, he has to step up and prove why he should be Wales' 1st choice 10.

Back to top Go down

Post by slartibartfast Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:35 pm

hook - he'd better step up, the last thing you'd want is for him to have a stinker
slartibartfast
slartibartfast

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Thu 13 Oct 2011, 8:47 pm

Mike Phillips (im sure I read somewhere he made 30 tackles in the last game) - Phillips will keep the French backrow weary around the breakdown and tackle like a flanker.

Also, he will have to keep Hook on a short leash, he has helped Preistland though, now he has another FH with more experience but far less gametime at 10.

If we win it will be thanks to Mike Phillips making the right decisions around the rucks, rather than Hook making them at FH (as partly happened against Ireland and Figi)
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:05 am

Back row battle. If Danny lydiate is MOM then Wales have won. People talked about the back row battle with the Irish, but the French have a superb back row. If we can Nulify them, then we'll win. Apparently lydiate was dieing in the changing rooms after the game.
On charteris. He went off at half time and made 6 more tackles than AWJ. Awesome.

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 14 Oct 2011, 12:08 am

I have a feeling this game will be class, France will hopefully turn up and give us a great game and Wales will improve again and be the winners...

I think if it is the tussle I hope it is going to be, that Wales win but Harinordiquy is a deserved man of the match

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 2:42 am

it will be from 1-9 or 12.

Philipps will be key as the extra man at the defensive breakdown, covering the quick pick and go, so that Sam can get busy burrowing.

Charters yes is key for his lineout and tackle rate. geth for his loose play and because he really likes turning over opp ball. I want to see a really solid job from him and AJ.

AWJ needs to step it up again and TF just needs to carry on carrying and being accurate at the breakdown

For me most likely it will be Lyds...if he puts in the tackles as he has been in the quiet workmanlike like way he does then it will dampen the French backs

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by niwatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:22 am

Parra, 5 pens and 2 DGs, the last in the 78th minute to claim a 1pt win.

niwatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gatts Fri 14 Oct 2011, 3:51 am

maestegmafia wrote:I have a feeling this game will be class, France will hopefully turn up and give us a great game and Wales will improve again and be the winners...

I think if it is the tussle I hope it is going to be, that Wales win but Harinordiquy is a deserved man of the match

If IH is MOM France will win

Gatts

Back to top Go down

Post by Otagolad Fri 14 Oct 2011, 4:51 am

C'mon Wales and go the AB's - Wales v AB's final will be epic

Otagolad

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:07 am

The player who will be the most important to Wales is your tight head prop Adam Jones if he can dominate Jean-Baptiste Poux then that will put paid to Nicolas Mas boring in on Bennett, and you will win the scrum battle.

He will never be your MOM because most of his work will go unnoticed , however he will be your most important on the day.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:31 am

Likewise, Charteris and AWJ in the line-out. Had a few wobbles against SA, but pretty sound since then. Nallet is very good. Claiming our own ball and containing any French maul will be crucial.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Oxford Welsh Sat 15 Oct 2011, 3:52 am

from 1-15 they all need to be the man of the moment and we can give France a hiding:

ADAM JONES is vital for locking the scrum, HUE BENNET for his workrate, GETHIN JENKINS for the turnovers and hitting the rucks, so too LUKE CHARTERIS for grunt and lineout (not bad defense either he barely misses a tackle!), AWJ for being an extra backrower, DAN LYDIATE is the key for defence (he tackles low and hard - chop the legs and they go down to allow the support to contest the ball) - and freeing SAM WARBURTON to Jackal and turnover - and continue being the best 7 in the NH TOBY FALETAU needs to defend well, offer himself in attack - offload when its on and not get isolated.

MIKE PHILLIPS for controlled aggression and needs to make some breaks to keep French back row honest, control the ball and keep the pace up - he loves playing France normally and is a key man today. JAMES HOOK is also key - dont push things, keep it simple and kick well - please no hail mary passes (intercepts!) tackle properly !!. JAMIE ROBERTS to bosh it up, offload and defend hard - ilkewise JD2 - be a bit inventive boys they will be so scared of your two so give it to men in space you make.

SHANE WILLIAMS to concentrate in defence and offer something different (they will fear him) dont get isolated. BIG GEORGE NORTH is due another storming game - to come into midfield on crash and also run back kickoffs please give him the ball in space and early and they will panick - gaps will open and he has the skills to capitalise - distribute. LEIGH HALFPENNY to "own the sky" and counter - again dont get isolated and big boot once more please.

So if we play as we can there's no way we can be beaten. But heads on boys, defend hard, keep possession and play what you see.

Oxford Welsh

Back to top Go down

Post by manofgwent Sat 15 Oct 2011, 6:43 am

Go Danny Danny. Danny Danny Danny Danny LYDIATE!!!

Sorry. I'm a bit excited.

This dragons v bath LV game is gonna be a cracker!!!

manofgwent

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 15 Oct 2011, 7:08 am

I'd really like to see the third member of the backrow unit, Faletau, come of age today. He's always had talent, but I admit that i thought he might be the weak link in what started the tournament as a fairly inexperienced threesome. At 6'2" he struck me as a little on the small side and I thought Wales would be better served by a powerhouse like Delve, but young Toby has completely made me eat my words. I'd be delighted to see him producing a Hairy-donkey-style performance against the great man himself. We've seen Warburton put on a 7 masterclass nearly the whole RWC, and we've enjoyed Lydiate scything down the dangerous Irish back row ball carriers, now it's young Toby's time - step forward today's MOTM, Toby Faletau clap - massive yds made with loads of barn-storming ball-in-hand charges and some huge tackles in defence

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Knowsit17 Sat 15 Oct 2011, 2:16 pm

Final result - Alain Rolland raspberry

For Wales I thought Phillips and Faletau both stood out.

For France Bonnaire.

Knowsit17

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:04 pm

Mike Phillips.(boy the hurt to say that.

I was thinking as the game went on if Wales do not score(try penalty drop)goal before the 60 minute mark, and the look what happens Mike Phillips scores a try that what. bang on 60 minutes, it is a pitty that Wales could not build on that try by Phillips.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

Faletau was fantastic today. He really seems like the real deal.

Phillips seems to have re-discovered his bite.

1/2p looked safe under the high ball.

Roberts made some bullocking runs.

Some good performances by the Welsh players but not quite enough on the day. I think they missed Priestland more than expected. Neither Hook nor Jones put their hand up today.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:08 pm

I thought Phillips shuffled them sideways in the last 5 mins instead of getting the ball out with some width when it was clear the French narrow defence was very organised OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:12 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:I thought Phillips shuffled them sideways in the last 5 mins instead of getting the ball out with some width when it was clear the French narrow defence was very organised OK
I think there was a bit of that. Also, I don't think Jones was being forceful enough in barking out orders for setting himself up for the drop. He just seemed to lack a bit of confidence.

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 15 Oct 2011, 4:25 pm

Yup, don't really understand why they didn't go for the DG when they were deep in the French 22

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down